Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Finally beat the game, glad I did Nameless King before finishing things up as it basically made everything afterwards seem fairly straightforward. I gotta admit to being mad as hell on the final Boss when I killed him with one estus left.... and then he just regained all his health and got super ranged combo moves! but on my second try I got him down. Got the Usurp the Fire ending, not sure if I just wanna jump into New Game+ for the challenge or start up a new character so I can try something different for a change (maybe sorcery?) and actually do the NPC storyline stuff this time.

Speaking of which, I loving loved the end of Hawkwood's story - that was a great encounter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I've only ever played melee characters in these games, now that I've finished my first playthrough of 3 I feel like I wanna go through it again playing some kind of caster - should I go for sorcery or pyromancy?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Goofballs posted:

On my second playthrough and sorcery is rear end, wildly op in the previous games but deeply underwhelming in 3.

Sounds like pyromancy for me then, maybe this time I'll actually be the good student that the pyro NPC claimed I was in my first game.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

StrangeAeon posted:

Also, where the hell did my Crestfallen guy go? Haven't seen him in ages.

There's an optional area called Archdragon Peak, once you get an item there (twinkling dragon stone torso), when you return to the shrine and talk to the blacksmith he'll pass on a message. That gives you the information on where to find him if you so choose (I recommend you do).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Betty posted:

I love how the Nameless King was the hardest partly because the loving camera going apeshit during the first phase and not being able to see when he's winding up to swing at you. Second and third phase we're definitely challenging and I ended up just having to zerg the poo poo out of him into a stagger once he hit half health and did his two slow charge up lighting attacks. Definitely a super challenging fight because of his delayed swing times that just gently caress with your roll dodging.

It's funny how the first part goes from,"Oh my God this is impossible" to "yeah yeah whatever I gotta kick the poo poo out of you AGAIN :rolleyes:" because I was concentrating so much on getting to the second stage that the first part became almost muscle memory. It was so frustrating to get smashed a few seconds into the second stage (or even worse, most of the way through the third stage) and then have to go back to doing that "easy" first stage again.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Man Twin Princes are still wrecking me. I can do the first phase easily enough now but something about the second part just has me constantly slightly off. I almost did it once but discovered what happens when you kill the sword prince first then decide to back off and heal before finishing off the other one.

Something you may not have realized (I didn't) that may affect how you approach this boss - the younger Prince's health is the important thing. Don't worry about the Elder Prince being healed because once you kill the younger Prince the Elder will immediately die. If I had known that the first time I fought him I would have eaten the extra hit to get in one last shot and kill him rather than backing off and then getting caught by the recovered Elder Prince coming after me with a combo.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm going through the game a second time to do as many of the NPC quests I can, and hopefully pick up all the sorcery spells/rings/gestures etc - on my first playthrough I got the Usurpation of Fire of fire ending - obviously I don't want to do the same this time around, but I think I have to get the Dark Sign stuff in order to gain access to particular gestures (like Dignified Bow) and spells/items - I know I can cure those, but does it clash with any other NPCs/quests and make them refuse to talk to me if I do so?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Vermain posted:

Nope. Curing the Dark Sigil will prevent you from getting that particular ending again, but actually getting Yuria to appear doesn't conflict with anyone else.

Okay that's great, thanks. I'll just heal it up before I finish the game this time around.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm following along a checklist for a completionist run but their wording is sometimes a little vague, so this all helps a bunch. :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I almost never do any PVP so somebody explain what I'm sure is obvious to everybody else please - I was in the swampy area in the Road of Sacrifice and took an ember in order to get "invaded" by one of the NPCs - Yellowfinger. As we were fighting, I was invaded by another person but when they showed up they were blue. I was under the impression the blue guys were the "good guys" who help you out, and indeed the guy attacked Yellowfinger as well. After Yellowfinger died I went to use a bow gesture to show my appreciation when the guy just went apeshit on me and killed me, then bowed and returned to his own world.

So does it just not matter what color they are, if they enter your world they can (and will) kill you? In which case, what is the point of being blue or red?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

poptart_fairy posted:

In that specific area you can get invaded by a covenant which protects that place. There are two such covenants and you found the first. :haw:

They're all shades of blue but should be marked as Watchdog of Farron, or Aldrich Faithful, if they're hostile.

Ahh okay, that makes some sense then. I just saw blue and went:

http://i.imgur.com/lV7wt83.gifv

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Robo Reagan posted:

Is it just me or is it kind of :3: that Yorim or whatever his name is is so happy when you agree to the hollowing stuff that he dies from happiness? Probably the most upbeat NPC death in the series

There's also the one pilgrim who is really chuffed about you getting married :3:

Also color me surprised to discover Anri is a man on my second playthrough (this time as a woman) - it wasn't something I had even considered so I was really confused when I saw others referring to her as a him earlier in the thread.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

School Nickname posted:

Only he wants me to help him versus the Dancer of the Boreal Valley. :stare: I didn't even know that was possible.

I think if you kill Emma you get the bowl and can use it immediately to jump to the Dancer fight (and I presume get immediate access to Lothric Castle) but I can only imagine how long it would take to plink her down at such a low level.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That's canon

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Apr 28, 2016

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Harrow posted:

Reddit is saying the magic changes were exclusively nerfs, specifically to Great Chaos Fire Orb

But I was just about to get that on my pyro run :negative:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Krinkle posted:

I'm trying to get the Lord of Hollows ending. Assuming I did everything right, do I just do the exact same loving thing as the basic ending? I'm absolutely terrified to do so because the context of pressing X hasn't changed. I absolutely loving do not want to link the first fire. I want to steal it. Why does it still say "link the first fire" press x. I am 99 hollowed. I married Anri. Everything I google says 'approach the bonfire and it ends" not "link the first fire anyway and it works"

You've done everything you need to, ignore what the prompt on-screen says, you're going to get the ending you want.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I completely missed Rosaria my first time through the game, found her this time and.... yikes :stare:

The message to her side read,"Visions of mount, but... impossible" - stay classy, DS players :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Spoiler for Greatwood's bubbles' lore: Looks an awful lot like there are skeletons inside. So it's not just a landfill for bad juju, it's a landfill for people. Or at least undead people. Quite probably Hollow people.

Given enough time maybe he could have become Greatwood Nito :shobon:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bass Bottles posted:

Kinda weird question:

Is there a place in the game with a respawning, kinda big enemy with a decent sized health bar where you fight them in a round-ish room? Preferably humanoid, quick to get to, with no other enemies around.

There's the fat dude at the bottom of Undead Settlement, next to the stairwell between Vordt and Emma. The room is squarish with a fountain in the middle, and as far as I can recall there is only one other bad guy who is resting in one of the far corners and can be killed quickly without aggroing fatty. Does that fit with what you're looking for?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This just pissed her off :clint:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I just found a new corpse of an old friend from Dark Souls. Demon Ruins has a Quelana Pyromancy Tome set in the corpse of a giant spider body. Hmmmmmm! I didn't even know this was here, it's awesome.

I just picked that up today myself. There was a message next to it "Visions of loyalty" :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This time through the game I decided to save Anri, and now Yuria is refusing to talk to me.... but I already bought all the stuff I wanted from her :c00l:

I think I might miss out on a sword or something because of this but I don't mind since even though it's only a cosmetic thing it'll be nice not to be hollowed anymore.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

People weren't joking about Great Chaos Fire Orb, once I got it my pyromancy run became a hell of a lot easier. If this is the nerfed version I can't imagine how destructive it must have been before this - I took out Pontiff and Aldrich first try on this playthrough and even taking into account knowing them better now I think that's largely in part to the spell being so useful. That secondary damage is a godsend.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Harrow posted:

Apparently the nerfs were falsely reported. Someone tested on the Reddits and saw no change between regulation 1.05 and 1.06.

(Also if you're on PC you don't have the rebalancing patch yet)

Well in that case, I guess I'll just add my voice to the mix of thinking it's great then!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Harrow posted:

I see From still loves gank squads. Doesn't seem like you can pull those three guys in Grand Archives separately, either.

Love that they get Estus, too. And by "love" I mean loving WHY

You can't pull them separately as far as I know but you CAN separate them by using the window and hallway to cut the others off and give you a chance to deal with each on a one-to-one basis.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

NTT posted:

RE: Sirris/Fingers, you can collect the covenant from Rosaria, equip it, invade with it, collect as many pale tongues as you want, and also respec all you want, and you will not break Sirris quest.

Give Rosaria fingers for the hell of it and you will though. Only respec/invade using the covenant symbol if you want to keep that quest intact.

Source: I had rosaria's fingers on and took 19 pale tongues from Popeporch and didn't lose Sirris until I got the obscuring ring

The patch that allows for this happened AFTER I had passed the point in the game to get a gesture from Yellowfinger, so I'll have to NG+ to get that last gesture for the achievement. Kinda crazy that even following a completionist guide you needed more than one playthrough to do EVERYTHING, but I guess that is what the patch was for.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Manatee Cannon posted:

you can't do everything in one run anyway since there's at least one boss soul that can give you a unique spell or ring. unless havel's ring and boulder toss can be obtained elsewhere

Oh that's from Stray Demon, right? I know I got Havel's Ring from that on my first character and I guess Boulder Toss was the other option I could have taken?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Nakar posted:

A purpose and a steady supply of souls can keep a person healthy and potentially sane, and a lack of purpose can accelerate the curse. Compare Lucatiel in DS2 who can only make it as far as she does because you help her remember her purpose and Maughlin who becomes less rational once he realizes his dream of becoming rich. The shrine handmaiden also seems to enjoy pointing out that earning souls by selling poo poo to you is good news for her.

Blacksmiths are one of the most in-demand professions around in such a dangerous environment, and as Andre says a few times, being a smith is just what he does; it's who he is. Keeps him going. He might've also had a period where he was dead and came back as Unkindled as well. Regardless, it's unquestionably the same Andre from DS1 and the only excuse he ever gives is that he's a smith and enjoys it.

This makes sense when I consider that the giant Blacksmith stopped getting visitors once Aldrich set up shop :negative:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Huh, so depending on what side of the platform you jump off to get to the Nameless King, that'll be the side your souls are on if (when) you die to him.

I figured this out because I die to him A LOT - which is frustrating because with my pyro he actually feels a hell of a lot easier to fight than he did with my melee guy (I'm starting to suspect the win I got against him via melee was a fluke), but I'm so much squishier now that one mistake basically ends the fight for me.... and I make a LOT of mistakes. :sweatdrop:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

BTW, connected to nothing, but can we take a moment to appreciate how great Woljnir's death animation is

It is pretty loving great, agreed. Also love his big goofy smile outta nowhere when you first see him :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I did it. Somehow I actually did it.

I loving platinumed Dark Souls III. :suicide:

My hard drive got fried and I don't start work for another two weeks so I literally had nothing better to do. Getting the rings honestly wasn't that bad but farming 30 ears for that loving miracle was a nightmare grind that I never want to contemplate again.

Wait wait wait.... there are miracles/spells that are locked behind PVP hand-ins?

My dreams of getting all the achievements..... :negative:

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The deacons of the deep were a fun fight.

Dammit I don't see a red one :tinfoil:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

30 swordgrass for wolf ring, 10 ears for darkmoon ring and another 20 for darkmoon blade. Aldritch has a sorcery for like 10 dregs but thats easy to farm.

It's really, really loving terrible and I don't recommend it to anyone. Again the only reason I bothered is because I don't have anything to do right now.

Edit: Almost forgot, Rosaria also has a ring for 10 pale tongues. Basically every covenant except way of blue and technically blue sentinels has something you have to grid for if you want 100%.

Shiiiit, yep that ends my dreams of a complete run then. I don't really enjoy PVP at all and certainly don't want to grind my way through a collectathon for it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Lord of Hats posted:

And just two or three tries later, and Sulyvahn went down.

Did... Did I finally Git Gud?

Be warned, the moment you think this you'll get KOed by a trash mob.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Extortionist posted:

From pages back, but one thing I haven't seen mentioned regarding (late game/hidden area spoilers) Untended Graves: the orange soapstone messages you see are the same messages you see in Firelink--if you're in the UG shrine and find some messages and homeward bone/coiled sword back to Firelink, you'll see the same messages in the same places.

Though I don't know how that supports any of the theories I've seen laid out...

One thing I found neat (and it's probably more a technical thing than something deliberate) is that if you die to Champion, you can go to Iudex Gundyr's area instead and get your souls back from there without having to risk fighting the boss.

Monomythian posted:

Yes, loads of bosses and larger creatures like dragons kill smaller enemies all the time.

Also although mobs won't be aggressive toward reds, their attacks still damage them if they are in the way.

Just add it to the dictionary sized list of ways invaders can get hosed.

One thing that caught me by surprise is the demon on your way down to Smoldering Lake. I knew the Mimic would fight it but I assumed that was because Mimics are basically assholes who will gently caress with anyone, but on my latest playthrough the demon killed the Mimic quickly but then got swarmed by the resurrecting skeletons the next level down which just kept mobbing it till it went down.

I guess everybody just loving hates that demon!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 09:32 on May 3, 2016

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I stayed up way too late last night bopping people.

https://gfycat.com/EnragedUnripeHarvestmouse

I know it's just a default animation, but I love that the Host of Embers basically looks like he's just completely given up on everything at the end there :laugh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SnipeShow posted:

Well I literally followed the cheat sheet guide to keep Greirat alive. He's dead.

I'm following the same one and he lived, now I'm scared of talking to him in case I accidentally click,"Sure go try and steal from the unassailable castle of doom!" :ohdear:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Moon Monster posted:

Will Anri stay in the Church of Yorshka until I kill the Pontiff, or does something else trigger her leaving? I want to summon the Londor Pale shade for the gesture but also do the branch of her quest that makes Yuria leave.

I think that you missed your shot (if you want to get Anri's "good" ending) and you needed to have summoned Londor Pale Shade for the Abyss Watchers' fight to get the gesture. I'm pretty sure that if you want it now, you have to continue following along with Yuria's plans for Anri.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I've been rocking the same outfit for awhile now but finally found something I liked more - the Black Hand hat and armor looks so pretty in cutscenes :swoon:

Kinda wish I'd made a Clint Eastwood hollow now. :clint:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

turtlecrunch posted:

uhhhh
Do I actually have to do covenant turn-ins? :whitewater: Boo I never pay attention to the covenants.

Once you've joined, hand in a pale finger and leave the room then come back later, have a chat with Leonhard then leave and come back again. Leonhard has murdered her and retreated to his own world to keep her "safe" from everybody else, you have to kill him to get the soul back, at which point you can use it to resurrect her or trade it in to Ludleth. If you trade it in, you can still do all the covenant stuff with her corpse so.... well I guess maybe Leonhard was right in his own creepy stalker way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

turtlecrunch posted:

I'll have you know this was very hard to quote without reading the spoiler, but I'm glad it's just one, can do! Sirris disappeared or something on this playthrough anyhow so I'll go turn that in (then kill Sirris when she shows up all mad at me :black101:).

Sorry, should have thrown that spoiler on a new line!