Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Since someone was nice enough to resurrect this thread, may as well post the second developer diary video thing. It shows off modular station construction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRoSZIsIx4w

They've also updated the vehicle list but there's really nothing groundbreaking in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This is the only "Trains" thread, so I thought I'd post this here.

Simutrans is now on steam. Never played it myself, might take a look.

So... a slightly more polished Open TTD, then?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

YF19pilot posted:

Nah, it's different. Similar but different, though I suppose the two have converged somewhat over time.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

YF19pilot posted:

It's actually probably less polished. But it's more complex. Everything has very specific destinations that it needs transporting to. Passengers have a city in mind, goods have specific factories that they need transporting to. It's not quite as user friendly as OpenTTD.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Does it have multiplayer?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Ahundredbux posted:

Does it have multiplayer?

Simutrans does, yes. Never tried it though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

thedaian posted:

It's actually probably less polished. But it's more complex. Everything has very specific destinations that it needs transporting to. Passengers have a city in mind, goods have specific factories that they need transporting to. It's not quite as user friendly as OpenTTD.

If this option/feature was in OpenTTD, it would be absolutely perfect.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

If this option/feature was in OpenTTD, it would be absolutely perfect.

Well, it is I'm pretty sure?
CargoDist was folded into OpenTTD a few years back, it's been a while since I played though, so I'm not sure how to enable it.

e: It's apparently disabled by default, but you can enable it in the advanced settings for cargo/passengers and mail. So just look around the settings menu.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 2, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

SubNat posted:

Well, it is I'm pretty sure?
CargoDist was folded into OpenTTD a few years back, it's been a while since I played though, so I'm not sure how to enable it.

e: It's apparently disabled by default, but you can enable it in the advanced settings for cargo/passengers and mail. So just look around the settings menu.

Oh man, thanks!!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

This looks promising! I've been jonesing for a train game lately, but I'm at the point where both Simutrans and OpenTTD drive me up the wall by lacking things the other has. Simutrans has some really nice UI features, like drag-to-lay-track working between any two points and not just in straight lines, and automatic laying of signals, and I love the fact that you can build underground train stations -- something that OpenTTD desperately needs given how hostile the local authority is and how many buildings you need to destroy to build a train station near the middle of a city otherwise.

The flip side of this is that you will never have enough money to actually do that, and if you have a high-DPI display it can't be played at all, since it doesn't support UI scaling. It also has lots of weird graphical glitches and is generally less polished.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Since this now seems to be the default thread for OTTD, does anybody still have that super-adorable signalling tutorial image?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

You mean this one?

Honestly most of that is obsoleted by Path Signals.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

That's the one.

Sure, it's not terribly useful, but it's still cute as heck. :3:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Going to pull this thread back on topic for a sec to post a developer diary that will probably make most people who played Train Fever very happy; they've gone through great lengths to fix the finicky rear end rail and street laying tools:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecxe7TzbhBc

Should make it much, much, much easier to build proper networks without having to knock everything down or build weird junctions that jam up train traffic.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

That is looking pretty good.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Closed beta is open, for signups!
http://www.transportfever.com/closed-beta-test-application/

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

They didn't really want a lot of info, guess it's more of a lottery system. I'm used to constantly signing up for paradox beta's where they essentially want a huge resume full of references except much like the job market it makes it nearly impossible for someone without prior test experience to get in. A lottery at least gives you a random cross section of people, not just hard core players.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I wish you could just pay extra for early access.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Another blog is up.

http://www.transportfever.com/transport-fever-developer-blog-5-cargo-system/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpW5Q8fFCMM

Sounds like cargos might have specific destinations.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

That looks like a massive improvement to the Train Fever system for cargo.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

thedaian posted:

That looks like a massive improvement to the Train Fever system for cargo.
To be fair, it wouldn't take much to improve that travesty.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
That will make long routes feasible and fun.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Beta applications closed and I didn't get selected :(

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Same. Guess I'm not foamer enough.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've been applying to beta's since I was a kid and never been accepted to one :(

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Baronjutter posted:

I've been applying to beta's since I was a kid and never been accepted to one :(
I wouldn't be too bummed about it - testing a half finished game until you break it can really burn you out, then when the finished product is actually released you may already be sick of it.

In related news, here's a new trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12658_-LM3E

Really nothing new, there is a short segment that displays building station platforms on a curve. Which I guess could be useful if you're building a station in a tight space or on the side of a hill.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I wouldn't be too bummed about it - testing a half finished game until you break it can really burn you out, then when the finished product is actually released you may already be sick of it.

This has happened to me a couple times.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Train Fever is having a Steam Sale. Like $5 or $6. Should I buy?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

They say they're expecting to offer a rebate for Transport Fever to owners of Train Fever, so if you're planning to buy Transport Fever on launch you may effectively get Train Fever for free at that price.

It's not a bad game, but it does get very samey after a while. It definitely has the best rail track layout building I've seen anywhere, despite the limitations of the UI, and some obvious, actually-existing geometries being illegal.
You'll probably get at least 5-10 hours out of it, more if you really like the genre. I think a full length game takes 20+ hours?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

YF19pilot posted:

Train Fever is having a Steam Sale. Like $5 or $6. Should I buy?

Yes if you like train games. Support the dev even if the game is flawed.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Okay, so I'm playing Train Fever and... how do I make money?

I keep hearing conflicting advice about what to go after; some people say go where cargo is flowing, others say go after areas where cargo isn't flowing. I get there's a lot of complaints about Train Fever actually being "bus fever". In my current game, I'm getting so close, but not quite into being in the black. I set up a bus route between two somewhat nearby cities, and a passenger rail line between two cities. These two seem to be making money, but only just.

I tried to add some cargo/goods bus lines to areas that aren't as busy, but I think that's what's dragging me down. What's the "correct answer"?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Are your vehicles actually delivering cargo?

Passengers have destinations, and a limited travel time, so if you link up two cities, make sure passengers can get from the train station to anywhere in the city within a reasonable time. Buses are important for that.

For cargo transport, the most important thing is that the final link of the chain determines the capacity of every link on the chain.
A secondary industry producing Goods will only produce if it can deliver its goods to a city. It also requires raw materials delivered to be able to produce anything. Industries without outgoing transport links can at most produce 25 units a month, but that may be fine to get started.

Example: If you can find a sawmill close to a city, and a forestry near but not too close to the sawmill, then link up the forestry to the sawmill. Then the sawmill should be able to produce goods that can "walk" to the city, meaning you can deliver up to 25 units of wood per month to the sawmill. That ought to let you make a profit. When you're doing okay on that, you can improve the situation by linking up the sawmill to more cities. Keep in mind that cities have a limit of how much goods they can accept too, and that only the industrial sector of the city accepts goods. (So it's not irrelevant where in the city you place the cargo station, and for anything but gigantic cities you need to distribute goods to multiple cities from one industry.) It's probably most economical to use road vehicles for delivering the goods to the cities. Delivering the goods will lift the 25/month limit on the sawmill's production, letting your wood train increase deliveries and profits.

The important part here is that since you need to make sure the full chain can work, it can be less investment to get started with a service that only requires one leg instead of two or three.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You mean this one?

Honestly most of that is obsoleted by Path Signals.

Was that Bad Munki?

I remember the TTD thread. We need another one. I loved that thread.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
It would be nice if trains (especially freight trains) could find their way to an empty spot in stations but since passengers and cargo still need to wait at a designated platform before they board the train I doubt that's going to be the case here.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Oodles posted:

Was that Bad Munki?

I remember the TTD thread. We need another one. I loved that thread.

It really was great. Not the most trafficked (:smug:) but still great.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It really was great. Not the most trafficked (:smug:) but still great.

There was also the multiplayer server too, which was pretty much covered with all sorts of offensive symbols and company names.

I really should look into setting up a TTD server again.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Oodles posted:

There was also the multiplayer server too, which was pretty much covered with all sorts of offensive symbols and company names.

You really, really should.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oodles posted:

I'm a little surprised that the ottd thread ever died

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ok there are three OTTD servers up and running here, PM me directly if it gets all hosed up and I need to restart it or whatever. I'l leave it to someone else to organize running a game(s) there.

openttd1.treeoctop.us:32768
openttd2.treeoctop.us:32769
openttd3.treeoctop.us:32770

NOTE: you need to download an OLDER version, 1.5.3 (dec 2015) not the latest version (1.6.1 - july 2016). Find it here:

http://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/games/openttd/binaries/releases/1.5.3/index.html

Direct link to the windows installer: http://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/games/openttd/binaries/releases/1.5.3/openttd-1.5.3-windows-win64.exe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Every time a new train/transport/economy game comes out I end up playing it, and depending on how bad/good it is, I end up with my "time to reinstalling Railroad tycoon" factor.

Train fever was sub sixty minutes.

After being spoiled by the sheer number of goods in rt3, the natural supply movement, a functional stock market, and basically everything else it had, nothing else compares, even this many years later. Why do all the devs refuse to put in an actual in depth economic algorithm nowadays? If they could make one functional for RT2 rt3 Era computers, then what the hell.

Are there literally that many more people that just want a children's train table?

Something else that from what I can remember right now, only Rt3 had and resulted in my immediately stopping playing of railroads!! The ability to transfer a train car from one train to another for more complicated routes. Trains are effective at cargo movement in real life because they aren't required to be point to point. That poo poo pisses me off to no end. (I may have grown up in a rail and logging town)

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 21, 2016