Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

This looks amazing and I cannot wait. But I highly disagree with your opinion of Godzilla 14. Edwards did a superb job of building up suspense and the slow burn paid off. That Godzilla was a force of nature and I think even more screen time would have cheapened it. At least in his first movie.

We are probably going to get more action if the rumors of Mothra, Rodan and King Ghidorah are in the next.

Godzilla is not a force of nature Godamnit! he is very explicitly a manmade force! the 2014 movie isn't a godzilla movie (it's a fine film but not a godzilla movie) it's a natural disaster flick where a lizard shaped hurricane comes in and kills some monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Choco1980 posted:

...so what you're telling us is that you've never seen the Heisei series. Gotcha.

show me the japanese film where godzilla is an "apex predator" instead of the result of a nuclear attack or weapon

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

wdarkk posted:

How about where he's the accumulated ghosts of the WW2 war dead?

you mean the one where the souls of the dead turn the weapon that killed them onto the nation that forgot them?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This trailer fucken rules.
Gojira 1984.

In Tokyo, Okamura realizes by looking at pictures that the monster he saw was a new Godzilla. Maki writes an article about the account, but the news of Godzilla's return is kept secret and his article is withheld. Maki visits Professor Hayashida, whose parents were lost in the 1954 Godzilla attack. Hayashida describes Godzilla as a living, invincible nuclear weapon able to cause mass destruction. At Hayashida's laboratory, Maki meets Okamura's sister, Naoko, and informs her that her brother is alive and at the police hospital.

A Soviet submarine is destroyed in the Pacific. The Soviets believe the attack was perpetrated by the Americans, and a diplomatic crisis ensues, which threatens to escalate into nuclear war.

wrong

and the 1954 one is so wrong that i can't wait to here your rebuttal

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Bob Quixote posted:

In Gojira he was just a dinosaur that was woken up/pissed off because of the nuclear weapon testing, but he wasn't created by it.

Short of Godzilla vs. King Ghidora giving Godzilla that origin story as a much smaller "Godzillasaurus" on an island somewhere that gets mutated to be huge I don't know of any other Japanese film where radiation is specifically the cause of his origin.

The 1998 Matthew Broderick film is explicitly that though.

nuclear weapons were his origin, he was created by it.

Godzilla's attack mirrors the same horrors the Japanese experienced near the end of World War II, with the Atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Producer Tomoyuki Tanaka stated that, "The theme of the film, from the beginning, was the terror of the bomb. Mankind had created the bomb, and now nature was going to take revenge on mankind."[11] Director Ishirō Honda filmed Godzilla's rampage on Tokyo with the mentality that the monster's onslaught was a parallel to, and a physical manifestation of, an Atom bomb attack. He stated, "If Godzilla had been a dinosaur or some other animal, he would have been killed by just one cannonball. But if he were equal to an atomic bomb, we wouldn't know what to do. So, I took the characteristics of an atomic bomb and applied them to Godzilla."[11]

godzilla is an atomic bomb given flesh.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

The 1954 Godzilla is an apex predator that is woken up by a bomb. Metaphorically, the creature represents Serizawa's research into the Oxygen Destroyer.

the oxegen destroyer is a bigger bomb, of course they represent each other.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

You are basing these assertions on a mix of wikipedia articles and fantasies.

The 'Oxygen Destroyer' is not a bomb, and the monster does not represent it.

The monster in the film represents pure drive - in this case the scientific drive to pursue knowledge for its own sake, regardless of the consequences.

the oxegen destroyer is basically a bomb

and yeah the two are the same, A thing which becomes a weapon and must be destroyed

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

However, in a more accurate sense, it isn't a bomb at all and you are unconcerned with whether what you are writing is true.

The Godzilla of 1954 had been worshiped as a pagan demon-god for untold centuries before the existence of nuclear weapons.

yeah nobody would ever compare the power of the atomic bomb to the power of the gods.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Right. So bombs are powerful and god is powerful, therefore people in biblical times worshiped the atomic bomb.

If i were to be cynical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Godzilla is global warming that's why he takes forever to get here :(