Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

nielsm posted:

But what happens to the rest of the world when Subaru dies?

Also, this Emilia is far better than the other Emilia this season.

I always ask myself that whenever there's time loop stories.

I can only think of one anime that actually answered that question - the Higurashi series, which actually shows each and every time loop continues on to be its own world, where almost the entire city died and the few survivors are horribly broken and traumatized, which kinda makes the whole concept a lot more nightmarish

Screw that. I want a story with somebody on the receiving end of a time loop. Events repeat over and over, and someone realizes this and tries to escape, but they just can't because they aren't the one controlling the loop. So the entire story is basically them desparately trying to stop someone, who can just reset and undo everything on a whim. So they gotta trick the "hero" or something while falling into despair from being inevitably outmaneuvered by what might as well be a god.

Coincidentally, I really really really really really like Endless Eight and Another One Bites The Dust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Kytrarewn posted:

Didn't Monogatari S2 do the "receiving end of a time loop" thing in one of its arcs?

I don't think so? Not sure. The only arc that I can think of coming close is the one where they travel back in time to save snail girl from her own death, inadvertently causing the zombie apocalypse in their own present, but I don't think there was a time loop involved? I don't know, there's roughly a billion -monogatari episodes out there...

Cobalt Zeroni posted:

Undertale does something like this on its darker paths, although the player's not controlling the person on the recieving end.

This is a perfect example, though (assuming you're talking about Sans. I was actually thinking of Undertale too, albeit with a much smaller time loop: the fight against Flowey, where he literally reverts to his own savestates constantly to gently caress you over.

Tamba posted:

But Higurashi already does that...from Rika's point of view

Not quite - after all, Rika's death is always what triggers the time jump, even if technically it's not her doing it... She's not a "victim" of someone else resetting time, she WANTS to reset time until she gets it right.

Still, this seems like an aspect of time travel stories that doesn't get covered a lot. Timejumping either destroys entire universes, or it leaves a shitload of "failed" timelines in its wake. I mean, destroying the universes you jump away from doesn't seem THAT bad if there's only one version of everyone anyway, but the failed timelines? Just imagine the countless worlds where Bill Murray committed suicide for no apparent reason, and these worlds just continue. :stare: An infinite array of Murrays, hosed over because some other Murray's tired consciousness happened to crash into their timeline. Kinda makes the eventual good ending in these stories terrifying when you realize how many failures it's build upon.
I guess the Zero Escape series counts as anime, if we're looking for timejumping shenanigans taken much further than usual?

What I'm saying is, we need Primer as anime.
Don't even start with Steins;Gate, I'm not a fan

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Whelp. Not much going on this episode. I don't really like the maids - they seem awfully generic so far -, but their attitude is funny enough. Main protagonists is fun, too. I like that he's clearly fallen for Emilia and actually makes an effort to get closer, instead of being a whiny passive chick magnet. So far.

Grausherra posted:

:siren:LN/WN Spoilers:siren:
It is revealed to him later that the world keeps on going despite him dying, meaning that when he is the only one to die there will be people sad about it

Oh dear. That's pretty horrible. I hope "failed" timelines somehow affect things anyhow later on, besides just helping the main protagonist... But who knows, might just happen, given how weird the maids acted this time around. I always like it when time loop stories reach back and have stuff that never actually happened seep through anyhow - like the final arcs of Higurashi, where they actually start dreaming of earlier loops. Makes it feel like it wasn't all futile.

By the way, I don't mind spoilers, but I don't really care enough to look them up :v:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I gotta admit, I'm kind of losing interest in the show at this point. There's clearly some thought put into the death reset premise, but with this arc, I feel like the premise alone doesn't carry it well enough any more. Which is my roundabout way of saying I dislike all the newly introduced characters and the stupid poo poo they get up to. Oh well. Maybe I'll check back later with less insufferable fellows around...? :shrug:

Gotta say, though, I got a chuckle out of "If you had let me kill you instantly, you would've died painlessly" followed by "I can't interrogate you if you die right away!".

• Locked thread