Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Wasn't the point of Godzilla 2014 was that he was in fact an apex predator and that is why he went after the Mutoids, or whatever the gently caress they were called.

Davros1 posted:

I find this the case for every Godzilla film, really.

I liked the human parts in Godzilla Final Wars if only because they were peak anime. I love Godzilla.

My fave godzilla still might be Godzilla vs King Ghidorah. Go back in time, replace the original and create a more hosed up hydra monster. Nope, create a new Godzilla. Oh, you killed Ghidorah, NOPE. Mecha Ghidorah, fuckers.

Also still love how some of the newer Kiryu Mechagodzillas are referred to as mechanized weapons built around the genetic skeleton of the original, and then there's essentially a ghost in the machine moment where it remembers what it was, and goes on a loving spree til the next Godzilla fights it. Batshit amazing idea for a new twist on the original Mecha, which partially why I love Godzilla flicks--much like Mad Max, there's an origin point and then several branching possible stories for how things play out. I loved how poo poo like SMechagodzilla was reimagined.

I liked 2014's movie but didn't really love the Mutoids. I'm really looking forward to either the next American flick bringing in Ghidora and/or Mothra, or Shin Godzilla being some new take on Destroyah by actually morphing this heat-death Godzilla into another horrifying satan monster. I'm assuming Shin is yet another "pure sequel" in that it comes directly after the original story? Or is it an entirely new take?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Detective Dog Dick posted:

I've kinda felt for a while that Gojira is as much a reflection of the nuclear attacks on Japan as he is the horror Imperial Japan inflicted on East Asia during the early stages of the war. The decision whether or not to use the Oxygen Destroyer mirrors the decision to drop the bomb, though Serizawa has the hindsight of the arms race it sparked and knows the OD will trigger another.

Likewise in 1984, he's a stand-in for uncontrolled growth or growth for it's own sake. Namely, economic growth. In an inversion from the first film, the buildings in downtown Tokyo now dwarf him. Traffic congestion prevents people from evacuating, a homeless man wanders through the rubble acting like nothing's changed, the main character is unscrupulous in his search for a decent scoop, etc... I like to think of it as the Koyaanisqatsi of kaiju movies.

1984's film is especially fun for me because the nukes that the Soviets/USA launch cause enough EMP to revive Godzilla yet again after they legit knock him out with heartstopper cadmium bizarro missiles. Nuclear power yet again fucks things up even after they used a better method to counter the rampage.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I hope the american films pull in some kind of Gigan if only because he is the most unholy abomination in the films. I loved how he was brought back after so many years for Final Wars as the penultimate challenger before "monster X."

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla and Terror of Mechagodzilla are both really dope, I should rewatch those soon.

Anguiras getting the holy hell beaten out of him by Mechagodzilla is still startling, even though taking a beating is kind of Anguiras' thing.

I always think about when Anguirus walks into Gigan's buzzsaw stomach in one of the movies and just squirts gallons of blood from his face. Dude gets hosed up a lot.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Shin Gojira-san will be a bit of a different beast than the Legendary pix movie. If shots of the movie are to be believed than this is going to be a horrifying evolutionary journey wherein Godzilla melts down and keep regenerating. I'm guessing that's why he might still have bony little arms.

Ironically if you are looking for more monsters, I think the next American movie will have Ghidorah and friends in it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Godzilla is the villain in both GxMG and Tokyo SOS as well.

Also, on this note, I've rarely been more disappointed in a movie than when I found out GMK was originally envisioned as 'VBA': Varan, Baragon, and Anguirus teaming up to take down Godzilla.

gotta love how poor Baragon was one of the legendary monsters and they couldn't even namedrop him in the title.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

King Kong isn't even that big, it's non-canon

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Davros1 posted:

But electricity makes Kong stronger!

Don't forget getting wasted as gently caress on berry juice. I feel like we learned so much about Kong in that movie

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

tix showed up at Drafthouse theaters today, was lucky to snag some

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Saw this at Drafthouse tonight. loving incredible, love how they take ideas about evolution to a terrifying degree with this. It was a fantastic "return to form" thing that evoked a lot of ideas in the original yet still bringing in enough new poo poo to justify its creation. The cinematography and shots were just overall fantastic, I loved how much of an idiot god Godzilla seems to be, from his writhing gross first form to his ambling, blank fish-eyed trudging. The ending was similarly horrifying, if only for the implications. One of my friends said she'd never seen a Godzilla film before this one--not sure she needs to see any others after this one, it was such a great mix of political intrigue, opinion on nuclear weaponry, and our state as beings on earth in general. Maybe I just love it too much but man, this was a great Godzilla movie and I loved it way more than the 2014 one--this one gets that it's not just about seeing 2 big creatures fighting, and how Godzilla is a absolutely not a "hero."

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Phone posted:

I just remembered one of the funny parts from the movie.

After the special task force bureau is assembled, and the one guy makes a discovery, shrieks while he spins in his chair, and then yells a bit and runs around the room with his laptop.

I love gags like that.

Yeah this and the "soggy noodle" bit got laughs in the place.

Also the music in this was utterly wonderful. The original score was great and I loved how they said gently caress it and put in the mono mix of all 3-4 Godzilla leitmotifs and beats, even using the sound effects of the explosions and weapons from the old movies. Aesthetically it was an awesome experience--I especially loved the shock of his emergence at night. It was far cooler than the atomic breath scene in the 2014 movie.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Again, Godzilla: Resurgence flatly disproves this.

yeah, the acting and the script in general for the 2014 movie was loving unbearable. Shin's whole cast and direction was leaps and bounds above the majority of Godzilla films in regards to the human element and the "political" factors.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Speaking of static shots though, the final one on the balcony with frozen Godzilla way off in the background next to the protagonist is aces.

I wish I could put that as my wallpaper, it was so loving good.

Going back and reading early reviews of this, I can't believe how loving bad some are. The one from Kotaku is especially bad, going to the tiring "wahhhh they talked too much" poo poo, which is pretty much the first way you can tell a reviewer's opinion on Godzilla is worthless.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I wasn't talking about a diegetic explanation for why his tail looks like that.

I'm glad we were all ashamed of our words and deeds for questioning the phallic nature of his tail, when it turns out it actually spurts the demon seed of the idiot god

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I, Butthole posted:

A reference to the worst Godzilla movie in the best Godzilla movie?

The final shot's purpose has absolutely nothing to do with the '98 movie and everything to do with being earned by way of all the talk on how Godzilla is an evolving creature whose nature is to survive and promulgate. Can't say I thought it was dumb, actually thought it was pretty freaky to think that in its death throes of being frozen, it still tried to fight back by becoming the thing that defeated it--a collective.

Also references Evangelion poo poo more than the old 98 movie, if anything---angels and EVE and all that poo poo.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

does anyone know if the blu-ray/dvd release coming out on Amazon tomorrow has original japanese with english subs on it? not sure if it comes with that option.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Yea ok, message received. I only bring up Godzilla 14 as like a baseline of quality where anything at the same level or better would definitely be a day-1 buy for me. I thought Kong was better, for example.

if you love Godzilla then Shin Godzilla is absolutely a must-watch

Waffleman_ posted:

If you're talking about the American Funimation release, it'll have it. They're good about dual audio.

Thanks!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Movie's still good. The shot of Goji's tail at the end is still fuckin' chilling and I can't wait for 2.

Wasn't the second Anno Godzilla debunked due to it being taken out of translation context?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

watched the bluray last night, just as great as I remember---although the soundtrack was much louder and prominent in the theater. girlfriend immediately paused and rewound the movie at the credits just to see that final shot, I loving love how freaky it is.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

I did have this vague sense that I was missing something by not being able to catch all of those job titles that kept coming up on the screen but when I rewatch I'll pay extra attention to it.

I finally caught the best one: when Rando is at the secondary base after Godzilla destroys the city, and his title pops up with a comical amount of inherited titles he now holds after surviving the attack.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Wild Horses posted:

the reactor inside him was cooling down so he was trying to "abandon ship" with a bunch of tiny humanoids.
although they might still be like 12 feet tall it's hard to get a scale

The idea of him evolving to match the thing that was defeating him is probably the correct take especially because his tail looks so phallic in this movie. He's spurting new life out that thing and figured this was the next step. First you walk upright then you eject supersmart monsters next.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Not gonna lie, I'd love to see Gigan's hosed-up rear end return in a future movie if only because he is SO WEIRD. He was part of some truly awful movies but at least Final Wars acknowledged how terrifying he was and stuck him in as the midboss of the finale.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Inescapable Duck posted:

Does make me wonder how the Legendaryverse will take on the weirder Kaiju, if at all.

Gigan and Megalon are definitely no-shows. we'd sooner see Gigan in a Japanese movie instead, more likely.

they could update the mechagodzilla take on it by trying to create a bio-mech Godzilla but it gets hosed up royal and need hand amputations and prosthetics, which leads to it looking like Gigan, but that wouldn't happen in Legendary pictures either

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Tommy 2.0 posted:

omg why does Godzilla make me so unreasonably hype

So does Pac Rim. Or basically any giant monster/robot media. Why? What THING in my brain is it attacking?

my favorite movies of last/this year so far have been Shin Godzilla and Colossal so I guess I'm the same

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Burkion posted:

Having watched Death Note now, I eagerly look forward to Godzilla VS Kong and all the stupid bullshit it will bring to us.

Please give me cheesy 80s love ballads as Godzilla violently murders Kong please

I'm of the opposite opinion. If Wingard let something that loving bad slip through then GvKong is going to suck poo poo. I expected bad but Death Note was on an altogether different plane of shockingly, amazingly bad. I couldn't believe the guy who made The Guest directed that poo poo.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I don't understand how Kong+Godzilla+Jaegers can all exist when King Kong is substantially smaller than the rest. Did they make him bigger in the Skull Island movie?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Monarch is a decent attempt at some kind of ARG/underlying thread for the movies but yeah it's boring as gently caress, which is a shame because the "human" elements of Shin Godzilla were great while they were a weakness in the Legendary Pictures film. If we're going to be following people around on the same scale as previous movies for the next go, I hope they get a way better cast/script/loving everything.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Choco1980 posted:

Well in vs gigan they communicated by radio and very carefully created prepared statements.

I love how in Megalon they just called up Space Hunter Nebula M and were like "uh can we borrow your hosed up chicken lizard" and it was like yeah no prob brah. If we're gonna get some kind of stinger for King of the Monsters or the Kong movie I hope it's a tease towards Gigan because I'd love to see that weird fucker come back in this decade.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Ghidorah's codename being "Monster Zero" is an awesome throwback. That plus the "Rodan has magma blood" and the potential for loving Gigan is getting me more excited for this movie.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Amechwarrior posted:

I just got to watch Shin Godzilla the same day the new Legendary trailer dropped. I'm excited for the Legendary film, but way more hyped for what comes next out of Toho after watching that. I even watched it again the next day and that's something I almost never do with any movie. Shin Godzilla really set the bar high for me, the cultural critique on nuclear weapons/disasters is something I think the American films leave behind or would have a very hard time adapting to the audience. That Evangelion music call back was unexpected but fitting given how much Anno applied the cinematography and special effects style from Eva on to the movie.

Is there a next step from Toho? I can't imagine they would hit it out of the park and rest on it while Legendary makes a modern expanded universe. Thinking about it, was Godzilla one of the first cinematic expanded universes? I think from the '84 on they were linked or sequential right? I remember the older ones also having all the monsters moved to that island to contain them together too.

I think Toho has to wait until Legendary is done with the current run or something, after 2020? There's some legal poo poo about it that I might be mistaken about. But yeah Shin Godzilla is incredible and is probably my favorite of the lot. I don't try to compare it to the Legendary movies though since they are night and day in terms of what they're portraying.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I like that Shin isn't getting a followup, it ends on a nice semifinal note and a fantastic parting shot. I always liked the era of Godzilla movies that were essentially "What if?" scenarios, in that many of them were self-contained sequels to the original Godzilla.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Console Role Player posted:

Shin-Godzilla chat: in the final part of the movie the scientist played by Shinya Tsukamoto mentions that he believes Shin-Godzilla is capable of evolving a "flying form" to travel across the globe. Combined with Shin Godzilla's final images, I've kinda interpreted this to mean that potential sequels could introduce creatures that "bud" from the main Godzilla body, evolving into familiar monsters like Ghidora, Gigan, what have you. It's dumb but at least it's different. I'd also be happy with just another film with a constantly evolving Godzilla transforming in to greater and more grotesque perversions of the iconic Godzilla design.

gently caress that would be so loving cool, I'm mad now that this probably will never happen. Gigan being retconned in this continuity into being the next evolution of Godzilla would be nuts.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

LesterGroans posted:

While I love Godzilla '14 I think the complaints about it are off-base but kind of accurate. Instead of more Godzilla action there should probably just be less human stuff. It could absolutely be a shorter film. It has the perfect amount of big old monster fightin' though.

the human element would be fine if it was interesting like in Shin Godzilla. Most of the movie not involving Cranston in G14 is excruciating to sit through and very color-by-numbers. Either go for extreme procedural aspects like Shin G or just go batshit insane like Final Wars.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Darko posted:

Internet critics just hate earnestness. Its a holdover from the millennial "try hard is bad" mentality where everything has to be self aware of how silly the premise is, instead of owning it.

which is weird because Mandy was a critical darling and pretty much owned it. I think they just got lucky though because you're not always gonna get the same reviewers every time. It sounds like a lot of boring white people got to review Godzilla this time around because lol at saying this could be as bad as the 1998 one

dentist toy box posted:

Never trust mainstream critics when it comes to Godzilla movies.

Shin Godzilla was the one that squeezed through with praise though tbh it also won the Japan equivalent of the Oscar for Best Picture so it was a big cut above a lot of the series.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

though I know Kong is probably the plan going forward I'm really hoping the next big thing is going to be Gigan, is who without a doubt next on the richter scale of Godzilla's more relevant baddies and has the most loving outlandish design of possibly any kaiju. Idk how you bring a chicken sea monster with a Cyclops visor with hook/chainsaw hands and a machine buzzaw stomach into this universe but gently caress it. Maybe they can do a reimagination of Mechagodzilla and just codename him "Gigan" to explain his robotic parts.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

my fave Godzilla is still Shin Godzilla and that arguably had the best "human plot" of any movie while also creating truly nightmarish Godzilla encounters but yeah, if you don't like Godzilla then you're going to rate it poorly no matter what. Whereas for Marvel films there's 400 reviews counted from every loving comicbookgeek dot com in existence.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

instead of the new monsters they want to do for whatever is next in Godzilla v Kong 2 they should have put aside their cowardice and run full bore with Gigan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

can't believe I got to see Shin Godzilla at Alamo when it released in the USA and now get to see Minus One in an NYC AMC, truly blessed.

Megalon short film made me wish we could maybe get an antagonist monster again in the future because goddamn that new design was amazing.