Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Hello Thread!

I'm just downloading DS3 now after binging DS1&2 last year (too much too close together, didn't finish the throne of want / final boss sprint of #2 due to burnout) and wrapping up with Sekiro.

Coming back into it after a break, for the first game I did heavy armour & fat shields, second game I did agility man with no armour and powerstancing. Got some good tips in there (DS1 was "level vit", DS2 was "level this weirdass adaptability stat (AFTER VIT)"), what thingies should I 'really have to know' before starting DS3, basically blind? All I know is that it's the best or worst of the 3 games depending who you ask, it has a mana bar now instead of spell charges, and might have some DS1 callbacks. Totally unspoilered otherwise, thankfully!

Fun builds for a person who sucks? Pure-mage seems novel, but after playing Sekiro I'm not sure throwing fireballs will gratify me.
Common pitfalls to be aware of? Like don't spend souls upgrading early, or do, whatever? I know to put points into hp, that's been fairly well beaten into me...

Thanks in advance!

edit: And I have read the OP, fwiw.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Feb 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Cheers guys, can't wait to sink my teeth in on the weekend.

Respecs are nice, but honestly not enough in DS games as a bunch of your commitment isn't based on your stats. Like gear enchantment, gear purchasing, spells, time spend chasing down vendors who refused to talk to you before, etc. That comment about being stingy with upgrade materials is exactly what I'm talking about! I really appreciated in DS2 being able to swing weapons around when lacking their stats, as it gives good preview of 'gunfeel' without having to spend any souls or consumables.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Hey again thread. Been having a good time on my blind playthrough, rolled a knight and just did a raw infusion on the starting weapon and have been pumping all the auxiliary stats. It's time to actually commit to style, I'm thinking 'holy warrior', is that is a thing? Have raised hp to 1k, and 20 pts in the stamina and carry weight stats (terrible returns on that last one btw?), and only 1 pt in faith so I could use the basic heal, so I really really haven't committed anywhere at all. Haven't seen any faith beat-sticks, which saddens me, will I be disappointed if I try to do the hit-things-with-my-beliefs theme?

Also other noobie questions:
Do any of the covenants have use in offline play? So far they all seem summoning-orientated.
That guy in town offering me a free levelup for zero souls. It's obviously a trap option, but how much of a trap?
What's a spoiler-light explanation of armour and poise in DS3? I know DS2 changed poise a lot, but now the stat page is also implying that physical def is only a % absorbed now instead of flat reductions - have I misunderstood and been wasting time swapping to two-handed vs 'armoured' dudes?
Not a question, but this game is loving relentless with its callbacks, geez. Dragons camping with their fire breath, the taurus demon on a bridge, oh hey swamps! etc etc

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I was wondering where all the goddamn NPC summons where, as I'd only seen a SINGLE one so far (who invaded, fun fight). Turns out you have to have an ember on to see them? Hopefully not to get NPC invaded too. God I hope not, the availability of NPCs in DS2 during offline mode was great and it feels like a desert out here currently.

Also do you punch or press A to reveal hidden walls? Seen zero so far.

Thanks for the tips so far, eagerly awaiting my first holy gem drop as the smith now offers it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Uh, I never really figured out the 'trick' with the red-light-green-light guys in the jail who drain your maxhp, and now there's a room full of like eight of them that's wide open and I don't think charging at them Rambo style is gonna work. What exactly was I supposed to have learned previously, other than corner-ambushing and stunlocking?

Also finally found my first faith weapon, a greatsword from a skeleton boss. It hits exactly as hard as my raw-infused longsword, whoops? Not the sword's fault, I've just smeared my stats all over the place and it's gonna be ages till I can make something that hits hard. Sigh.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
So, suggestions/help for the faith beatstick in the mid game-ish? Basically I've been rocking this raw longsword all game and I've recently gotten the lightning enchant spell, which is excellent and fun. I spent my blessed infusion gem on a bident (huge mistake), and I have one lightning gem that I don't wanna blow on the wrong thing. I have finally started cranking faith and have 35fth currently. Weapon suggestions?
  • Raw Long sword: I get six swipes and can blender anything that it can stagger, awesome. Unfortunately, other than dogs nothing gets staggered to it, especially the dangerous stuff like knights or dudes with hard-to-interrupt (hyperarmour?) attacks.
  • The boss-souls greatsword from the big skeleton: Has faith scaling and I like how stuff reacts to getting hit by it. It's finally hitting harder than the raw sword BUT CAN'T CAST LIGHTNING ENCHANTMENT ON IT WHAT!?
  • Holy-infused Bident: Sucks terribly, sorry. Also I hate spear poking, I only enchanted it since I was desperate for anything that faith scaled. Rather big dearth of ones dropping naturally.
  • Mace: Looks cool, feels ok-ish if boring, not sure if it staggers enough? But is basically the perfect role-play of what I want to be: in the cursed cathedral area near the two giants, there where some heavy armour bruisers with greatshields who buffed themselves? Yea I wanna be them.
  • Mysterious weapon that's totally gonna drop soon, just you wait: I'm getting sick of waiting for the perfect toy to drop. Ideally it'll be one-handed so I can keep using this 16Str greatshield, not impractically ponderous, yet still have some good stagger when I smack people with it. Oh, and has faith scaling and can let me enchant it with this lightning spell which feels like the only paladin-like thing I've gotten ahold of. And a pony, please.

Should I blow my lightning gem on the longsword to stack the elemental damages, keep the longsword as raw as the lightning buff works off of base damage (???), maybe try out a very vanilla weapon which has escaped my notice as so far? (16Str/13dex fwiw)

Thanks in advance!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Where you able to sell items directly from your inventory in DS2? Because every time I see another trash drop in my inventory I die a bit.

Also I'm gonna complain about that Dancer of Boreal boss now. Not because it was hard, but mostly due to the camera. Special callout to getting shoved into the fight immediately after winning another boss fight, and when I boned-out I'm left wondering where the gently caress that arena was, exactly? Basically took a loving sightseeing tour around all cathedral environments until I saw a mist door.

Speaking of the camera, the big black blobs sticking out of peasants are back, and I can't fight them at all as most of the fight is spend trying to rotate the camera so it's far enough away to actually see what their attacks look like, nevermind not being inside the enemy model. Ugh.

I eventually settled on the Holy Sword of Woljnir, it staggers knights well enough and has good range. And I have poise now, yay! But these 40 points of faith are brining nothing to the table, it's a goddamn tragedy; I cheated and looked at the wiki, and it tells me all my utility spells don't scale with faith, and nuking dudes with lightning is somehow still terribly inefficient.

Very bitter moments in my currently playthrough.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think I'm actually gonna shelve the game. For a week at least, probably permanently.

To respond to a few comments:
-Yes I've been upgrading my chime, I think I just smeared my stats all over and am bad at everything.
-Vs the black goo snakes, that fight was probably harder and took more tries than some boss fights (although shorter), even after tagging it with firebombs. Laughed when I saw there where like 3 more in the area.
-Sunbro covenant not terribly relevant as I'm playing offline? Also the total lack of NPC interactions is puzzling. I know probably most of the friendly ones have broken quests and/or I've missed them in the wilderness (like I've yet to see a pyro nor magic tutor), but even the lack of NPC invasions is dire. I looked it up, turns out there's only like six invasions, most of which disable if you killed the local boss. Pretty pitiful after ds2.

My epiphany kinda hit when I realized that despite having like four different paths open to me (Andariel DLC: crow assassins in their village, huge viking warriors, Lothric city black goo snakes, and the dragon-bridge area), I honestly cbf working on any of them. Especially that dragon one, which isn't challenging or anything, but when I saw it breathe fire again after I'd looped to the side I just gave a big sigh and was like "get a new idea, please". Like seriously, this game's really not been speaking to me. And it's not as if I'm burnt out on Fromsoft games or anything! I just did Sekiro after ds2, and loved every dang minute of it!

It just feels like... I'm rehashing boring ground here. I've got two new shiny games waiting for me, gonna play those instead.

Thank you for the help thread, just my 2c from a guy running through the Fromsoft games in recent years. Might give Elden Ring a go whenever I upgrade my PC. Cheers!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Waffleopolis posted:

I just beat Dark Souls Remastered last night! Having fun, so I am just jumping into Dark Souls 2.

I am thinking of doing a straight up caveman build. So just focus on VGR/END/VIT/STR? What would be good caps for them?

Having JUST DONE THIS last year, I will warn you: DS2 is much, much longer than its predecessor, doubly so with the DLC stuff. Beware of burnout.
Also of note is that Poise gets weird and fucky, you might get your big hammer swings interrupted a lot. Everyone always remembers to nag about the adaptability stat (need to raise it to get more iframes on your roll, your roll sucks at game start regardless of carry weight), but adaptability still comes a distant second to cranking HP, as several early game enemies can cheerfully combo your entire hp bar otherwise.

Soft caps are still 40 for most normal stats iirc.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

giZm posted:

Archthrones demo on Friday

A fan mod, I take it? Just rebuilding areas using the assets at hand?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
So after a week's hiatus, I came back to my failed faith build after reading a bunch of spoilers on the wiki, found the respecc lady and went into full caveman bonk. Game instantly became substantially easier and more enjoyable (thank you whoever suggested that!), and have made a lot of progress since. Will write a lot of words about it later, but I will say that the later bits of DS3 really seem to have gotten their own flavour - I just finished the grand archives and its surprise cherubs, belly of laughs all the way through that level.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

No Dignity posted:

Every boss just being a mix of bosses from other games is a pretty big downer too imo. I was flicking through a stream of them and one guy was just Radagon in the first phase and then just Artorias in the second, cool

You know, I wanna say "so what, I don't even know what those attacks would look like" then I remember being so goddamn pissed off at like 3-4 Taurus demon fights in vanilla DS3's first half, so yea fair cop.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
So ever since I read the wiki and respecc'd I've been having a grand time roleplaying as Smough. I'm using his hammer, finally got enough stuff to use his atrocious armour, and have been fat-manning my way through everything. The perseverance skill is amazing, I cannot believe how powerful and efficient it is compared to the lovely sword stance stuff from before. Anyways, am wrapping up archdragon peak (what a mean way to hide a lategame area) and have finally 'finished' my stats, which is basically 40's across all the dumb bonk stuff once you take into account the prisoner ring bonuses.

Then the penny dropped that I don't have to be using Smough's stuff anymore, Havel's gear just dropped and Gundyr's armour looks plenty efficient. Any recommendations on dumb heavy playstyles that's not just facetanking bosses as I abuse perseverance with a 2h hammer? Looking for ideas like putting a pt in intel to use magic shield with the greatshields, or maybe some weird poise trick I've not cottoned onto yet.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, but unlike when you raise stamina which unlocks qualitative changes like being able to swing another time, extra resistance to foo is really questionable in DS games. Not like, elemental resistance such as fire or dark, but the buildup bars. The opportunities where the resists foo rings are good picks are few and far between; Poison swamp? Yea no the poison resist ring and stats are worthless. Boss that does status effect X? It probably 3-shots you for it, better to not get hit and pick a ring that lets you roll another time. Did that same boss proc the effect since your bar was so full from an attack from ages ago? Yea, maybe if rings accelerated the speed that the status dissipates it'd be nice, wouldn't it?. The rings only really hold a use for when you have terrible foo resist (early game?) but need the capacity to fight a normal enemy without it proccing before they die, such as the bleed manakins in DS2. Super niche.

The status buildup things, specifically how they are resisted, feel dumb and bad and only exist as such in Fromsoft games for a reason. The weird UI on equipping a ring is just a symptom of it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm sure that's the deliberate reason I get six status bars every time I load up the game with prisoner's ring on.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The discussion is 'why on earth wouldn't it just work the way any sane person would implement it'. Its not the end of the world, its just a baffling annoyance.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

goblin week posted:

This is gonna sound like a joke but you can just use a shield to block the lava damage.

No way.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I found another one.

In the Ringed City DLC, land of ashen zombie things, with angels firing laser beams and sideways castles, there is yet another poison swamp.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think that's the third one in DS3 alone?

Farron Keep swamp (the crab swamp beforehand doesn't count)
BLIGHT swamp with the black snake things
I feel like there was another one in here that I'm missing. Probably due to the proliferation of non-poison swamps.

Has Miyazaki even *been* in a swamp? They're not really poisonous, more truly stinky and not really able to traverse in straight lines. He's got it all wrong!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It might be a pyromancer issue, I rolled the knight and nothing in the High Wall seemed noteworthy other than the first Lothric Knight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Counter argument: Longswords are just long daggers, functionally they can't stagger anyone who's not naked in PvE and provide no benefit to the the knight's poise. But they sure to buzzsaw through things fast, which might be all you care about.