Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Huh, I always thought that they quietly ignored her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

You cant make the race lady's boob grow to hilarious proportions by doing sick back flips anymore. I want my money back. :argh:

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Zaggitz posted:

You cant make the race lady's boob grow to hilarious proportions by doing sick back flips anymore. I want my money back. :argh:

Hah I was wondering about this. I hope there's plumber's crack though. I mean, I hope the plumber's back.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Are the cutscenes in this game straight from the movie because if so, drat that's gonna be bad

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ElwoodCuse posted:

Are the cutscenes in this game straight from the movie because if so, drat that's gonna be bad

About 20 minutes of them are.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I marked out at the zurkon zurkon zurkon clip from the movie. That alone almost makes me wanna go see it in theaters.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

ElwoodCuse posted:

No idea but the movie is going to be bad because all they can think of to advertise it is a montage of the voice talent (without even audio clips of them playing the character) and one...gag(?) at the end that should only exist to get a conversation from point A to point B.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Just beat this game and it's up there in my ratchet and clank list. In-game cutscenes weren't the best but the movie cut scenes were good and taking my niece for her birthday for that. I just played the original trilogy to completion so getting to grips with this game was a bit tough but I like the control scheme better in this game. Graphics look stunning and the animation (besides when you're talking with other characters where poo poo goes to hell) looks pretty drat good. It's shortish but it definitely cuts through the story and unfortunately some places didn't matter or could be blended into other places (Eudora, Hoven, and Oltanis). Yes Insomniac Museum is weak but previous versions was done by one person getting stuff together but hey it's kind of fun seeing imported from the original trilogy of the buzzsaw and axe enemies from Eudora with a little polishing hanging around and some of the weapons from the original game. I'll probably scream through challenge mode and get it fully completed before Uncharted 4 comes out. I do like how challenging this game is if you put it on hard where I couldn't just strafe flip everywhere and I'll be fine along with weapons not so powerful you just have to shoot it and everyone dies (looking at you plasma storm and except the RYNO since that's a given).

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

How do you get the gold bold in the middle of the jetpack room on Quartu?

edit: nvm I got it

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Apr 16, 2016

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Picked this up today. Never played this series before so I guess I picked the right time to jump in.

EDIT: For some reason my TV is only playing audio through my left speaker. Extremely annoying, considering I can't hear conversations that are on the right side of the screen. Guess I'll have to put this on hold until I solve it.

EDIT2: Took me some time, but I was able to move a stereo across the house and just plug them into the tv and fix the problem. This game is fun as hell.

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 17, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

all three stores with games in my neighborhood sold out of this seems like a huge hit. gonna be a week or two for me.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I beat the game, 100% outside of maxing weapons which I'll do whenever i get around to challenge mode. I'm a bit torn to be honest. From a gameplay perspective the game plays like a dream and its great to play these old levels with a new coat of paint and modern mechanics, however I'm sad they didn't add an arena planet. I understand there wasn't one in the first game but that's always been a great way to test out the various weapons with unique challenges and fun ways to earn bolts and gadgets.

I can't really comment on the story as is because it really feels like I should also see the movie to really get the full impact of the game, most of the movie clips don't land the way i think they should because they are divorced of setup and some context. I also wish there had been a few more planets, and for Giant Clank to make it in after all the build up with his big robot rival.

I like them bringing Nefarious into the picture a lot earlier. I don't like how they soften up Qwark's edges at all, a big draw of that original ps2 trilogy was looking at his arc across those three games and watching him actually man up and be a hero, albeit still a cowardly one.

Also they teased way before the game came out that they would tie the Last of the Lombaxes stuff into the narrative of the movie and if it's actually still in the movie, but not in the game I'll be both really baffled and kinda mad.

I sound pretty negative but outside of those gripes I had a really really good time, and I'd easily rank it above Deadlocked, ToD/CfB and original RnC1(not counting A4O, FFA and Size Matters/Secret Agent Clank cause those are garbo badgames.)

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Agh what is a R&C game without arena (aside from the first) :negative:

I have fond memories of the 100 round challenges. Those were always a blast.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Just finished the game, and what a fun ride. For a 40 dollar pseudo-movie tie-in/remake, it's a amazingly fun game.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Avocados posted:

Agh what is a R&C game without arena (aside from the first) :negative:

I have fond memories of the 100 round challenges. Those were always a blast.

The "don't get hit" ones were mine. It was right on the edge of frustrating and challenging.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I can't get over how incredibly gorgeous this game is. Everything about it is so well polished and the style is so congruent that I can't think of a game that has better aesthetics.

I was a little annoyed with the controls at first because I was expecting a control scheme like UYA and beyond where you'd be locked into the strafe mode when a weapon was out but could turn Ratchet with the left stick when your wrench was in hand (mostly useful in comet throws at stacks of boxes). However, I found the default mode works well enough with holding L2 for strafe mode because the combat isn't as intense as in earlier games. I did have problems with dealing with enemy fire sometimes because the amount of bolts and explosions everywhere could really obscure your vision. But all those explosions :swoon:

Fortunately the game just vomits bolts at you if you can maintain a 20x multiplier for a little while and the overall costs for all the Omega weapons isn't as high as some of the older games. I feel like as a whole acquiring and leveling weapons is easier in this game than in any before. I am very thankful for challenge mode and not having to glitch the Rilgar race with the hologuise to get enough bolts to afford the RYNO.

As for the story, I like it, but certain changes I'm still coming to grips with. In the original game, I liked that Ratchet and Clank weren't just immediately bros for life, they had to go through conflict (like Ratchet being a big jerk on OG Quartu) before becoming the team we know and love. There was a surprising lack of jerks in this game, even Qwark felt sympathetic when Nefarious was ragging on him for selling out his friends. I realize that with the Galactic Rangers and earlier introduction of Qwark to the story meant that had to change, but I still liked it. The destruction of Novalis and Ratchet's subsequent slump felt like it was resolved too quickly and easily, too.

I also think that they did too much with Dr. Nefarious in this game. I think they should have kept Nefarious as the mastermind behind the Blarg's plans, but still kept Drek as the final boss on the Deplanetizer. It was anticlimactic to me that Drek just got sheepinated (which was admittedly funny and unexpected), but he was built up as such a jerk that it didn't feel right that he didn't get his comeuppance at Ratchet's hands. I still hope we get to see robo-Nefarious in a later game with his Lance and Janice ticks and Lawrence's quips.

Finally, I was most disappointed that there was no suck cannon in this one. I mean, that weapon had such great utility! By far the worst weapon for me was the predator launcher, it just took too much time to charge, the weapon was weak, and it didn't have enough ammo. The groovitron is still the most OP weapon/gadget in the R&C universe and it became even more powerful in this game since bosses are susceptible to it now. I liked that Qwark used it on you, too!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The friction between Ratchet and Clank felt deeply contrived in the first game and I'm not too sad they jettisoned it.

It doesn't really fit with today's trends in cartoons, either, so many of them these days are huggy and tolerant to an almost nauseating degree. Remember cartoons in the early oughts? Remember when every cartoon character was a loving rear end in a top hat?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Picked this up as a chill game for when Dark Souls 3 gets too intense. I've played a few of the previous games but never beat them

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

It's also nice to actually own another PS4 exclusive

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
This game is literally sold out everywhere in my city. They didn't expect this to be this popular, did they?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mycot posted:

This game is literally sold out everywhere in my city. They didn't expect this to be this popular, did they?

same. just means you get in 5 dollars cheaper next month when there are 30 used copies

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Oxxidation posted:

The friction between Ratchet and Clank felt deeply contrived in the first game and I'm not too sad they jettisoned it.

Same. Plus it was carried on for way too long, and the fact they had to keep finding excuses to work together was just grating. It made Ratchet really unlikable.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
This game was super fun. I got all the Gold Bolts, all the weapons, played it on Hard, and had a hell of a time. Now I need to get a PS3 to replay the old ones again. The facial animation is a little off at times, the hoverboard racing didn't feel near as good as the older ones, and the ship segments felt extremely strange to control but otherwise it was awesome. And it's only 40 bucks which will drop even lower once people trade it back in. Now to get Into the Nexus and a PS3.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

mycot posted:

No but I think being sold out has more to do with low shipments rather than selling like gangbusters. The local Targets in my area only got 3-7 copies per store.

Monolith. posted:

the hoverboard racing didn't feel near as good as the older ones

It's pretty comparable. The hover board racing was never that great.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

kalonZombie posted:

Same. Plus it was carried on for way too long, and the fact they had to keep finding excuses to work together was just grating. It made Ratchet really unlikable.
Everyone was pretty unlikable mostly for the fact that they made you pay for everything.

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

Everyone was pretty unlikable mostly for the fact that they made you pay for everything.

This is the actual best mechanics change from the original

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Maybe someone can help me.

So, I saw where it was but I couldn't figure out how to get the first golden screw on the Deplanetizer level but I was able to figure out how to get the only other one. So I tried to go back to the first one but the doors were sealed. I beat the level and now I can't go back there at the moment because of plot stuff. I've figured out how to find every screw in the game before that on my own and now I'm worried I screwed myself out of it cause it looks like the next level is the last level. Will I be able to go back and get that one that I missed? Thanks.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

beep by grandpa posted:

Maybe someone can help me.

So, I saw where it was but I couldn't figure out how to get the first golden screw on the Deplanetizer level but I was able to figure out how to get the only other one. So I tried to go back to the first one but the doors were sealed. I beat the level and now I can't go back there at the moment because of plot stuff. I've figured out how to find every screw in the game before that on my own and now I'm worried I screwed myself out of it cause it looks like the next level is the last level. Will I be able to go back and get that one that I missed? Thanks.

I'm assuming you mean the one in Chairman Drek's office. Use the teleporter to go back to your ship and retread your path through. I'm surprised they didn't open all those doors again after the teleporter becomes active because there's no reason otherwise for it to be blocked off.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

It was the one way above the room with the two huge gold statues of him. The level it's in is no longer selectable in my world map but I haven't beaten the game yet. Just to be clear this is the space station level, not a planet.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

beep by grandpa posted:

It was the one way above the room with the two huge gold statues of him. The level it's in is no longer selectable in my world map but I haven't beaten the game yet. Just to be clear this is the space station level, not a planet.

Oh OK, there's no way to not semi-spoil this for you so just keep playing. You'll get another chance to get it because you need Clank.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Son of a bitch okay I don't feel so bad now. I had a feeling we'd have to go back anyway. Thanks! This game owns btw (never played the originals) and is probably the best looking video game I have ever seen.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Any one else have an issue where Big Al is completely silent, has no subtitles and occasionally doesn't animate?

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Caidin posted:

Any one else have an issue where Big Al is completely silent, has no subtitles and occasionally doesn't animate?

This happened on my first time through, but fixed itself for my challenge run a few days later. Watching Ratchet and Clank just stare Big Al down in silence before saying something was pretty funny.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Caidin posted:

Nope but all the cutscenes with the Plumber and after had all the characters sound like they were in an echo chamber! I think maybe there was some voice modulation going on in that area (maybe for the pipe you slide down?) and it got stuck turned on. Fixed itself when I changed planets though.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Thought this was a beautiful game, very well done and made me feel like I felt as a kid playing Mario 64 for the first time :)

I've completed the normal play through: I'm trophy hunting the plat so can anyone tell me if its worth holding off challenge mode and scooping up all the trophies I can do first rather than starting challenge mode and giving myself potentially more work to do? I'm assuming the former is the best plan but need goon approval because I'm quite stupid at times.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Thought this was a beautiful game, very well done and made me feel like I felt as a kid playing Mario 64 for the first time :)

I've completed the normal play through: I'm trophy hunting the plat so can anyone tell me if its worth holding off challenge mode and scooping up all the trophies I can do first rather than starting challenge mode and giving myself potentially more work to do? I'm assuming the former is the best plan but need goon approval because I'm quite stupid at times.

Just go for challenge mode now.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

TaurusOxford posted:

Just go for challenge mode now.

Also:
*Be prepared for two more playthroughs to max out weapon levels.
*Make sure to Groovitron EVERYTHING.
*Keep in mind turning on the invulnerability cheat doesn't negate your health from gaining exp, but getting hit while invulnerable still gets rid of your combo bonus.
*In that vein, your weapons don't gain exp if you have the unlimited ammo cheat on.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

kalonZombie posted:

Also:
*Be prepared for two more playthroughs to max out weapon levels.
*Make sure to Groovitron EVERYTHING.
*Keep in mind turning on the invulnerability cheat doesn't negate your health from gaining exp, but getting hit while invulnerable still gets rid of your combo bonus.
*In that vein, your weapons don't gain exp if you have the unlimited ammo cheat on.

Is there an achievement for making every kind of enemy dance again? Because I hated that the last time.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The game is great but the movie is apparently pretty bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Holy poo poo you're right, 30 on metacritic right now :x

So much for big budget platformers making a comeback for a long time I guess :(

• Locked thread