Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Is this saying I should deliver passengers to Chula Vista?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It says people are already traveling there by themselves. Whether you can be successful moving passengers between the two is beyond me, one thing I’ve never been able to “get” is whether intercity passenger service lines will end up successful or not. I can’t find a pattern.

Speaking of that, what do you guys do if you have, for example, a train line between cities A and B, and you consistently have 100 people going to B but only 20 going to A?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh hey there's a thread for this game. I'm still pretty bad at it, in my current game I was earning a pretty good profit on trucks/buses alone and tried to set up a train line A-B between two cities and it pretty much tanked my earnings so I sold the trains for now until I can figure out how to make it affordable. I started with a first generation Bullet Train which was WAY overkill so I downgraded to one of the diesel trains and was losing less but it still wasn't profitable so I got rid of it entirely.

Is there a way to see overall how profitable a vehicle/route is? I know you can see the details in the tabs that show how much profit they're making but I feel like the number fluctuates so much every time a delivery is made so it could be -$1m and then a delivery gets made and now it's profitable if I check at that moment. Does that happen less as the lines get older because there's more data to average out? I usually just go by the chart that shows profit/expenses to decide if I'm loving up or not.

Old Woman Island
Feb 21, 2011

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It says people are already traveling there by themselves. Whether you can be successful moving passengers between the two is beyond me, one thing I’ve never been able to “get” is whether intercity passenger service lines will end up successful or not. I can’t find a pattern.

Speaking of that, what do you guys do if you have, for example, a train line between cities A and B, and you consistently have 100 people going to B but only 20 going to A?

I might be blending tf1 in here also but I would improve public transport in A and make sure I'm getting them whatever goods they needed so that there are jobs or goods worth traveling for. I guess this is linked to destinations in TF2 but I've never really used the overlay or looked too deeply into it.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Womp posted:

I might be blending tf1 in here also but I would improve public transport in A and make sure I'm getting them whatever goods they needed so that there are jobs or goods worth traveling for. I guess this is linked to destinations in TF2 but I've never really used the overlay or looked too deeply into it.

You pretty much require decent public transit to move people to the train station to profit from passenger rail imo. I know clockwise and counter-clockwise bus setups are all the rage but I've had some good results just widening two perpendicular streets and running bus lines down those, then a shuttle from the closest stop to the station. Seems more scalable to me.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm still not convinced on running counter clockwise buses alongside your usual buses, tbh. It doesn't seem to increase the amount of people using the line by a significant amount. Certainly not enough for me to bother actually setting that up.

Old Woman Island
Feb 21, 2011

I have seen that if you dump a whole bunch of new vehicles on a route, some will go in reverse automatically

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Can’t you easily set up clockwise and counterclockwise by setting the stations as ABCDADCBA and putting all of the vehicles on that route? Or no?

What exactly is the difference between difficultly levels in this game? There’s surprisingly little documentation out there. I’ve played a couple 1850 starts on easy at this point and I feel like I’ve “won” by about 1900 both times. Is medium that much harder such that it would extend the game?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I just started a new game on Easy, Large 2:1 map, with city and industry counts low, in 1910. It's stupidly easy to rake in money yes. I just started hooking up primary industries to secondary industries, not moving any goods to cities or between secondary industries, or any passengers at all. Current earnings $38M and I'm not done getting first-tier secondaries to have production.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

nielsm posted:

I just started a new game on Easy, Large 2:1 map, with city and industry counts low, in 1910. It's stupidly easy to rake in money yes. I just started hooking up primary industries to secondary industries, not moving any goods to cities or between secondary industries, or any passengers at all. Current earnings $38M and I'm not done getting first-tier secondaries to have production.

What does 2:1 do for the map?

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

It's basically the aspect ratio for a map. 1:1 is square, 1:2 is twice as long as it is wide, and so on.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'm getting better at building flyovers that don't look terrible.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Looks like they pushed out a stability patch today. They mention working on performance optimization as well, I really hope they figure out what makes this game chug so bad. The game shouldn't freeze for 5 or more seconds when highlighting a big section of road to upgrade.

I think I'm almost at capacity on my Medium map and might start over soon, I'm earning probably 97% of my income via truck routes but do like gradually figuring stuff out throughout the course of a long game like this one. I only recently realized the benefit of making long depots with more stops instead of 'tall' depots and sending each line to their own stop to prevent clogging. Also making roads out of depots and effectively using waypoints to move traffic around without making a ton of bottlenecks. I also have a pretty decent highway system that I'm pretty proud of but still haven't really been able to generate enough revenue to make a lot of train systems. I have a few one track back and forth systems bringing goods to factories and one passenger train but the passenger train in particular loses so much money that I'm only still able to make a profit off the back of everything else I have going. I guess the idea is that the passenger trains probably won't generate a ton of revenue but will be good for upgrading cities?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I find when a passenger train line isn’t making money (eventually, it takes a while to ramp up), it’s usually because either a city's commuter loop isn’t pushing people to the station fast enough, or more commonly, because the train is too big or slow.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I’ve found for passenger trains that I much like to undersize them and then add cars as it fills up. You don’t even have to send it to the depot to do it.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Does the number of connections that an object has to the nearby road matter? Like the little shaded blue areas that come up when you are placing a building. If I'm putting a cargo station near an industry and it's got 3 little connections to the road vs. 1, will there be higher throughput?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

No the connections should only matter for catchment area.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I’ve been too lazy to test it, does the connecting road max speed affect catchment areas, or is it just distance?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
It does, and by quite a lot.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Current attempt at a central distribution station:

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
I really wish they had gone more all-in with modular stations so you could make them with platforms at right angles and have more freedom with the street access and such, or add truck terminals as part of the station building

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Fishstick posted:

I really wish they had gone more all-in with modular stations so you could make them with platforms at right angles and have more freedom with the street access and such, or add truck terminals as part of the station building

I'm actually enjoying the existing modularity a fair amount

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Agree, I'm overall satisfied with the modularity. I think the only thing I'm missing is a way to start with an "empty" station (e.g. only a small station building) and build out from that, and that can probably be added with a mod.
Otherwise my only real complaint is the slowness when adding multiple pieces, it seems the game wants to update a huge amount of data for every piece plopped. I wish it could pause everything including updates while building a station, so you'd add all the pieces you need and only then have the game update the surrounding world.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Curved sections, that's what's missing.

And yes there is a mod for blank stations, and at least one guy is working on curved stations so fingers crossed.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Being able to build tracks at a 90 degree angle so you can have a terminus from two directions would be grand. You can just build two stations in the same catchment, but it’s not quite the same aesthetically imo.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

What's the best way to distribute goods to multiple stops in a city? I wanted to do a "drop 50% here, 50% at the next stop" type thing but you can only control how much you pick up, not drop off. Do I need to make a separate A-B line for each stop I want to deliver to?

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
Youre basically only able to say you want to drop said goods off at a specific stop, not how many, afaik. The game kinda balances that out itself as per needs of each zone.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is it possible to chain catchment zones together? Like say I have industry A, truck stop B, and cargo station C. A and C are both in B's catchment area, but A is not in C's catchment area. Will goods flow from A directly to C by way of B?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I don't think so. Goods only seem to arrive in a station if there is a line to take them somewhere, which in this example there isn't.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Being able to build tracks at a 90 degree angle so you can have a terminus from two directions would be grand. You can just build two stations in the same catchment, but it’s not quite the same aesthetically imo.

Yeah that's the kind of stuff I wanted to see more of. Or build truck / bus stations directly as part of the train station, or adding a train station terminal directly on a dock or adding a higher speed passthrough to a truck terminal. Stuff like that. Truck stations in particular right now are a pain imo to get looking decently, especially trying to connect street access points properly to a road without it going all wonky. These are small issues and it all works fine, I just wish it had a little more.

TBF I probably spend too much time fiddling at stations, but at some point you have so much income so why not

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 26, 2020

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Those look awesome. I'm finding out late game that effectively setting up depots to avoid traffic jams makes a huge difference so I'm in the process of re-doing almost all of mine now that I have a general idea of how to do it. They'll never look like this though :ohdear:

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Fishstick posted:

TBF I probably spend too much time fiddling at stations, but at some point you have so much income so why not

These look amazing and put my stations to shame

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

top of my wishlist for stations is elevated/underground modules crossing over/under surface modules or other elevated/underground modules (e.g. Philadelphia 30th Street Station)

Made this terminal in a very mountainous map

Also, people wondered why I put 64GB of RAM in my system.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is there any easy way to set up a track system that allows faster trains to pass slower trains? My main trunk line is 4 tracks, 2 for the fast passenger trains and 2 for slower freight trains. But now I’ve got some freight trains running Big Boys at 120km/h and others running Mikados at 80km/h. It’s not a huge deal but sometimes I see one of the former get caught behind the latter.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Trains always run on the track their line shows, never on any other track. Use waypoints on the lines' route so they pick the correct fast/slow track. And don't mix fast/slow trains on the same line.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You can fake sidings by giving the slower trains waypoints on a siding.

You may notice the obvious drawbacks: it always uses a siding and takes the speed hit to turn (or the siding is giant to avoid a massive slowdown), you need to set a waypoint on every siding on every line, if you have two slow trains followed by a fast train the fast train probably won't even pass the slow trains without very careful spacing design etc. Etc.

So usually don't mix fast and slow. Your backbones will be 4 tracks wide, one fast and one slow in each direction. Unless you have some really messy junctions this is usually one waypoint to keep them on the right track.

E. I reread you're already on the 4 wide, so the last step is always use the same speed, same acceleration character on a shared line or live with the slowest.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 27, 2020

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm still having some trouble finding out which routes are profitable without having to click into each line manually and go to the charts tab to make sure the income exceeds the expenditures. The "Balance" figure in the info panel fluctuates wildly depending on when I'm looking at that line so it's never a great way to tell at a glance if something is making or losing money. Maybe there is a way and I'm not getting it or haven't found it but I would like for that information to be more readily available so I know if I have to fiddle with any lines to reduce expenditures.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

explosivo posted:

I'm still having some trouble finding out which routes are profitable without having to click into each line manually and go to the charts tab to make sure the income exceeds the expenditures. The "Balance" figure in the info panel fluctuates wildly depending on when I'm looking at that line so it's never a great way to tell at a glance if something is making or losing money. Maybe there is a way and I'm not getting it or haven't found it but I would like for that information to be more readily available so I know if I have to fiddle with any lines to reduce expenditures.

Speed up the game for a bit and you can see which ones are always up top. Annoying but it sorta works.

the balance stat is a weird change - it especially doesn’t help when time isn’t measured with some standard tick system so the charts fluctuate wildly between decades cos you paused the date timer a while.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

How do you guys handle naming all your lines?

Mine look like this:
Line type City name Number

TRAM Atlanta 1
TRAM Atlanta 2

BUS New York 1

(Express is point to point passenger line)

Express NYC to ATL

IronOre SanFran 1

etc etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Passenger trains depend on the type of service/length of platforms (eg, that station I posted above, A for 320m, B for 240, C for 160, etc.)

Trams and buses are usually <3 letter code for city>T/B<number>

Passenger ships are just F<number>

Passenger planes are P<number>

Freight lines are just <product> Train/Truck/Ship <number>

Freight planes are "WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY"