Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Shoren posted:

What didn't you like about Tools of Destruction? Or do you mean "worst" as in you like them all, but you like all the others slightly more than Tools?

It's still a perfectly alright game, but enemies deal way too much damage even if you're keeping up with armor, and a lot of weapons feel kind of useless outside one or two very specific situations. It's a lot like the original in that second way, actually. Also the plot isn't that great and the villain is really boring. Pretty much every classic-style Ratchet is better than it. I'd still play it over almost any other game you offered me, but as a Ratchet and Clank game it's just simply bleh.

Mr Phillby posted:

Oh hell yeah i'm skipping All 4 One. I wasn't planning on touching the tower defence spin off either, is that one worthwhile at all? I really enjoyed Deadlocked if that''s any help.

The tower defense one is alright, I guess, if you like tower defense games. It's also EXTREMELY short if that helps any. Not worth going out of your way to get it but if you already got it or happen to find it on the cheap, yeah, I'd say go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
I played them all consecutively a year ago and I had a blast with all of them minus the first. Maybe I just really liked the series but it notcibly improved once you get to the ps3 games.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

achillesforever6 posted:

Sony is not really the smartest company when you read the email leaks

Also this is probably a classic case of "We need Hollywood writers because they make the movies, not these video game writers"

Yeah, but writing for a game is different than writing for a movie. I think teaming Fixman up with a feature writer was the right idea, but they really should've spent the money to get a seasoned animation writer. Imagine if they brought on someone like Brad Bird, or Lord & Miller, or Jennifer Lee... instead, Sony cheaped out and said "Get me one of the three credited writers on Black Knight!"

Oh well. I'll probably still catch a matinee.

Monolith. posted:

I played them all consecutively a year ago and I had a blast with all of them minus the first. Maybe I just really liked the series but it notcibly improved once you get to the ps3 games.

I am just now remembering that in the first game, you couldn't strafe. God, that was annoying.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Tools really has it's work cut out impressing me at this point given that a) i don't have any nostalgia for it like the ps2 trillogy and b) i've just played a game that taps into that nostalgia while delivering an extra generation's worth of polish.

That said the story is pretty poorly told and not that great so far. I'm not a fan of many of the new characters or designs. The game just feels like a step backwards from Arsenal in every respect but graphical fidelity and the shine has well and truely faded on that front.

It's not unplayable and i have had fun with it, but it's my third least favorite game in the series after the psp titles.

Nearly done now, i'm looking forward to Quest for Booty, given that the pirate characters are the best ne thing in Tools by a wide margin.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Double post so instead of me whining about a PS3 game you can see this cool and insightful video review of the game and the movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFc5uEo31lY

Also a fun and upbeat song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEEWaBqd-_g

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Mr Phillby posted:

Tools really has it's work cut out impressing me at this point given that a) i don't have any nostalgia for it like the ps2 trillogy and b) i've just played a game that taps into that nostalgia while delivering an extra generation's worth of polish.

That said the story is pretty poorly told and not that great so far. I'm not a fan of many of the new characters or designs. The game just feels like a step backwards from Arsenal in every respect but graphical fidelity and the shine has well and truely faded on that front.

It's not unplayable and i have had fun with it, but it's my third least favorite game in the series after the psp titles.

Nearly done now, i'm looking forward to Quest for Booty, given that the pirate characters are the best ne thing in Tools by a wide margin.

Quest for Booty is bad (not like, All4One bad or anything) but short - stick with it because the last game in the PS3 series is pretty great.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

A Crack In Time was my favorite Ratchet and Clank game until this one came out. Into the Nexus is also really loving good. Definitely stick with the PS3 games.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

kalonZombie posted:

A Crack In Time was my favorite Ratchet and Clank game until this one came out.

What do you consider this game doing better besides raw polish?

For me it'd be the upgrade system, but otherwise I think I still prefer Crack. I'm not even sure why I'm not entirely in love with the game. I was at first blush. The recycling of old levels probably hurt it, for me. That said, it is a good installment.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

kalonZombie posted:

A Crack In Time was my favorite Ratchet and Clank game until this one came out. Into the Nexus is also really loving good. Definitely stick with the PS3 games.

I had literally forgotten that Into the Nexus existed, wow.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Other than what was said I'll stay at least watch the clips of Deadlocked, it was a fun game to play at a birthday party or get together back in the day

Though they tried making the game serious like Jak 2 and it didn't really work as well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCFKaVPnIeg

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

From a pure gameplay perspective, aside from a lack of an arena planet, I liked the remake best. From an overall package perspective, though, nothing has come close to Crack.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

What do you consider this game doing better besides raw polish?

For me it'd be the upgrade system, but otherwise I think I still prefer Crack. I'm not even sure why I'm not entirely in love with the game. I was at first blush. The recycling of old levels probably hurt it, for me. That said, it is a good installment.

The raw polish did it in, but I think overall the weapons upgrade better and the controls are better. Not to mention there's not a million sidequest planets that all feel the same.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

achillesforever6 posted:

Other than what was said I'll stay at least watch the clips of Deadlocked, it was a fun game to play at a birthday party or get together back in the day

Though they tried making the game serious like Jak 2 and it didn't really work as well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCFKaVPnIeg

See, that's something I thought, too, when I was younger when it first came out (man, that was a while ago) hut I recently had a chance to replay it... again before the remake came out and it's really not *that* serious.

Sure, the situation is a bit more dire than the games that came before it but the characters do still resemble how they acted in the past and you could believe it was still in the same universe and not 'dystopian time travel land'.

The humor is pretty well kept, too. You can even see it in the cut scenes there.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I super enjoyed Deadlocked. I'm a sucker for the whole deadly game show conceit and structure wise it's R&C meets EDF.

Also 2 player co-op and the guns go up to lv.99!

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Mr Phillby posted:

I super enjoyed Deadlocked. I'm a sucker for the whole deadly game show conceit and structure wise it's R&C meets EDF.

Also 2 player co-op and the guns go up to lv.99!

Also the crazy gun modding, you could make a flail that tossed every enemy a mile away or a shotgun that healed you or dual pistols that shot 200 bullets in 4 seconds. A shame that co-op never returned.

I only played Size Matters on ps2 but it's not terrible? The graphics are not pretty and the final boss is hard as hell, but the rest is really fun and the armour system is interesting. All 4 One and the agent Clank spinoff are the only two awful games I can think of right now.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Zaa Boogie posted:

See, that's something I thought, too, when I was younger when it first came out (man, that was a while ago) hut I recently had a chance to replay it... again before the remake came out and it's really not *that* serious.

Sure, the situation is a bit more dire than the games that came before it but the characters do still resemble how they acted in the past and you could believe it was still in the same universe and not 'dystopian time travel land'.

The humor is pretty well kept, too. You can even see it in the cut scenes there.

Seriously, the closest thing to Grimdark that game gets is when Big Al gets shot, and he comes back in the next scene.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Spergminer posted:

Also the crazy gun modding, you could make a flail that tossed every enemy a mile away or a shotgun that healed you or dual pistols that shot 200 bullets in 4 seconds. A shame that co-op never returned.

I only played Size Matters on ps2 but it's not terrible? The graphics are not pretty and the final boss is hard as hell, but the rest is really fun and the armour system is interesting. All 4 One and the agent Clank spinoff are the only two awful games I can think of right now.

I played Size Matters on an OG PSP and that thing made my hands cramp up every 30 minutes or so, that probably affected my enjoyment of it. I don't really remember it at all. I couldn't even finish Agent Cank. I never played (and never will play) All 4 One so it's not on my list.

So close to finishing Tools now, but the completionist in me won't be satisfied if I don't get all the gold Bolts and RYNO Plans. Ran into a fun glitch where the treasure tracker icons for gold bolts on the map screen don't always disappear for some reason??? Sometimes they just come back in their proper locations, but other times they follow ratchet's position, and other times they seem to orbit around the level at incredible speeds.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Mr Phillby posted:

So close to finishing Tools now, but the completionist in me won't be satisfied if I don't get all the gold Bolts and RYNO Plans. Ran into a fun glitch where the treasure tracker icons for gold bolts on the map screen don't always disappear for some reason??? Sometimes they just come back in their proper locations, but other times they follow ratchet's position, and other times they seem to orbit around the level at incredible speeds.

Speaking of insane completion, does the 2016 R&C still have skill points which unlock cheats like big head mode?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
No skill points I'm afraid, but honestly they're sort of redundant in the age of achievements.

Gold Bolts are the Extras menu unlock currency this time around. There's no big head mode, but you can turn ratchet into a wall-eyed dinosaur and replace bolts with off-brand rupees or rings.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Mr Phillby posted:

No skill points I'm afraid, but honestly they're sort of redundant in the age of achievements.

Gold Bolts are the Extras menu unlock currency this time around. There's no big head mode, but you can turn ratchet into a wall-eyed dinosaur and replace bolts with off-brand rupees or rings.

That's all I wanted.

Mr Phillby posted:

I played Size Matters on an OG PSP and that thing made my hands cramp up every 30 minutes or so, that probably affected my enjoyment of it. I don't really remember it at all. I couldn't even finish Agent Cank. I never played (and never will play) All 4 One so it's not on my list.

Size Matters was my intro to Ratchet and Clank (on psp) so I'm probably biased but I really liked their guns, both the starters and upgrades. Armor system was cool, and the levels were nice too. Didn't mind the Clank spin off either.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I beat Tools! God drat am i glad i went back and got the RYNO, that last boss would have been an awful slog without it!

It's a real shame how many weapons become completely obsolete by the end, there were some really cool ones. I spent a lot if time on the final level hoofin' it back to the weapon vendor to refill the Vindicator because it was the onky thing I had left that actually killed things. That and the plasma ckaws, but gently caress getting close to anything when the big cragmites could literally one shot me ftom full health.

Not the worst game in the world but it really did seem to take the ps2 game's fkaws and magnify them. Early R&C games had pretty tight development cycles, I guess that just didn't scale up very well to HD consoles. The game just feels rushed in a way the previous insrallments never did.

Quest for Booty just finished installing. Wish me luck.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Quest for Booty isn't bad because it's short and all the weapons start out at level 3 to begin with. A Crack In Time is worth sticking out for though, as well as Into the Nexus.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Mr Phillby posted:

Not the worst game in the world but it really did seem to take the ps2 game's fkaws and magnify them

I was just grateful that those homing mine enemies from the first game weren't recreated in this one. I hated those so much.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Mr Phillby posted:

Not the worst game in the world but it really did seem to take the ps2 game's fkaws and magnify them. Early R&C games had pretty tight development cycles, I guess that just didn't scale up very well to HD consoles. The game just feels rushed in a way the previous insrallments never did.
TOD was a weird game, it really felt like a tech demo of what a PS3 game could be. HD textures, sixaxis gimmicks (urgh), gigantic levels with stuff exploding everywhere. All the weird awkward stuff got in the way of actual gameplay fortunately got mostly removed in a Crack in time.
I actually got my NTSC TOD copy for cheap in an American Gamestop. When I installed the game, it defaulted to Danish text and voice acting which blew my mind. The danish dub isn't terribly good, outside of Qwark in general and Slag yelling "SKEWER THAT CHEEKY BITCH".

I remember rewatching this first trailer a dozen times, thinking "this is what future video games will be like".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6luXdpGkS68

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

drat I really loved Tools of Destruction. Everything looked so nice, and the space pirates :allears:

Meanwhile Crack in Time, with the non combat areas and space travel, I dunno it felt like a totally different series to me...

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Strategic Tea posted:

drat I really loved Tools of Destruction. Everything looked so nice, and the space pirates :allears:

Meanwhile Crack in Time, with the non combat areas and space travel, I dunno it felt like a totally different series to me...
Each to his own I suppose. I'm still looking forward to Crack in Time after hearing all the nice things people have been saying bout it.

I'm only a little way into Booty now ( I think? how short is this game again?), and I'm liking it a bunch! some thoughts:

I like the idea of a R&C game exploring multiple areas of one planet, it's a neat change of pace. As was the fairly long section without weapons.

The wrench tether gimmick works best when you're manipulating platforms on the fly while dodging obstacles rather than just holding down to charge a spring launcher.

Disappointed to see the returning weapons, I was hoping you'd pick up a completely new set after losing them. I don't have a sixaxis so the tornado launcher is useless to me.

I don't know if it's just Insomniac getting better at working with the console, or improved art direction or both but this game just looks a whole lot nicer! The first island in particular, with actual npcs rather than the 'consumer robots' from Tools. It just feels so vibrant and alive. Not happy to see the Smuggler again, he looks even worse in such lush surroundings.

Missing clank. Where's my long jump? Took me a while to realize you can still hold a button to swim faster underwater, i swear it even makes the same noise as Clank's propellers.

And finally Rusty Pete is my favorite character from Tools and I'm glad he's pulling double duty as Narrator and Antagonist. The Robot Space Pirates are a lot fun in general, I just hope that shity jig minigame doesn't make a return.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

SHAKE YER BOOTY

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Wow I knew Booty was short, but jeez. Overall not awful but sort of a waste.

I just got to the second sector in Crack, and yep this game rules. The writing has been great so far, a lot of actual funny jokes and boy am I happy to see Nefarious again. The design and graphics are beautiful as hell. The ship stuff is cool, I love these little sidequest planets! And the Clank sections are the best in the series in that they are actually fun to play. There was a cool bossfight as Clank, i didn't think that would be possible.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Mr Phillby posted:

Wow I knew Booty was short, but jeez. Overall not awful but sort of a waste.

I just got to the second sector in Crack, and yep this game rules. The writing has been great so far, a lot of actual funny jokes and boy am I happy to see Nefarious again. The design and graphics are beautiful as hell. The ship stuff is cool, I love these little sidequest planets! And the Clank sections are the best in the series in that they are actually fun to play. There was a cool bossfight as Clank, i didn't think that would be possible.

There is one bad part in Crack, and that's mostly because if you die you have to redo a long, irritating, Sonic-style run segment before you can try again.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

beep by grandpa posted:

All the goons who said they were checking out the movie last week never reported back...

It's really loving bad

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
Yeah, I was hype for it when it was revealed but I was super disappointed to hear how it turned out. Might rent it digitally for a couple bucks to check it out. At least the game is great!

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Finally got around to playing this game! It was a great time, but I still need to do Challenge Mode and force myself through the godawful hoverboard stuff. Does anybody know if the difficulty level affects the races at all?

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Finally got around to playing this game! It was a great time, but I still need to do Challenge Mode and force myself through the godawful hoverboard stuff. Does anybody know if the difficulty level affects the races at all?

It does, I dropped the difficulty down to easy for both sets of races and they were a breeze.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Spalec posted:

It does, I dropped the difficulty down to easy for both sets of races and they were a breeze.

You can also drop the game speed, if that helps, but you'd need enough gold bolts for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

tribbledirigible posted:

You can also drop the game speed, if that helps, but you'd need enough gold bolts for it.

And just make yourself invincible too. Still need to shave five seconds off of my time to get the trophy though.

• Locked thread