Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
hey i raise guinea fowl and right now i have nine 48-hour-old keets of various colours that i thought you might like to look at. i didn't want to spam the chook thread especially as guinea fowl technically aren't chickens.

for those who don't know, guinea fowl are a species of ground bird from guinea in africa. they're pretty easy to raise, about as easy as game chicken breeds, and they'll happily form a flock both with each other and with chickens so the two species can be housed together. (as opposed to other game birds like quail and partridges and i think turkeys and peafowl too, which will only bond with each other and can be dangerous to / in danger from chickens if kept in the same enclosure because all birds are fundamentally mindless killer-consumers that will murder anything that bleeds). so far in my experience mature guinea fowl are no more aggressive than mature chickens and are probably actually less so. the only reason they're not as common on small farms is because they make bizarre loud noises like a rusty gate being slammed and because if they're not carefully acclimatised to the henhouse they'll disappear into the wild first chance they get, and also because some people would say they're fugly when they grow up

i don't agree though

and the keets are definitely the cutest thing ever to have come out of an egg.

they're as soft as they look

these two will grow up to look exactly the same as those adults up there, with identical colour and markings (called lavender and pearl)

these are the best shots i've managed to get of baby bird eye colour. birds are born with bluish-greenish eyes just like everything else!

when the brown ones get old enough to outrun a goon (so about a week old) and take off into the paddock they're impossible to find. my jack russell tracks them down and then freezes on the spot watching them with hungry eyes until i come and pick them up. he just taught himself to do that, i had no input, but it's been very useful

that's a tiny, tiny wing

this one looks exactly like a young japanese quail. the brown ones with striped heads grow up to be pearl (dark brown or black with white spots) and the ones with white masks become piebald

i tied a tuft of chicken feathers together because chicks in a brooder get upset if they don't have something to snuggle up to. they don't die or anything, they just squeak like crazy for the first few days, especially at night. anyway that's their surrogate mother and i figured out after the escape that they were much happier if i put it on the grass for them to chill out under.

husbandry tip: for the first few days, check the newborns' bums regularly! that bit of dried poo on the brown keet's anal opening could easily clog the rectum and cause a fatal waste build-up if it was allowed to stay there for too long. (i removed it after taking the photo, obviously)

interlude

plotting something

the piebald one escaped under the air conditioning unit straight after i took these photos and it took me about twenty minutes to pester it into an open space and then sweep it out like a bit of dandelion fluff, it was very upset but then it went to sleep in my hands so i think we're good

before making a break for it, it had a nap to gather its strength

the fugitive after recapture. holding them like this looks brutal but i find they calm down a lot quicker if gentle pressure is applied from all sides at once, like most baby animals, and it also pins their wings and legs so they can't hurt themselves

thank you for reading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.
good thread imo.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Thanks for sharing they are absolutely adorable and it brings back memories of the years I lived in Africa as a child. If you don't mind me asking, why do they need a substitute mom to snuggle up to, don't they have the real thing?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Brick Dust Otis posted:

good thread imo.

:agreed:

I had no idea that "keet" as actually a real term. They are

so cute

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Fuzz Feets posted:

Thanks for sharing they are absolutely adorable and it brings back memories of the years I lived in Africa as a child. If you don't mind me asking, why do they need a substitute mom to snuggle up to, don't they have the real thing?
my actual chicken chicks are mostly naturally hatched and have mums to brood them, but unfortunately neither guinea fowl nor quail are particularly good parents so it saves a lot of trouble and heartache just to incubate and brood the eggs myself. japanese quail very rarely go broody (i'm working on trying to create a perfect enclosure where mine will, but not quite there yet) and guinea fowl tend to abandon their keets for hours at a time, which is ok in their natural climate but where i'm living it gets too cold and i've found out the hard way that keets are extremely sensitive to cold and damp, much moreso than chickens. watching birds rear young is fascinating though and i'd love to be able to get all my species to a point where they can do it all naturally.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Thanks for the thread! They are sooo cute :3:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

The Narrator posted:

:agreed:

I had no idea that "keet" as actually a real term. They are

so cute
Yeah I always thought avs was referring to them by the noise they make. Oops.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
It's kinda like "puffling". Just one of those animal names that are inherently adorable

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
If you could send one my way avs, I'd be much appreciative.

e: Maybe some kind of guineafowl - quail swap?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
Yay :) these are so cute!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Oh god. :3:

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
How can I pet these keeeeeeeeeeets?

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
Good keets I approve. Always wanted some of these just wandering around but my dogs would massacre them in a heartbeat.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
How do they taste? I mean once grown.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Vladimir Poutine posted:

It's kinda like "puffling". Just one of those animal names that are inherently adorable

Puffling. Keet.

Puggle.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
how are the keets

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

willus posted:

how are the keets
keets

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I'm still waiting for video with keets' noises.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
my keets

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
I think we need some keet updates

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
im getting guineas in june, im really excited. they are cool and weird birds and having something that wont die instantly when it touches the ground like turkeys do sounds neat

slavatuvs posted:

How do they taste? I mean once grown.

similar to pheasant. supposedly a lot of restaurant "pheasant" is actually guinea

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

I thought this thread was gonna be about parakeets but it turned out way cuter than I expected

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Radio! posted:

I thought this thread was gonna be about parakeets but it turned out way cuter than I expected

I thought this thread was going to be about Akitas. Wrong keets.

I approve alternate keets. :colbert:

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Guinea hens are amazing! I miss our ladies so, so much. MORE PICTURES, PLEASE.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
sorry, forgot to check the thread for a few days!

anyway the keets went through their ugly feathering stage and now have quite a bit of their adult plumage. they are getting into the gangly teens. yesterday they were allowed to forage for the first time and spent all day running around the paddock whistling at each other. they're starting to develop the hunched guinea fowl shape, they remind me a bit of old widows. as they get older they start to chill out a bit, which is good because i can't catch them and instead have to herd them toward wherever i want them to go; younger keets just scatter in a panic but my flock sort of jostle calmly along and can be directed. the important thing is that they're still completely ridiculous and will remain so for the rest of their lives

you can see a bit of the pearling starting to develop on this one. it leaves the tiniest, most delicate little spotted feathers lying around, they're delightful

the crew spend the mornings sunbathing around the verandah and then as the day gets warmer they migrate out to the field

i have an extremely intense little dog

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
How old are the once-baby keets now?

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
they're about a month old

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

And how long till they become those unnerving behemoths in this picture?

Do you, like, eat these things?

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
the grown guineas are about... four months old i think? they'll look like that in miniature in another six weeks or so. the head is always the last part to lose the downy baby feathers so they'll remain fluffy-faced darlings right up until suddenly all their head fluff falls out and they turn into alien vultures

i don't eat them yet but apparently they're delicious! i'm going to see what their eggs taste like (guinea fowl eggs are about 2/3 the size of a chicken egg and they're mostly yolk with very little white, similar to quail eggs) and until then i'm using them mostly as organic pest control. they scratch less than chickens do, preferring to dig with their excellent beaks, and are mostly insectivorous (compared to chickens which eat everything) so they do comparably very little damage to plants and soil. our orchard gets decimated by fruit fly every year and most of the insecticides available are harmful to delicate australian finches so i'm eager to explore alternatives, and if they turn out to be as good at eating grubs as i've been told i can start selling them to farms and wineries around the area

when i started raising birds i was gung ho about eating them but it's turned out to be a bit of a stumbling block for me. i'm fine with killing and prepping them but when it comes to actually eating their flesh i get kind of fluttery

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Avshalom posted:

when i started raising birds i was gung ho about eating them but it's turned out to be a bit of a stumbling block for me. i'm fine with killing and prepping them but when it comes to actually eating their flesh i get kind of fluttery

When I was on my grandma's farm in jamaica I was so loving ready to eat the chickens after a while just because of how mean those assholes were. How do guineas compare in sheer shitiness?

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
all my chickens and guineas are sweet perfect angels!

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

keets

keet meet

keets

keets

mighty eagle

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
ugh theyre so fuckin cute

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
My uncle used to keep guinea fowl and they were cool until they all decided to make that god awful shrill holler they make at all hours all of the time.

I like that I can look at the cuteness of yours without having to deal with associated bird yelling.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Good birds good thread good job.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
avshalom does a good job of whatever she sets her mind to

this can be to her detriment at times

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Tamarillo posted:

My uncle used to keep guinea fowl and they were cool until they all decided to make that god awful shrill holler they make at all hours all of the time.

I like that I can look at the cuteness of yours without having to deal with associated bird yelling.
i love that sound! my grown guineas (whom i think are both male) sound like laughing decrepit robots when they go off. NYEENK YEENK YEENK YEENK

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Ausrotten posted:

ugh theyre so fuckin cute

keets more like cutes :kimchi:

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
:siren: two keets went for a swim :siren:

if you're wondering, no, keets can't swim. luckily my mother happened to come along as they were swimming in circles like rubbish ducks and she fished them out with a net. both were drenched and hysterical. i got into bed with them under my shirt until they'd dried out and stopped shivering, and now they're both asleep on my lap wrapped in a towel. disaster has hopefully been averted - they recovered quickly enough that i don't think they gulped down too much chlorinated pool water, and i'll keep them with me tonight and put them back with their family tomorrow

shabbat shalom everyone

e: haha i even had a photo of the culprits

it was these two idiots, the pearl and the masked bandit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
[keeting intensifies]

• Locked thread