Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/14_kaiju/status/1780314123110326357?t=_JcKPnFX1Vret3YzMETWng&s=19

Good luck Kaiju buddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
thank you for your service :911:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Maybe he can fix them calling the aircraft fighter jets while he's at it. Pedantic nerd in me bristles at the J7W being called that.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/notstevely/status/1780703756130353408

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

site posted:

thank you for your service :911:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Good luck Kaiju buddy

You know, in the old days, people planning on piracy didn't announce it in advance. Helped keep plausible deniability, meant less trouble for everyone. Doing things this way dramatically increases the odds of Toho lawyers getting ticked.

The Internet Archive is a valuable service for everyone. Putting it in danger to see a film a few weeks early strikes me as a questionable move.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Then make it more widely available, simple as. I really don't care if a business like Toho gets angry about this sort of thing, they can defend themselves. The fact is that Minus One isn't available to watch anywhere else and if companies and streaming platforms won't change that then people inevitably will for them.

Sure it's brazen but after decades of this region exclusive nonsense maybe brazen is needed to get peoples attention.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Yeah, normally I'd be right there with you, but host it on your own drat servers or run it through files places; don't gently caress around with the Internet Archive in the process.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Put it on Mega or google drive or something. No need to mess with the internet archive. Their servers are slow as poo poo anyway

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Affea100/status/1780988177035247661

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

That's out of character!

Godzilla would use his son as a ranged weapon by yanking on his tail so he shoots atomic fire. Children as melee weapons is a total Kong thing.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gotta start saving

https://x.com/gormaruisland/status/1781737956786512375?s=61&t=fWsm-upldseXptBaVlet9Q

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1781811945462530144?t=tVlRQvTzJ4_p8UJEz7TdnA&s=19

Huh so that's what he looks like when it's not nighttime.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Finally saw Destoroyah last night, finishing off the Toho Godzilla films.

It's the most disappointed I've been this whole run.

Now, to be clear, it's not the worst. It comes after Space Godzilla, after all. But I had seen this one hyped to the heavens, treated as a top five level film, and then I watched it.

Not exactly a contender.

The human side is, as often is the case, the biggest weakness. None of the new characters in this film have arcs, despite the film implying they will. They're just something to fill the screentime, get in fights, and give exposition, often tossing in more characters rather than figure out what to do with the ones they have. We've got Miki and her psychic friend, we've got two grandkids for doctor Yamane and a cameo from his daughter (who didn't have kids, so there's no exploiting the close family drama, either.), we've got the Super X-III pilot team of three people despite the brass talking about how there was only one man for the job... it's a mess. (And speaking of a mess, Sho Kuroki is played by Masahiro Takashima in this one, instead of his original actor Masanobu Takashima. Masahiro Takashima who just played a completely different superweapon pilot in Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla II. It's a "look who it is!" callback done in the most baffling way possible.)

I know I joke about, or even occasionally complain about, the tendency of Showa Godzilla to have the protagonists lead humanity's efforts against the kaiju of the week, no matter if we're talking a brilliant and respected scientist or a failed mangaka, but there's a good reason for that. If we're focusing on some action, we need someone we've got an emotional investment in if it's going to mean anything. Now, you can have the character be a ground level grunt, like in Minus One, or you can have the character be a planner in an office with the whole battle being the important thing instead of an individual's fate, like in Shin, and both can work, but there should be some connection to the cast. Here, though, they ignore that rule of thumb. Most prominently, there's the Aliens riff with the SWAT team. In Aliens, the Marines are our heroes, we've got time to get to know them, and them getting their asses kicked is tense because we don't want them to bite it. Ripley coming in for the save matters to us.

Here, we just get generic SWAT looking guys who sometimes kill monsters and sometimes die to them without any reason to give a rat's rear end either way. It's sound and fury signifying nothing.

So, that's the film as a film lost. The characters are just spectators with no growth or real purpose, even when they show up on screen. The callbacks to the original Godzilla are worse, taking one of the strongest human plots in the series and reducing it to nothing. The film has a scientist working on what turns out to be the oxygen destroyer's civilian counterpart, a monster awakened by the original oxygen destroyer (which undermines Serizawa's sacrifice a bit, even aside from the headscratcher of it taking forty years for the bugs to show up, at which point they immediately become a giant monster with almost no oxygen-destroyer relevant abilities.), and a new monster that required the oxygen destroyer more than ever... and none of it comes together. There's no sacrifice or redemption, Godzilla is taken down with no need for the oxygen destroyer, and the characters don't seem to have learned any lesson. It's just things happening.

Oh, but the monsters, they redeem the film, right?

No. Of course not. The final fight is okay, if plagued by an excess of beamspam (it's late Heisei. To be expected.), and Godzilla mourning his son is nice... but the film lacks all urgency, with Godzilla being repeatedly stymied, the final fight being decided by JSDF random grunts, and the end of the world being treated with less urgency than past films had for the destruction of a single city.

Like Destroy All Monsters and GMK, it's a film that suffers from its reputation, but where GMK was still
a good film (hurt by hoping for great) and Destroy All Monsters was a monster mash that needed more monster, this was a film in the late Heisei doldrums that coasts on a couple big moments at the ending. Those moments land, don't get me wrong. But nothing else in the film earns them, or is particularly interesting on its own.

Technically, I've got places to go in the quest still. Anime, Legendary, and Gojiban all await, when and if I'm up for it. But the core of the series is now covered, and overall, Godzilla...

Well, Godzilla has a lot of movies. Enough that it's hard to say one thing about all of them. There's great (the original, Shin, Minus One), there's terrible (Space Godzilla, Megaguirus), and there's a lot in between. I'm glad I've seen more, but somehow I don't feel much more enlightened than when I'd seen much less. Perils of a long running series with tons of directors, I suppose. Themes rise and fall, casts change... and there's still a big lizard destroying Japan.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Apr 21, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I feel most of the goodwill towards Destroyah comes down to the final scene, which will get to you. It stands on its own as a good, tragic send-off for Big G that contrasts nicely against the earlier scene in the film where they anticipate a global firestorm when he melts down. It replaces the human fears of mutual destruction with the personal agony of a creature that just lost everything he cared about in life while his own nature is his undoing.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

chiasaur11 posted:

You know, in the old days, people planning on piracy didn't announce it in advance. Helped keep plausible deniability, meant less trouble for everyone. Doing things this way dramatically increases the odds of Toho lawyers getting ticked.

The Internet Archive is a valuable service for everyone. Putting it in danger to see a film a few weeks early strikes me as a questionable move.

As long as they follow the DMCA, the IA will be fine. The IA's much bigger worry at the moment is Chunk Wendig suing them over having his books available for rent in their digital library.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Kong x Zilla is very stupid and I love it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Y’all seen Snow Monster vs Ice Shark?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

Kong x Zilla is very stupid and I love it.

Same. And I don't mind that it's mostly a Kong movie, we already had two and a half Godzilla movies and only one and a half Kong ones. Now the ratio is approximately 2.7:2.3, reptile-ape harmony is within reach.

Mechani-Kong when??

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 22, 2024

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
a better movie would have used the power glove as a lead in to mecha kong

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Cythereal posted:

Legendary Godzilla is humanity's cat. Trundles out of the ocean, scratches bases off the map if he feels like it, leaves decapitated kaiju corpses every so often to remind you he's on the job.

The new one doubles down on this with Godzilla taking a cat nap in the Roman coliseum.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/godzilla_jp/status/1782952603976073280?s=46&t=uiUehxbkNdNcN0PmfZ4Vaw

I feel like the thought process was “they Americanized Godzilla, a Japanese icon. We should Americanize perhaps the most Japanese of foods, for a tie in.”

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/PaPa_Arts/status/1782952672284283204?t=5CSv7OnILDAJ5Ox5KQpFDQ&s=19

Seems about right.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Detective No. 27 posted:

https://twitter.com/godzilla_jp/status/1782952603976073280?s=46&t=uiUehxbkNdNcN0PmfZ4Vaw

I feel like the thought process was “they Americanized Godzilla, a Japanese icon. We should Americanize perhaps the most Japanese of foods, for a tie in.”

At least it's not banana sushi.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
... honestly roast beef sushi is not the worst idea

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Maxwell Lord posted:

... honestly roast beef sushi is not the worst idea

Its not uncommon in Japan. I've had horse sushi there as well.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Local place here does a rare seared steak sushi that is delicious.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1783701106628972985?t=ci8AZlCEmN9YTPgJhu1h-A&s=19

Loons like a repaint but these Hiya Toys kits are rivaling the SH Monsterarts models. And I like the look of the bulk phase Godzilla before he finished his cut.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Watched Hedorah with my girlfriend last night.

Peak.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://x.com/gmanofmysteroid/status/1783717506890240501?s=46&t=I-gsjpvNkUNcOBofs8OOkQ

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I was about to post that. “it was a silly movie, made by an idiot” is thread title worthy.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

That first one is perfect

Detective No. 27 posted:

I was about to post that. “it was a silly movie, made by an idiot” is thread title worthy.

:hmmyes:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Detective No. 27 posted:

I was about to post that. “it was a silly movie, made by an idiot, and it was very good” is thread title worthy.

You gotta do the whole thing

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

edit: Seriously: GxK is my favorite dumb Godzilla film since Godzilla vs. Megalon. I love it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Detective No. 27 posted:

Full of sound and fury?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Godzilla & Kaiju Movies: It was a silly movie, made by an idiot, and it was very good

:hmmyes:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

What drama parts did Kong do? That movie still somehow had 70%+ of its runtime with the awful human characters and that's with Kong "doing the drama parts"

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Being on a lonely journey to find anyone he can be with, finding out that he was in fact NOT the last of his kind and then being saddened because his kind is enslaved by a massive rear end in a top hat. After being defeated by said rear end in a top hat putting himself in danger to try and recruit his rival, etc etc. Lots of drama for Kong.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

banned from Starbucks posted:

What drama parts did Kong do? That movie still somehow had 70%+ of its runtime with the awful human characters and that's with Kong "doing the drama parts"

Did you uh fall asleep during the movie or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I certainly tried to any time fat blogger and little girl were on screen