Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick
I've kinda felt for a while that Gojira is as much a reflection of the nuclear attacks on Japan as he is the horror Imperial Japan inflicted on East Asia during the early stages of the war. The decision whether or not to use the Oxygen Destroyer mirrors the decision to drop the bomb, though Serizawa has the hindsight of the arms race it sparked and knows the OD will trigger another.

Likewise in 1984, he's a stand-in for uncontrolled growth or growth for it's own sake. Namely, economic growth. In an inversion from the first film, the buildings in downtown Tokyo now dwarf him. Traffic congestion prevents people from evacuating, a homeless man wanders through the rubble acting like nothing's changed, the main character is unscrupulous in his search for a decent scoop, etc... I like to think of it as the Koyaanisqatsi of kaiju movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick
The aliens who turn into Ape-Men when you kill them in Mechagodzilla were badass.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

Maxwell Lord posted:

That's such a wonderfully freaky moment when the first one is revealed. G vs MG may be the best installment of the 70s, as artistic as Hedorah is.

It's honestly a really lovely movie.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick
I believe that's also the one where Godzilla and Anguirus talk to each other.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick
It should be mentioned that Shinji Higuchi, the VFX director, was responsible for arguably the best looking suitmation ever in Gamera 3 and is likely to top himself here. The shot of the tail swinging over the houses in the trailer is spectacular.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Raids Again is really, really, really bad.

The scenes they accidentally speed-ramped are pretty cool, but yeah.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

Maxwell Lord posted:

The Gamera movies are better than the Heisei Godzillas, but there are some very good films in that series too and the average quality is pretty solid. Godzilla and Mothra is the weakest (others say Space Godzilla but that has a certain look and atmosphere that I like) but even that's pretty good.

One advantage the Gamera trilogy had- apart from Kaneko just having a great visual sense in general- was that the monsters were all about half as large as the ones in the Heisei Godzilla series (a 50m scale vs 100m.) This meant the miniature buildings and such could be larger and more detailed, and it made it easier to have scenes where the humans interact with them. Kaneko is fond of ground-level views of the monster stuff, which also is a big part of what makes GMK effective.

Gamera 3 in particular just didn't seem to have that many miniature sets at all, using mostly composite work against real-world backdrops meaning the ones they do have are absolutely wonderful. The Kyoto train station might be the best I've seen period, and the way it breaks apart is unreal for a movie with that kind of budget*. Compare that to a lot of the Heisei Godzillas that usually had a whole tiny downtown to fool around in.

*one of my favorite things from the behind-the-scenes footage available is that in order to get all the debris in the foreground for the shot where Gamera and Iris crash through the station, they just basically threw some rocks in front of a greenscreen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

Crash74 posted:

new godzilla looking p good