Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Dan7el posted:

Not sure I understand what's going on at this point.

First off, it's quite apparent that even though Subaru saved Emilia, he's still highly suspect among the people she lives with -- except for the library guardian. Also, apparently Subaru "smells" like some witch that everyone either hates or fears. From this episode, it appears Subaru and said witch are linked. It's very likely she's the one that brought Subaru to this world and is giving him the "reset" ability. Said witch is quite powerful and also keeping Subaru from spilling the beans on his resets.

But, that's about all I can tell. I don't quite understand what Subaru decided to do (obviously, he's committing suicide to reset but why?) at the end of this episode or how his decision is going to do whatever he expects it to do. I don't see how he can gain their trust. Seems like a lost cause to me.

The reasonable thing to do would be to ask for a few gold coins (and some silver and copper too, while your'e at it) from the head of the household as a reward and skeedaddle out of there and find a job somewhere far, far away from these crazies.

This episode, he determined what the "bad end" looks like if he does nothing, which he finds completely unacceptable. He resets because he legit wants to change it, which is one of the first big, thoughtful decisions he's made the entire show. At this point, he probably has enough information about the various social forces in play that he can at the very least start trying to make things better. He's not going to do something so self-serving as just running away now, since he now knows what happens if he's not the one who gets hit by the curse. Choosing to do this is actually a big character development moment for him, which the show literally calls out by having him monologue about it, because now he has something that he wants to do besides just date Emilia and peel vegetables.

I'm really glad they explicitly shot down the "why doesn't he tell someone and get help" thread, and I'm really glad that Subaru had a mental breakdown under the strain. The writing is getting good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Please mercy-kill the protagonist. I don't want any of that to have happened. :(

(Subaru can keep his grim realizations.)

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

If there were an episode that would make me want to binge-read the WN this would be it.

must... stay... strong...

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

There is no English source of the WN, since the LN has been licensed and the group that was translating the WN pulled everything before they got C&D'd. Better learn Japanese or suck up Google Translate, unfortunately.

Or be patient.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I'm actually not convinced that Subaru actually was pretending. Our only word on that was from a literal madman who was screaming about how true madness isn't quiet, or something like that. Hell, he literally sat there unreacting while his eyeball was licked, while the cultists were literally talking about killing his friends, and Rem while gruesomely murdered in front of him, and then when he finally started moving he went to straight-up screaming "I'LL KILL YOU" over and over and over, pulling against his restraints until his arms bled, only stopping when Rem dragged her broken corpse over to him and cut his manacles off.

Dude acted like he was in the middle of a mental breakdown. I think that Betelgeuse was just disappointed that Subaru wasn't the same kind of crazy that he was.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Deliciouscesium posted:

Wow. I was recommending this show to friends after seeing the previous episode. After watching the current episode, I need to spend more time learning how to read Japanese. I never expected this show to turn out this good.

If you've got the grammar down but are lacking kanji and vocabulary knowledge, look into Rikai-Kun/Rikai-Chan/Safarikai, which are browser plugins that do J-E dictionary lookup on mouseover. It's not perfect (it has issues with some verb conjugations and it often shows obscure or obsolete terms on top) but it'll get you started until you start learning the kanji for "angel", "magic", "fairy", and "disembowel".

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Conspiratiorist posted:

異世界はスマートフォンとともに (Isekai wa Smartphone to Tomoni)
In a Different World with a Smartphone

"Dense Male Lead", "Protagonist Strong from the Start", and "Polygamy" are some of the tags on NovelUpdates.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Some people confuse the brief moments of a protagonist not being 100% perfectly on top of things (that are only there to provide a tiny bit of narrative tension before they solve everything) as weakness. After all, only weak people ever face any sort of adversity ever, right?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Could someone please remind me who the guy at the end that Subaru doesn't like is? I was cringing too hard during the entire Subaru-makes-an-rear end-of-himself-in-front-of-an-entire-nation episode to remember anyone that hasn't been reintroduced since then.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I like how Betelgeuse kept saying "the gospel is delivered to those who are worthy" and Subaru just kinda takes the gospel that has been delivered into his hands by Betelgeuse('s corpse). Nothing he said states that the gospel gets delivered by a person. Fate is a pretty good parcel service.

Why was Betelguese 2.0 surprised that she didn't have a copy of the gospel? If the lower-ranking cultists don't get them (and OG Betelguese just copied himself into a new clone body then that implies that those books are way more special than just random religious texts. (Or that there's no printing presses.) Based on the "you're not mentioned in here" comment, are they maybe predictive of the future? God drat do I want to know more, pity we're not going to get the answers this season.

Gonna be pissed if this falls into the same limbo that A Certain Magical Index and Log Horizon fell into, although if arc four's LN isn't even out then I guess my hopes aren't very high to begin with.

(also ram you better not murder barusu in the middle of his best runthrough to date, dude has enough to worry about without having to figure out why he gets wordlessly chopped in half by a time-stopping demon)

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Can you think of a better way to actually wake a heavy sleeper?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Oh poo poo, what if the time loop thing is explicitly a ploy by the Witch to make sure events happen exactly as they're needed in order to make Emilia the perfect vessel? If the gospel is prophetic, there could be a bunch of time-traveling puppetmastery going on in the background.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Since all of the novel readers keep complaining about all of the foreshadowing and context they cut from the anime, what did they cut? (Maybe don't put the resolution in the spoilers, though.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Aren't the translations really poo poo and barely even phoned-in, though? I recall hearing that they contained phrases like "and then Subaru Subarus around for a while".

• Locked thread