Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Very good advice - a bit I would add is that I always add a tiny bit of slack “in reverse” as well. If a town wants 100 of something I’ll do 120 for my trucks, ~130 for my trains and the factory supply (also usually trains).

I tend to increase this a little if the frequency of the line is very high, just because any delay can fluctuate any given “cycle” a decent amount.

Also an important note is to check for full platforms. I don’t know *exactly* how it works (and someone fill me in if they do) but the game warns you about a platform being full and I think you may lose some goods if a train drops 300 goods onto a 40 unit capable platform with trucks only able to take 8 at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

If you want to make profitable passenger lines, always do point to point lines only.

If you have a line of cities say A B C D, make lines for A-B B-C and C-D. It's tempting to make one big line that goes A-B-C-D-C-B-A but you will never get your load factors consistently high. With point to point only lines you can adjust the capacity for each link individually and keep everything smooth and efficient. Passengers have zero problem transferring between trains at a terminal.

e: About full platforms, yeah the game starts dumping excess cargo and you usually get an alert about it. Try to set up your truck line to wait at the train station for a full load, this eases this problem.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I was very mad when I found a perfect circle of cities, ran a train going to each one and watching it hit the negatives, then doing the same but ab bc cd de ef fa and raking in the dough.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Is there any bias toward not switching modes of transportation? I once briefly got into planes and it seemed like no one wanted to use my airport between two nearby cities served by busses, but would heavily prefer using one near to a city center where they didn’t have to bus.

Come to think of it maybe it was actually faster for them to train to another city and use their airport instead.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

How long did you let it run? It also takes a while for passengers to figure out new alternate routes.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

The only bias against switching transport modes should be the average wait time for the line.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

dogstile posted:

I was very mad when I found a perfect circle of cities, ran a train going to each one and watching it hit the negatives, then doing the same but ab bc cd de ef fa and raking in the dough.

Same, it seemed like the right way to do it but I can't make it work like that.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
drat, I had a bullettrain running roundabouts like that and it was making a profit, but after converting them to point-to-point individual lines they're making 10 times more.

Anyone have any settings/tweak for TF2 performance? I've got a pretty beefy rig (i7 7700k, GTX1080) but even on decent settings I'm getting lower 40s fps when looking near cities or moving the map at lower zoom levels.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
I don't think the game actually tells you anywhere what the point or effect of building an HQ is. Can someone tell me?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Wallrod posted:

I don't think the game actually tells you anywhere what the point or effect of building an HQ is. Can someone tell me?

As far as I know it's just a "fun" thing to build, like back in Transport Tycoon.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

They released a beta patch yesterday, just fixes some minor issues it looks like.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
I recently got a profitable rail system going and finally got used to track-laying without wasting tooooo much money, but found out that a 159 meter long train would silently go miles and miles in the wrong direction in order to turn around at some distant station because it sticks ever so slightly out of a 160 meter station, meaning it can't change to the 'exit' lane of the 2-way rail system i made. It only showed up as a problem because i'd have a head-on trains warning in spite of all of my signals and junctions being totally fine. That was a really confusing few minutes. Besides that, i wish there were a track layout sketch mode or something. It feels silly to have to use trial and error (and savegames if you don't want to waste money) to arrange remotely complicated layouts. I can afford the waste now that i'm making that industrialist dolla but it makes the already slow early stages really crawl.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

For anyone else who was going insane trying to place train stations only to find out you cant add a large building because the road is too close or until you move the whole thing, there's a workshop mod that lets you pick the size and era of the station you want to build, so you can put down a 2-track large building station from the get-go.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 11, 2020

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Wallrod posted:

I recently got a profitable rail system going and finally got used to track-laying without wasting tooooo much money, but found out that a 159 meter long train would silently go miles and miles in the wrong direction in order to turn around at some distant station because it sticks ever so slightly out of a 160 meter station, meaning it can't change to the 'exit' lane of the 2-way rail system i made. It only showed up as a problem because i'd have a head-on trains warning in spite of all of my signals and junctions being totally fine. That was a really confusing few minutes. Besides that, i wish there were a track layout sketch mode or something. It feels silly to have to use trial and error (and savegames if you don't want to waste money) to arrange remotely complicated layouts. I can afford the waste now that i'm making that industrialist dolla but it makes the already slow early stages really crawl.

Oof I've done exactly the same thing thinking my 159 meter trains would fit. Now I always (you probably do the same) add about 50-100 meters of straight unbranched track to the entrances of my stations so over length trains have room to fit and hit the switch.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I always add extra straight track in case I have to deal later with messing with merging/splitting lines, which can be frustrating on a curved track. Also if I might later want a longer station.

Mostly unrelated, I’m finding I wish you could set up alerts for things like “waiting on a clear path” and now recently, whenever planes are waiting to enter a runway.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I always add extra straight track in case I have to deal later with messing with merging/splitting lines, which can be frustrating on a curved track. Also if I might later want a longer station.

Mostly unrelated, I’m finding I wish you could set up alerts for things like “waiting on a clear path” and now recently, whenever planes are waiting to enter a runway.

You can add a second runway and planes will use one to land on and the other to take off from to make the queues to airports more manageable.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Right, but I meant it would be nice to get some sort of clue telling you when that second runway would be “needed” without staring at the airport for a few minutes.

Not that staring at the airport for a few minutes isn’t relaxing and almost mesmerizing.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSnSs87VrrM

I got a little bored

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Very cool! Upvoted.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Still waiting for someone to create OpenTTD, but with those graphics. I see that they already have the rampant inappropriate use of semaphore signals with high-speed trains down :v:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Picked this up and playing my first game from 1850 in sandbox mode, grab bag of questions:

1. What do the outbuildings that you can add to stations do? For example, "medium side building with street access for cargo stations." I thought maybe this acted as a cargo vehicle stop, but it doesn't seem to.

2. Does distance traveled affect how valuable cargo is? Say that cities A and B both want fuel, which is produced pretty close to city A, and I only have enough production of fuel to supply one city. Should I send it to A or B?

3. Should I be setting maintenance at 0% and just replacing vehicles every once in a while, or spending money on maintenance?

4. What exactly is the effect of vehicle condition? They don't seem to be actually breaking down or anything.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Bold Robot posted:

Picked this up and playing my first game from 1850 in sandbox mode, grab bag of questions:

1. What do the outbuildings that you can add to stations do? For example, "medium side building with street access for cargo stations." I thought maybe this acted as a cargo vehicle stop, but it doesn't seem to.

2. Does distance traveled affect how valuable cargo is? Say that cities A and B both want fuel, which is produced pretty close to city A, and I only have enough production of fuel to supply one city. Should I send it to A or B?

3. Should I be setting maintenance at 0% and just replacing vehicles every once in a while, or spending money on maintenance?

4. What exactly is the effect of vehicle condition? They don't seem to be actually breaking down or anything.

1. Road connections. Extra buildings can help if you’re making a hub and need the extra catchment. I’m not personally aware of other benefits.

2. I think distance is basically the only thing that determines cash. That said, early on it’s not smart to deliver more than 1-2 cities away until you have faster, powerful trains. It’s not worth it to earn 3x on a route if it takes so long for it to pay that you pay 10x train maintenance.

3. I let my vehicles rot until I was flush with cash and then did good maintenance. I don’t know if it’s efficient.

4. As far as I know, it makes emissions worse and little else.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Gonna go ahead and describe catchment because its not entirely obvious and can be one of the bigger TF stumbling points and those station attachments can do a lot to game it.

Passengers you can obviously watch walk from the destination to the station or back, but invisible bundles of cargo are doing it too. When you place a station, or the street connection station pieces, you can see little path tendrils extend from the station/building to the road. These are used to link the path nodes of station to destination. Catchment is based on a certain path distance, so if you have a big station and connect to the road in strategic spots with a custom station design you can expand your catchment in a big way.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Thanks, all super useful info. In terms of the prices paid for goods delivered, is it just based on distance, or are finished goods more valuable? For example, all else being equal, do I get more money from delivering crude oil to a refinery, or from delivering finished fuel to a city?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Bold Robot posted:

Thanks, all super useful info. In terms of the prices paid for goods delivered, is it just based on distance, or are finished goods more valuable? For example, all else being equal, do I get more money from delivering crude oil to a refinery, or from delivering finished fuel to a city?

The way TF works is that you always want to deliver to an end consumer. Unlike most railroad games which pay you from point to point TF wants a start and a final place.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Not for payment purposes. You get paid whenever you drop something off.

You do need at least partially satisfied demand (e.g. at least one truck delivering food to Hungryville) one step down the production chain in order for a factory to produce anything.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Not for payment purposes. You get paid whenever you drop something off.

You do need at least partially satisfied demand (e.g. at least one truck delivering food to Hungryville) one step down the production chain in order for a factory to produce anything.

Yes thanks for the clarification, that’s what I meant.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Are we still posting gnarly junctions?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Entropist posted:

Still waiting for someone to create OpenTTD, but with those graphics. I see that they already have the rampant inappropriate use of semaphore signals with high-speed trains down :v:

That's practically Mashinky, honestly; TF2 is a bit prettier and has more trains (since Mashinky is still unfinished) but it's in the same ballpark.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

Fishstick posted:

What about road junctions?

This is the result of turning up the values of a town that was not growing enough for my liking..

I whacked them up to the max using sandbox mode. Cue non-stop traffic as thousands of new agents emerge from the continually growing city, as well as loads more from the surrounding cities coming in. Took an entire weekend to fix the traffic.. not sure if it was worth it or not.. but I went back for more by adding a new town in the gap Washington wasn't growing into, and obviously this being in such close proximity grew to 1200 pop on it's own very quickly... so tons more traffic, as well as fixing other intersections on cities around these. Bloody mentals.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Fishstick posted:

Minus style points for the second train depot on the left.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Why won't the tool factory produce tools? The truck stop in the city is connected to a commercial district that wants tools.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Do you have a line going from the factory truck stop to the city cargo stop?
Do you have at least one truck on that line?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Do you have a line going from the factory truck stop to the city cargo stop?
Do you have at least one truck on that line?

And have you verified that the truck going to the city is able to carry tools, and that the city stop does have coverage of the houses that accept tools?

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Mayveena posted:

Why won't the tool factory produce tools? The truck stop in the city is connected to a commercial district that wants tools.

Can you show us the details on the line moving tools to the city?

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

Mayveena posted:

Are you supplying the factory with planks too?

Can you ensure the station by the factory is in range of it? It looks like you’d station is behind the factory, it might connect cos the game creates little paths between stations and buildings but just in case?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

nielsm posted:

And have you verified that the truck going to the city is able to carry tools,
I would guess that’s it. It looks like there is a line with trucks on it, the city station is in a good spot, and the tool factory has planks in storage so the factory truck stop seems to be connected.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Minus style points for the second train depot on the left.

Tried to make it so no single turn is under 200km/h

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Fishstick posted:

Tried to make it so no single turn is under 200km/h

That's a nice intersection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Fishstick posted: