Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Fry has my support because he also hates Miami. Vote yes on Stephen Fry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

suck my balls, sempai

stephen fry is an international treasure.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

I hope the pouting goes on for at least another 4 pages

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

how me a frog posted:

Oh so after GBS became poo poo GBS which became GBS 2.0 which became whatever the fuk this was until recently, it is now D&D and rather than going hog wild I'm supposed to write up a dissertation about why maybe victims of sexual abuse weren't asking for it despite whatever Stephen Fry says, or whatever he said, to be honest I forget at this point. Blah

I didn't gather anything to that effect from Fry's statement. Maybe you're mad about something you imagined?

Microwaves Mom posted:

Okay op back from shaving and trimming and I thought about what you said.

Well Stephen Fry may be right here if I remember he also whines about people being mean to him on twitter.

This corroborates with my hypotenuse.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
"Abloo bloo bloo not wanting statues honoring the folks who raped Africa with Colonialism is literally Orwellian-level unpersoning" -A cool reasonable opinion from an old fat gently caress

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah, troubled teen committed petty crime isn't exactly blowing my mind

I think given the way he shits on other troubled people who largely, unlike him, somehow managed not to be delinquents, this facette of his past and likely present is extremely relevant, but maybe I'm just crazy.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Coolness Averted posted:

"Abloo bloo bloo not wanting statues honoring the folks who raped Africa with Colonialism is literally Orwellian-level unpersoning" -A cool reasonable opinion from an old fat gently caress

So is it not?

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

the first thing im going to do with my hitlonian murder cube is molest stephen fry

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Coolness Averted posted:

i think he was just saying "gently caress your stupid crybaby politics", you're over-interpreting it

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I never would have imagined a time when young people have turned against Steven Fry, a cool british guy who was so recently the darling of all the weird kids who liked British things.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
Could we instead focus on pleasant British tv personalities? Like Graham Norton, he seems like an all around swell guy. I bet his wife thanks her lucky stars every morning right after waking up.

Our Jimmy Savile, who touched the lives of so many young people.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

how me a frog posted:

Could we instead focus on pleasant British tv personalities? Like Graham Norton, he seems like an all around swell guy. I bet his wife thanks her lucky stars every morning right after waking up.

Our Jimmy Saville, who touched the lives of so many young people.

Which one is Graham Norton?

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Applewhite posted:

Which one is Graham Norton?

He's kind of a cracker. He hosts the show where guests crack wise. It's in no way scripted. You know the one.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
You know who I want to be irl friends with? Richard Ayoade. He is probably a laugh a minute.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

how me a frog posted:

He's kind of a cracker. He hosts the show where guests crack wise. It's in no way scripted. You know the one.

I uh, I don't. Is this a new show?

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Applewhite posted:

You know who I want to be irl friends with? Richard Ayoade. He is probably a laugh a minute.

Probably specifically on the minute, with 50 seconds of awkward silence and intense staring in between.

edit: It is called the Graham Norton show I believe. They have a segment where hey put normal people on a chair and have them tell stories about how they maybe saw Johnny Depp once on the tube, to the delight of an entire nation.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
:siren: Whiny, self-centered crybaby who regularly "quits" Twitter tells other people to stop being self-centered. :siren:

a fragile ego
Oct 19, 2014

OP is incredibly brave for admitting his agreement with stephen fry.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I agree with Stephen Fry. Trigger warnings are the dumbest thing to be appropriated from people with real problems by wannabe special snowflakes. Anecdotally I've found every person I've met who uses them in real life to be insufferable, so I may be biased.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
You'll find most people complaining about things on the internet are unconsciously complaining about themselves.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Doc Block posted:

:siren: Whiny, self-centered crybaby who regularly "quits" Twitter tells other people to stop being self-centered. :siren:

Sometimes I stop sitting in the bottom of an outhouse, but then I think, someone will think I'm a quitter and get back in.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

The only British dude I'm cool with is David Attenborough. And his brother the old dude from Jurassic Park. I literally do not know who one limey dude mentioned in this thread is.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

SilkyP posted:

The only British dude I'm cool with is David Attenborough. And his brother the old dude from Jurassic Park. I literally do not know who one limey dude mentioned in this thread is.

I like him too except he thinks global warming is real lol

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Applewhite posted:

So is it not?

depends on how gay and british you are I think, Fry still comes across as charming and cool if smarmy dude to talk to in that interview while his little buddy guiding the conversation is a twat.

City of Tampa posted:

i think he was just saying "gently caress your stupid crybaby politics", you're over-interpreting it
Yeah you're probably right, I mean it's not like he said

Stephen Fry posted:

It’s started to happen in the attempted removal of statues of people who are considered unlikeable – once beloved – and have become ‘un-persons’ in a very 1984-way.
directly after talking about the horrible poo poo Rhodes did or anything.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Destroying art that disagrees with your ideals is hosed up.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

natetimm posted:

You'll find most people complaining about things on the internet are unconsciously complaining about themselves.

Oh, I know I'm an insufferable rear end in a top hat. I just don't use trigger warnings as a cover for my immaturity.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I think he's right in saying that people should confront the poo poo that hosed them up instead of trying to make the world a super special safe place.

I think he's wrong in actively attacking rape victims for being too victim-y.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Germstore posted:

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Coolness Averted posted:

depends on how gay and british you are I think, Fry still comes across as charming and cool if smarmy dude to talk to in that interview while his little buddy guiding the conversation is a twat.

Yeah you're probably right, I mean it's not like he said

directly after talking about the horrible poo poo Rhodes did or anything.

yeah he's pretty much saying "gently caress your stupid crybaby politics".

he doesn't support colonialism or blind veneration of colonialists. nobody does (minus a few crazies) , that's why bitching about the statue is stupid

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

gannyGrabber posted:

I think he's right in saying that people should confront the poo poo that hosed them up instead of trying to make the world a super special safe place.

I dunno. I mean, rape is really traumatic and people who have been raped deserve sympathy and understanding , but at the same time I could conceive of a level of whininess and self-pity that would not be justified by one's past traumas.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
It's kind of like how racism is a serious social issue that needs to be addressed, but at the same time it is not impossible for individual accusations of racism to be frivolous.

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
Stephen Fry: "I am sorry you got raped. I think it is important that you try not to dwell on it too much and instead spend your energy moving on."

GBS: "This is absolutely unacceptable. I shall immediately create a pile of conjecture and use it as an argument against your person! Good day!" *shits pants*

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Bundle of Keys posted:

Stephen Fry: "I am sorry you got raped. I think it is important that you try not to dwell on it too much and instead spend your energy moving on."

GBS: "This is absolutely unacceptable. I shall immediately create a pile of conjecture and use it as an argument against your person! Good day!" *shits pants*

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Wait, so Stephen Fry is gay because he got raped as a kid? Help me out here GBS.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

gannyGrabber posted:

I agree with this post but I don't think he was attacking anybody, he just phrased it insensitively to emphasize how much it bothers him like people generally do when they're annoyed at something, which was probably not a good idea on his part

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Well the word got around they said this kid is insane, man
Banged in the mouth and now he's got AIDS, man
I just really loving hate celebrity opinions!!!!! :shrek:

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
i don't care op

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008

Germstore posted:

its kind of like burning books imo

no one respects people who unironically burn books and no one should respect people who call for the destruction of historical monuments or art because their ideology at the time isn't 100% in sync with the current year

however, destroying historical monuments is what isis does, so i guess these kids are in good company

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
astatue of cecil rhode s is not loving art lmbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
You do all realise he suffers from depression and has tried to off himself a couple of times>?

• Locked thread