Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

this poo poo is all funny but it reminds me that i spent hours making up games or additions to existing ones and making crazy detailed .doc files that were dozens of pages long as a kid/teen and now i wanna see if i can dig any up and see how retarded i was
Do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

If you go through the whole game with out playing as Luigi, after you kill
Wart, you will see Luigi. He won't be very happy. He says "Because you
didn't let me help you in your adventure to destroy Wart, later when
you need my help, I won't be there to help you. You are on your own
from now on." Then you view the credits. After the credits, you wake up
screaming like you had a nightmare. You go to Luigi's bed room to see
if he is there. He is gone and you never see him again.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FactsAreUseless posted:

Potty trained

Sent in by Ryan Martin

My mommy told me that they potty trained me using the Nintendo system.
I could only play when I was dry.

imp parenting ftw

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

lmao

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

hahahahaha

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

In Training posted:

"How is The Sims Social, then, worse than Final Fantasy XIII, for example?" lol cool he slipped in another venue for him to talk about FFXIII

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk9R3BQsYvM

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnwSW2mCkqQ&t=248s

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

This thread would be an awesome front page article.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Knuc U Kinte posted:

This thread would be an awesome front page article.

For me to poop on

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Name: Wolf
Race: Unknown
Magic: Learns spells as he levels up.
Favorite Food: Pizza

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

FactsAreUseless posted:

lmao

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

These are the same men who took an iPhone action game of my design in their hands, played it for five minutes, said it’s “pretty cool”, and then asked, deadpan, “What’s the monetization strategy on this?”

To which I answered, “The ‘monetization strategy is that people will see someone playing it, ask what it is, play it for themselves, spend a dollar on it, and then show it to their friends, who will also spend a dollar on it.”

“How is that going to sustain a business?”

“We have twelve other games that are just as good.”

“What do you do after those are all out?”

“By then, I’ll have thought of and made twelve more.”

“You should put micro-transactions in here. Five cents a smart bomb. Shake the iPhone to kill all the enemies.”

“Hmm. How about this: every time you score more than 100 kills in a game, you get a smart bomb to use in your next game. They stack up. There’s no limit. You can store up five hundred smart bombs, if you want. You can beat the whole game by just shaking the phone, eventually. We can make it so you don’t get on the leaderboards if you use a single smart bomb.”

“I don’t see how that monetizes.”

“Well, sure — we can also charge five cents each. Twenty-five for a dollar. Or let the player earn them.”

“Twenty-five for a dollar sounds good — actually, maybe that’s a little too many.”

“How many would you say is just enough?”

The man screws up his mouth. “Maybe four for a dollar is good.”

“Four for a dollar.”

“Yeah.” He looks up from the phone. He hands it back to me. He’s died. He got three kills. “Also, ditch the thing about letting players win smart bombs through the game. That devalues the smart bombs.”

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

theyre all bad op

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

oh sorry i didn't actually read the op, op. hardcoregaming 101 is really good

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

oldmanmurray.com

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In late September, news agencies all over the world printed this concise cultural analysis made by Afghan mujahedin fighter Maulana Inyadullah, the Ricky Carmichael of eXtreme Musliming:

The Americans love Pepsi-Cola, we love death.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

tsr's NES Archive - the best NES website ever

http://www.atarihq.com/tsr/

I've read every page on here multiple times since 2001

Soral
May 30, 2009

Sent in by Andrew Luebke

Bill is an X-Navy seal who joined up with link as a kid. He dresses Like
Link. He is the best knife fighter in thee world He loves to climb and
can climb on anything. He is crack pot genius and a computer whizz.
He wheres a watch that sends out lasers that explode the thing that's
in the laser. He has a ability to get Comanches appaches and jet
fighters once you fix his CB. He can talk to animals. He is a year younger
than link. He drives a 68' Cevy Chevelle. Maroon Black interior.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Theres also a website, i think it was posted in "i destroyed metal gear rex" , that had a load of iotherwise lost developer interviews from the 90s. they even had some with people like igarashi + kojima etc. i cant rememb er it though. anyway ill add the other links later tonight

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

archive.org has a bunch of old DOS games on it that dont exist anymore anywhere else. anyway this thread is funny. peace

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Knuc U Kinte posted:

https://gamefaqs.com

Fanmade info and guides on basically every game ever made. Indispensable resource for any gamer worth their salt.

lol

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

mysterious loyall X posted:

oldmanmurray.com

This

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
What was the website of that guy what people talked bout a lot in old ycs, and spambot hated him iirc, and he posted really long reviews an articles and had a forum with really strict rules...

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Ragg posted:

What was the website of that guy what people talked bout a lot in old ycs, and spambot hated him iirc, and he posted really long reviews an articles and had a forum with really strict rules...

alex kierkegaard i think

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

SM64Guy posted:

alex kierkegaard i think

Oh yeah.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

Theres also a website, i think it was posted in "i destroyed metal gear rex" , that had a load of iotherwise lost developer interviews from the 90s. they even had some with people like igarashi + kojima etc. i cant rememb er it though. anyway ill add the other links later tonight
It was probably this, which has a massive number of developer interviews.

quote:

—Next I’d like to ask about the lyrics you wrote… how was that? (laughs)

Ryu: One thing that gave me a ton of trouble was the rhyming. I’m always saying this, but in English lyrics, no matter what song, there always has to be rhyming. It’s even in things like the alphabet… think about it: “ABCDEFG, HIJKLMNOP. Even the American national anthem rhymes.
—So rhyming is something all English lyrics have, not just for rap? Without rhyming, there’s no lyrics…?

Ryu: It’s the rhyming that makes the lyrics singable, allows you to get into the groove and rhythm. But in Japanese, there is no rhyming, and you don’t get that same rhythmic groove. Imagine 4 stanzas of lyrics. It’s pretty standard to have end-rhymes on the 1st and 3rd lines, and on the 2nd and 4th. But in rap, there might be all kinds of additional rhyming, internal rhymes, more complicated wordplay. That’s one of its merits. However, with PaRappa, I was told to make all the end-lines rhyme neatly. Honestly, it sounds kind of cheesy and outdated to do it that way… maybe that’s how older rap sounded, but it’s more complex now.

Another thing I tried, early on, was to make the words you repeat back easier to rhyme, so they’d flow better. Like “kick” and “stick” (instead of “kick” and “punch”) and “chop” and “top”…. but when I tried it, it sounded so horrible. (laughs) So it ended up that only Master Onion’s own rapping rhymes.

Also found a couple other cool links skimming a few pages of that thread:

http://www.naughtydog.com/site/post/making_crash_bandicoot_by_andy_gavin_and_jason_rubin/

https://www.unseen64.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/metal-gear-solid-2-design-document.pdf

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/02/28/the-story-behind-metal-gear-solid-4-39-s-bizarre-intro.aspx

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Unseen64 is another cool one that catalogues vaporware and games lost to time. More archival than article style but it's fun to browse

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

In Training posted:

Lol there's an interview with gabe Newell a few months before the public unveiling of Dota 2 where he says "monetization is the root of all evil." that is quoted in that sims social review

Lmfao

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

SM64Guy posted:

alex kierkegaard i think

Was that the same guy who made a really tl,dr Cave Story review, hated it and the internet hated him back for that?

Judge Ito Boxing
Oct 29, 2011

There's a lot of value in the public being able to see how the system works.

qnqnx posted:

Was that the same guy who made a really tl,dr Cave Story review, hated it and the internet hated him back for that?

tbf there's lots of reasons to hate the guy

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

I.N.R.I posted:

I may have been this http://www.tentenpro.com/muni_shinobu/mg/ which was posted there, and I bookmarked it to read later but haven't yet.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's not one website in particular, but there are some devs that publicly catalogue design documents as the game is a WIP, which is cool. Paradox specifically does this a lot and since their games are 100% mechanical interaction given a coat of paint, it's neat to read about the ideas behind changes and additions. Also the Yacht Club aka Shovel Knight people have been doin write ups on shovel knight and it's DLC which is usually cool

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also Warren Spector recently started playing the original Deus Ex in front of a camera is neat to see .

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

In Training posted:

Also Warren Spector recently started playing the original Deus Ex in front of a camera is neat to see .

ohh this sounds badass

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Christ...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SM64Guy posted:

ohh this sounds badass

I think it was a one-off event last year but I hope he does more

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

the vg art website or whatever with all the shinkiro art on it. andi gues s other cool arts as well,

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Understanding Pac-Man Ghost Behavior

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

http://nomads-sotc-blog.blogspot.com.au/ <--- this guy is basically going pixel by pixel through the entirety of shadow of the colossus and its cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i like all the quotes from iwatani about how he designed the game so women would like it

• Locked thread