Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
No further reason to up the vaccine dosage. Tell your doc.

(I secretly agree with you)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Ok there are three OTTD servers up and running here, PM me directly if it gets all hosed up and I need to restart it or whatever. I'l leave it to someone else to organize running a game(s) there.

openttd1.treeoctop.us:32768
openttd2.treeoctop.us:32769
openttd3.treeoctop.us:32770

NOTE: you need to download an OLDER version, 1.5.3 (dec 2015) not the latest version (1.6.1 - july 2016). Find it here:

http://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/games/openttd/binaries/releases/1.5.3/index.html

Direct link to the windows installer: http://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/games/openttd/binaries/releases/1.5.3/openttd-1.5.3-windows-win64.exe

Quoting for new page

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Gibbo posted:

Something else that from what I can remember right now, only Rt3 had and resulted in my immediately stopping playing of railroads!! The ability to transfer a train car from one train to another for more complicated routes. Trains are effective at cargo movement in real life because they aren't required to be point to point. That poo poo pisses me off to no end. (I may have grown up in a rail and logging town)

Goods operations being independent locomotives moving around and picking up cars and trains of cars would be awesome. Problem may just be that it requires a gigantic amount of micromanagement to get working well. I think you'd effectively have to have a co-op multiplayer game, where players have separate roles. One may be managing overall scheduling on the network, one may be managing switching operations on one or a few yards, one may be working on infrastructure development, etc.
It would be a massive task to develop, and I think easily get tedious to actually play.

A thing that may be less involving but more realistic, would be intermodal transport operation, i.e. basically simulating actual containers moving around. You could also support piggyback train cars that way, with trucks picking up a couple trailerloads of mixed goods from industries, moving them to a common rail yard, where the full trailers get loaded onto train cars.
As a bonus, if you have intermodal transport like that, you will also want to have to manage return of empty containers and trailers!

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Have you played RT3?

Although I did misrepresent it a little bit.

Say there's a factory wanting wood at point c, wood comes from point a.

In railroads and many other games, you have no choice but to build a line from a to c. Whether this is straight or goes through point b is up to you.

In RRT3, you can set a train to go from point a to point b, and then remove wood from the cargo manifold. This will drop all the wood at b and give you a smaller portion of money (since you transported the wood a distance but not as far and not to a desired destination). I imagine this part as "dropping a car off and putting it in another train" even though that's not how it's actually processed(doing it by car would actually be a nightmare).

This let's you do a number of things. Say it is early game and there is no actual railroad out to the factory. In the rrt3 engine it will make its way there by road/river/donkey anyhow. Or say there is a competitor line, the Ai would likely pack it up and ship it up to the factory for their own profit. Why would you want to allow them profit? Because you did the math and figured that renting track use rights for those 120km wouldn't be worth it and instead purchased that factory. When it receives wood it's churning out furniture, increasing your stock value, placing a higher value good back on the map, and then the furniture Will migrate back down to point b (either by natural means or competing company). You can then allow them track use rights, or deny them, pick up the furniture, and ship it off to the growing town of groenigan, picking up a supply of beer and meat on the way. Either way, you can eventually buy out that opposing company and take over all their track and toss the fat rear end in a top hat with the moustache who used to own it to the curb

It sounds complicated but this system already exists in a game that is almost fifteen years old.

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Aug 21, 2016

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Ah well, offloading cargo at a transit station is something original Transport Tycoon (not even Deluxe) also does. The "Unload" order will force cargo to get unloaded even if nothing accepts it, it then sits on the station as "178 tonnes of wood (en-route from Bridgeton Woods)" and can get picked up by another train later. However the earnings calculation of this was kinda broken.
TTDPatch improved on the earnings calculation later on, and that has also been ported to OTTD.

I believe Train Fever also does that?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Even if train fever had that the market simulation was loving laughable at best.
And it had a ton of other problems that made it not enjoyable.

The point is its a simple concept that should not be lacking from any sort of transport game, but all too frequently is.

All I can do at this point is wait until it comes out, try it, and hope it's good. And if not I reinstall rrt3, play however many hours I need to scratch the itch, and forget about it again until someone starts talking about another transport/economy game

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Aug 21, 2016

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I couldn't get over how in Train Fever there were no road vehicles. There were road-themed trains. A faster bus couldn't overtake a slower bus, forever being stuck behind it going slow.
For all intents and purposed the road vehicles were on rails.

I could not deal with it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO_jzaDbYVo

Bit of info about the campaign.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Bit of info about the campaign.

I was watching this at work earlier and had to stifle a laugh when the first word out of the North American campaign's narrator was AMERICA! and without even taking a breath just launches into the rest of the sentence.

I'm usually more interested in the endless or sandbox modes in games like this but the scenarios look interesting enough that I'll probably give them a shot at first. If nothing else they'll act like extended tutorials.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Holy poo poo those AMERICA voice overs. I love german's ideas about AMERICA.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
No real news since the preview of the campaign mode (holy poo poo the discussion on that went down hill fast) but in today's update they mentioned that they're going to be announcing the release date next Wednesday. People are currently guessing it'll be later this month or early next but I guess we'll find out in due time.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
It is now official that the game will come out roughly 1 month from now, on November 8th. To go along with this announcement they also have a gameplay video that shows some of the freeplay game which is below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORyvsoKiaE0
He seems to show off at least 1 instance of every method of transport and shows off both passengers and freight switching methods of transport as they travel towards their destinations so it looks like you can build fairly robust networks. A shift I noticed from Train Fever (and even games like OTTD) is when he built the first freight line he just put together a longer, mixed freight train and assigned it to go between various points to grab whatever was there and deliver it, rather than just buying a specific train to suit a specific need. That's much more reminiscent of games like Railroad Tycoon.

The game isn't available for purchase on Steam but should be shorty, you can also purchase it from other outlets but if you own Train Fever and pre-order the game (from Steam at least) you'll get upwards of 25% knocked off the price of the game. Not a bad deal.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

They finally added catchment areas, so a lot less guesswork. :toot:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Poil posted:

They finally added catchment areas, so a lot less guesswork. :toot:

Yep it looks like cargo just teleports onto nearby stations now too, no more invisible wheelbarrows.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

gently caress yes secondary treet connections for train stations

Also, preorder page is up on Steam

http://store.steampowered.com/app/446800/

EDIT: Steam discount for Train Fever owners is 25%

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 13, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This is a good wideo, I'm excited about this.
I really like that we can build a entrance to stations on both sides.

drat I don't normally pre-order but gently caress it I just want to support these very politely enthusiastic Germans.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 13, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Train Fever is on sale for $6 on steam. If you own it you get a 15% discount on Transport Fever (which stacks with the 10% off preorder discount) which comes out to about $5.25, so if you plan on getting Transport Fever and want to pick up Train Fever for less than a buck, there you go.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I've been playing Train Fever a bit in anticipation of Transport Fever and there are some things I really hope they changed for the better:

Upgrading roads. This system is just so buggy, even upgrading country roads is a chore whenever there is a crossing. And if you build train tracks over a road you will never be able to upgrade that road piece unless you first delete the tracks. You can not build roads over tracks, only tracks over roads. Upgrading roads inside cities is even worse, sometimes you can't upgrade a road to the biggest street + bus-lane, you have to first upgrade it to a small street with bus-lane, then you can upgrade it to the large street even though it said that there wasn't enough space to place a large street to begin with.

Replacing Vehicles. Upgrading all the vehicles is hell, it is 6 mouse clicks per route to upgrade them from the route view and I usually have at least 6 routes per city. I really hope they implemented something like "upgrade all buses", "upgrade all passenger trains".

Movement of trucks. Someone mentioned that the vehicles move like trains, they can't overtake each other for example. But they also block each other constantly, once you unlock semi-trucks you have to re-build all freight routes since they create huge gridlocks even using a small amount of semis. The semis are also too large for even the largest freight station, they block each other on the way in and 4 waiting trucks can create a gridlock depending on how they enter/exit the station.

Late game traffic hell. Around 1970 the car traffic inside cities reach ludicrous levels, I've seen cities where every single street was 100% filled with passenger cars creating a city-wide gridlock, tanking income from buses and trains. Coupled with the sky-high running costs for late-game trains this can tank even the healthiest of economies.

Late game performance issues. Might not be related to late game but just a large amount of vehicles, the fact that every single vehicle pops-up a running-costs number every month probable has something to do with this, the game lags very much when this happens. I have a new, fast, computer and even this one grinds to a halt every month on a large map where I have only built in 6 cities so far.

Rail bridges, ever tried building a bridge over a road, pretty simple right? Bridge pillar collision. The bridge pillars are weird, they collide with everything even though they visually don't, and it is impossible to build a bridge over more than 1 track since the pillars are so close together. It is also impossible to build a 2-lane railroad bridge over a road

Rail crossings. If you want to cross 2 rail lines you are in for a nightmare unless you build some sort of kludged together level crossing with lots of signals. I would like to be able to build some sort of transport tycoon crossings where you can build mainlines that branch out instead of having to build lots of separate lines that only come together at stations.

I've seen some videos where they show off new stuff, for example the fact that you will be able to build over buildings and roads inside cities and being able to delete main road connections without first building a new road. Has anyone seen anything else about some of the other problems?

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Oct 18, 2016

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
That's a pretty comprehensive list of my train fever complaints, I'd say most of those were directly demonstrated to have been overcome in the gameplay video, and the rest were at least implied to be improved too. I was pretty disappointed by train fever when it came out, but I'm going to pre-order anyway because they did give it good support and have demonstrated considerable improvements in videos (auto spacing of buses, taking into account traffic jams, holy poo poo if that works I'd pay for that alone) and also because the devs are so delightfully German and earnest I can't help but like them.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I'm phone posting and can't scour the game's website for the updates but if you do go over the dev diaries that have been posted over the past several weeks you'll see that there have been a number of improvements with road and rail construction; in particular with the rules being a lot more flexible as to what can and cannot be attached, crossed or upgraded. You can now build tracks that cross without connecting and bridges appear to adjust th what they're being built over so you have a lot more flexibility. Over all the sustem looks way more user friendly. That was one of my major gripes about the game as well.

Don't have much more detail on certian gameplay aspects (such as traffic and running costs) outside of what we've already seen in videos but I do know they've reworked the way cities grow, the 'destination' system for people and goods, and that you can now manually adjust time so that days can be longer or shorter so I suspect there has been a ton of things reworked since we last saw them in Train Fever. One thing I don't think jas been addressed is the ability to keep trans running on the same line a certain distance apart. One of the main issues with using the trunk and branch line approach is that things always got tied up somewhere along the way and eventually you'd see things like one train being overcrowded and then one right behind it being empty which could be costing you millions and killing your time intervals, which would in turn severely limit the utilization of the route, costing you more money. Guess some babysitting will still be required there.

I enjoyed Train Fever for what it was, flaws and all, but am really glat to see the devs kept at it and refined things further. I hope they keep up the same level of support here as well...

gman14msu
Mar 10, 2009
So whats the best move for pre-ordering this? Steam seems to have 25% off, is that factoring in that I already have train fever?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yes, you get an extra bonus discount for owning Train Fever.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Yay! I preordered. Going to be 'sperging trains, planes and automobiles on Election Day.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I'm glad I'll get to play this for a few hours before the era of Emperor Trump is ushered in by a bright flash and the survivors have to live in a world without working electronics.

In all seriousness though I've tried tracking down a few of the pre-release streams and in the few that aren't being played by someone who is mind-numbingly stupid the game does look pretty solid, can't wait to give it a shot myself.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Not many days until release, but it looks like embargo on gameplay videos etc. has been lifted.

This guy seems to know what he's doing, for one :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTGHOX4932k

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

nielsm posted:

This guy seems to know what he's doing, for one :)

He sure lives up to his name at times!

I liked this guy too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52pRP3HAkSw

Preordered it for 10% discount. Hope it can be tuned down to run ok on my laptop for evening empire building over the holidays. Has anyone tried Train Fever on a mid-spec laptop?

i5 3337U, 4 GB RAM, AMD HD 8500M (and Intel HD4000, for some reason...)

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Train Fever ran pretty well on my desktop which was low-mid tier at the time (i7-920 and a GTX295) and fairly comparable to your system, although in terms of pure processing power slightly more powerful. I'd imagine you should be able to run it at 60fps at at least some settings.

The only big issue was late-game slow-down, but I think I heard they fixed that or at least made it better?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nice! I don't mind turning down the graphics, but since every little person is calculated, it might very well slow it down when it grows big. We'll cross that bridge etc. It's a very long time since I played Railroad or Transport Tycoon, one thing that strikes me with the early access guys on youtube is that they hardly ever try to set up return loads , particularly with cargo trucks where that might be easier to set up. It is staring them in the face after all, given that passenger trains make the most money and they carry loads both ways. Is that a common strategy in Train Fever?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

As far as I know, Train Fever was generally limited by CPU, not so much GPU. It ran well enough on my old Core 2 Quad 2.4 GHz, modulo the general lack of optimization and general poor performance in late game. So definitely no need to worry.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Trying to get an 11th hour game of Train Fever going, since I only recently purchased it and haven't played it as extensively. I forgot that upgrading stations wasn't a thing, and in my infinite wisdom, I built this:

The original plan was to keep going off to the left, but then I realized there was another city to the (north in this facing). So, even with the original plan, this single tracked terminus was a bad idea. Really sucks, because I was starting to pull in really decent cash in this game with just the one line. It's not unfixable, but boy is it annoying.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
FYI, last day for the pre-order discounts if you are interested in getting this at launch.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ohhhh poo poo this is coming out tomorrow. I forgot all about it.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
No midnight rollout in Europe :(

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Any idea when exactly it's coming out? Will I enjoy it tomorrow morning in north america, or later in the day?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

FYI, last day for the pre-order discounts if you are interested in getting this at launch.

There seems to be a lot of rumours going around at the moment regarding the exact time the game is being released but it now sounds like sometime around 2am ET is when the game is coming out, for whatever reason. That's not that odd considering the developers are in Germany and that would be about 8am there but the pre-order discount is on until about 3pm ET tomorrow giving you a good 12 hours to pre-order the game after it has already come out.

Will have to wait and see what's happened tomorrow morning. Not that I'm going to get a chance to play until later in the evening anyway.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Baronjutter posted:

Any idea when exactly it's coming out? Will I enjoy it tomorrow morning in north america, or later in the day?

Probably the usual 10am PST release time of most steam games. Or, after reading the above post, who knows!

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

the developers are in GermanySwitzerland

ftfy

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Explains why the first Europe scenario is building the Gotthard tunnel. :v:

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Supposedly it will be released today at 09:00 CET, which means in 30 minutes.

I watched some streams and from what I can tell cars still don't pass each other on the road (saw a truck stuck behind a horse carriage on a long, straight, road) and the vehicle upgrade system is exactly the same as before, which was extremely bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Installing. 9.5GB, jeez