Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Godzilla is rad as gently caress. Kaiju movies in general are like alternate universes where being a Cthulu cultist is the morally correct choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Godzilla and King Kong should have teamed up to take down the REAL villian: humanity.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Spider-Man shows up in 2nd act, is immediately crushed.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Anything directed by Ishiro Honda + Smog Monster.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Honestly I disagree. Showa era is much more fun and probably closer to what you expect/want out of a Godzilla film. Hesei movies feel like bad anime if you watch them as an adult.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I kind of like the big sequence in Raids where Godzilla destroys Osaka. Its pretty much a lesser version of the similar scene in the first movie, but its still pretty neat.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

K. Waste posted:

It's almost like Godzilla fans don't really like Godzilla.

On the other hand, the most interesting (and sympathetic) character in Godzilla films is Godzilla.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Phone posted:

"There weren't as many Americans in this film than what I'd like and it's kind of hard to read with all of those Japanese speaking their gobbly gook. 3/5 stars"

"He said something in Chinese like, 'Boo coo sow!', sounded like some cartoon poo poo. But I understood it to be a question that he was asking. And I don't have to know how to speak Chinese to know what that question was. 'Why, Godzilla? Why?'"

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 7, 2016

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I don't know, Godzilla's Revenge is really dire.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

He wasn't a nutbar. He just came off as one because people aren't inclined to believe "giant monsters exist".

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Their version of Godzilla is death metal as gently caress.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Everyone on earth has mutated into tiny godzillas and Godzilla has turned into a giant, frozen naked man.

only if he's played by a lizard in a rubber man suit

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Honestly, I would prefer it if the alien monsters were still aliens. There's this screenwriting 101 thing in modern Hollywood where every fantastical element has to come from the same source, or the characters have to be related in some way, and its kind of crap.

e: So you can't have "ancient monsters are awakening on Earth" and "aliens are invading" as two different plot devices because that's too many disparate elements or whatever.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Ghidorah is the reason for the Fermi Paradox and humanity has to beg Earth's kaiju that it is worthy of saving.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Fear of the Smog Monster is why I am an environmentalist today.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

K. Waste posted:

Adam's playing himself, Kong totally won in '62. It's that movie frames this as a hollow victory because mankind is the real monster.

I've said it before, but the good ending to Kong vs Godzilla would be the kaiju teaming up to take down humanity.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

That wasn't true for the original film though. Godzilla didn't become the savior of mankind until later and King Kong was always an exploited victim.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

ElCondemn posted:

Consider this, there are probably more fans of the prequel star wars films than of the original trilogy. Just as there will be more fans of the current generation of Star Wars films than of any of the previous films.

Naw. CineD goons have the weird belief that dislike of the prequels is confined to internet nerds and not a common opinion.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

The lowest reported age is 18-29, so the survey is already discounting a significant fraction of fans, and specifically the fans most likely to be unbiased of the prequels.

Children aren't people.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They haven't added anything narratively so far. Maybe someday they'll be building mechs and super weapons for Godzilla to trash, like G Force.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Its unnecessary though. The throughline is giant monsters existing. Not every shared universe needs a SHIELD analogue.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Her name is Mom Mothra.

Anyways, as far as new Kaiju names go, I thought Skullcrawlers was pretty good and John C Reilly's character shouldn't have been so ashamed of it!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Not to be confused with Bigger Mothra, an entity that appears in some shots of Godzilla vs The Thing.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

That's what happens in Godzilla X Mechagodzilla (2002). They build MechaG around the skeleton of the original Godzilla from the 1954 film, only for it to become possessed. So yes, you have Ghost Robot Godzilla.

Unfortunately the movie is pretty meh.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

If you want to see another trippy Japanese one, go watch The Smog Monster.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I think the one in the back might be taking growth hormones, idk.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Teenage Fansub posted:

Vs Hedorah is the best Godzilla sequel and I don't need no robots to let me know that it's weird and funny thank you very much :colbert:

He means Gamera, and is right.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I think Space Godzilla suffered the worst from the "immobile monsters shooting laser beams at each other because we made the suits too bulky" problem the Heisei films had.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

I still don't get how they handwaved away all the fallout that would have come from detonating a nuke in a boat half a mile out from San Francisco. There's already an explanation from Godzilla vs Destroyah that Godzilla could absorb the radiation to heal himself and prevent fallout, but Legendary Goji just wakes up like he had a bad hangover and goes back to the ocean with no mention of the damage a multi megaton bomb would have going off nearby a populated city.

Fallout is the result of radioactive debris falling back to earth, right? An explosion at sea probably wouldn't produce much.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Godzilla has two natures joined in a single hypostasis. The first is the physical, mortal Godzillasaurus, the last of his kind (before the incarnation of Godzilla Jr). The second is the divine godforce, the unstoppable embodiment of the nuclear age. The flesh of Godzilla may be used to create new life, as in the G-Cells that made Biollante and Space Godzilla, or the skeleton that made Kiryu, but both of these lacked access to the divine Logos and thus aren't really Godzilla. Post Resurrection Godzilla of 1984, however, was the same being as the 1954 Goji and retained both natures.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 13, 2018

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Godzilla 98 I've always enjoyed as a proper kaiju film. Even as a kid I felt odd referring to the title monster as Godzilla, since it seemed too different, but they nailed the inherently sympathetic nature these movies have for their monsters. The egg surviving at the end would be, in most movies, a frightening cliffhanger. In Godzilla its a positive ending. Its hopeful. The cartoon sequel picked up on that and ran with it.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

G14's plot was fine, but I prefer my human plots in Kaiju films to involve crazy sci fi plots about cockroach aliens.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

There are no bad Godzilla movies.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Could be worse, the script for the 1994 American Godzilla movie involved an alien invasion, a pre-humanity lost civilization on Earth, and mutants.

That sounds amazing.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I didn't exactly want a direct followup to Shin, but I wouldn't have minded if they did more weird one offs instead of trying to directly compete with the Hollywood films.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I like the movie, but it really didn't live up to how good the trailers were.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

"Say my name."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-CvNxRs5Zs
"You're goddamn right"

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Yep, its a Ghidorah.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

No one cares about Monarch. Even the characters in the movies barely care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The other SNES Godzilla game, the Japanese fighting game, was the first ROM I ever downloaded as a kid. It's a lot better than Super Godzilla.