Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Zain posted:

Creators of the Borg? You mean THE BORG? Like didn't they start out as a species that was like "Tech implants are the way of the future!" And then went to far and they become the borg?

Nope, a species made entirely of nanites called the Caeliar with an even bigger penchant for time travel fuckery than Braga kidnapped the crew of the USS Colombia and got caught in the year 5,000 BC. They were running out of power and eventually all of them died but one, who decided that the best way to survive was to take over the remaining humans and use them to search for more resources. Thus creating the first borg. The collective is actually just an insane caeliar who is obsessed with finding a new power source which is apparently the Omega Molecule.

Have I mentioned that Star Trek EU is absolutely bonkers dumb? Cause it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Anything in the novels is considered alternate universe / idea fodder as far as the franchise is concerned. The Borg have other possible origins, including V'Ger, which is the angle STO took for them. One of the monster enemies that can show up was basically a huge V'Ger copy without the cloud.

Which is perfectly fine, because if it wasn't then sometime after Picard got the Enterprise E, he met the X-Men and together they fought a race of space dragonmen who forcibly mutated a small fraction of the population of an entire planet into mutant solar-powered energy-shooting penis monsters that they intended to use as weapons even though ten seconds with a transporter is pretty well guaranteed to kill every single x-man except possibly Nightcrawler.

I did a lets read of that book in one thread or another.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 28, 2016

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

Anything in the novels is considered alternate universe / idea fodder as far as the franchise is concerned. The Borg have other possible origins, including V'Ger, which is the angle STO took for them. One of the monster enemies that can show up was basically a huge V'Ger copy without the cloud.

Didn't Shatner come up with that one in his novels (at least the V'Ger=Borg part)?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

whitehelm posted:

Didn't Shatner come up with that one in his novels (at least the V'Ger=Borg part)?

I think Shatner's writing with the Borg involves resurrecting Kirk with Borg Tech by the Romulans? and brainwashing him to try and kill Picard.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

mateo360 posted:

I think Shatner's writing with the Borg involves resurrecting Kirk with Borg Tech by the Romulans? and brainwashing him to try and kill Picard.

Yes that too, but later on they won't assimilate Spock because he had mindmelded with V'ger.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

There's also a literal self destruct button on a single planet that kills all Borg.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

PoptartsNinja posted:

Which is perfectly fine, because if it wasn't then sometime after Picard got the Enterprise E, he met the X-Men and together they fought a race of space dragonmen who forcibly mutated a small fraction of the population of an entire planet .......

:psyduck: Why couldn't I finish reading that?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

PoptartsNinja posted:

Which is perfectly fine, because if it wasn't then sometime after Picard got the Enterprise E, he met the X-Men and together they fought a race of space dragonmen who forcibly mutated a small fraction of the population of an entire planet into mutant solar-powered energy-shooting penis monsters that they intended to use as weapons even though ten seconds with a transporter is pretty well guaranteed to kill every single x-man except possibly Nightcrawler.

A link to this magnificent train wreck, please? :suspense:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Klaus88 posted:

A link to this magnificent train wreck, please? :suspense:

Fortunately, it got archived along with my Let's Play Star Trek Online LP from a few years ago. The Let's Read is down near the bottom, but here's a direct link to Part 1

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I have a copy of Planet X and actually read it before ether of the comics. I now own said comics mostly because they weren't on the DVD collection of Star Trek Comics that came out sometime back. The comics are goofy but does have some good moments such as:

mateo360 fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 2, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Personally, I've always been partial to keeping the Borg alien rather than evil. A way of life directly opposed to our values, but one where you can nevertheless see the appeal.

Shatner's books about the Borg might be awful in places, but his ghostwriters have a very evocative look at the Borg and their origins. In those books, the original Borg race, Species 1, originated in an ancient star system orbiting a world in the last stages of devolving into a white dwarf. Faced with such a hostile, inhospitable homeworld, Species 1 developed a culture that prioritized the needs of the community and in time the species above any individual, and disregarded what we'd call ideas of morality: anything that benefited the community was authorized and embraced.

When Species 1 discovered cybernetic augmentation, they applied this same mentality and in time the Borg were born. When Species 1 discovered warp travel, they began assimilating other species into the Collective in the genuine belief that they were uplifting the backwards, the broken, and the lonely into a higher, better state of existence. Neither flesh nor machine but the strengths of both and weaknesses of neither, united as all members of the Collective are in one great consciousness that transcends mere physical limitations.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

... Where nothing can go wrong.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Just gonna drop my 2 cents (or 20) about this level of the game. Compared to the Borg of the tutorial, the Etherians are a significant step up in difficulty. They start out as melee, like the Borg, but are significantly faster and more numerous, and eventually get a ranged attack. Though they hover, they don't actually move in three dimensions, though compared to the holographic Borg cube, the Etherian ship is a lot more height-variable. The phaser rifle is less good here, because the last shot that beats an Etherian will have a lot of overkill to it. The quick-firing scavenger rifle will be more efficient. On the other hand, it's a lot less accurate, so if you're trying to take out those spawn points at a distance, it won't be as good. Though the enemies are so numerous that on harder difficulties you'll have to use both, or you'll run out of ammo.

And then there's the stasis weapon. It's pretty drat good, and of an uncommon design. Primary fire shoots one big and two small balls of energy. It acts like a shotgun, in that it's a wide shot that's easy to hit things with. However, it doesn't spread out, so even if the opponent is far away, it's still useful. And it does just the right amount of damage. There's a certain enemy type later on that's small and fast and moves erratically, but the stasis weapon hits them easily and kills them in one shot, making it my favorite to deal with them, even though each shot is pricey. The two little balls also do damage, so it's possible to kill multiple enemies in a single shot. Secondary fire shoots a spread of five beams. Not really useful, unless your opponent is very large (I don't think any enemies in this game are) or very close. In the latter case, it would be overkill for most anything.

Regarding the Etherian ship's design, if I remember correctly they actually can fly properly. The teleporters are probably meant for moving heavy things around. It makes a lot more sense if you think of it that way. Also, there used to be a bug that made it so when you have a fixed enemy like a turret or those pods that shoot at you, sometimes if you let them hit your teammates, they'd bug out and start shooting at you too. Annoying.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Doctor, you shouldn't break HIPAA like that just to deliver a sick burn.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Something interesting re: Tricorders. If you use the console to activate cheats, you can give yourself a working version. It gives you some names and readouts for teammates and things in the environment.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I'm getting back in to Star Trek Online.

....Send Help

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
I'll send Troi right over.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Time for another Voyager Interlude

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Yeah, that holomission is a remarkably bad choice for showing off the grenade launcher. Pretty much all enemies are positioned higher that you and far away. I have no idea why the would do that, especially since the next one would probably be a better choice.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Stealth. In the Quake Engine. Oh yes, many words to be said about that.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

I liked that stealth section. I also liked that the "hunting faction" is actually aware of your presence and is waiting for you the moment you enter their area.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
I had trouble being stealthy the first couple times I played the game but now I can usually sneak through all of it with no problems.

In case anyone's curious the point of the "pump control" is that when you hit it the Malon go down the elevator to fix the pump. Then you hit the other button, drowning them in toxic water.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
I liked the stealth too back in the day, just as a change of pace for a little while. Plus, for any really frustrating bits, you have your compression rifle's secondary fire. I'm pretty sure you can use that at any point where there's only one enemy awake and not miss out on saving Odell, though somehow he managed to survive the LP run anyway.. It's perfect for that first long room.

Also, look at that effort. They actually made a realistic EVA scene at the beginning of the mission. Unlike the suits in the actual shows and movies, the hazard team suits actually have micro-rockets to push them around in 0 G, which means whoever designed them was actually competent and thought about all the different situations they might be used in.

As for why they didn't leave on the Delta Flyer... Well, somebody would have spotted it eventually if it stuck around, especially once the base went on high alert, as was likely to happen. If they were capable of beaming out using pattern enhancers, that would be their best option. More or less.

And yeah, you can get those Klingons and Malon to fight each other by putting a grenade between them. There are a couple other places where it looks like you should use it, like those two Malon outside the Hirogen area, but I don't know if it's powerful enough to oneshot them both. It's not a very good weapon.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Montegoraon posted:

I liked the stealth too back in the day, just as a change of pace for a little while. Plus, for any really frustrating bits, you have your compression rifle's secondary fire. I'm pretty sure you can use that at any point where there's only one enemy awake and not miss out on saving Odell, though somehow he managed to survive the LP run anyway. It's perfect for that first long room.

I pretty sure he lives no matter what you do, I never not got that cut scene with him.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

mateo360 posted:

I pretty sure he lives no matter what you do, I never not got that cut scene with him.

Nope, I've had playthroughs where he dies.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I believe his death is keyed to how many times you get detected during the first section (Klingon ship) of the level - mateo successfully vaporized enough dudes fast enough to dodge the trigger, I guess?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Psion posted:

I believe his death is keyed to how many times you get detected during the first section (Klingon ship) of the level - mateo successfully vaporized enough dudes fast enough to dodge the trigger, I guess?

I think it's a flat yay/nay, but the game gives you some "grace time" to kill whoever detected you. The triggering logic is not the greatest.

Kazeite
Dec 27, 2012
I don't know if it was mentioned, but some of the lesser Voyager crewmembers are "played" by Raven staff. For example, the transporter technician is Brian Pelletier, game's Project Lead.

Also, it's too bad you haven't spent more time on the bridge, 'cause construction wise, it's a trainwreck :) I've read that the level had to be rebuilt several time - the first time it was constructed, adhering precisely to the blueprints of the "real" bridge, it was too tight for player and NPCs to freely move around.

So Raven had to tear it down and start anew. The new version had a lot of space for NPCs to move around, but it had the unforeseen consequence of making it look like a horse track. If you have ever played Star Trek Online, then you'll know what I mean :v:

So Raven had to tear it down and start anew :) The third version had a proper balance of space and aesthetic... but was too detailed and would slow the game down too much.

So Raven had to tear it down and start anew :D Fortunately, the fourth version has been deemed acceptable :)

And all those LCARS consoles on the bridge? Some of them were actual (although downscaled) textures used on the actual show.

And did you know that game devs actually got Rick Sternbach as a consultant for this game? Rick Sternbach, aka the guy who actually designed USS Voyager?

Regarding friendly fire - your team-mates will never pull the trigger when you're blocking their firing line. I've tested it by turning timescale cheat (which in this game works a bit different, actually, compared to other id Tech 3 games - everything slows down except for you :) ) and getting into a firefight.

Kazeite fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 17, 2016

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Aw, you didn't let the doctor finish speaking. He has one more line that stops in the middle of a word because they expected you to tranq him there. If you don't, he still stops talking at that point, waits a moment and then fails you the mission.
You could also always give him the correct serum and get a Game Over that way.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Nah, you can give him the truth serum and not get a game over. he injects her, and asks her who her ally is, and she looks at you and gives you away, and then you have to fight some guys. Then the scene continues, and neither of them bring up the fact that Munro did something really, really dumb.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Montegoraon posted:

Nah, you can give him the truth serum and not get a game over. he injects her, and asks her who her ally is, and she looks at you and gives you away, and then you have to fight some guys. Then the scene continues, and neither of them bring up the fact that Munro did something really, really dumb.

Oh? Hm, must've misremembered. Oh well, still an interesting variation.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It still kind of annoys me that most Star Trek games turn the Borg into nothing more than more targets but I guess survival horror isn't exactly very Trek either.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Very much so. Wait 'till you hear my complaining over the next two episodes.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

It still kind of annoys me that most Star Trek games turn the Borg into nothing more than more targets but I guess survival horror isn't exactly very Trek either.

There was a DS9 game from around the same time, The Fallen, that came up with a way to use the Borg in regular combat. They had this enemy species that pretty much had the same gimmick as the the Borg; they were all shielded, so in order to hurt them, you had to scan them with your tricorder to get their particular frequency, then retune you base-model hand phaser to that frequency to get a hit in (or, if you were playing as Worf, just whack them with your bat'leth because you're a big strong man). You only ever encountered those guys in groups of one or two, and when they started showing up en masse at the end of the game you got a bunch of powerful weapons to just melt through them.

Come to think of it, even Borg starships ended up getting nerfed in the Armada games just to maintain a bare fiction of game balance. The Armada III mod for Sins of a Solar Empire does handle it a bit better; the ships and installations are very powerful but are intense resource hogs. If someone doesn't roll the Borg players in the early game, they're unstoppable.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Well I just spent about three hours running around Voyager trying to find all of the hidden poo poo. The only Mission Objective I haven't completed is going to Deck 15, which is apparently not accessible via turbolift?

Couldn't find it in the brief looking around I did, but are you going to show off virtual Voyager?

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 5, 2016

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

RickVoid posted:

Couldn't find it in the brief looking around I did, but are you going to show off virtual Voyager?

Yes, the last two videos are from virtual voyager mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

• Locked thread