Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Watching this tomorrow. For Minus One, me and my partner took the night off, picked out a nice imax, etc. For this one, we're inviting a bunch of friends to eat some edibles and just enjoy the ride. I'm not expecting it to be very good, but I am hoping for some prime Showa insanity.

One of our friends is part of the Marvel-generation and told us she was going to have to do a deep dive into the 'lore' of Godzilla in order to make sense of the plot. We had to very carefully break it to her that this is probably not going to help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

While I don't think GxK reached the heights of GvK, I felt this was a love letter to the 80s and later Showa films.

I do love how pretty this and GvK are. Really great use of color and lighting, it's nice to see more films go for saturated "Technicolor" looks for fantasy and sci-fi again.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I enjoyed the camera work in this one a lot. In IMAX some shots made me dizzy and that was great.

It felt more like a Wingard movie than GvK did

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Seeing this movie tonight, having successfully avoided spoilers or many trailers. Looking forward to seeing Godzilla suplex somebody or something like that, and prepared to unfocus my eyes when humans are on screen.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Honestly it’s probably because it’s been a tough month and this movie was very pleasing after a lot of bullshit but I found the human stuff to be pretty good and the ending got to me a little

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

CelticPredator posted:

Honestly it’s probably because it’s been a tough month and this movie was very pleasing after a lot of bullshit but I found the human stuff to be pretty good and the ending got to me a little

I think that's Rebecca Hall delivering a level of acting far above the material she's been given. I got a quick lump in the throat at the end at what I'm guessing is the same scene you're thinking of.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

She’s just so good. Definitely one of the best leads the monsterverse has had.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Binary Badger posted:

frankly, who's gonna tell big G he can't use the Coliseum as a big Fort Warms?

I thought he slept in the radioactive Atlantis?

Obligatory: Godzilla sleeps in a big bed with his wife.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Zero One posted:

Well they nuked it so it might've collapsed

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Zero One posted:

Obligatory: Godzilla sleeps in a big bed with his wife.

I really liked how KotM went all Ancient Aliens with its kaiju, complete with Sumerian chanting about giant monsters and all. I want to know more about how the gods from the dawn of civilization were actually giant monsters!

I think the Hollow Earth is now a different dimension that's connected to ours through underground wormholes? Like Pacific Rim? But then Godzilla can also bore a tunnel from there straight to Hong Kong, so who knows.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

A Worrying Warlock posted:

I really liked how KotM went all Ancient Aliens with its kaiju, complete with Sumerian chanting about giant monsters and all. I want to know more about how the gods from the dawn of civilization were actually giant monsters!

I think the Hollow Earth is now a different dimension that's connected to ours through underground wormholes? Like Pacific Rim? But then Godzilla can also bore a tunnel from there straight to Hong Kong, so who knows.

It’s rather poorly-conveyed, but the concept is that there’s a layer of space-time distortion ‘between’ the regular Earth and Hollow Earth.

The plot of TV show concerns a third world located inside that middle layer, while (by the time of the bad monsterverse movies) everyone’s figured out how to bypass it and go straight to the dumb monkey planet.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
That’s so needlessly stupid and dangerously close to genuinely-harmful conspiracy nut nonsense.

Just loving make them all b-movie aliens from Planet X like they actually did in the Showa era.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That’s so needlessly stupid and dangerously close to genuinely-harmful conspiracy nut nonsense.

Just loving make them all b-movie aliens from Planet X like they actually did in the Showa era.

Half of the Godzilla vs Kong 1 movie human plot is about a conspiracy podcaster lol. They’re already all the way there

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

A classic Showa era plot about how THEY control your mind through fluoride in water

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

you could argue that Showa danced around a lot of then-current conspiracy nut nonsense but that it was just a lot less harmless.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Take back this poo poo!!!!!

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Like over half of the Showa monsters are from earth anyway. Godzilla, Kong, Mothra, Rodan, Anguirus, Ebirah, King Caesar, Kamakuras, Kumonga, Baragon, Frankenstein and the resulting Gargantuas, jobbers like the giant condor and the giant octopus. Megalon, even. Earth nature is horrible.

But I agree we need more aliens.

Having one of the more prominent characters in this series being a hahah he's harmless Alex Jones analogue is, uh, a decision in these modern times, though.

Desumaytah fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 30, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Aside from reptilians which are kinda lame a lot of conspiracy stuff makes for great fiction

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
hollow earth is cool, 'shadowy government has/has not built enough shelters to save everyone from the climatastrophe' is not

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bring back aliens blasting Sum 41.

https://x.com/gormaruisland/status/1773851513091162373?s=46&t=I-gsjpvNkUNcOBofs8OOkQ

I’m ready for the Legendary Millenium Era.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Man, this was a real stinker. Solid 2/5. My wife's verdict: "After Minus One, it's clear that only Japanese people should be allowed to make Godzilla films."

Some thoughts:

Extremely pretty film, loved the color palette and the extremely prevalent use of cool-looking crystals, but very muddy action sequences that reminded me of Transformers in the worst way. Fight choreo was a huge step down from GvK.
Kong is Simba, Scar is obviously Scar, mini-Kong is so clearly Gollum it's actually painful.
Really wish we'd gotten some telepathy subtitles between the girl and the tribe, so we could actually see her reaction instead of Dr. Two PHD's assumptions.
It's a shame that none of Dr. Two PHD's knowledge or expertise or literally anything are ever plot-relevant.
I get the desire to have some comic relief characters, but please give them some jokes to say.
I legit [/i]don't[/i] get the desire to have all this contrived deus-ex-machina tech and fantasy magic that, again, barely ever actually interacts with the plot. Especially the Hollow Earth stuff: what's the fun of a kaiju film that takes place almost entirely away from humanity?

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Human stuff was whatever but I had a good time watching everybody beat each other up

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
Saw this opening night. It's a major shift in tone from Godzilla 2014, and in comparison to Godzilla Minus One it's effectively a polar opposite, but GxK felt to me like a sort of mix of the Showa and Heisei Godzilla series in a vein similar to Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla. The mischievous characterization of the young Kong was much more enjoyable to me than the thoroughly cutesy depictions of Minilla and Baby Godzilla. I also like how the ending of the movie introduced a number of elements that could be implemented and expanded upon in future movies.

GxK was also my girlfriend's first exposure to Godzilla (barring the infamous Godzilla 1998). I was very curious how she would react to it and was pleasantly surprised that she ended up enjoying it quite a bit, despite normally being more of a fan of hard sci-fi.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So, uh, is Shimo Kong's new girlfriend? I mean, when the film contains a throwaway line about interspecies dating, reminds us that Godzilla is a wife guy of mythical proportions for a giant moth, and ends with Kong giving affectionate chin-scratches to a creature who's presumably just as sapient as he is, you can't help but wonder.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Muscle Tracer posted:

Man, this was a real stinker. Solid 2/5. My wife's verdict: "After Minus One, it's clear that only Japanese people should be allowed to make Godzilla films."

Some thoughts:

Extremely pretty film, loved the color palette and the extremely prevalent use of cool-looking crystals, but very muddy action sequences that reminded me of Transformers in the worst way. Fight choreo was a huge step down from GvK.
Kong is Simba, Scar is obviously Scar, mini-Kong is so clearly Gollum it's actually painful.
Really wish we'd gotten some telepathy subtitles between the girl and the tribe, so we could actually see her reaction instead of Dr. Two PHD's assumptions.
It's a shame that none of Dr. Two PHD's knowledge or expertise or literally anything are ever plot-relevant.
I get the desire to have some comic relief characters, but please give them some jokes to say.
I legit [/i]don't[/i] get the desire to have all this contrived deus-ex-machina tech and fantasy magic that, again, barely ever actually interacts with the plot. Especially the Hollow Earth stuff: what's the fun of a kaiju film that takes place almost entirely away from humanity?

How come Godzilla isn't in this review? How much of a backseat is our boy taking?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

How come Godzilla isn't in this review? How much of a backseat is our boy taking?

Extreme backseat. Godzilla gets two extremely truncated fights and doesn't actually enter the main plot until the back half of act 3. E: to be clear he's still in the climqctic final fight, so technically like 3 and a half fights.

Muscle Tracer fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 30, 2024

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Muscle Tracer posted:

Extreme backseat. Godzilla gets two extremely truncated fights and doesn't actually enter the main plot until the back half of act 3.

Good thing I was sitting down for this news! Thanks. I'll still check it out sometime.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yikes. This one's gonna be a skip for me then. Can you spoiler why he's pink now

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

site posted:

Yikes. This one's gonna be a skip for me then. Can you spoiler why he's pink now

He took a nap in the lair of a pink kaiju, on the seafloor of the north pole, so he could soak up lots of solar radiation that is directed there by the earth's magnetosphere. Not joking.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I think I'll just keep imagining he's gay now that seems better than what we got

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM

Muscle Tracer posted:

Extreme backseat. Godzilla gets two extremely truncated fights and doesn't actually enter the main plot until the back half of act 3. E: to be clear he's still in the climqctic final fight, so technically like 3 and a half fights.

To be a bit more specific, the fights in GxK are between (in order..I'm fairly sure):

- Kong versus a few hyena-like kaiju.
- Godzilla versus Scylla.
- Godzilla versus the French military.
- Kong versus a group of other giant apes.
- Kong versus a sea serpent of some kind.
- Godzilla versus Tiamat.
- Kong versus Skar King.
- Godzilla versus Kong.
- Godzilla, Kong, and Mothra versus Skar King, Shimo, and a few other giant ape minions.
- Godzilla and Kong versus Skar King and Shimo.

So, yeah, a lot of fighting in this movie. Godzilla's new form also seems to make him more fast-moving, much more than I've ever seen.

Hexmage-SA fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 30, 2024

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Liked GxK quite a bit, thought the colorful visuals were really striking and the camera work was super cool. Even enjoyed the human characters for the most part, thought they gave them some good little moments.

Didn't like the soundtrack, wish they could have spent more time with some of the new monsters and it felt like they explained what was going to happen in the climax about 3 times too many, but overall was a lot of fun.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

GxK talk with a bit of Minus One as well: How can you bring back Mothra and not play her theme when she returns? After that scene I realized they didn't use Godzilla's theme at all either. Say what you will about KotM but Bear McCreary knocked it out of the park with each Kaiju's iconic theme in that movie. One thing I loved in Minus One is how they used Godzilla's theme throughout, starting off with it being more full of dread, but by the end it's more hopeful as the plan is coming together

Cercueil
Sep 21, 2006

I saw this Thursday at a late night showing in 4DX and had a blast. Theatre was pretty full, everyone sounded like they were enjoying themselves, people cheered when Kong and Godzilla charged Shimo and Skar. It was actually one of the best movie expieriences I've at a regular theater. It's very much a Showa era film and the 5-year-old in me enjoyed it.

Also, I really like Skar King as a villian. He has a bit of swagger and menace to his character, and thought it was cool having another tool user kaiju.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Muscle Tracer posted:

I only half jokingly said it was a Planet of the Apes movie with a giant Lizard b-plot.

I still enjoyed it. Just kind of shut my brain off and didn't think about it that much. I wouldn't call it good by any stretch though.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Just got out of the movie. The worst part was the two kids behind me (literal children so what can you do) just yapping the entire movie at a loud - ish volume. Thankfully it was imax and the sound drowned them out most of the time.

Anyway if you like the last movie youll enjoy this. It’s a lot of fun. It’s big and stupid and trashy but gently caress it, it’s fun. And the human moments pay off by the end. Godzilla hitting that suplex in imax was worth the price of admission. Give me more.

KOTM is the worst of these movies for sure.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Commissar Canuck posted:

GxK talk with a bit of Minus One as well: How can you bring back Mothra and not play her theme when she returns? After that scene I realized they didn't use Godzilla's theme at all either. Say what you will about KotM but Bear McCreary knocked it out of the park with each Kaiju's iconic theme in that movie. One thing I loved in Minus One is how they used Godzilla's theme throughout, starting off with it being more full of dread, but by the end it's more hopeful as the plan is coming together

They played it when they showed the stone thing

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Sometimes I yearn for the days of grimdark Godzilla with a sense of scale, but then I see Kong swinging around a baby ape like a nunchuk and realize that's not what this film franchise is about anymore. It would be like going on a rollercoaster ride for a sense of pathos. Godzilla tears up half a dozen countries like he's Dua Lipa on vacation.

This isn't really a Godzilla movie though. He's kind of just there charging up radiation to use in a final battle where he doesn't need to break sweat? I watched Godzilla vs Kong's fights on my phone before this and my heart was pounding. None of the kaiju fights here really did. This is a great Kong film though. Whoever voices Kong's grunts and groans is doing a wonderful job at characterizing him. Mini Kong doesn't say one word but is funnier comic relief than the two human characters that are written to be. Mothra is so mother and I actually was interested in the focus group plot that gave her back to us. Skar King and Shimu were kinda giving anime filler arc villains. Let the record show Shimu was innocent!!

It's good to be back in a $20 movie theatre seat watching a giant monster swan dive off the Rock of Gibraltar. Can't wait to see these 5 icons fight Destoroyah (I hope).

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Muscle Tracer posted:

He took a nap in the lair of a pink kaiju, on the seafloor of the north pole, so he could soak up lots of solar radiation that is directed there by the earth's magnetosphere. Not joking.

This is underselling it a bit. He goes full murder hobo, does a home invasion, and brutally murders the Titan living there, just so he can rummage through her battery cabinet.

Godzilla has pretty big "angry, territorial housecat" vibes for most of this movie, which is kinda fun if you're into that sort of thing I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I'm weirdly torn because I liked it, more than Godzilla vs. Kong actually, it went by at a fun clip without ever dragging and the human stuff was actually entertaining for a nice change of pace. But I'm still underwhelmed. I really thought Skar King was going to be a fakeout and he was concealing/would be brushed aside for some other, cooler monster in Act 3. But no, he's the big baddie and the last fight is exactly as anticlimactic as "can Kong beat up the guy he could already beat up and only lost to by trickery, now that he's powered up and has Godzilla helping and Mothra too" makes it sound like it'd be. "Dude who's not as cool as Kong" is not a threat, even though the movie seems to think "what if we gave him a pet who's not as cool as Godzilla and is also only helping against his will so you know he'll half-rear end it and turn on him the second he can" makes him one.

I realize they've already used the two best evil monsters they had with Ghidorah and Mechagodzilla, but they've got to get someone out of the back catalogue who's worth a drat for next time.