Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

Re: Godzilla 2014, eh, the human plot was dumb dumb dumb, but the monster plot was pretty great.

They are connected and cannot be separated like you are trying to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

I'm always fascinated by all the films that Toho ALMOST made with Kaiju. Like, how in the early stages of Godzilla Vs Space Godzilla, it was instead Godzilla vs Bagan, to the point where Toho Studios has a fully built Bagan suit sitting on display, and the Super Nintendo Godzilla game that came out around then still has Bagan as the final baddie.

And Godzilla's final form was basically space Godzilla with tusks and poo poo instead of crystals. I played that game a ton even though it was really bad.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

The REAL Goobusters posted:

E: Anyway the new movie looks loving awesome. All the tank and anti-air missile shots were straight out of evangelion for loving sure. Anno is going to go crazy on this one.

You know Godzilla movies had those kinds of shots decades before Evangelion right?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

The allusions don't necessarily need to be instant killers. Pollution doesn't instantly kill people, but that doesn't make it less dangerous.

...if Hedorah was eating pollution, why was it necessary to kill him again?

He was spreading it everywhere.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

Mothra is a he.

Moths who lay eggs are usually female.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

HannibalBarca posted:

depends on the era/series, I think.

They always refer to Mothra as she if they do mention her gender.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Um sorry but Final Wars has Don Frye which puts it at least on the top 5 Godzilla films.

Also, Gary Goodridge and Funaki.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I disagree

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Bimmi posted:

Yeah, I hosed up by making it sound like I was badmouthing Harryhausen. He's great but his monsters generally don't have that classic kaiju eiga feel to 'em and I submit that this doesn't either:

Ultraman I will not defend. Loved that poo poo as a kid, but try to tell me with a straight face that all those Ultra monsters aren't silly as hell.

You could have at least posted the model of the actual creature.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Bimmi posted:

Maybe you could oblige me since I've never seen one?

You could just look up Stan Winston Godzilla and easily find it. I'm phone posting or I'd do it.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 6, 2016

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Glamorama26 posted:

The intergalactic space rooster loving rules.

Megalon and Gigan's friendship is really fun. Also, that Ghidorah probably doesn't like him, but gently caress, he just can't stand by and watch Big G whoop his rear end. Gigan's like his well meaning loser cousin.

Now I'm imagining them as polack dock workers in Baltimore.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
http://i.imgur.com/EnjSbKY.mp4

Oh hell it's the holidays have another one:
http://i.imgur.com/KKnJptl.mp4

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 26, 2016

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
http://i.imgur.com/sf6FwWt.mp4

I have too much free time today.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Fsmhunk posted:

Somebody make a gif from GMK where Godzilla lazily scratches the side of his face like a big fat slob for me as an avatar.

If you give me a timestamp or narrow it down to a section of the movie I'll see what I can do.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I love everything about this movie but the Zilla / Godzilla fight is my favorite part.

http://i.imgur.com/Kfa3Uut.mp4

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Fsmhunk posted:

It's a little over an hour in, where mothra flies over his head and he's just like "Huh, weird"

Quick and dirty

I don't like the suits in GMK very much. They seemed so rigid and cheap.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I was thinking the fruit and was imagining a really tasty version of Biollante.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Original design will always be my favorite. They got the weasel ears just right.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
There were other ones at least.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Seemlar posted:

The plot on this one is a doozy. It's about humanity having fled the Earth in ark ships after losing a 50 year war against Kaiju, now returning to try and retake a world that's been ruled by Godzilla for 20,000 years.

I am completely down for Godzilla vs Macross.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
That's Don Frye, pal.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Yeah that dude made good movies and vs Hedorah owned.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Final Wars was solid gold and I won't hear a bad word about it.

If you don't want a Godzilla movie like Final Wars every once in a while what are you even doing here?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

he even hated Don Frye, how the gently caress do you hate Don Frye

Preposterous

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
It sounds like the Age of Exploration but instead of conquistadors it's kaiju and instead of smallpox and brutal oppression it's atomic breath.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Being set on fire multiple times is bad for the skin.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Mechafunkzilla posted:

But it's Anguirius and Baragon and they lose badly

Ghidorah and the Space Grifters

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Maybe they'll find more of Tenochtitlan while they're at it.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Mothra dying all the time is kind of her deal. She better die in the new one.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 19, 2017

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I don't get it.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Ah Okay I was aware of everything but the Pope connection.

Now I'm imagining the Dia de los Muertos scene from BvS but with Godzilla.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
One of the main human plot lines in Gojira is a love triangle. That is pretty upfront right from the start

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
And his movies make a lot of money.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Poison brands usually don't make millions of dollars over and over and over.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Godzilla vs Barkley

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Remember when Godzilla spat nuclear fire down that giant monster's throat? That owned.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Yeah Big Moth, Gorilla-Whale and Big Shrimp are truly inspired names.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

K. Waste posted:

Words have meaning.

You say this after explaining away the meaning of words. Mothra absolutely means big moth because shes a giant loving moth. It can be a character name too and your false dichotomy is really dumb.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

K. Waste posted:

Mothra is not a big moth.

Word?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

K. Waste posted:

Yes. Mothra is more or less like a moth or a butterfly, containing features of both, but is neither.

More importantly, "Mothra" still does not mean "big moth." This is still something you just made up.

Mothra is still a giant moth, just like Godzilla is a giant dinosaur. You're acting like this is some taxonomic thing. It isn't. The character Mothra is a giant moth, her name literally means big moth, Anguirus is based on the ankylosaurus in name and design, Ebirah is a giant crustacean because Ebirah means giant shrimp, Hedorah means sludge or something so that's what the smog monster is named. These are established patterns that you're desperately trying to disregard to fit your arbitrary naming scheme. It's sad.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Nov 30, 2017