Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Shard posted:

In the other movies, specifically King of the Monsters I remember them having lines about evacuations. There is no way that final fight had enough time for anyone to evacuate so that's a lot of dead humans lol. But I can actually accept that because I imagine to Godzilla he doesn't even notice humans other than like we do ants. And Kong probably understood that poo poo gotta kill this crazy monkey man before he ice ages the planet.

hands down the funniest moment in the Monsterverse films is in GvK when Godzilla stomps through the city and blows up the Apex laboratory with his atomic breath, and in the next scene there's a news chyron that says "8 dead in Godzilla attack"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Godzilla is the protector of the humans

He's the protector of the Earth

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

We need Legendary Gamera now.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Mantis42 posted:

He's the protector of the Earth

right. Godzilla could not care less about humans. The only time he cares is when he sees us with a big weapon and the moment he does he attacks like that base underwater or mechagodzilla. Lol just remember that thing was fueled by the vengeful ghost of King Ghidora.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shard posted:

right. Godzilla could not care less about humans. The only time he cares is when he sees us with a big weapon and the moment he does he attacks like that base underwater or mechagodzilla. Lol just remember that thing was fueled by the vengeful ghost of King Ghidora.

He and Brody got along okay. Just mutual understanding based on having a long, lovely day that everyone else seemed eager to make worse.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Finally finished Return of Godzilla. Nice buildup, but as soon as Godzilla appears, everything slows to a crawl. It's fine, just, mediocre.

The score is terrible though, with one exception:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbvx5I1YQ90

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

Kong is supposed to be the protector of humans, but I’m not sure why he would want to. Maybe for that universal healthcare.
He's lonely.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Legendary Godzilla is humanity's cat. Trundles out of the ocean, scratches bases off the map if he feels like it, leaves decapitated kaiju corpses every so often to remind you he's on the job.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

We need Legendary Gamera now.

Don't do our boy like that.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Failson posted:

Finally finished Return of Godzilla. Nice buildup, but as soon as Godzilla appears, everything slows to a crawl. It's fine, just, mediocre.

You might have enjoyed it better if you had a nice cold Dr. Pepper.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://x.com/variety/status/1778498323109855697?s=46&t=I-gsjpvNkUNcOBofs8OOkQ

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

I hope this season has Godzilla in it

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i hope one of the spin offs is about godzilla

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
what I hope for is some news for the Minus One bluray because I dont know how else I'll get to see it :negative:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I think it'd be neat if I could purchase Minus One on blu ray with English subtitles before the Dune 2 home release comes out next month

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

How the gently caress after that trash first season.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
It's consistently stayed toward the top 3 shows of Apple TV.

I completely agree, I thought it was truly bad and not just in the ways that prestige shows usually are (glacial pacing, filler, and obvious loose ends for next season aka all the stuff Constellation does) It was repetitive, grating nonsense.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

People irl I know seemed to like it. I didn’t get past the first few episodes but hey, more monsterverse is good

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Vintersorg posted:

Perhaps you didn't see the box office figures for Godzilla X Kong...

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Godzilla x Kong and the New Empire at least have a sense of fun about them, or at least are trying to. The show's core issue is a weepy family drama that gets dropped in the season finale. It's literally almost nothing but the human stuff that people claim to hate.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
I thought the show was going to be about the teacher daughter coming to grips with losing her entire class of kids when Godzilla first appeared and also finding out that her father was part of monarch and maybe there would be resentment there because he knew about the Kaiju and did nothing to warn people.

But then came the whole secret family stuff and i just kinda had it in the background after that and didn't really pay attention, though the episode where she went back to San Francisco and saw her mom, who had a super chill boyfriend, and then were wreckage workers was good enough for me to want to see their story more instead of the monarch stuff

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Failson posted:

Yeah, I think 1985 moves better. Besides the dumb pentagon stuff and the evil Russians the rest of the changes work, especially the replaced scoring. Burr's monologue at the end is great, too bad they couldn't keep that song for the credits though lol.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, watching Godzilla vs Space Godzilla as one of the last three Toho live action films I haven't seen.

Now I know why people talk poo poo about Heisei. After two films full of fun nonsense, and one of tolerably fun nonsense, there's... this. It's odd, in a way. The plot's no dumber or more confusing than King Ghidorah, the effects are worse but not that much worse, and it's not like the humans have been the main draw in any of these, But then you watch this, and it's just miserable.

There's no flow to the plot, the human plot takes random tangents that sound like Showa style goofy fun in the abstract without actually mattering, Space Godzilla has all these complicated plans without having a personality...

Like, Godzilla Vs. Gigan was terrible, but Gigan is fun. He's a stupid rear end in a top hat who enjoys bullying the weak. Space Godzilla, meanwhile, does too much to work as a wild animal or a Megalon style dumbass, but he also doesn't have motives or personality to be an actual character, so you just get... well, a bunch of nothing with a ridiculous 90s design and a lot of explosions.

And the fighting, well, I saw people complain about the lack of punches and kicks in Heisei, and I thought that was a bit much. Sure, there's less than Showa, but there was some nice grappling in King Ghidorah. Meanwhile, this... this I can see. When the things get to fighting up close, as opposed to endless beam spam, it's just the saddest little slaps.

The film also tries to have drama after spending the initial scenes of Space Godzilla arriving being entirely weak gags that take forever, ensuring that the destruction of a city feels like a non-issue. It doesn't even do anything with Space Godzilla threatening baby Godzilla as a hostage, which makes that whole plot point feel pointless.

So, yes. That was bad. Two to go. Hopefully Destroyah or Tokyo SOS (but I have less hope for that one) will close things off better than this.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Martman posted:

He's lonely.

That's really it. The whole bit in Skull Island about how he's giant monkey Batman, and his bonding moment with humans is with a couple who show no fear of him and literally reach out to him as a being with feelings and vulnerability. (Compare and contrast to Godzilla's moment with Brody, finding commonality in that moment with such an immensely different being)

Actually on that note, interesting how in the intro to GvS Kong has a morning routine that involves taking his time fashioning a tree trunk to toss towards the roof of his artificial habitat, as he has clearly done many times before. A planned, premeditated, measured and repeated act of protest of his conditions, and.a demonstration that he only remains in them by choice. And how he can flat out communicate in human language, but only chooses to do so with select humans.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Vintersorg posted:

For better or worse (and there is a lot of worse), Monarch Show is at least taking some chances within the constraints of this massive shlockbuster subfranchise.

Godzilla -1, KSI, and Godzilla 2014 are each roughly 2 hours long, and I reckon there is about that much equivalent-quality material in the show. That’s more than can be said about any of these monsterverse movie sequels, which are fundamentally just unfunny comedies.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

That’s unnecessarily harsh on Skull Island, though I guess that’s technically a prequel.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Well, finished Tokyo SOS. Only Destroyah to go.

(Well, and the American films, and maybe the anime if I'm feeling more self-loathing than usual).

There's not really much to say about this one. Or, I contradict myself. The film itself isn't that interesting, but there's something interesting about it's uninteresting status, if that makes any sense. After four standalone films, the Millenium era finally goes in for a sequel. That feels like it should be a big moment. Maybe there was a character people demanded more of, some worldbuilding hook too good to throw away, something that makes people sit up and say "Let's go for more of that."

But not really. Oh, it picks up from the end of the last film, and has cameos from its heroine, but there's no attempt to follow up on her arc, or even on Kiryu's.

Worse, the themes are actively in conflict. In Against Mechagodzilla, the key to the film is the heroine being told that Kiryu had value, just by being alive. Him and her were able to work together because she finally cared about her life as something good, and thus was able to treat his life as a good thing, keeping Kiryu on task and letting her escape to have dinner with the single dad scientist.

Here, though, Kiryu was stated to be disturbing the dead. Instead of being a way to give life another chance, the monster is desecrating a corpse. Mothra, the "heroic" monster this time out (who was stated to be dead in the last film, but, details) even goes as far as to state that Godzilla is only attacking because of Kiryu.

And that kind of hurts both films. Instead of working together to make a larger whole, they hold each other back. Against Mechagodzilla's core arc is undercut, while Tokyo SOS depends on watching another film, skipping over all the grounding (admittedly, not that much grounding) that kind of helped the previous film work.

Put it together, and the film's in an odd place as a sequel, neither feeling like two independent films that happen to share a continuity (like most Showa films) or like a "proper" followup. Now, if it was part of a wider set, that'd be easy to ignore, but again. These are the only films with shared continuity in the Millenium set, and they don't seem to know what they want to do with it.

Effects are nice, the characters aren't terrible, it's not like it's one of the bad Godzilla films (I just saw Space Godzilla, so there's a pretty low bar right now), but it does a really poor job of justifying its weird position.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
I can't remember if it was Tokyo SOS or GxMG where I bought the DVD and watched Godzilla and Kiryu slo-mo sumo clashing behind the Diet building and my mom called me out for leaning left-to-right in my chair whevever one monster would pushed the other back. I got really into it.

I blame the score. Michiru Oshima is a really underrated composer. Her millenium Godzilla themes rule extremely hard, and capture Godzilla in a way that Otani's effort in GMK simply doesn't.

It's weird, because I love Kow Otani in literelly everything else I've heard from him, but the GMK score felt like a synth-heavy missstep, aside from the Mothra bits.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, finished Tokyo SOS. Only Destroyah to go.

(Well, and the American films, and maybe the anime if I'm feeling more self-loathing than usual).

There's not really much to say about this one. Or, I contradict myself. The film itself isn't that interesting, but there's something interesting about it's uninteresting status, if that makes any sense. After four standalone films, the Millenium era finally goes in for a sequel. That feels like it should be a big moment. Maybe there was a character people demanded more of, some worldbuilding hook too good to throw away, something that makes people sit up and say "Let's go for more of that."

But not really. Oh, it picks up from the end of the last film, and has cameos from its heroine, but there's no attempt to follow up on her arc, or even on Kiryu's.

Worse, the themes are actively in conflict. In Against Mechagodzilla, the key to the film is the heroine being told that Kiryu had value, just by being alive. Him and her were able to work together because she finally cared about her life as something good, and thus was able to treat his life as a good thing, keeping Kiryu on task and letting her escape to have dinner with the single dad scientist.

Here, though, Kiryu was stated to be disturbing the dead. Instead of being a way to give life another chance, the monster is desecrating a corpse. Mothra, the "heroic" monster this time out (who was stated to be dead in the last film, but, details) even goes as far as to state that Godzilla is only attacking because of Kiryu.

And that kind of hurts both films. Instead of working together to make a larger whole, they hold each other back. Against Mechagodzilla's core arc is undercut, while Tokyo SOS depends on watching another film, skipping over all the grounding (admittedly, not that much grounding) that kind of helped the previous film work.

While you’re not exactly wrong in your interpretation, I don’t see why it’s ‘bad’ that Tokyo SOS problematizes what could be called the fascist elements of Godzilla x Mechagodzilla. While it’s not in itself bad that the protagonist of the first film gets a sexy scientist dinner, her renewed self-esteem is a product of her devotion to the military machine and the defence of the nation against this mindless alien threat.

Tokyo SOS, by (re)introducing the proto-Christian figure Mothra, brings up the previously-unasked question of why Godzilla is even attacking Japan. And it’s like, hold up: Godzillas have spirituality, religion? Their bones perhaps-literally contain the souls of their ancestors? The protagonist of GxMG, however unwittingly, was defending an act of desecration.

Presented with an easy solution to the problem of Godzilla attacks, the Japanese government refuses, as it would mean subordinating themselves to Mothra - literally the same Mothra of 1961, who employed ‘terror tactics’ as a fuckin’ abolitionist superhero!

So, yeah, Tokyo SOS is dope. Mothra’s going to save your soul!

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 14, 2024

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Failson posted:

The score is terrible though

But my childhood memories!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLVkw0HLT_o

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
so kong and shimo execute skar kings generals when they get back to the giant monkey lava mine right?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Imagine the smell of all that dirty ape hair when it hits the lava

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

More talk of the Monarch show reminds me to recommend the two good Kaiju shows on Netflix: the Skull Island and Gamera animated series. Skull Island is 100% shenanigans and also has some really good, truly moving, Kong moments.

Gamera has Gamera doing what he always does, protecting the children. And what he's protecting the children from is batshit crazy, off the walls, ancient civilization conspiracy bullshit that anyone in this thread should love. In one scene someone started dumping "as you know..." exposition, and I was listening along thinking "uh huh... uh huh... okay... wait, what?" After that the show took a sharp 90 degree turn towards crazy town.

Also, Gamera owns a villain with the most over the top kaiju energy beam attack ever. I rewound it twice because :lmao:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also the first episode of the anime Kaiju Number Eight just aired and it's rollicking good fun. The protagonist is a schlubby guy who dreamed of joining the Kaiju Defense Force when he was a kid but he kept failing the entrance exams so he ended up joining the kaiju corpse disposal crew instead, which is the disgusting backbreaking job of hacking apart and hauling away the monster corpses that the defense force leaves behind. But that all changes when he gets infested by a kaiju parasite which pretty much turns him into a Sentai hero who looks like a kaiju, so he has to figure out how to use his new super powers while hiding his kaiju form from the defense force because they'd kill him on sight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsAKMsUjaK0

Ep 1 is available now on Crunchyroll

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 14, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Now that's a drat solid concept. Sounds like a riff on Pacific Rim and Cloverfield there.

I really like how the recent Western additions to the genre have focused on the material nature of giant monsters, how they are physical entities, part of ecosystems, and the resulting impact of their mere presence as well as their rampages and spectacular battles. It lends itself to a lot of fun themes and elements that haven't necessarily been a focus before, at least to that degree.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I watched GXK today and enjoyed it. The human stuff continues to be monumentally stupid but this movie was at least stupid in a fun way. It really felt like a B movie with a 150 million dollar budget.

The best way I could describe it is if the cast of Jurassic World ended up in a late Showa era Godzilla movie.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
80s pop hits fit godzilla really well

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Alex Ferns deserves more work.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
genuinely curious, what was the first movie, series, whatever in the kaiju genre to not just have big monsters stomping through a city, but then have cleanup crews and such having to dismantle a dead kaiju and focus massively on after battle cleanup, and more specifically the concept of kaiju bones and organs and meat being used for industry or consumed, etc? I'm sure it's a very, very old concept, but as someone not really hugely into the kaiju genre the only big example to focus on it a lot I can think of is Pacific Rim, and then when it comes to anime, things like Evangelion or Dai-Guard. It's absolutely become a much more frequent concept recently especially since Pacific Rim, but until the mid to late 90s I'm unfamiliar with anything before Eva that did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Captain Invictus posted:

genuinely curious, what was the first movie, series, whatever in the kaiju genre to not just have big monsters stomping through a city, but then have cleanup crews and such having to dismantle a dead kaiju and focus massively on after battle cleanup, and more specifically the concept of kaiju bones and organs and meat being used for industry or consumed, etc? I'm sure it's a very, very old concept, but as someone not really hugely into the kaiju genre the only big example to focus on it a lot I can think of is Pacific Rim, and then when it comes to anime, things like Evangelion or Dai-Guard. It's absolutely become a much more frequent concept recently especially since Pacific Rim, but until the mid to late 90s I'm unfamiliar with anything before Eva that did it.

Millennium-era Mechagodzilla was built around the original Godzilla's skeleton, that might have kicked off the idea of using dead kaiju parts. I guess you could also argue that Mecha-King Ghidorah back in the Heisei era was technically built from King Ghidorah's remains when the Futurians retrieved its corpse from the bottom of the sea