Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Sadly DaS1 is the outlier in the Darkbourne series when it comes to leveling up, every other one requires woman ahead therefore tongue but hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

lol if you're making a character resembling human. half the fun is making the most hideous monstrosities possible.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

hell yeah, dark souls even has a button that's basically "do you want to make a hideous monster y/n"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlKnEgPEGmA

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Fister Roboto posted:

Sadly DaS1 is the outlier in the Darkbourne series when it comes to leveling up, every other one requires woman ahead therefore tongue but hole.

Plus the story in DS2 sets it up in a subtle way where it really fits the narrative they were going for.

I'm gonna make a terrible lore post now so I apologize

The Emerald Herald is revealed to be named Shanalotte, created by the dragons to break the undead curse. So she's not human and she's not born in to the world without purpose like every mortal creature. But it lines up with the background of the other "queens" you meet in the game, the daughters born of different parts of Manus when he was killed in DS1. Each being something that was created to march kingdoms to ruin and chaos, and in a way the Emerald Herald is the player's queen. She's an immortal creature who devours souls just like the other queens, but instead of using a single host she has the player to funnel them to her. Difference is instead of pushing for Chaos, she pushes for the rekindling and even puts the player down the path of literally earning their crown. She's still an agent of Chaos, but one that realizes that without disparity that fire brings to dark that chaos cannot truly exist.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

look at this nerd who should be stabbing mans instead of posting lore

i'm unkindled bitches, and all i know is i have no soul and i'm gonna kill everybody

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

look at this nerd who should be stabbing mans instead of posting lore

i'm unkindled bitches, and all i know is i have no soul and i'm gonna kill everybody

I know, but I really just dig the aesthetic, the music, use of sound and voice work as well as the killing. I like that they tell a lot of the story through game play and watching what happens around you instead of just telling it to you. Always learning new poo poo and always bewaring of but hole therefore roll

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
So leveling weapons is way more important than characters? I was seeing that there are soft caps on character attributes. I don't want to waste my precious souls on stuff :ohdear:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

holocaust bloopers posted:

So leveling weapons is way more important than characters? I was seeing that there are soft caps on character attributes. I don't want to waste my precious souls on stuff :ohdear:

Wait what? I've been cashing in on character levels but souls are scarce so every point is precious. This would explain why titanite seems to be raining from the sky.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

iframes.mp4

https://fat.gfycat.com/MilkyThoroughCockroach.mp4

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
So I restarted SotFS because I wasn't getting anywhere. Rolled a sorcerer and I'm having a much easier time, haven't died yet and I've cleared half of Forest of Fallen Giants.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Mustang posted:

So I restarted SotFS because I wasn't getting anywhere. Rolled a sorcerer and I'm having a much easier time, haven't died yet and I've cleared half of Forest of Fallen Giants.

Once you get parrying times right or a giant gently caress off shield the game goes from hard to very manageable for melee. But magic is definitely way more friendly before that

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I was never very good at parrying

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

I was never very good at parrying

Usually if you were bad at parrying in DS1 you'll be good at it in 2. Since the requirement for when you engage the parry in the animation changed, but big wind up swings are normally easier to parry because they telegraph

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

What the gently caress, killed The Pursuer on my first try this time, using the Fire Sword like before. Somehow I have 4 rings this time around too.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Jesus Christ I think I need to start drawing maps for this poo poo. These levels are ridiculously mazey.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

My new char is 15 lvls higher, cleared Forest, Heides, No Mans Wharf and starting on the Bastille, one shotted every boss, and an hour less playtime compared to my old char stuck on Pursuer and Heides tower.

I think I'm finally in my Dark Souls groove now.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Hey so High Wall Of Lothric has a few curve balls huh

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Mustang posted:

Sorceror is much easier than melee classes imo and honestly its been the class i like playing the game with first

Once i beat it then i start looking online for sick builds and start playing fashion souls

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Hey so High Wall Of Lothric has a few curve balls huh

ds3.txt

the enemies are real bastards and they dont give a gently caress how much poise you have. if you get hit youre getting stun cancelled. got kinda mixed feeling about some of the bullshittier moves a lot of even basic enemies can pull, and the fact that geometry doesnt stop their swings while it sure as gently caress stops yours. i actually had a spear knight almost stab me through a solid wall, like i had left the room completely and was around the corner from the doorway and he just sticks his tip through like its a loving magic gloryhole

also not too thrilled about the dual wielding, and using a 2 hand grip on 1 hand weapons doesnt give nearly as much of a damage boost as ds2. not sure if they got rid of powerstance, but if they did then that sucks cuz the skills thing they have now is kinda lame

still loving the exploration and the crazy vertical world design. miyazaki loves his dizzying heights

wasnt too long before i took that i was mucking around in that swamp way below

im also having way too much fun trolling the mobs after i kill them or when i lure them into a dastardly trap

i got a lot of shots where im mocking their corpses, ill probably post em later

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I don't know if the AI has an adaptive system or the enemies I'm facing simply have a guard busy move in their repertoire.

DS3 seems to push a more offensive play style.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

I don't know if the AI has an adaptive system or the enemies I'm facing simply have a guard busy move in their repertoire.

DS3 seems to push a more offensive play style.

unless you wanna dual wield, then it seems to punish you. good luck rolling past enemies

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

unless you wanna dual wield, then it seems to punish you. good luck rolling past enemies

Yea I'm having trouble consistently rolling out of the way. Seems hit or miss. That could very well be me too.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Blight Town 2.0 can eat a dick. Is there anything to make you move faster through the muck?

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Blight Town 2.0 can eat a dick. Is there anything to make you move faster through the muck?

rolling. dehumanize yourself and face to muckshed

time to git guddar

:darksouls:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

man this seems a lot more difficult than ds2

also it definitely feels downright bloodborne at times

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

rolling. dehumanize yourself and face to muckshed

time to git guddar

:darksouls:

Try attacking the bridge.

Also hell yeah fallen knight bros :hf:

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

man this seems a lot more difficult than ds2

also it definitely feels downright bloodborne at times

i did not alter that screenshot, there was like a score of skeletons that popped up behind me. each one of those bastards takes me 3 hits to kill with a +4 uchigatana. somehow i managed to kill em all, thats the majority of their bones in that stairwell through some amount of fuckery to be sure

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nito, uh, got an upgrade :stare:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

So apparently I took a wrong turn somewhere and skipped over several entire zones, basically getting my rear end kicked in zones that are way above my level for hours. Classic Dark Souls.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

So apparently I took a wrong turn somewhere and skipped over several entire zones, basically getting my rear end kicked in zones that are way above my level for hours. Classic Dark Souls.

what level are you mate? :allears:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

please dont take my previous post as criticism i think this game is rad and i want to learn everything about it

i yearn to git gud

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

Same. Took a wrong turn in the swamp and ended up heading for Castle Lothric instead of Anor Londo.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

please dont take my previous post as criticism i think this game is rad and i want to learn everything about it

i yearn to git gud

nah dude i agree with you completely. its definitely got a difficulty spike compared to the last game. theres also a lot of bloodborne looking poo poo in it; the level design, a lot of the enemies, the mobility thanks to how slow stamina drains

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Well I'm done for tonight. They did the black knight archer setup in Anor Londo again, except this time there were at least five of them. Got knocked off an survived the fall, and the corpse I landed next to had the dragonslayer greatbow on it. For once I was glad to get knocked off by those dicks.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
is anor londo after that sage boss?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Man, the Pursuer is a dick. I'm in a huge fight in Lost Bastille and then the Pursuer comes out of loving nowhere and fucks my poo poo up.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Mustang posted:

Man, the Pursuer is a dick. I'm in a huge fight in Lost Bastille and then the Pursuer comes out of loving nowhere and fucks my poo poo up.

By the first Bonfire coming from the Wharf?

He's actually easy to beat here if you can keep him trying to come at you from a corner if you have a lancer or spear with decent damage, he'll just keep trying come around and you can just pop off a power attack, roll away and make him come from the other side

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Haven't been able to get as much time in DS3 as I'd like because I get peer pressured into playing the Division since the incursion is new but god drat is it fun being roll-man. I just love rollin.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Yeah, I wasn't expecting him at all. I didn't even know he was there until he flew in from behind me while I was fighting a pack of dogs and trying not to get shot by arrows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Mustang posted:

Yeah, I wasn't expecting him at all. I didn't even know he was there until he flew in from behind me while I was fighting a pack of dogs and trying not to get shot by arrows.

He shows up at a few places in the Bastion, to be honest if you can kill the other guys from range before going down, he's super manageable down there because of exploiting that corner like I mentioned. Everywhere else you fight him is a flat arena from an ambush where he has a serious advantage in speed and maneuverability

• Locked thread