Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
I'm interested in recording my more interesting deaths. What's the best method of "always on" recording on PC? I'm talking about the PS4 style recording of "press this button and it saves a recording of the past thirty seconds or so"

I have Windows 10, as well as an Nvidia card. Both Windows and Nvidia have this feature but I'm looking for the one that impacts the performance of the game as little as possible.

Any input?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Minrad posted:

if you've updated drivers recently, you should have geforce experience. open it and set up shadowplay.

be forwarned that you're going to be killing your hard drive slowly

ZZZorcerer posted:

Nvidia ShadowPlay won't have much impact

Thanks! I'll try Shadowplay, then.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
No crashes running at 2560x1440, high quality, with a 970 and i5 2500K.

The only issue I'm running into is my terrible ability and trying to kill the first boss.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
I've seen people mention a store being available early in the game but I can't find it.

Where's this store?

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Question regarding secrets, a specific covenant, and this early game boss: tree balls

Background info: I have been trying to get into the cage on the back of the Hollow Manservant in the Undead Settlement so he can take me to the Mound Maker guy. My stealthy attempts to get in that cage seem to make him notice me and attack. I heard that you can't do this if you already killed Tree Balls (since the tree falling down a level would kill the Mound Maker dude). I previously fought Tree Balls and caused him to fall down a level but then I died. The boss is still alive for me to fight if I traverse the fog.

The actual question: Because I previously attempted the boss fight, am I locked out of getting in that cage? Has anyone been able to get in there after partially fighting the tree? "Just try it, human being" isn't good because I have tried and I can't figure out if it's now impossible to be stealthy enough.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Shindragon posted:

I think aggroing that boss pretty much screws you out.

The Shortest Path posted:

The tree falling through the floor kills the guy who gives you the covenant item, you can see his body on the floor in the room. You're outta luck.

drat. I was hoping that since the boss arena resets itself I might still be okay. Oh well.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Shindragon posted:

If it helps you can join that covenant later so you aren't super screwed just.. uh dont' do what I did or you will really screw yourself out.

Basically, if you still wanna join it's later down the game. But whatever you do, DO not join the Rosaria's Fingers Conveant otherwise the person you are suppose to go with, leaves because she hates that covenant.

Can you respec without joining it?

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
It may be a lot to ask, but can someone give a brief summary of this whole covenant system? I hear people talking about sunbros, bluecops, etc. What's the significance? I'm new to the Souls series and I understand that online play is unusual. I just can't find a good summary of this nonsense.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

a cop posted:

They're basically factions. They let you do stuff to gain "reputation" which usually results in items or gear. Sunbros gives you a coin every time you successfully help someone in co-op. Blue cops are counter-invaders- if someone has the blue help-me thing enabled then blue-cops get summoned to their world when they get invaded. DS3 makes it easier than ever to switch between factions because it's just an item you equip in your menu (it's to the right of all your rings).

That's loving awesome.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Harrow posted:

Covenants modify how you play online. Some, like the Warriors of Sunlight ("Sunbros," so called because they're helpful), are all about being summoned to help other players. Your summon sign that you set down with the White Sign Soapstone turns gold, and you're summoned as a gold phantom, and you get rewards for helping others beat bosses. "Bluecops" are the Blue Sentinels, who are summoned to help members of the Way of Blue covenant when they're invaded by other players.

You can join covenants by finding their covenant items and equipping them in your covenant item slot (it's that equipment slot on your equipment menu that's surrounded by a diamond). As long as you have the item equipped, you're a member of the covenant. You can switch at any time to any covenant whose item you've found.

a cop posted:

They're basically factions. They let you do stuff to gain "reputation" which usually results in items or gear. Sunbros gives you a coin every time you successfully help someone in co-op. Blue cops are counter-invaders- if someone has the blue help-me thing enabled then blue-cops get summoned to their world when they get invaded. DS3 makes it easier than ever to switch between factions because it's just an item you equip in your menu (it's to the right of all your rings).

Hearing these things makes me really bummed that I lost the chance to join the purple guys for a while. :/

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

actionjackson posted:

How do I get down to the ravine near the tree boss? There's a bunch of loot

There's a locked door in the sewer with the rats.

EDIT:

Here's a longer set of instructions:
Get the Mortician's Ashes. You can find them on that path that's getting nailed by giant arrows. Give the ashes to the shopkeeper in Firelink Shrine. She'll then be able to sell you the key.

Macintosh HD fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 14, 2016

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
I have no idea... Despite knowing about that key and sewer door, I have no clue what's going on. :psyduck:

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Frank Eufemia posted:

Do we have a steam group/chat for this yet? I've been using the Dark Goon PC group for right now but there are usually only 4-5 of us in chat.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/dasgoonspc

More people should join the chat and complain about dying.

Please invite me so I can chat with you all about my many, many deaths.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

codo27 posted:

One recurring mechanic, if there is an elevator, you can almost surely step out just before reaching bottom to find goodies/secrets

Yeah, I'm surprised at what I found by hopping off an elevator too early. It was a pretty sizable chunk of Undead Settlement and a lot of people are likely going to miss it.

EDIT: Also, can anyone invite others into the Dark Goons PC Steam group or only the two adminy people?

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Is the Crystal Sage boss fight super easy or am I just improving in skill as I play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

They're pretty easy, don't worry, youre getting to the part where the difficulty ramps up pretty much exponentially

Alkydere posted:

Nah, that boss is pretty easy. I would call it Pinwheel 2.0 but there's enough poo poo going on in that boss arena that you can actually die just from random luck/eating twenty soul spears at once.

drat. I thought I was getting better. Oh well!