Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Non Compos Mentis posted:

so kong and shimo execute skar kings generals when they get back to the giant monkey lava mine right?

Everyone is allowed a chance to surrender to the new regime. If you resist, your body will be used to savagely beat other dissidents. It's written in the bylaws next to the other suspiciously verbose prophecies.

After this I'm waiting for a filmmaker to just give up on human characters, I can't imagine how dead inside it would make an actor to pick up a (large) paycheck in order to spout exposition at a green screen. I'm also unclear why there needs to be a brutally unfunny nerd character in like everything since Transformers '07. Instead of this, just make Conan '82 but with King Kong.

I didn't expect to leave this giving a poo poo about any ape characters but Curious Gollum is great and the last third of the movie delivers on the silly romp factor. King Louis is not really a convincing villain compared even to the jobber kaijus in this movie though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Kong without the humans would be something like Primal. Ok,that has people but no dialogue, just screaming and violence.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
does kong understand normal sign language or just the little girl sign language?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Millennium-era Mechagodzilla was built around the original Godzilla's skeleton, that might have kicked off the idea of using dead kaiju parts. I guess you could also argue that Mecha-King Ghidorah back in the Heisei era was technically built from King Ghidorah's remains when the Futurians retrieved its corpse from the bottom of the sea
oh I more meant for everyday civilian things rather than for hacking together more kaiju out of dead kaiju.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Captain Invictus posted:

genuinely curious, what was the first movie, series, whatever in the kaiju genre to not just have big monsters stomping through a city, but then have cleanup crews and such having to dismantle a dead kaiju and focus massively on after battle cleanup, and more specifically the concept of kaiju bones and organs and meat being used for industry or consumed, etc? I'm sure it's a very, very old concept, but as someone not really hugely into the kaiju genre the only big example to focus on it a lot I can think of is Pacific Rim, and then when it comes to anime, things like Evangelion or Dai-Guard. It's absolutely become a much more frequent concept recently especially since Pacific Rim, but until the mid to late 90s I'm unfamiliar with anything before Eva that did it.

Monster cleanup goes back all the way to King Kong's death and subsequent aftermath, IMO. It's obviously not the main focus of the film but it's certainly the point of origin for a lot of smaller ideas that expanded over time into the wider Kaiju film trends.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Arc Hammer posted:

Monster cleanup goes back all the way to King Kong's death and subsequent aftermath, IMO. It's obviously not the main focus of the film but it's certainly the point of origin for a lot of smaller ideas that expanded over time into the wider Kaiju film trends.

Son of Kong (1933) opens with Carl Denham swamped with lawsuits from the events of King Kong but I don’t remember them getting into the practicalities of disposing a giant ape corpse at all.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

david_a posted:

Son of Kong (1933) opens with Carl Denham swamped with lawsuits from the events of King Kong but I don’t remember them getting into the practicalities of disposing a giant ape corpse at all.

Not specifically corpse cleanup but dealing with the aftermath, absolutely.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The one two punch of Ghost Rider and wicker man I think did a lot of damage to cage’s rep for a little bit. With Ghost Ridee you have this great unique actor who loves to try and play contrasted with the director of daredevil lol

The two things did not mix the movie ended up being just completely awful.

The N/T sequel did better in the tone department bht I still don’t like it. The script suffers the same issue only on a writing level where you have a bland story that’s being contested by wild and unique filmmakers

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I still think about the gag where "the guy who makes everything decay" holds a Twinkie and nothing happens. It comes to me every seven months or so, unbidden.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That gag seems to get recycled a lot - I thought I saw something in the past month or so where everything a guy touches rots but he picks up a twinkie and it's fine. I don't think it was GR2 either. I remember him being in a car I think.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Spirit of Vengeance may not be a very good movie, but it's a great movie.

wait we're not in the horror thread, goddamnit CP

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Vintersorg posted:

That gag seems to get recycled a lot - I thought I saw something in the past month or so where everything a guy touches rots but he picks up a twinkie and it's fine. I don't think it was GR2 either. I remember him being in a car I think.

He's in a car in GR2 as well!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvnOZiCXudk

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think we can agree that the Ghost Rider movies would be improved by including Godzilla.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Name Change posted:

Everyone is allowed a chance to surrender to the new regime. If you resist, your body will be used to savagely beat other dissidents. It's written in the bylaws next to the other suspiciously verbose prophecies.

After this I'm waiting for a filmmaker to just give up on human characters, I can't imagine how dead inside it would make an actor to pick up a (large) paycheck in order to spout exposition at a green screen. I'm also unclear why there needs to be a brutally unfunny nerd character in like everything since Transformers '07. Instead of this, just make Conan '82 but with King Kong.

I didn't expect to leave this giving a poo poo about any ape characters but Curious Gollum is great and the last third of the movie delivers on the silly romp factor. King Louis is not really a convincing villain compared even to the jobber kaijus in this movie though.

I mean, Minus One just came out last year. Human characters with interesting roles in Kaiju films aren't an impossible dream. It's a scientific fact.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Arc Hammer posted:

I think we can agree that the Ghost Rider movies would be improved by including Godzilla.

Seconded!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The Room would be even more perfect than it already was

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nikumatic posted:

Spirit of Vengeance may not be a very good movie, but it's a great movie.

wait we're not in the horror thread, goddamnit CP

Goddamnit I’ve done this so many times. My brain is utterly cooked. I apologize

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Nic Cage should play Godzilla. no costume or special effects just the power of acting

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Cage's acting style is as big as a kaiju

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Sorry, the best I can offer you is a Jason Statham

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TazlEr6pIMk

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, Minus One just came out last year. Human characters with interesting roles in Kaiju films aren't an impossible dream. It's a scientific fact.

Well yeah Minus One is basically infinitely better than this, that should go without saying

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 27 days!)

still no plans on when Godzilla Minus One will be up for streaming?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This found a way to tie into my post ty

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1780192108520816682

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Blu Ray when???

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Martman posted:

Nic Cage should play Godzilla. no costume or special effects just the power of acting

alternatively:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0NQX6bSp4A

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

At least we'll have a good rip until the blu comes.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The other Twitter accounts I see reporting about Minus One on Prime are casually leaving out “in Japan” as a clear attempt to get engagement.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I really want a steelbook 4k of this movie but I'll take a normal blu ray released in the US too. Please let me give you money Toho (also let me buy the few movies not available on blu ray anymore from Heisei era).

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’m stupid and impatient, so I ordered that big Japanese 4K set, knowing full well I’ll have to find and download an English sub track when I put it on Plex.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m stupid and impatient, so I ordered that big Japanese 4K set, knowing full well I’ll have to find and download an English sub track when I put it on Plex.

Same. It'll go well with my 4K discs of Shin Godzilla and Shin Ultraman.

edit: The dream

https://x.com/boowygon/status/1776190849057255902

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 16, 2024

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Search?Company=835&SearchText=Kitty%20Kaiju&o=1

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Vintersorg posted:

At least we'll have a good rip until the blu comes.

There’s one already out there of the Black and White version

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Gaz2k21 posted:

There’s one already out there of the Black and White version

The minus color version comes out on disc in Japan on May 1st along with the regular version. Are you thinking about the B&W Shin Godzilla? That's been on disc for a while

Edit: I was wrong. Shin Godzilla “Orthochromatic” is being released and streamed at the same time

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 17, 2024

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence

Captain Invictus posted:

genuinely curious, what was the first movie, series, whatever in the kaiju genre to not just have big monsters stomping through a city, but then have cleanup crews and such having to dismantle a dead kaiju and focus massively on after battle cleanup, and more specifically the concept of kaiju bones and organs and meat being used for industry or consumed, etc? I'm sure it's a very, very old concept, but as someone not really hugely into the kaiju genre the only big example to focus on it a lot I can think of is Pacific Rim, and then when it comes to anime, things like Evangelion or Dai-Guard. It's absolutely become a much more frequent concept recently especially since Pacific Rim, but until the mid to late 90s I'm unfamiliar with anything before Eva that did it.

Ooh! Ooh! Inhumanoids! That poo poo was all about corporations exploiting giant monster poo poo they had no business exploiting, but it was also a dumb 80's kids cartoon that rules and sucks in the usual ways. There was a cleanup crew for the remains of the Man-Thing plant monster named Tendril. I don't remember anything else except for the kaiju lich called Decompose who used his ribcage as an actual cage to trap people and once tickled a lady's belly to turn her into a nightmare horror thing. I had his action figure.

Godzilla vs Biollante had G-cells being used for agriculture, specifically to grow hardy wheat in the desert. People in white suits used BBQ tongs to pick up Godzilla bits and everything.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
There was also a volcano monster who stuck his hand down his throat and pulled gobs of lava from his guts to throw at people (Inhumanoids). I think he was the main villain?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Holy gently caress GodzillaxKong was atrocious dogshit.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Detective No. 27 posted:

The other Twitter accounts I see reporting about Minus One on Prime are casually leaving out “in Japan” as a clear attempt to get engagement.

I'm not really a fan of any other franchises on the same level as Godzilla so I'm not as plugged in to them, but I wouldn't be surprised if the engagement farming is unusually bad in the G-Fan community. I remember my attempt to wage a one-man holy war against godzilla-movies.com and their SEO bait bullshit during the run-up to G'14...

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Thanks! This will be the perfect gift for someone I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

banned from Starbucks posted:

Holy gently caress GodzillaxKong was atrocious dogshit.

did you like the car ad?