Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
So who's gonna be the first Goon to post a trip report? I knew critics would hate it but I'm curious to hear from some fans of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Spalec posted:

So who's gonna be the first Goon to post a trip report? I knew critics would hate it but I'm curious to hear from some fans of the series.

I'm considering seeing it tonight so I'll post in if I do.

E: lol never mind there's no showings after 4:45 so if you have a job you can't see the movie, nice

Waldorf Sixpence fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 29, 2016

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I'm considering seeing it tonight so I'll post in if I do.

E: lol never mind there's no showings after 4:45 so if you have a job you can't see the movie, nice

Sounds like the theaters are trying to save you your hard earned money. Was there ever a movie based on a video game that wasn't a steaming pile of turd?

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

tribbledirigible posted:

Sounds like the theaters are trying to save you your hard earned money. Was there ever a movie based on a video game that wasn't a steaming pile of turd?

I have a cinema subscription so not being able to go is actually worse value for my money! :v:

Also obligatory "Super Mario Bros".

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Also obligatory "Super Mario Bros".

Oh, come on. It's only good in an ironic sense (and Dennis Hopper's scenery chewing skills) and it may have well been a completely different movie had they not slapped "Mario", "Luigi", and "King Koopa" on the characters.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

tribbledirigible posted:

Oh, come on. It's only good in an ironic sense

You got me :v:

Seriously though all I can think of is Silent Hill which I enjoyed BUT I am not a long term fan of the series or anything. I gather people who like the games hated the movie.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

tribbledirigible posted:

People may hate, but I think the Silent Hill movie (the first one anyways) was actually decent and managed to capture the feel of Silent Hill, they changed a bit but it was a good merger of SH1 and SH2's storylines. And it was a horror movie based on a horror game, so that worked.

Pretty much everything else has been at best cheesy (Mortal Kombat) and at worst had nothing to do with the game at all (Mario Bros).

Or even worse, Uwe Boll movies.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

You got me :v:

Seriously though all I can think of is Silent Hill which I enjoyed BUT I am not a long term fan of the series or anything. I gather people who like the games hated the movie.

gently caress, beaten.

I actually like the games and like the movie, which a few people do, but there's people who hate on it for sure.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Is there an achievement for making every kind of enemy dance again? Because I hated that the last time.

Yes, and it's called "Death by Disco." You also have to do it all in a single playthrough as well. I've heard conflicting reports that the game tracks this over multiple runs, but mine popped on the final boss after I know I did it on a previous run. Took me to my 5th run to do it, too. Had all the cheats on, just making everything dance before blasting them with the RYNO; even crashed the game with the fast speed cheat.

My nearest theater has showings at 19:10 AND 21:40 tonight. Maybe I'll shell out :10bux: for the greater goon good and give you all an incredibly biased review.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

kalonZombie posted:

Also:
*Be prepared for two more playthroughs to max out weapon levels.

I did it in half a challenge mode run. :D

beep by grandpa posted:

Holy poo poo you're right, 30 on metacritic right now :x

So much for big budget platformers making a comeback for a long time I guess :(

But the game is still awesome and reviewed well.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Did it sell well?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

beep by grandpa posted:

Did it sell well?

According to Sony and Insomniac, yeah.

https://twitter.com/insomniacgames/status/726116537812160512

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

I'm interested to see where they'll go with this next. They made reference to MegaCorp and the Protopet during the Rilgar hoverboard race, and it's possible that they could revisit that plot. They have a really solid foundation for future games so I hope they make the next one more expansive and balance experience/bolt gain a little more in challenge mode.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
Well, what exactly do you mean by balance here? Do you think it was too good in this game or too poor?

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Zaa Boogie posted:

Well, what exactly do you mean by balance here? Do you think it was too good in this game or too poor?

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I felt that experience and bolts came too easily in this game. There were a number of times that I bought an Omega weapon, hit one enemy with it and leveled it up. In previous games it definitely was on the other side of things, where a lot of weapons cost 500k or more bolts and took longer to level up to max. In the older games it was often a case of having 2 or 3 weapons at a time and using them until the ammo ran out whereas in this one it felt like I was spoiled for choice on which one to level up at any time, but before I knew it I had maxed it out. I'd just like to be somewhere in the middle, which is tough, I'm sure, but that's really my only complaint with the game.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Do you not think that is possibly because there is a lack of an arena mode?

Also I never bothered finding all the brains on my first play through and now I am doing a challenge run I can't find the last 2! Think I've got every brain in the main brain area and the docks offshore platforms so I'm stumped.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Do you not think that is possibly because there is a lack of an arena mode?

Also I never bothered finding all the brains on my first play through and now I am doing a challenge run I can't find the last 2! Think I've got every brain in the main brain area and the docks offshore platforms so I'm stumped.

The Map-o-matic is your answer.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I am seeing the movie tomorrow with friends pray for me tia

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I got the brains. i missed one that took like 30 mins to track down. would have liked them to have the guy offer a brain scanner or something when you got down to the last few but whatever.

reward is not worth it at all btw. still fun though to fly around on the jetpack before they take it away from you when you leave the planet though.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
The game is very fun but it didn't quite strike me like the original trilogy did. It seems silly to dock points for no arena battles or armor upgrades but here we are I suppose.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I picked the game up a few weeks ago in the store- it was the last copy and the guy had to check and make sure no one pre-ordered it before selling it to me so yeah wow rare physical copy of a reboot of a ps2 game I guess? That being said I finished Dark Souls 3, Bravely Second and got around to finishing Star Fox 0 before finally popping this in to play.

Woo boy this is a video game-rear end video game. I kind of went in expecting the worst because there's no way it can live up to the trilogy that I remember and I was pretty sure I'd find the humor dated and grating but... I'm actually really really enjoying it. Like I'm genuinely impressed. I only finished Novalis but I'm eager to get into the rest when I have more time.

Do have a question as it's kind of bothering me. Sometimes when I'm running around in a fight or something my screen will get a orange tint. I won't take damage or anything but it constantly makes me think I'm being hit and I'm not sure what it is or if I can turn it off because it's super distracting. Other thing is when I was beating up enemies to save the Mayor guy I noticed blue sparks just laying on the ground. Were those graphical hiccups or something else?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

All the goons who said they were checking out the movie last week never reported back...

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Haven't seen the movie yet, but it's down to 19% on Rotten Tomatoes.

What a missed opportunity. They had a successful franchise with tons of built-in fans ready to go, in an era where animated films are just getting better and better. And yet, they seem to have totally whiffed.

They hired a bad writer/director, Kevin Munroe, whose previous writing/directing credits include 2007's TMNT (34%,) and 2011's Dylan Dog: Dead of Night (8%). Munroe co-directed with Jerrica Cleland, an animator who has never directed a feature before.

The script was written by Munroe, TJ Fixman (who wrote basically all the R&C games), and Gerry Swallow -- a screenwriter whose credits are so bad, R&C is actually the second-best reviewed movie on his resume. He write Ice Age 2 -- a commercial success -- but his other four films flopped commercially and critically, raking in RottenTomato scores of 19%, 14%, 9%, and 8%.

The animation studio, Rainmaker, mostly deals with direct-to-video Barbie movies. I counted about 20 of them in their history.

It's a real shame that they didn't -- or simply couldn't -- get the behind-the-camera talent that would have given Ratchet & Clank a fair shot at success. They spent a decent amount of money on an all-star cast, so they clearly had intentions of this being a Big Deal movie. Good on them for allowing James Arnold Taylor, David Kaye, and Jim Ward to keep their roles as Ratchet, Clank, and Qwark, and give them a shot at doing a big-screen adaptation. Many studios would have recast them in a heartbeat to get big, recognizable names in the leading roles. Proceeding with Taylor and Kaye as the leads was, unfortunately, a big commercial risk. We all know that casting, say, Chris Pratt as Ratchet would probably have sold a lot more tickets this weekend.

I hope movie studios start taking game IP's more seriously, and start investing in good directors & writers to lead these projects. There's a lot of money to be made that they're losing out on.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

To be honest, I don't get why they didn't just make the movie in-house. I bet the fine people at Insomniac could write and direct a feature film and have it come out pretty nice. :)

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Great Joe posted:

To be honest, I don't get why they didn't just make the movie in-house. I bet the fine people at Insomniac could write and direct a feature film and have it come out pretty nice. :)

Expense, probably.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Oh no, I'm missing 3 brains on this planet.

I've just been hovering around for the last 30 minutes praying for death to take me.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Oh no, I'm missing 3 brains on this planet.

I've just been hovering around for the last 30 minutes praying for death to take me.

I know where they are. You need to head back toward the main base. Look at the grind rail that got you to the brain area, the last area will be off to the right a ways as you fly forward the main base. This drove me crazy on my first playthrough.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Or just wait until you get the Map-o-matic, then go back and all the brains will be displayed on the map.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Yeah the brains sidequest is maddening because there's 3 brains that are nowhere near the brain collecting area. All you get for finishing it is the box breaker so honestly I'd just wait until you get the Map-O-Matic and go back later.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Ok, I actually saw it. And it was decent but bland movie.

But I mean when you have the choice between zootopia and this, why wouldn't you pick that?

This movie suffered from a clichéd plot and lack of a interesting theme. I thought the galactic rangers were awful and the movie would have benefited more on focusing on Ratchet and Clank ' s relationship.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The brain sidequest is seriously the worst thing about the game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Do have a question as it's kind of bothering me. Sometimes when I'm running around in a fight or something my screen will get a orange tint. I won't take damage or anything but it constantly makes me think I'm being hit and I'm not sure what it is or if I can turn it off because it's super distracting.

I think that happens when there's an explostion or some other impact nearby. I agree, don't like it either, it obfuscates damage feedback. I've also found tracking enemy lasers/projectiles a little harder in this game than previous entries. I end up surprise dying a bit too frequently.

But other than a few quirks, and the space combat/turrets, this is a good Ratchet game.

ImpAtom posted:

They've had areas for grinding coins like this since the second or third game, and they're optional (no excuse for poor design), but this is probably my least favorite one. I got through the entire area in a couple of hours (I think ~2.5).

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I enjoyed this reboot so much I went out and bought a used PS3 and all the R&C games I missed out on last gen.

I'm near the end of Tools of Destruction and oof I'm not a big fan. I took a look at some of the universally positive reviews on metacritic and the consensus at the time seemed to be 'gosh what a pretty game' and 'it's like playing a pixar movie!' It's really funny to think this ugly, ugly game was once so impressive, playing it so close to finishing the gorgeous remake was definitely a bad idea!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Other thing is when I was beating up enemies to save the Mayor guy I noticed blue sparks just laying on the ground. Were those graphical hiccups or something else?
I've definitely seen the odd particle effect glitch, but equally this description sounds like nanotech orbs.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

The slow as hell clank escape sections are worse for me. At least flying for brains is fun

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
So glad that this game is good, now I just have to find the time to play it. For anyone curious about the development of the old games uselesspodcast has two developers who worked on Ratchet and Clank talk about game design and what they were trying to achieve in each game.

Also how's the new game+ in this game and Clank sections? Is there a lot of bonus content (by that I mean like, vehicle riding/grind boots)? Always liked the pacing in all other Ratchet and Clank games although the Clank sections never thrilled me.

Real hurthling! posted:

The slow as hell clank escape sections are worse for me. At least flying for brains is fun

Ah drat, it's funny how they never seemed to be a clear direction on what the Clank sections should be.

Nude fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 5, 2016

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Mr Phillby posted:

I'm near the end of Tools of Destruction and oof I'm not a big fan. I took a look at some of the universally positive reviews on metacritic and the consensus at the time seemed to be 'gosh what a pretty game' and 'it's like playing a pixar movie!' It's really funny to think this ugly, ugly game was once so impressive, playing it so close to finishing the gorgeous remake was definitely a bad idea!

Tools of Destruction is easily the worst classic-playing Ratchet game in the series. Both A Crack In Time and Into The Nexus are VERY good games though.

Do yourself a favor and skip All 4 One. You will miss literally nothing aside from some pretty good Dr. Nefarious scenes, but that does not make up for that awful shitheap of a game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i love the cutscenes in the game where the character says a line in a tone that makes it obvious that its important in the movie like "heroes need to be brave" right before kamekazing an enemy ship or whatever that has never appeared in the game dialogue before. it happens like 2 or 3 times and its always really funny.

Nude posted:

Ah drat, it's funny how they never seemed to be a clear direction on what the Clank sections should be.

there's two types. there's running towards the camera being chased by a big robot shooting at you sections at the beginning and end of the game that move at like .5 miles per hour and are really dull

then there are puzzle rooms where you need to manipulate some robots to be the right type of robot for the job. they're ok but slow and there's no reason why you can't be ratchet during them and still have all your guns they just take them away from you and make you play as clank for no reason.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 5, 2016

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The gently caress, Insomniac? A single save file?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

kalonZombie posted:

Tools of Destruction is easily the worst classic-playing Ratchet game in the series. Both A Crack In Time and Into The Nexus are VERY good games though.

Do yourself a favor and skip All 4 One. You will miss literally nothing aside from some pretty good Dr. Nefarious scenes, but that does not make up for that awful shitheap of a game.

Oh hell yeah i'm skipping All 4 One. I wasn't planning on touching the tower defence spin off either, is that one worthwhile at all? I really enjoyed Deadlocked if that''s any help.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Argyle posted:

Haven't seen the movie yet, but it's down to 19% on Rotten Tomatoes.

What a missed opportunity. They had a successful franchise with tons of built-in fans ready to go, in an era where animated films are just getting better and better. And yet, they seem to have totally whiffed.

They hired a bad writer/director, Kevin Munroe, whose previous writing/directing credits include 2007's TMNT (34%,) and 2011's Dylan Dog: Dead of Night (8%). Munroe co-directed with Jerrica Cleland, an animator who has never directed a feature before.

The script was written by Munroe, TJ Fixman (who wrote basically all the R&C games), and Gerry Swallow -- a screenwriter whose credits are so bad, R&C is actually the second-best reviewed movie on his resume. He write Ice Age 2 -- a commercial success -- but his other four films flopped commercially and critically, raking in RottenTomato scores of 19%, 14%, 9%, and 8%.

The animation studio, Rainmaker, mostly deals with direct-to-video Barbie movies. I counted about 20 of them in their history.

It's a real shame that they didn't -- or simply couldn't -- get the behind-the-camera talent that would have given Ratchet & Clank a fair shot at success. They spent a decent amount of money on an all-star cast, so they clearly had intentions of this being a Big Deal movie. Good on them for allowing James Arnold Taylor, David Kaye, and Jim Ward to keep their roles as Ratchet, Clank, and Qwark, and give them a shot at doing a big-screen adaptation. Many studios would have recast them in a heartbeat to get big, recognizable names in the leading roles. Proceeding with Taylor and Kaye as the leads was, unfortunately, a big commercial risk. We all know that casting, say, Chris Pratt as Ratchet would probably have sold a lot more tickets this weekend.

I hope movie studios start taking game IP's more seriously, and start investing in good directors & writers to lead these projects. There's a lot of money to be made that they're losing out on.
Sony is not really the smartest company when you read the email leaks

Also this is probably a classic case of "We need Hollywood writers because they make the movies, not these video game writers"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

kalonZombie posted:

What didn't you like about Tools of Destruction? Or do you mean "worst" as in you like them all, but you like all the others slightly more than Tools?

• Locked thread