Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Stupid question but someone had a chart or something in the previous Godzilla thread comparing the heights of various versions of Godzilla. How big is this one supposed to be? In the wide shot he looks enormous, towering over buildings and stuff. Is that typical? I thought the 2014 one was supposed to be bigger what they usually do with the character.

Intense trailer, I can't wait. :D The only thing that worries me is about the effects is how smoothly they can have him moving if they're going to roll with him being in broad daylight/etc. regularly. I LOOOOOOVE the molten skin thing, it's awesome looking.

I loved Godzilla 2014 for a lot of reasons that also were already talked about at length when it came out, this looks rad as hell too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Elfgames posted:

show me the japanese film where godzilla is an "apex predator" instead of the result of a nuclear attack or weapon

It's literally his name. Apex predator and all the other short flowery descriptions Watanabe's character uses throughout the movie are all correct English translations of Gojira,* the most popular and enduring of which is of course King of the Monsters.

*Transliteration of gorilla+whale, in the context of Gojira getting his name, a massive unstoppably strong aquatic life that is all consuming and above all, an apex predator if you will.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Realistic nuclear laser breath only please.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

2014 Godzilla definitely was a movie that understood sound. Seeing that in theaters was awesome.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Cythereal posted:

I'm not as sold on the Mutos on this viewing, though. They look a bit too alien to be completely natural, in my opinion, even if they were animated terrifically and had some personality to go with it. The male especially looks almost biotechnological, and the bridge scene with the Muto's eye.

I agree with this, but I was also I'm assuming if they're going to do more of these they're going to have that just be what humans thought they were, I mean even the name Muto is such a hokey alien from Venus or wherever acronymname. There'll be some line in a later movie like huh this Ghidorah thing's biology is the same as those MUTOs from the 2014 incident they must have been from space too or whatever.

I forget do they ever say anything else about the massive massive massive life form within which they find the MUTOs? That was awesome.

Godzilla's personality is so good in that movie. I love that he like, doesn't even realize humans exist until him and Aaron Taylor-Johnson make eye contact briefly. And the bridge scene too the way he kind of stops and contemplates it like it's the first time he's noticing that some of this stuff he's traipsing around is artificially constructed and not just there.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

They kill off the best character in the movie early on and you're stuck with one of the most boring leads ever.

??? Are you mixing this up with one of the Destroyah ones because Godzilla is definitely shown to be alive at the end.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I will never understand why people like G14 I thought it was such a soulless boring movie.

Shin Godzilla though, is the loving GOAT

They both rule.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

that would have been better then what we got tho???

That movie is shameful but almost worth it for how Toho later worked Zilla into the official canon. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPxhdo4HDgg

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 19, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Honestly I think it's the right choice too, Shin Godzilla is stone cold in a lot of ways and it'd be kind of silly to do a sequel to that particular take with more monsters in it and stuff. Great standalone movie.

I'm just glad this next one is still happening, did Skull Island flop or something? Not a lot was said about a Godzilla 2/King of the Monsters kind of thing since not long after Godzilla 2014 came out.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

Anno has already sorta worked in that space before with EOE, all I can really say is it'd probably be an overload of visual stimuli

For weirdness he should do that comic storyline where Godzilla is in hell and is technically getting killed a lot by monsters/himself/non-demonic monsters he's killed in the past but survives anyway and keeps getting even stronger/absorbs enemies even even though it's hell.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 21, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The original Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake would actually make for an awesome single action espionage movie (or two movies). Like basically just rip off Dredd 2012/The Raid but with spy stuff/sneaking stuff happening in between the encounters. A lot of closeup brutal melee stuff happening that escalates into more and more guns being used as the stakes are higher it gets more intense.* Then about halfway through the movie Boss' true identity is revealed as Snake gets too close to and actually destroys the Metal Gear prototype. Time jump to the second half/movie is Snake/Miller/etc. all pissed as hell at Boss and it can cover them finally tracking down the location of Boss' headquarters/beating Grey Fox/learning that the US government carpet bombed kids/killing the boss with a spraycan/whatever. They just need a technobabble reason for him to be sent to the Boss' headquarters with zero equipment again necessitating having to rely on creative use of cardboard boxes, mannequinn hands, carrier pigeons, hang gliders, etc. :3

It even has already built-in shared cinematic universe stuff via Snatcher and Metal Gear Rising and Policenauts and so on.

*This actually is supported pretty well across Metal Gear 1 and 2. The boss fights in the first two games are all kind of junky in their own way, but they're all like perfect action movie set pieces at the same time.

Oh man can you even imagine a $$$ level movie with the part where RUNNING MAN runs too fast to get attacked by Snake as the room slowly fills with poisonous gas but then Snake notices the pattern he runs around the room in and plants a land mine so that he runs into it and then utters "Guess you weren't fast enough" followed by RUNNING MAN just cold loving exploding apart on screen? Holy poo poo that game rules like you'd barely even need to change anything.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 22, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

ElCondemn posted:

I think the comment about MGS not needing a movie is because the games are basically movies in game form.

I think it would be pretty cool but I think the story really excelled in the game format, the story itself is probably too short to be a full movie, the length of the games is due to gameplay not so much the story arcs. Pacing would be an issue for sure. Also there are a lot of fans of the game franchise, but is it big enough to support a high budget movie (or movie franchise)?

That's why I think if they did one it should just be Dredd 2012 but with MGS stuff.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The part at the beginning of Godzilla 14 when they're inside the massive dead creature is so good. I really appreciated that the film didn't waste a lot of time with folks being skeptical of stuff and just opens up with like yep, there's some fuckin' huge monsters.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I think the way they've created this "cinematic universe" or whatever with the Monarch through-line in Godzilla and Skull Island has been really good. I love government conspiracy stuff like that, doubly so if the story involves them hiding some awesome poo poo like giant monsters.

Waffleman_ posted:

Also the fact that it's basically just The Godzilla Series Featuring King Kong keeps the universe from getting bloated.

E: That isn't to say that I'd be against a Gamera or two being added in the mix.

Same here. I think the monsters being huge monsters helps a lot too. You don't need an origin story because they're huge fuckin' monsters that have been around forever what more is there to know, and they don't need character development in the traditional sense because when well designed they meet that midpoint of being an animal but with enough personality that your mind projects and fills in the rest the same way we do with our pets or whatever.

I love the part in 14 when Godzilla is like, confusedly examining the bridge cables in his hand briefly (completely wrecking the bridge/etc. in the process) before continuing on his way. Like he's perceiving for the first time that there's stuff in the world that's not natural scenery or huge monsters.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I think a better way to look at it is that the dead creature found with the MUTO cocoon at the beginning is Godzilla's mate, thereby giving him and Cranston the same exact quest of revenge and linking them thematically.

This is supported by all three of these identifying with each other for a second towards the end. We get the human realizing the MUTOs have no malice and are just trying to get their children to survive like he is, and then the awesome shot where him and Godzilla are on the same level for a bit and briefly make eye contact right after.

Like the movie doesn't have magic shrinking twins telepathically explaining to how how Godzilla is doing but they really got a lot of personality out of him in 14 to me.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/narcokitty404/status/1003064872731578368

I very much like the idea of Godzilla's career path being a lot like Elvis' and he's just in a lot of 60s beach movies.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/narcokitty404/status/1003064872731578368

I very much like the idea of Godzilla's career path being a lot like Elvis' and he's just in a lot of 60s beach movies.

One of the Ultraman TV shows does the toy selling thing where instead of killing or pushing back monster attacks they shrink them down (into toys you can buy in stores today!!!!!) and put them in stasis until such a time that humans and monsters from other planets can live in peace together. Anyway I just like there are some not much larger than human sized monsters in a few episodes that are retired from the whole planet invading thing and they just have an apartment in some Tokyo suburb and run a local soccer club or something.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I mean a solo movie as in he's the one monster Godzilla fights? That's hardly anything new, his debut film is even called Ghidorah, The Three-Headed Monster.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Maybe ghidorah is the antagonist and it's just a regular people vs. kaiju film?

I actually wouldn't at all mind regarding Shin Godzilla if instead of it getting a sequel it gets one-off flicks with the different monsters where each one is critical of some aspect of humanity or another.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Chronojam posted:

So four dainty vestigial legs hang down? That's pretty creepy.

They should get whoever designed the baby Godzilla in Shin Godzilla to design it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

A Godzilla to surpass Metal Gear...

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

K. Waste posted:

I couldn't say, I can't find any reference for the illustrator. I just saw it on Toho Kingdom years ago and thought, "Man, that'd own."

It is by Yoji Shinkawa. It's pretty awesome honestly though I do have a preference for the bulkier Godzilla designs - I'm sure that's a big part of why I loved the Legendary one so much.

I feel like if you make Godzilla's profile too thin or his limbs too lanky you'd have to work even harder on getting his movement and anatomy down in such a way that he doesn't come off as too humanoid like a generic lizard man or oni/ogre kind of monster. Or maybe go more out there and have him be thin but give him even bigger back plates and a huge tail or something. Honestly I'd love to see an attempt at it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

FooF posted:

(I keep fearing that this movie will completely nuke my hope for Godzilla vs. Kong. If Godzilla can stop something on the scale of Ghidorah, what the hell is Kong going to do, or at least, how ham-fisted and arbitrary will the plot be that Godzilla is challenged by him?)

Ideal surprise scenario, Godzilla CAN'T stop something on the scale of Ghidorah alone and her entire speech happens halfway through the movie and is in reference to awakening King Kong.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

Looks like Mike Dougherty is going all out with his nerd references in this

https://twitter.com/TheSpencerPerry/status/1021054343208939521?s=19

If you thought Schrader and Harlin's prequel takes took some liberties......

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Someone was saying eco terrorist character has a device that lets her communicate or somehow understand the kaiju? If that's true and the device isn't literally the twins in that box why even film the movie?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah for real in terms of licensing stuff you do not even breathe the word Godzilla without Toho being cool with it. I do think after how Shin Godzilla came out they might want to try to make something that's Actually Good again, like Babysitter Super Sleuth says instead of just dumping out NHK filler like Shin Godzilla was meant to be. If that's the case it's probably less that they "can't" release it until the Legendary run is up but probably want to space it out a bit to be its own thing or wait until Anno and whomever else helped make Shin Godzilla awesome can come together again.

Plus either way it might take some time to get a story down. I mean the way Shin Godzilla ended? Godzilla waking up again would be some beyond apocalyptic stuff, like the world would basically end. IIRC the rumor when it was first announced they were doing another one was that the same designs would be used but it would be a sort of standalone thing in the same style?

Budget wise it would be impossible but it would be great if something in the style of the recent Godzilla anime was done with this one where it's just like, gently caress it, it's the far future and we super advanced technology and travel the stars and stuff but gently caress you Godzilla is back.

I mean don't tell me you wouldn't kill for an Anno directed huge budget flick with this setup that, unlike the anime, doesn't suck:

quote:

In the last summer of the 20th century, giant monsters began appearing all over the world and wreaking havoc. A powerful creature called Godzilla appeared which destroyed humans and monsters alike. Two species of aliens, the Exif and the Bilusaludo, arrived with the former attempting to convert humanity to their religion and the latter seeking to emigrate to Earth with promises to defeat Godzilla with Mechagodzilla, should humanity accept them. However, the Bilusaludo were unable to activate Mechagodzilla, which forced the aliens and humanity to abandon Earth and emigrate to Tau Ceti e via the Aratrum.

20 years later and 11.9 light years away, Captain Haruo Sakaki locks himself in a shuttle, threatening to bomb the area unless the Aratrum leaves Planet Tau-e and abandons the emigration project. Haruo believes the planet is uninhabitable and the emigration crew only consists of the elderly, including his grandfather, because he believes the Aratrum's committee are trying to reduce the population due to limited resources. Haruo fails, is arrested and thrown in a cell where he witnesses the emigration shuttle exploding upon leaving the planet.

Metphies, an Exif priest, visits Haruo, where he hands him classified data regarding Godzilla. Haruo anonymously publishes an essay detailing Godzilla's weak points, which convinces the central committee to return to Earth after concluding that finding another habitable planet seems unlikely. Upon returning to Earth, the Aratrum sends recon drones to scout the Earth which reveal that Godzilla is still alive.

Metphies explains to the committee that they cannot co-exist with Godzilla and suggests killing it. He also explains that the anonymous essay was the result of a thorough investigation, promising to reveal the author under the condition that Haruo is released. Haruo is released on bail and explains to the committee that a certain unknown organ in Godzilla's body can emit a high frequency electromagnetic pulse that generates an asymmetrical permeable shield. Haruo proposes shoving an EMP probe within the cracked organ before it regenerates so Godzilla can implode. However, Haruo stresses that close quarters combat would be needed for accurately coordinated attacks in order to find its weak organ, as well as 600 people.

The committee reluctantly accepts Haruo's plan. However, upon landing two battalions on Earth, it is discovered that 20,000 years have passed and that Godzilla's presence has radically altered Earth's biosphere. The battalions are attacked by a group of flying creatures called Servums that exhibit biological similarities to Godzilla, causing critical damage to several of the landing ships. Leland, the company's commander, orders a retreat but Metphies stresses that they would need to rendezvous with Companies D and E through a pass in an area Godzilla frequents.

The group mobilizes and soon encounter Godzilla. Haruo proceeds with the original plan on his own and attacks Godzilla. Leland manages to provoke Godzilla to use its atomic breath, but at the cost of his life. Leland's actions reveal that Godzilla's weak point is its dorsal fins. Command falls to Metphies, who promotes Haruo to commander. In a speech, Haruo convinces the remaining survivors to continue with the plan and defeat Godzilla.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 24, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

It was posted somewhere earlier in the thread, but I think the plan is no direct follow-up to Shin (probably a good idea) and they're focusing on relaunching an extended universe like every other company in the world.

I'm surprised this didn't happen earlier, didn't everyone else drop a Gamera and Ultraman etc. movie around the same time as Shin Godzilla?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Cythereal posted:

I think the critique on nuclear weapons and disasters is a very specifically Japanese thing. It's a message that would never resonate with American audiences, and I think Legendary did a good job of adapting the spirit of Godzilla. Americans aren't scarred as a culture by nuclear weapons and fear their use again, Americans are worried about ecological apocalypse, unstoppable forces we can barely comprehend that don't even notice the humans dying by the score in their wake. Both takes are ultimately concerned with humans unleashing forces we can't control or stop.

Because let's be honest: that was extremely 60s Japan and wouldn't fly with American audiences. I'd expect a joke like that, like maybe the Monarch scientists in charge of the Mothra facility are identical twins, but according to the actress in the interview where she talked about the device, she said was based on sonic waves - the same kind of stuff Cranston's character in G14 was playing with, the way the Mutos communicated.

Uh the twins chat with Mothra by singing?

I know it won't happen but I can dream. :(

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

It's hard to imagine shin Godzilla throwing down with king Ghidorah or wrestling Rodan. I think they'll need a new design if they're going to do G v

It would be expensive but the best way would be if they took Shin Godzilla's changing and more grotesque nature to the extreme to turn that into an advantage, like make him a little more fragile to attacks from giant monsters but if he's ripped open the hordes of fused bodies that have merged with him meld back together or he grows in some weird way.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

If the rumors that farmiga has built a machine to communicate with “titans” are true, I suspect she’s been hoodwinked. The machine does nothing and the Devil is visiting her in her dreams

That's some straight up 40K poo poo. In Warhammer 40K Mars is where all the weapons and stuff are designed because deep within the planet there's an ancient slumbering metal dragon war god thing and just being within a few thousand miles of it influences your thoughts and inspires more efficient/devious ideas in the faithful for how to kill people.

I mean it's not because 40K ripped off everything in it from other sci-fi stuff but that was the first thing it made me think of.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 25, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Cythereal posted:

The Monarch AR stuff also indicates that some kaiju have been active long before Godzilla woke up, with the earliest suspected modern kaiju being active in the 19th century (strongly implied to be Hedorah, no less).

That's kind of brilliant because it would mean the smog pollution monster became active right after the industrial revolution.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

I actually liked that it was very uprite and architectural in it's final form. Gave Godzilla a kind of unnatural menace. To me, the stiffness plus the hands give off this feeling that existing is painful for him. The lower forms feel that way too but in a more spazzy way. maybe there's something there about shin Godzilla's nature.

Also noticed how much he moved when raging out at being actually hurt to then freezing solid to recover. Like an earthquake or something.

Still can't see him holding down a muto and blasting off it's face.

I liked it too, I mean it was obviously a budget limitation but it was used to the advantage of the movie making him such a monumental thing. But it still stands out a little bit compared to how dense the tadpole form is and the little details in its movement and how gross it was. Holy poo poo that thing was amazing.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Gareth Edwards' Evangelion

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

This is how Trump got elected imo.

Please don't insult Godzilla like this. :(

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

BUT BARAGON'S EMAILS!!

Watch Mothra start a war with Syria.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

K. Waste posted:

That's not what cult means.

All religions newer than Christianity are a cult - CineD

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Not even a rad poster could get me excited about those putrid animes.

We only watched the first one here and like, talk about bad. Waste of a really cool premise honestly.

Timby posted:

It's all I want. I just want to see a gigantic, enormous, horrifying King Ghidorah.

Edit: And after they said they tested the roar of Godzilla 2014 and measured it at 50 miles away, I want the King to have the most horrifying scream as he unleashes his lightning breath poo poo.

IIRC he's so big the environmental disaster thing with him is that where Godzilla causes a typhoon just by walking out of the water, Ghidora's generates a huge hurricane around him whenever he's flying like not as an attack he's just that big that he has that much of an effect on the climate. I'm super hyped.

I like their :technobabble: reason for how he works too, the "aerodynamics" of his body and him being like the other ancient monsters with how they can consume electricity/radiation/etc. is what causes there to be lightning around him and stuff, but due to his aeons of being buried and compressed within the earth trace amounts of gold line his body makes him naturally conducive enough that he figured out he can spit "gold gravity beams" at people. I don't mind if poo poo is never explained but I appreciate the effort here a lot to justify A HUGE GOLDEN THREE HEADED DRAGON GOD THAT SPITS LIGHTNING.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

But yeah, the entire MonsterVerse exists solely in service of this movie, so where do you go from there?

This is part of why that Godzilla anime was such a frustrating let down. The idea is such a perfect endgame "Godzilla happened and is truly King of the Monsters, now what?" scenario that allows for all kinds of cool poo poo, but then we got what we got.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Cythereal posted:

For one thing, they're the ones who know where the kaiju are. Except for Godzilla, they're all dormant, locked away in stasis.

For another, the human villain is a Monarch scientist who's come to revere the kaiju and believe they must be set free - the actress said in one interview that her character has a machine based on Cranston's sonic wave communication stuff in G14 that lets her communicate with the kaiju.

They're also apparently the ones who find Godzilla and get him to go fight the other kaiju that ecoterrorist lady is waking up.

I know they won't be cool enough to do it but saying it's sonic waves, like they gotta just say gently caress it and she just has a box with the twins in it to sing to Mothra.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

duz posted:

It's actually going to be a custody battle over the Mothra Larva ala Kramer vs Kramer.

It must still have some remnants of Marty DiBergi's unfilmed Kramer vs. Kramer vs. Godzilla script.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

CityMidnightJunky posted:

What I love about how massive, and loving terrifying, Ghidorah is, is that it genuinely makes me want to see Godzilla kick his rear end. It's like 101 pro wrestling booking, the plucky babyface who picks a fight with the nastiest prick in the room to prove what a badass he is.

Yeah I was going to say, every frame of Ghidorah makes him look like a world-ending humanity is screwed existential threat tier monster compared, it's really impressive.