Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

mllaneza posted:

I'd compare Skull Island to Aliens.

They're both films that reference Them (1954).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Schwarzwald posted:

They're both films that reference Them (1954).

Real talk, if anyone in this thread some how has not seen Them!

Do so right the gently caress now

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Burkion posted:

And The Giant Behemoth right after

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Kong is REALLY good. I am actually considering buying it and I haven't bought anything since... well, Godzilla 2014.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

Burkion posted:

I have loved that movie since I was in grade school. It aired during AMC's Monsterfest a couple of years ago and I was pleasantly surprised how well the the sound and visual effects held up. (Considering the time it was made.) However DO NOT watch The Giant Spider.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

K. Waste posted:

These elemental themes are making me think that the new flick is gonna hue closer to GMK.

Won't lie, gonna be mildly disappointed when this turns out to be a GMK remake instead of a Ghidorah: The Three Headed Monster remake.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

mllaneza posted:

I'd compare Skull Island to Aliens. As the mystery unfolds characters are picked off one by one by weird and deadly critters. I also compare them as fun action movies. And it has Samuel L. Jackson doing his best Captain Ahab impression. What's not to love ? 8.5/10, did everything it wanted to and did it well.

It's very Aliens. Kid from that piece of poo poo Project X is straight up Hudson. And that made me sad because Bill Paxton is dead. :(

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
You could watch Kong: Skull Island right after King Kong Escapes and not miss a beat.

Actually, do that, watch King Kong Escapes and then Skull Island.

Mecha Gojira posted:

Won't lie, gonna be mildly disappointed when this turns out to be a GMK remake instead of a Ghidorah: The Three Headed Monster remake.

I mean, if it's a bad remake I don't know that it matters. Then again, I'm really down with GMK.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Look, if there's not a subtitled sequence of Rodan and Godzilla telling Mothra to gently caress off, I'm not sure why I want to be in the theater.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I would absolutely settle for two little girls translating for them, for the record.

"My Godzilla, what terrible language!"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The best thing about G '14 was that he was animated so well that you could tell what he was thinking just from his facial expressions. Like in the climax and the Flying MUTO was zipping by him, you could tell G was thinking "You fucker".

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tired ol' bear was an oddly inspired choice for Godzilla.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The great smog entry is a real missed opportunity for a Hedorah reference

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

DeimosRising posted:

The great smog entry is a real missed opportunity for a Hedorah reference

Was that not what it was?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

K. Waste posted:

Was that not what it was?

The text says something garbled about "beating" [of wings] presumably causing an "anticyclone" which trapped mundane pollution a la Mexico City or Salt Lake City. Hedorah ain't got no wings and that doesn't sound like the same thing at all

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

DeimosRising posted:

The text says something garbled about "beating" [of wings] presumably causing an "anticyclone" which trapped mundane pollution a la Mexico City or Salt Lake City. Hedorah ain't got no wings and that doesn't sound like the same thing at all

Hedorah totally can fly though, and it could just be that the pollution itself is a harbinger of what's to come

I mean, you set up your MonsterVerse, you have some poo poo about smog, I'm gonna think of the smog monster

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

K. Waste posted:

Hedorah totally can fly though, and it could just be that the pollution itself is a harbinger of what's to come

I mean, you set up your MonsterVerse, you have some poo poo about smog, I'm gonna think of the smog monster

Sure but that blurb doesn't sound like Hedorah at all

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

DeimosRising posted:

Maybe he was fighting something with wings.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

When's Monarch gonna make Mechagodzilla?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's a new Hedorah. Open your minds.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

K. Waste posted:

Dagahra is the best inclusion on that alleged canon. Like, yes, the D-list villain of Mothra 2 (a movie everyone hates) is the second most deadly kaiju of all (if you split the estimate between Rodan and Anguirus).

I like the implication that Hedorah is now a biological weapon.

Hedorah is the greatest and I'm glad that Canada was not affected by the Kaiju threat.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Hell I would have done Hedorah in the first sequel. A CGI smog monster is a no brainer.

Kong: Skull Island is fun. Definitely has echoes of Aliens and Them!, a good balance of light and dark moments, Brie Larson with 70s hair, etc. Of the many, MANY post-Avengers attempts at a "cinematic universe" this is the one that seems on the surest footing (which makes sense given the obvious parallel between the Showa Godzilla films and contemporary superhero comics.)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I find it works because it's not really that intricate a universe. It's just Godzilla and King Kong, and most of the interconnected plot stuff seems to be mostly in the background, though that may change moving forward since both series have been established now.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I think it works because the groundwork is just "giant monsters can pop up wherever, and they're prone to smashing and fighting." No complex backstories or motives, just embiggened monstas.

I managed to read the tie in comic to kong today. So far, only 2 issues in, it's already getting weird.

Edit: I tracked down the tie in prequel comic to G14 too and now know the 1954 incident you can see on the timeline. In 1945, immediately following Hiroshima, a MUTO (actually the codeword for all unidentified Kaiju) was awakened from deep beneath the surface. It feeds on radiation, and can regenerate from very small pieces like a starfish. They name it Shinomura. It looks like a giant black flying thing, possibly a stingray? Anyways, its attacks lead Gen. MacArthur to form Monarch (included among its ranks being Ishiro Serizawa's father). While tracking the Shinomura over the years, evidence keeps mounting of Gojira's existence and it repeatedly chasing it off. Finally in 1954 Monarch confirms Goji's existence when the two are spotted fighting on Moansta Island (groan). They then chase the two to the Bikini Atoll where they drop an a-bomb, under the claim of "tests", destroying Shinomura. Gojira's status after this is unknown for some time.

Choco1980 fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 16, 2017

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Is there a suggested viewing list for these? I've seen the original and a smattering of others over the years, plus the US ones.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Burkion posted:

We need more giant inscet movies in general. It boggles my mind that we haven't had a mainstream one since ... Eight Legged Freaks? (I know those are arachnids)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Charlz Guybon posted:

We need more giant inscet movies in general. It boggles my mind that we haven't had a mainstream one since ... Eight Legged Freaks? (I know those are arachnids)

SyFy have been keeping the tradition going strong with films like Mansquito, Lavalantula and 2Lava2Lantula but there's also been recent mainstream films like Big rear end Spider and the upcoming It Came from the Desert .

Wikipedia has a handy list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_natural_horror_films

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Detective No. 27 posted:

Tired ol' bear was an oddly inspired choice for Godzilla.

It seems obvious to me they used that huge rear end prehistoric bear as reference for G14 and it was a great choice.

EDIT: short faced bear

G14:

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jul 17, 2017

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I love Crocofaced Bear Godzilla. I also love Dino Weasel face with tiny cat ears Godzilla.

I love all Godzillas.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Rough Lobster posted:

I love Crocofaced Bear Godzilla. I also love Dino Weasel face with tiny cat ears Godzilla.

I love all Godzillas.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Being set on fire multiple times is bad for the skin.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Chronojam posted:

Is there a suggested viewing list for these? I've seen the original and a smattering of others over the years, plus the US ones.

yes. all of them. :colbert:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Real talk, that suit gets a bad rap, but is actually pretty impressive.

The thing is gigantic. I think it's around 7 and a half to 8 feet tall. And from certain angles it doesn't look too bad.

It's just, they made it to look like the Minya suit, and gently caress if that wasn't a sinfully ugly little fella.

I am willing to go to bat for that Godzilla suit though. God knows it's not the worst looking one.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Chronojam posted:

When I watched all of them back in January, I used the IMDB "connections" page for the original to figure out the order. I didn't search too hard to see if there were fan sites that had a better list.

Also, Sally Forth this past month has been having the family at a made up Kaiju theme park since the writer is a big kaiju fan:

duz fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 17, 2017

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

As a kid, my friend dubbed that Godzilla "Meat-Patty Face." Alternatively, "Hamburger-Patty Face."

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

duz posted:

When I watched all of them back in January, I used the IMDB "connections" page for the original to figure out the order. I didn't search too hard to see if there were fan sites that had a better list.

Also, Sally Forth this past month has been having the family at a made up Kaiju theme park since the writer is a big kaiju fan:

Sally Forth has always been the innocuous family comedy of the newspaper comic strip world, waffling between mushy and silly. And the writer's love of cheesy b-movies has long been something integrated into the family's life.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

SyFy have been keeping the tradition going strong with films like Mansquito, Lavalantula and 2Lava2Lantula but there's also been recent mainstream films like Big rear end Spider and the upcoming It Came from the Desert .

Wikipedia has a handy list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_natural_horror_films

Big rear end Spider? That's a loving terrible name. Also, doesn't seem to have seen wide release, which I'm pretty sure Eight Legged Freaks did.

Lol, watched the trailer for It came from the Desert, looks terrible, but in a good way.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 21, 2017

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Choco1980 posted:

Sally Forth has always been the innocuous family comedy of the newspaper comic strip world, waffling between mushy and silly. And the writer's love of cheesy b-movies has long been something integrated into the family's life.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Charlz Guybon posted:

Big rear end Spider? That's loving terrible name. Also, doesn't seem to have seen wide release, which I'm pretty sure Eight Legged Freaks did.

Lol, watched the trailer for It came from the Desert, looks terrible, but in a good way.

Big rear end Spider is legit good and worth a watch it's a shame it got buried in the pile of all these Syfy movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Gaz2k21 posted:

Big rear end Spider is legit good and worth a watch it's a shame it got buried in the pile of all these Syfy movies.

No it's not and not it's not