Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Ryen Deckard posted:

How viable is punchman options. The only thing I take pride in my life in is my ability to punch my way through all of the souls games.

Extremely viable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

gently caress. YES. gently caress YES.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Can anyone tell me what the hell the thread title is referencing? It's been driving me crazy.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Seathe being capable of betrayal and of having a library implies the dragons have enough intelligence for a civilization.

And this is pure speculation with nothing to back it other than the fact that Londor shows that it is possible to have cognitive hollows, but isn't it possible that all the dark run wild and oolacile stuff is a result of containing mankind's Inherent dark beneath a seal for so long? Something like keeping a soda can under pressure before opening it, maybe if you hadn't stuffed it in there it wouldn't be so volatile in the first place!

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

What I'm saying is, if not for the seal of fire, perhaps mankind might have been a race of ugly immortal sentient raisin-people with magical dark powers but with said powers generally under control.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Tallgeese posted:

The problem is that you don't know that, and there's no indication of that being the case.

I know, it's pure and utter speculation. I believe the series is intentionally written to have holes of information that can never be proven one way or the other, so such speculation doesn't feel nearly as out of place to me as it would in other franchises.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I'm only half an hour into the video but while I agree with him regarding lock-on and crowd control, and am sort of neutral about the whole armored knights thing, but his healing argument is all over the place. I'm not entirely sure what lifegems fix about his issues with healing mid-fight being too risky (you can slowly move while using them, maybe???) but I strongly disagree with his dismissal of attrition as well as finding opportunities during a boss-fight to heal as unfun mechanics. Maybe he doesn't like them, which I have no beef with, but he seems to be arguing that they are objectively unfun mechanics because some reviewers had a hard time with them.

When you're at low health and you know its not safe to heal and you have to dodge 3-4 attacks before you get a chance to back off and heal, that's really exciting and engaging to me. When you realize that you're going to take a hit during your current heal, but you can double-chug and rely on DS1/3's fast estus to survive at the expense of having to use up double your estus, that is a fun way of feeling like you hosed up without having to instantly die. If i remember right, double chugging in DS2 actually increases your recovery rate, and is something that is thankfully in that game, but he seems to overlook that entirely.

I also really disagree with his arguments about attrition, boss runs, and DS1's interconnectivity, but this post is wordy as it is.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

That'll teach me to spend 6 minutes typing a reply without checking to see if anyone responded.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

DS2 has really ugly textures and agility is stupid and the lack of ragdoll physics on enemies makes killing mooks way less enjoyable than in the other games. and it took until SOTFS to have permanently respawning enemies and soul memory is stupid. and the dlcs really arent as good as everyone says. source i've platinumed both vanilla ds2 and sotfs.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Brume tower is mostly good, aside from a couple annoying rooms and the run up to Sir Alonne being awful, but CoC respawning was absolutely not in the base game and using ascetics requires farming and involves kicking the game up into NG+ and is not really the same thing. Eleum loyce is real bad and Shulva is visually amazing but isn't very noteworthy to play through gameplaywise. The coolest thing about it is the armor ghosts, but the outside of the pyramid is just moving poison statues that are really tedious to deal with, or normal enemies but they do A Lot of damage. And Sinh stays in the air way too much, what is this, Rathalos? Honestly, within DS2, Lost Bastille is a much better zone than any DLC area aside from maybe the main tower area of Brume tower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

CoC respawning was changed in a patch. It is *absolutely* in the base game as of now.

Also, Eleum Loyce and Shulva are great and I'll defend them to my last breath and I honestly don't see in what ways Lost Bastille is better than the DLC or even comparable aside from the fact that it's... large?

It is now, but it wasn't for like a year and a half. I was using the past tense.

What do you think is so great about Eleum Loyce? I like Bastille because it has multiple avenues of entry, has plenty of secrets, and enemies that will swarm you if you can't deal with crowd control but that easily stagger if you can control them all. The location itself makes sense as a prison to hold undead ala the undead asylum, and it overall feels like a consistently solid experience. The fact that you can take a weird path to skip ruin sentinels is really neat. If I had to take points away from it, it'd be for those explody guys next to Straid.