Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
This is going to be a comedy and I'm here for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
There's every chance this will end up bad-stupid instead of fun-stupid, but I'm willing to take that risk.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The worst it’s gonna be is you’re gonna see a less good movie with a monke and giant lizard. But you’re still seeing a movie with monke and giant lizard

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

CelticPredator posted:

The worst it’s gonna be is you’re gonna see a less good movie with a monke and giant lizard. But you’re still seeing a movie with monke and giant lizard

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I liked the Wingard/Yamazaki interview because they acknowledged both movies existing to cover the wide spectrum of serious to dumb showa poo poo and that's really how you have to approach them.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Szmitten posted:

I liked the Wingard/Yamazaki interview because they acknowledged both movies existing to cover the wide spectrum of serious to dumb showa poo poo and that's really how you have to approach them.

i was and remain a big apologist for GvK but nothing i've seen of the new movie looks appealing at all. it makes the monsters look small and weightless and also all the marketing i've seen is 100% laser-focused on the monster fights, so if this part is what they're proud of i dread to even think what the parts they're not showing (e.g. the human plot) is going to be like

i'm not completely giving up hope as long as Adam Wingard's attached to the project but i'm not expecting much either

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i was and remain a big apologist for GvK but nothing i've seen of the new movie looks appealing at all. it makes the monsters look small and weightless and also all the marketing i've seen is 100% laser-focused on the monster fights, so if this part is what they're proud of i dread to even think what the parts they're not showing (e.g. the human plot) is going to be like

i'm not completely giving up hope as long as Adam Wingard's attached to the project but i'm not expecting much either

The human parts of GvK were absolute dogshit.

I didn't mind MBB's character in KotM but then in GvK they paired her up with the worst loving comic relief characters, at least one of which is now taking a loving starring role in this.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
What's more majestic than King Kong! Dozens of Kongs! We gave the Kong you know a cool glove. Now let's scale up everything around them so it looks like a pack of gorillas running through some underbrush.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

PriorMarcus posted:

The human parts of GvK were absolute dogshit.

I didn't mind MBB's character in KotM but then in GvK they paired her up with the worst loving comic relief characters, at least one of which is now taking a loving starring role in this.

I am absolutely dreading any scene with him. He actively ruined GvK.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

What's more majestic than King Kong! Dozens of Kongs! We gave the Kong you know a cool glove. Now let's scale up everything around them so it looks like a pack of gorillas running through some underbrush.

An absolutely insane decision.

Also, I know power creep isn't really something to complain about in Kaiju films but the new Baby Kong is way bigger than Kong was in Skull Island and that's dumb. It wouldn't be so bad if his design wasn't incredibly ugly.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

prove me wrong

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Godzilla x Kong looks like an ideal popcorn movie to me. I'm hoping the human stuff is better than Godzilla vs Kong, but I don't have high hopes for it.

I'm also totally cool with King Kong discovering a big society of apes. It feels weirdly like he's earned it, viewing everything from Skull Island on as one big journey. He spends most of his life alone, then humans come and mess with him, then he gets a rival and eventual friend in Godzilla, and now he discovers there are other giant apes like him out there. It's cheesy as hell but I'm all for it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

CelticPredator posted:

prove me wrong

I don't just lap things up because Godzilla and/or King Kong is on the screen. So we'll see if this movie is any good.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vintersorg posted:

I don't just lap things up because Godzilla and/or King Kong is on the screen. So we'll see if this movie is any good.

oooh mr perfect over here too good for monke and lizard

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

99% of movies don’t have the luxury of having monke and lizard.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

maybe the baby was born with gigantism. or maybe kong is a dwarf

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Vintersorg posted:

I don't just lap things up because Godzilla and/or King Kong is on the screen.

That’s a you problem.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mantis42 posted:

maybe the baby was born with gigantism. or maybe kong is a dwarf

Maybe it’s maybeline

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

King Kong: the Peter Dinklage of kaiju

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

dude imagine if you were basically the largest thing around and were treated like a god for centuries and then you discover that not only are you not unique, there's a whole species of guys like you, but also you're the runt of the litter.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The twist with Baby Kong is pretty obvious from his design, right? This is just speculation but he's a baby Scar King, right?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PriorMarcus posted:

Also, I know power creep isn't really something to complain about in Kaiju films but the new Baby Kong is way bigger than Kong was in Skull Island and that's dumb. It wouldn't be so bad if his design wasn't incredibly ugly.

According to toy packaging his name is Suko and the kaiju wiki I just checked says that he's roughly 50% taller than Kong was in Skull Island

Current Kong is more than three times taller than he was in Skull Island

Edit: ah jeez that wiki pointed me to this interview with Wingard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXBAhi9LHlo&t=315s

..... where he admits that one of the major inspiration behind Skar King was Ernest Borgnine :psyduck:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Vintersorg posted:

I don't just lap things up because Godzilla and/or King Kong is on the screen.

Ha ha me neither! I definitely am like this poster, everyone!

(in all seriousness the complains of scale are very fair, and this was happening a lot in GxK and looks to have gotten even worse)

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Look if I have been ok with Godzilla teaming up with a robot to do wrestling moves on kaiju and shaking hands with him after their victory, so I'm perfectly ok with Godzilla and Kong teaming up to beat up an rear end in a top hat monke and a giant ice kaiju.

If they shake hands at the end, even better.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The modern western Godzilla movies have been awful with scale in general tbh, especially in 2014 but also in the Kong movies. I'll probably go watch this one in theaters cause the local place is pretty cheap and lets me order beer and food from my seat so I'll enjoy it either way. I'm not big on Kong's design but I like pink fin big G.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Mr E posted:

The modern western Godzilla movies have been awful with scale in general tbh, especially in 2014 but also in the Kong movies. I'll probably go watch this one in theaters cause the local place is pretty cheap and lets me order beer and food from my seat so I'll enjoy it either way. I'm not big on Kong's design but I like pink fin big G.

Baby Kong being so big makes me roll my eyes, but the real problem with scale in this film is that the Hollow Earth completes looses any sense of it and Wingard seems loving awful at showing it.

He's just not a very good Director/a good Director for Kaiju action.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dont care if the scale is wonky in 2014 if it means that we get Godzilla smashing through the golden gate bridge or towering half a kilometer tall at points.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
The new Godzilla vs Kong is going to be hilarious because a bunch of random people will see it after their friends told them Godzilla Minus One was one of last year's best films. Many will have no idea the new movie is unrelated and will no longer trust their friend's taste in film.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i don't care if the scale was accurate or whatever but the initial 2014 godzilla hawaii scene in imax was cool

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I am trying to think of a property that is good no matter the quality and nothing comes to mind.

I immediately went to Terminator but nope.

For me, maybe Rocky? I love em all even 5.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

I dont care if the scale is wonky in 2014 if it means that we get Godzilla smashing through the golden gate bridge or towering half a kilometer tall at points.

Yeah to be clear I notice the scale issues a lot in 2014 but it's not usually that big of a deal to me either if the action is still cool.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

PriorMarcus posted:

The twist with Baby Kong is pretty obvious from his design, right? This is just speculation but he's a baby Scar King, right?

Probably. Also, I saw his toy today at Walmart and he came packed with what looks suspiciously like a baby Godzilla.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Vintersorg posted:

I am trying to think of a property that is good no matter the quality and nothing comes to mind.

Mad Max. Anyone who dislikes Thunderdome os weak.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 20, 2024

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I think this movie looks like absolute crud but as long as Toho keeps the bangers coming I don't really care what Godzilla gets up to on this side of the pond

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Vintersorg posted:

Godzilla is honestly pretty close for me but there are some real low points, I can't bring myself to watch Godzilla Raids Again again

Child's Play has no misses. Even #3 is just fine.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I know Raids Again is widely disliked so it’s not a hot take to say it’s bad but I almost feel like it’s not hated enough.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

holefoods posted:

I know Raids Again is widely disliked so it’s not a hot take to say it’s bad but I almost feel like it’s not hated enough.

I love it, especially the goofy English dub version where Tsukioka never shuts up and they watch weird "science" reels

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

According to toy packaging his name is Suko and the kaiju wiki I just checked says that he's roughly 50% taller than Kong was in Skull Island

Current Kong is more than three times taller than he was in Skull Island

Edit: ah jeez that wiki pointed me to this interview with Wingard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXBAhi9LHlo&t=315s

..... where he admits that one of the major inspiration behind Skar King was Ernest Borgnine :psyduck:

Ahh so the secret to skar kings success is masturbating everyday

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I don't think this was posted, forgive me if it wasn't. Very cool "analog" short film of a Godzilla sighting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3fOjw9aLqM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shiftypenguin posted:

Probably. Also, I saw his toy today at Walmart and he came packed with what looks suspiciously like a baby Godzilla.

No that's just Doug, a small lizard-like kaiju which was on screen for about 3 seconds in GvK but somehow became a popular meme (here's an example) so they had to bring him back. Fans nicknamed him Doug and the filmmakers have now made that official.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Mar 21, 2024