Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Jastiger posted:

Follow up, should I not even bother on Pc unless I have a controller?

I played both of the previous games just fine with M+KB. Yes, you'll probably have to do some fiddling to get it working perfectly, but nothing major. If it doesn't work well out of the box (likely, considering the series' history) then there will be a fan patch or auto hotkey script to make it work that someone will pop out within hours of release.

Obsessive nerds will tell you that you're an uncouth heathen for daring to use anything but a gamepad, and they will want to explain to you in detail why their subjective opinion is correct. Ignore them and play with whatever you prefer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

I honestly don't get how you can play with a mouse since my problem with it was that there aren't enough buttons on it. If you have one of those fancy mouses with more than 3 buttons that's not an issue but with a regular one it seemed impossible.

Fair point, I do have a 5 button mouse which allows for mapping R1/2, L1/2, and lock-on all to the mouse buttons. But you could probably move some of those to keys instead without too much trouble. I just never got used to slow analog stick camera movement in 3-D games, so I stick to M+KB in any game that it's even remotely possible to use it in.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I'm kind of amazed to say that KB+M play just works out of the box. Didn't have to do anything, outside of rebinding for my preferred keys. I haven't had to download a 3rd party fix or run an autohotkey script to make up for stupid design decisions. It's magical.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Phoix posted:

It's a weird way to mask loads. That's the only place I've seen it be an issue so far.

Was wondering the same thing. Weird that they need to reload the area you were literally just in.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Bugblatter posted:

The shrine itself loads first so you don't have to wait forever every time you want to level up. Only place in the game that does this.

That explains it. Thanks. (Still would have been better to just let you level at every bonfire but eh)

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Nuebot posted:

This game seems to be making a lot of Demons Souls callbacks though. Granted Darksouls 2 did the same thing but she even chants something similar to what the black maiden or whatever did in Demons. It's probably the closest we'll get to a PC port of Demon's Souls.

Oh yeah, it's the Maiden in Black all over again for sure, right down to the chanting. And wearing some kind of dark blindfold or something, haven't really looked that closely. Already way better than bear seek seek lest lady.

Unrelated, anyone else noticing in widescreen resolutions that you get bars on the top and bottom of the screen that aren't covered when the screen fades to black or loads or whatever? Not a world ending bug, but somewhat distracting.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Staying under the boss's rear end was working so well until he decided to start using a charge attack that hits you if you're under him. :sigh:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Roll iframes seem a little wonky, at least compared to previous games. Just when I think I've got the feel for it again, I get plowed in the middle of a roll. This one doesn't have some dumb stat like 2 that I'm supposed to be putting points in to get a normal roll, right?

edit:

chunkles posted:

I've never done a Souls game on PC before, should I hook up my PS3 controller or is it okay with keyboard/mouse?

Most people will tell you to use a gamepad, but KB+M is the way I've always played Souls games, all the way through. It's perfectly viable, so just go with whatever you feel better on. And on this one KB+M actually works out of the box with no external fiddling required, unlike previous games.

BobTheJanitor fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 12, 2016

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Reacean posted:

There are many new weapons that you bring out an off-hand when you 'two hand' them. Dual Swords, Katana + wakasashi, dual scimitars, and more.

So dual wielding is about using one weapon but two handing it and magically splitting it in two, instead of putting a weapon in your offhand? I tried actually wielding two weapons for a bit but I couldn't really see a point in it. Maybe that's why, I was just doing it wrong.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I will say that the tutorial boss, and even more so the random hollows that hulk out, do get a lot of their difficulty from camera problems. Being a big giant monster on teeny human legs means that you have to get your camera crammed up their rear end to be able to hit them, and then you can't really see what you're doing. My first death in the game was to that random hulk-hollow on the platform with the archer, because I got squeezed up against a wall and couldn't see anything except oozing black polygons. :sigh:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

Best way to deal with the hulk hollows is to run up like a maniac and kill them before they pop. They go down in one hit if you make it fast enough.

Yeah I figured that out in short order. Very satisfying when it works, but the timing can be pretty tight.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I'm glad the run back to Bort is quick, because I spent a long time beating my head on him last night before finally getting a kill in. It seemed like a long way until I realized that all the enemies were easy to just run past and that I could just repeatedly roll off a series of platforms to get down to those stairs leading to his room without having to worry about those rear end in a top hat knights ever even seeing me.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

fish fingers posted:

Left of Firelink Shrine, still getting hosed up by him :negative:

Not sure what you've got for weapons, but I managed to bring him down after a handful of tries with the weapon arts strong hit with a longsword. It's got a good extra-long-range jab attack that lets you stay out of his whirlwind-of-steel range and zoom in for a poke and maybe a few follow up whacks. Roll away whimpering, repeat. Just watch out for those parries. :v:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

This seems to be resonating with the people

I found a somewhat hidden crystal lizard in one of the early areas and managed to rack up some good reviews with a message pointing it out, but the real returns are clearly in butt and/or sex jokes. :darksouls:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

96 spacejam posted:

Can someone recommend a walk through? Bunch of bullshit out there atm.

Find the nearest giant monster that makes you say 'what the hell is this bullshit, that's impossible' and grind your face on it until you win. Exult in the splattered entrails of your enemy. Repeat. This has been your Dark Souls walkthrough, hope it helps!

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Soarer posted:

Is this game playable with KB/M or is it just a poo poo show like the earlier games?

Perfectly playable without even needing any patch or external script or anything. The only jank I'm finding is menuing, which is still all labeled with xbox buttons. But you can right click and get a selectable list of all the buttons and what they do, so it's still functional.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Is frostbite just a PvP effect? The wikis don't seem very updated yet, but what I've found says it's for slowing stam regen. Wondering if the frosty sword is worth using, or just keep on poking things with the longsword.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Bardeh posted:

Apart from the graphics, the first thing that really strikes you as an improvement over the first two games is the amazing sound design. Those big snake zombies in the first zone after Firelink really loving freak me out with the horrific sounds they make.

The sounds are good but this reminds me: is the wind noise around firelink supposed to sound like it's constantly ramping up and then cutting off? I keep hearing that sound there, and in various other areas of the game, and I'm not sure if that's a bug or just an odd design choice. Just a constant whooooooooOOOOOOOSHHH-- sudden silence.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

turtlecrunch posted:

Reviews of the Prima guide :laugh:

Truly the Dark Souls of Prima guides. :golfclap:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Haven't really found anything to convince me to drop the starting longsword yet. Normally I like to go for big fuckoff slow weapons in souls, but since every monster in this game is apparently on fast forward, that may not be so viable. I tried fighting with a slower weapon for a little bit and gave up after I was getting the majority of my swings interrupted before they could connect.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

lets hang out posted:

It's soot, when you kill enemies it gets all over you. It's been happening the whole game.

May or may not be. There's the soot effect, but there's also a definite thing where it just darkens your entire skin tone dramatically like a full body mega-tan after accepting that guy's offer, which is separate from the spotty soot patches. Not sure if that's intended or not, because it went away later. :shrug:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

He's pretty tough early on. You can fight him, but its also entirely possible to sneak around him if you're clever.

Or lure him back to the dragon fire zone and let him get roasted

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Getting invaded by two people who T-pose float around like killer statues is awesome and exciting PvP! :shepicide:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

So that really high bridge area over the swamp. Is that, like, supposed to be a great big callback? Because even without the stray demon and the old school hollow spearmen and the dead hellkite drake, I was getting some strong deja vu. I get the feeling the answer is going to be 'keep playing the game' but either way that was a pretty awesome unexpected thing to find tucked away like that.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Frankston posted:

Mimics totally wreck my poo poo in this. gently caress Mimics.

I kind of like that they're a challenge now, to be honest. Previous games you just whacked every chest, and if it started to get up you whacked it a few more times and it died before it had even finished its standing animation. Actually having to dodge a few attacks and fight back is a nice change.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Your Computer posted:

I had a bug with him where he'd always start his conversation with the "Gaining admission to the Legion.. blah blah" stuff, both long before and long after I killed them. Then I figured I'd humor him and let him speak, and lo and behold his dialogue suddenly progressed further. I wonder how much stuff I missed from him because of that :saddowns:

e: and I had heard his entire Legion speech before that point, so it wasn't him just waiting for me to hear it before saying something new or anything.

You mean if I keep talking to that idiot he'll finally say something different? I usually do a loop around the firelink NPCs every hour or two, but if they start the same dialogue I just run off. I wonder if any others are bugged like that?

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

How does one deal with maggots

Try torch

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Plus some shields have different power stances. I have a shield that replaces parry with letting you do weapon arts without two handing.

Using it with a rapier is brutal

I tried one of those for about 2 minutes and decided it was a great way to get myself killed when I instinctively try to parry something mid-battle. Switched back to the grass crest, always be rolling.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I've been wandering around for half an hour now, where is the 3rd lever in the cathedral? I can see where there's obviously a wall it will raise that leads to more area to explore, but I can't find it anywhere. I've murdered everything in there, including the giants and the boss, but I still can't find that damned lever.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You need to get up to the rafters and drop down to a wooden walkway. Switch is nearby.

Rafters! Argh. Thanks.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

BobTheJanitor posted:

I've been wandering around for half an hour now, where is the 3rd lever in the cathedral? I can see where there's obviously a wall it will raise that leads to more area to explore, but I can't find it anywhere. I've murdered everything in there, including the giants and the boss, but I still can't find that damned lever.

Quoting myself to say that I was disappointed to find out that the area I was trying to get to was where the lever actually was. That's some :psyduck: level design. Relatively out of the way and hard to reach path leading back to where you already were. Didn't seem to be any point to it either, just some more enemies and that lever to get back across.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Mazerunner posted:

Hmmm.

Mmmmm.

Hmm.

You didn't fully explore it, did you? There's an enemy that drops the red soapstone, and a bonfire, and a covenant! If you hadn't completed the boss, it would have given the quickest and easiest boss run, as well. Not that the Deacons need it, but still.

Fully explore what? You drop off the rafters onto a little platform, drop from there to a larger platform, kill a bunch of maggot guys that ambush you and pull the lever which takes you back across, that's it. Unless there's some illusory wall hiding something, there's nothing more over there. :shrug:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Mazerunner posted:

There's literally, just... a path.

An archway door that leads to some stairs, right opposite the lever/big gate.

Wow maybe it's time for me to stop for the night. I have apparently developed acute blindness to the obvious.

Went back and found it now, thanks.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Really did not like the cheesy gimmick on the Yhorm fight. Doubly did not like that they put the gimmick item and the explanation for it inside the boss room. :rolleyes:

Also did not like the way that it punts you directly into the Dancer fight. I boned out of there to go spend my souls and then realized I had no idea how to get back. Thankfully google saved me, as soon as I started typing "dancer of the" it suggested "dancer of the boreal valley location" so apparently I'm not the only person falling into that trap.

Now I'm getting pissed off at dancer's ability to catch you in a grab that will do about 85% of your HP while you're in the middle of a roll behind its back. :shepicide:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Oh man, time to take a break. I've been ticked off at a few fights, but in a 'I see how to improve' way. Dancer is just something else. Something like 10 fights a row getting grabbed and one-shot while in the middle of a roll. Need to chill out before I headbutt my monitor.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

People talking about the trouble they're having with Wolnir made me go look at the wiki page for him. I think I may have fought a bugged version. My fight had no skeleton adds, and he never pulled out a sword. Just pounded the ground, swiped, and crawled towards me. Took two attempts, because on the first I didn't realize that getting too close was deadly. I wonder if the game is suffering from the same bug in Bloodborne that was making boss AI turn stupid after playing for an extended amount of time.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Can Dancer's grab attack just not be dodged? Did they just decide that this one attack in the history of the game needs to ignore iframes? I really want this fight to go away.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Everyone complains about invasions always pulling a whole party of people, but I've had the bluebie covenant on for most of the game and never had a single cop show up. It's like clockwork in every new area: beat a boss, get embered, get invaded, lose ember. I'd love to have someone come save me, but nope.

I try to give the invader a quick fun fight at least, not spamming flasks or anything. Of course everyone invading has got some PvP gimmick build with laser swords or whatever and I'm still waving my starting longsword. :v:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Vargs posted:

I think that you are supposed to use a shield in this game, unlike Dark Souls 2. I didn't have any issues with him while using a shield but I can definitely see where it would be pretty ridiculous without one. That shoulder charge in particular.

I'm still trying to figure out how you're supposed to play 'correctly' even though I'm 30 hours or so into the game. Shields don't seem very useful because every boss (and some normal enemies even) has a three or four or five attack chain that will drain your stamina and leave you doing the 'please stab my face' wavy arm dance. But dodging is a pain in the rear end too because of all the fakeout delayed attacks or those same giant chain moves that seem timed specifically to screw you over if you're chaining rolls. That and grab attacks that completely ignore iframes. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

King of the Storm? More like King of unbelievable camera bullshit. :argh: