Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Beeez posted:

I also found Aaron Taylor Johnson's performance very boring

You only thought that because you weren't paying attention, if you'd watched the movie properly you would have realised it was in fact extremely boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Dylazodelan posted:

G'14 put on a clinic in terms of misleading marketing. The very first trailer, with Godzilla rising out of the rubble and Oppenheimer doing his "I am death" speech, prepared me to see a film where Godzilla was death incarnate and rearing to tear humanity a new one. Instead, he was pretty chill and only wrecked people and stuff when it was explicitly in his way (the shot with him being flanked by Navy ships was cool, but I feel like that wouldn't have flown with the Godzilla we were shown in the trailer).

Worked out great for me because I only ever saw that first trailer and I went in expecting a '54 retread, so when the MUTOs showed up and I realised Godzilla was going to be the good guy beating up other monsters I lost my poo poo

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BUTT posted:

So according to IMDB, Shinya Tsukamoto (of Tetsuo: The Iron Man fame) is acting in this?

:psyduck:

God I hope not. Tsukamoto in the original Tetsuo had an amazing presence, and seeing him in The Bullet Man as a middle aged dude with a beer gut was pretty :smith:, he'll be even worse now

Also watching the 2014 movie again right now and it holds up! Although Taylor-Johnson is still dull and the Yucca Mountain scene is still head-clutchingly stupid

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

HannibalBarca posted:

feel like most of us saw this coming, but still kind of a bummer:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1199087554307461121

another movie that comes out right after (in all probability) trump gets re-elected and i'm not going to be in the mood for movies or anything else, gently caress

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I didn't like KOTM the first time I saw it, but that was because I was expecting it to have the same tone as Godzilla (solemn, slow, monsters barely glimpsed for most of the movie, that sense of scale that Edwards did so well).

Instead I got underwater artillery and supersonic flying wings and underwater civilizations and Bradley Whitford, all at a breakneck pace. It was jarring and wrongfooted me for most of the movie, I couldn't get into it.

Then I realized what it actually was (as someone ITT said, the Destroy All Monsters to Godzilla 2014's Godzilla 1954) and now I like it a whole lot better. I even sort of like Bradley Whitford now, although I wish there were fewer quips, humans in kaiju movies should play it straight.

KOTM's script is absolute dogshit of course, but then all the Monsterverse scripts are dogshit*. KOTM's probably has my favourite line out of all the movies though ("I have bad news." "Just say 'news', it's always bad.")

*(One of the interesting things about the Monsterverse is seeing which actors can sell lovely dialogue. Bryan Cranston can. John Goodman can. Samuel L. Jackson can't. Brie Larson doesn't even try. John C. Reilly absolutely can. Millie Bobby Brown is very good at it. Kyle Chandler isn't. Charles Dance can do it in his sleep.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

Watanabe runs the dang dialogue store.

Watanabe wrestling with the fortune cookie line was the biggest fight scene in the whole movie.