Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
This is my first souls game since Demon's Souls. I've been using rolling like it's the dodge button in a Platinum type action game just assuming I'll have iframes if I time it right.

I know this is a tremendously dumb assumption but it's kinda worked pretty well so I've just gone with it... the Nameless King is making me think that was a bad habit to build.

Does rolling direction play a significant...role...in how the game calculates hitboxes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Ok that makes sense. I've been primarily rolling forward into most humanoid bosses so I'm in attack range basically all the time and it worked great for every encounter...but I've died 20x in a row to Nameless King so clearly I need to figure something else out.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Yeah I think I've definitely been rolling into his hurt box because my assumption was "hey I'm unhittable if I roll during the attack regardless"

While I'm soliciting advice... I'm playing a 2 hand strength build. Exclusively pumping points into strength, endurance and vitality as needed to stay below 70% load. HP is at 1000 which seems like it should be enough.

Is Yhorms machete my end game weapon? I started with Vordts Hammer and currently have the Executioner Greatsword +10.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Having to wait for the elevator and go down a ladder every time you die to Midir is such a kick in the dick. Really appreciate such a thoughtful detail.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

spaceblancmange posted:

i take pride in never once missing the roll or falling down the ladder

Almost happened to me once because there were so many blood stains on top of the ladder I played someone's death instead of hitting descend.

Finally beat Midir, and it might have been the most satisfying boss fight in the entire game once you figure it out. Definitely the one that gave me the toughest time besides Nameless King. The Princes and Lord of Cinder were a breeze after that.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Why is it when you equip a ring or use an item that raises resistance, the bar for that specific status pops up as if you've accumulated it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
I've been running through NG+ with a pure strength build whacking everything with FUGS and having a great time.

Kinda want to switch to dex to mess with some of the other weapons but I'd like to maintain my current level of wrecking everyone's poo poo. Any reason not to just swap the 66 str for 66 dex?