Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

nomadologique posted:

astatue of cecil rhode s is not loving art lmbo

By any reasonable definition of art, yes it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
sure Gaddafi was a bad dude by modern standards but maybe the people who tore down his statues are the real monsters makes u think

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Germstore posted:

By any reasonable definition of art, yes it is.

In exactly the same way that the artists poo poo in a can is.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
8-Bit Scholar? More like two-bit shitposter.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I'm going to go to Oxford and benefit from what Rhodes did in a very real way- but- I don't want to think about that- so if you could just go ahead and take down that statue- that'd be great.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
sorry monuments to self aggrandizing rich dudes only count as art (a) after 500 years and/or (b) if they are any good, instead of totally uninteresting

here is an example of a monument (to a writer, not a self aggrandizing rich dude) that is good, and is therefore art

there is no "reasonable definition" of art motherfucker, people cut each other throat's over this stuff

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

staberind posted:

In exactly the same way that the artists poo poo in a can is.

Feces Jesus is the exception of poo poo Art because it makes everyone complicit in it's message

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Unless there were early 20th century 3d printers that I don't know about, yeah it's art.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

i guess your reasonable definition of art includes thomas kinkaid then, and now i am alternately furious and amused.

regardless, the idea that human hands produced a thing is what makes it art opens up a gigantic shitstorm. weee. so many oppositions to that idea they can barely be enumerated.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

nomadologique posted:

sorry monuments to self aggrandizing rich dudes only count as art (a) after 500 years and/or (b) if they are any good, instead of totally uninteresting

here is an example of a monument (to a writer, not a self aggrandizing rich dude) that is good, and is therefore art

there is no "reasonable definition" of art motherfucker, people cut each other throat's over this stuff

How exactly is a statue created three decades after Rhodes died, "self aggrandizing?"

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

bc he took all his money and gave it all around w the implicit understanding that they'd name poo poo after him and put pictures of him up all over the place. have you ever visited a college campus? "i would like to make a 300 million donation. oh, you want to name a building after me? how thoughtful!"

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

"If it is art then man, I'd be a real idiot illiberal rear end in a top hat, therefore it must not be art."

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

gently caress this unamerican rear end in a top hat, we are changing his name to Freedom Fry

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
If I were a millionaire and I donated a bunch of money to an institution of higher learning I'd expect a statue, too.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

basement jihadist posted:

gently caress this unamerican rear end in a top hat, we are changing his name to Freedom Fry

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Applewhite posted:

If I were a millionaire and I donated a bunch of money to an institution of higher learning I'd expect a statue, too.

But don't you see? The fattest, most worthless generation in history is triggered by that statue and demands it be removed immediately!

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
The idea being that there is a tenure that goes with the building as "Resident Sex Haver" and you donate a long time before you die.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

staberind posted:

The idea being that there is a tenure that goes with the building as "Resident Sex Haver" and you donate a long time before you die.

Screw that, I'd want to be Resident Ghost and be allowed to scare people whenever I want

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

The artist, Marion Walgate, was featured at the Royal Academy three times, so someone seemed to think she was an artist. Oh well, better erase her accomplishments because you don't like the subject matter.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

natetimm posted:

But don't you see? The fattest, most worthless generation in history is triggered by that statue and demands it be removed immediately!

You know that's another thing that bugs me. When did conquerors stop being cool? Caesar and Alexander the Great and Ghengis Khan were rad as hell and anyone should be proud to have a statue of any of them on their campus.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
A conqueror would tear down the statue on their own power instead of writing a think piece demanding the administration send out some of their poorly-paid minority laborers to do it.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
This generation needs to be reminded of what a *real man* looks like.

It's time again to link the video of my masculine role model:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=082y805mkA8

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Too low of a voice. Needs to sing soprano.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
GBS is now making GBS threads on Stephen Fry and defending trigger warnings for stuff by Shakespeare? I can't keep up with you assholes anymore. gently caress you guys, I'm going full curmudgeon. I'm reinstalling XP, and I'm gonna go play some MUDs. Dicks.

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 13, 2016

Stocky Manhood
Jul 29, 2014

Can I get a hat wobble?

how me a frog posted:

Our Jimmy Savile, who touched the lives of so many young people.

He sure touched a lot of children (with he dick) (allegedly):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Savile_sexual_abuse_scandal

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
trigger warnings are cool, I'll take any excuse not to read

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Without reading the thread, I'm just going to assume the vast majority people who are super angry at Fry are the same people who are staunch supporters of trigger warnings in the first place, i.e. those who have zero personal history with sexual abuse and blither on about microaggressions.

But I'm sure that this thread is full of well written thought pieces that prove me wrong, right?

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
It's like people who hate safe spaces need a safe space from safe spaces.

It is the eternal continuum of outrage.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
I am of the opinion that Fry expressed his view rather carelessly / insensitively but also that his comments have been taken wildly out of context so I guess the truth is somewhere in the middle?

:shrug:

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
Hello Hellthread.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Al Cowens posted:

Hello Hellthread.

Hail Hydra

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

City of Tampa posted:

Stephen Fry was a real rear end in a top hat about Miami on that show he had where he drove a london taxi across America, I don't think he even actually checked it out, he just dissed it. Like how does a rich gay dude not love Miami?

Dave Rubin's cool tho

His commentary on my home in that show was essentially, 'Yep, and then on the other side of the river there's that swamp. Moving along....'

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Art has to be destroyed or we would be all living like loving hoarders surrounded by piles of lovely finger paintings and rotting books

Much like fry needs to be destroyed

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Goffer posted:

living like loving hoarders surrounded by piles of lovely finger paintings and rotting books

yeah but that's pretty much England's thing, everything being really old and molding and kinda poo poo

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I was lying on the grass one day at colege and an old highschool trauma made a wisp of cloud appear to me under the aspect of a different opinion. as i was directly outside the chancellors office, and could see thru the window that he was otherwise unoccupied, i imediately got up, brushed the grass of my back and marched straight inside my bedroom where i addresed an email to the chancellor about my human rights. ive never clicked a mouse as hard as when i sent that email straight into my draftbox because i have anxiety.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Stuntman posted:

seriously, though, what's caused this 2016 influx of 2004-style bigots like the OP to this forum? changed gbs format?

You are in every one of these threads throwing "BIGOT" around in less than an hour. You call people on the internet bigots like it's your job, dude. Your job sucks.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Watch his bp/new orleans documentary looooooooooooooool

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i don't like english potato-chin man.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Wulfolme posted:

You are in every one of these threads throwing "BIGOT" around in less than an hour. You call people on the internet bigots like it's your job, dude. Your job sucks.

man this agravates an old trauma in me. I wish you hadnt gone there. the word bigot singlehandedly sent my jumbo spigot company out of business,and my life has never really recovered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I've noticed a real increase in bigots ever since I redefined "bigot" as anyone who disagrees with me. Very disturbing.

• Locked thread