Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

What is Ratchet and Clank?
Ratchet and Clank is a game series where you play as a space cat Lombax named Ratchet, who is good with machines, and a little robot named XJ-0461 B54-296 Clank who is a big smarty pants. Together they have saved multiple galaxies from total chaos and destruction with big guns. The series started in 2002 and had games come out regularly all the way up to 2013, though some were not great. Still though, the series had far more successes than flops and has been known as one of the mascot series for Sony, and probably the only one from the PS2 era that still puts out consistently good games.

Gameplay usually consists of characters controlling Ratchet, with Clank acting as a platforming jumping assistance buddy, taking on hostile alien lifeforms with guns. Lots of guns. The original series toted that it had more guns than any other game. After the first game, the guns actually power up and change form the more you use them, too, giving you not only an excuse to use the weapons you buy, but to keep buying new ones when your power caps off. Throw in some excellent writing, top-notch voice acting, and solid level design, and you have yourself a series of games that I still go back and play to this day.

The titular characters during the PS2 era of games.

Then during their last full-length adventure, A Crack In Time on the PS3 in 2009. They grow up so fast.

Along the way we've met some regularly occuring faces, the two biggest being Captain Qwark, who has a slight hero complex and a bit of an ego problem, and Doctor Nefarious, a supervillain who hates organic life and wishes to exterminate it from the galaxy by either turning everyone into robots or simply erasing time. They are the best characters and it's a loving shame the only time they are playable is in the worst game in the series.

No, seriously, it's not up for debate, these two are the greatest.

So what's all this then?
In 2014 Insomniac released this trailer. Yeah, so Ratchet and Clank were getting a movie. Nobody really knew the details. Eventually it came out that the movie was going to be a retelling of the first game, since Ratchet and Clank acted REALLY wildly different in it. Soon after that it was revealed that a game based off the movie (based off the game) was coming out as well. That's what this thread is about.

Oh, and it comes out in about... half an hour from the time I'm writing this.

It features new weapons, locations both familiar and new, a complete rehaul of the series to make it less awkward to fit into the Future series, and new gameplay mechanics to streamline it. Insomniac says it has a playtime of about 11 hours if you DON'T try to 100% the game, and it's all wrapped up in a nice $40 package. If you hurry and preorder it, you get everyone's favorite classic weapon, the Bouncer.

It's meant as a game for both old Ratchet fans to come back to, and for potential new fans to leap into and enjoy. The big reset button in space. So if you own a PS4, drop $40 on this wonderful wonderful game and help save the galaxy. If you don't have a PS4, don't worry, the movie comes out to theaters on the 29th, so you can see all the important bits too!

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Sweet baby jesus this is out already. I thought this had another year in development. I'm cautious about it though. I think i'm gonna wait for goon consensus because Gamestop and IGN (the only reviewers so far) seem to shills at best. Have you gotten around to playing it yet?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I never played the first game, nice that this is a re imaging for the movie coming out. I started with tools of destruction and it was amazing. I will always remember the secret pirate song from the pirate mini game also.

Looking forward to playing this at one point for the duo and Captain Quark.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

They also did a huge retcon so that Nefarious will be in the game.

Basically the smartest decision they could have made, imo.

Picking this up tomorrow morning physical with dark souls 3, can't wait.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Taking a break from DS3 to download this :dance:

Good god this game is pretty. Its a pixar movie that you can play. Watching footage of the game looks like the sort of bullshit pre-rendered CG they'd make up for a videogame in a movie.

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
Please be good, been waiting for a while for another game in the serie. I didn't bother with any titles after "A crack in time" since people said they were incredibly bad.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Opening is good, sets up the story but gets you playing pretty quick. Game looks unbelievable, my gently caress its pretty. Looks and feels just like playing the first R&C back in the day, although everything looks amazing.

Captain Quark narrating over your actions is really funny :allears:

Gotta go back to playing souls, but I'm going to get really into this after I beat DS3.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I went to go buy this with DS3 but the shelf was empty. Oh well, tomorrow's another day.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

I have already beaten the game. It's really loving good.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

gonna grab this on my week off in 10 days or so. looks really sweet. only one i played was the coop centered one on ps3 at a friends house but it was fun and this looks fun too.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

kalonZombie posted:

I have already beaten the game. It's really loving good.

About how long is it?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

only played till RIlgar today cause I'm juggling Dark Souls 3 but I'm really enjoying the better personality added to the first games worlds

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Only played for a couple hours this evening, but I'm already on board 100%. It's both a reboot and a remastering -- feels so familiar, yet fresh. Zero regret for my preorder.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

About how long is it?

I got everything I could in one playthrough without grinding for cards, and it took about 11 or 12 hours.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
Yeah, I'm enjoying the hell out of it and this is from a guy who owns and has played the rest of the series across multiple systems and times.

The one thing I miss is the skill point system but that's *technically* been rolled into achievements so I can't quibble too much. :v:

But, yeah, it's super gorgeous and it's only 40 bucks. If you're a fan then you really should get it. Ratchet not being an inexplicable shithead in his first game
is all the better.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jeeze this thread is a ghost town. Everybody's busy playing DS3 huh? Not the best timing on Insomniac's part.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I believe Sony picked this date. The game could have come or sooner but they wanted to release it closer to the movie for that sweet, sweet synergy money.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I am also in the middle of the Dark Souls 3 hype, but this is a great game to switch to so I don't burn through DS3 too fast.

And yeah, R&C loving rules. I had the game pre-ordered since day 1, and it was a worthwhile investment(especially since it was 39.99 when I PO'd it as opposed to now :canada:)

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Completely forgot this was coming out, I'll be grabbing it after work. How much of the is this the original game and how much is new?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Literally the only part of this game I disliked is the lovely collect-the-brains sidequest which also has the worst prize in the game so hey.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

DS3 has taken over my life but I was gonna pick this up, weirdly a lot of the stores around me don't seem to have any copies for some reason

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Kortel posted:

Completely forgot this was coming out, I'll be grabbing it after work. How much of the is this the original game and how much is new?

A comparison I like to make is this game is to the original Ratchet & Clank what Metroid: Zero Mission is to the original Metroid. If you're familiar with the original title a lot of stuff will feel familiar, but between the new weapons, new planets, remixed story elements, and all the quality of life improvements, it makes for a fresh experience.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

A comparison I like to make is this game is to the original Ratchet & Clank what Metroid: Zero Mission is to the original Metroid. If you're familiar with the original title a lot of stuff will feel familiar, but between the new weapons, new planets, remixed story elements, and all the quality of life improvements, it makes for a fresh experience.

Yeah, it really is basically R&C: Zero Mission right down to being an improvement in almost all ways.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Pablo Gigante posted:

DS3 has taken over my life but I was gonna pick this up, weirdly a lot of the stores around me don't seem to have any copies for some reason

Yeah I thought this was a digital release before I read comments here to the countrary because I didn't see it anywhere.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mycot posted:

Yeah I thought this was a digital release before I read comments here to the countrary because I didn't see it anywhere.

I was at Best Buy last night and they didn't have any copies but I checked store pick up today and all the stores in my area have it now so maybe they just had delayed shipments.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

ImpAtom posted:

Literally the only part of this game I disliked is the lovely collect-the-brains sidequest which also has the worst prize in the game so hey.

Yeah, but it had a lot of low level enemies that I used to level up a couple of the more underperforming weapons (Proton Drum).

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am just past the Blarg Space Station and the game owns. The original was sort of an odd duck of the series where you can tell they want to do something different, but it still felt like the Spyro games but with guns. It wasn't until the second game where the platformmer-shooter mix really started to take form. With the remake you can see the several games worth of refinement of that formula integrated in and it is all the better for it.

And OP, I take issue with you saying that Tools of Destruction was a lesser game. It played just fine. Unless you are talking about the story, in which I agree completely. I mean, they resolved it the best they could in Crack in Time, but the ~LAST OF THE LOMBAXES~ plotline they tried to push was truly terrible.

One thing does bug me though: The remake looks like it runs at 30 fps but it still looks and plays great. But Into the Nexus also ran at 30 fps and it bugged the crap out of me. I am trying to figure out what is the difference.

Also, is there an Insomniac Museum in the remake?

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

ImpAtom posted:

Gonna chime in and say the prize is one of my favorite gadgets so ymmv. It's even made way easier if you pick up a later gadget. Ratchet fans will know what I'm talking about

Unlucky7 posted:

There is! You'll get a notification for it once you beat the game the first time.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

And OP, I take issue with you saying that Tools of Destruction was a lesser game. It played just fine. Unless you are talking about the story, in which I agree completely. I mean, they resolved it the best they could in Crack in Time, but the ~LAST OF THE LOMBAXES~ plotline they tried to push was truly terrible.

No, the gameplay was crap too. The game is way too loving hard, and artificially so. Even with the best armor in the game, you take so much damage from one hit that you're basically back to the original's "four hits you're dead" formula no matter how much HP you've gained leveling up. However the game DID give us Grandpa Robots so I'm willing to forgive a lot because of that.

Unlucky7 posted:

Yes. I'm not sure if you can unlock it any other ways, but once you beat the game it shows up in the garage on Velden.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
My only issue with this game is that Incoming fire isn't super clear against the backgrounds and especially hard when the screen is a Whirlwind of Bolts flying into you.

Also, there's some annoying glitches that will ruin my sweet Challenge mode multiplier :argh:

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Man I still haven't hit the max multiplier yet because loving falling off the edge of the hoverboard races apparently counts against you.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I didn't realize this was out and kinda held off even after being told as the quality of the series tanked pretty hard for awhile but uh, I hear it's pretty good?

I'm considering picking it up but I wanna know how the weapons are as I recall a lot of the guns in 1-3 were new and exciting each time (complete with silly commercials hyping them up) and after a point it was just the same guns every game seemingly. Is there anything new or what's the deal?

Also hearing that a lot of planets were just straight up cut out so I'm wondering if the ones that are there are made longer in return or anything.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

kalonZombie posted:

Man I still haven't hit the max multiplier yet because loving falling off the edge of the hoverboard races apparently counts against you.

I was honestly surprised when getting hit in the turret sequence on Batalia didn't wreck my multiplier

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also hearing that a lot of planets were just straight up cut out so I'm wondering if the ones that are there are made longer in return or anything.

If anything, the returning planets have maybe been shortened or essentially unchanged. Which is fine because some of the planets they cut were not my favorites.

OneDeadman fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 15, 2016

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Zaphod42 posted:

Jeeze this thread is a ghost town. Everybody's busy playing DS3 huh? Not the best timing on Insomniac's part.

It's not out for another loving week in Europe and I am literally dying. I'm so glad to read that everyone is loving this though - after the last few spin offs I was worried Insomniac had lost the plot.

Gotta wonder about their choice to lock the Bouncer behind pre-order DLC though. The Venn diagram of people who care about the Bouncer and people who would 100% buy this game anyway make a circle - they're not tempting any "hmm, maybes" or series newcomers with that bonus, surely? Not that I'm fussed because of course I pre-ordered :haw:

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
ToD ruined challenge mode by making all the enemies unbelievably bullet spongy, which is unforgivable.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

OneDeadman posted:

If anything, the returning planets have maybe been shortened or essentially unchanged. Which is fine because some of the planets they cut were not my favorites.

So the games shortened and has less content in general? I mean it's 40 bucks so if that's the case I'm not terribly surprised. Just a lil bummed out if anything.

Also as it was mentioned before but what was with the last lombax story going on anyway? Didn't Ratchet meet like 2-3 female ones over the course of the series or is my memory fuzzy?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I do like how Darla Gratch shows up in the game but looks like one of the hosts from Deadlocked (the main reason why that game isn't awful)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZepj6u5Dtc
Also it feels weird to play a R&C game where a lot of things in the game are not destructible

Also the in game cutscenes are pretty bad

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 15, 2016

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007
Problems: This game could probably use a few more levels or at least not have you do the same level like three times

the insomniac museum is really underwhelming

everything else is A+ and probably the most solid ratchet game to date

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So the games shortened and has less content in general? I mean it's 40 bucks so if that's the case I'm not terribly surprised. Just a lil bummed out if anything.

Also as it was mentioned before but what was with the last lombax story going on anyway? Didn't Ratchet meet like 2-3 female ones over the course of the series or is my memory fuzzy?

No no no, the game isn't shortened at all. In fact, I feel like it has more content. Several planets were rolled into one, a few new areas have been added, one level has been completely changed, and all of these are for the better. Not to mention there is a proper Challenge Mode now as opposed to just a New Game + in the classic. The amount of weapons has been cut, but a good chunk of weapons in the original game were just straight upgrades to weapons earlier in the game anyway, not to mention they're all pretty useful. The game, without any sidequests, is about 8-ish hours, and if I recall correctly, Ratchet Classic has about 6 and a half when you 100% it. It is well worth the $40 price tag and quite frankly it's insane Insomniac is letting it go that cheap, considering it's probably the best game on the PS4 right now and would be worth a full $60.

Angela Cross has an... odd history. First she was a lombax. Then she was retconned to not be a lombax. Then she was retconned into being a lombax again, found Talwyn Apogee's dad and a dimensionator and went to whatever dimension the lombaxes ran off to. Then the whole "last" thing was retconned again with Alistair Asmuth, but at least they gave a halfway decent justification as to why Asmuth was left behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Fair enough, what a confusing take on what should of been a simple character :v:

• Locked thread