Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
'androgynous teenage girl blows up Boston' makes my heart ache that Worm is never going to be adapted to film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I quite like that they called the ship that the intrepid heroes journey the world in pursuit of the monsters the Argo. It's a touch unfortunate that the only other Odyssey reference (at least that I caught) is one of the unnamed minor monsters being called Scylla in material outside the movie.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Back to the bad science about 'alphas': It's there as a cinematic parallel for the bad political science about 'kings'.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Pacific Rim is very all-in on the idea of symmetry, with the kaiju being the alien equivalent of the jaegers - or perhaps more revealingly, the jaegers being the human equivalent of the kaiju. There's a reason the tagline in the promotion for it was "To fight monsters, we created monsters".

e: they literally stared into the abyss and the abyss stared back into them, now that i think about it

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

I loved KotM, but it's a little more thematically muddled than - or at least discordant with - the 2014 movie, since suddenly nuclear families are really important rather than dangerous distractions.

'Nuclear families' are important in KotM in the same way 'nuclear weapons' are - as fuel to the God(zilla)-King of the Monsters.

Emma's death is her sealing the covenant between humanity and Godzilla that Serizawa first offered, in the same way Mothra's sacrifice is her fulfilling their symbiotic relationship. Serizawa's sacrifice was an offering to an ancient god; Emma's is a pact between equals. That's the idea behind the 'alpha signal' including human voice patterns, and the revelation that humanity is the newest Titan.

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jun 8, 2019

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

nah it's her going "oh poo poo I'm going to get tried at The Hague, I'll go out on my terms" or, more nobly, "oh poo poo I gotta distract the giant killer monster away from my daughter"

Her last words are "Long live the King."

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Antarctic, but yes.

SMG's regular point that aliens are a metaphor for the future seems to be relevant here. Much like how old-school Ghidorah was a creation of literal time-travelling aliens who were conveniently human-like, Legendary Ghidorah is an alien metaphor for the potential destruction of future Earth by ourselves.

The part where his first incarnation blew up the Venusians, a planet rendered uninhabitable primarily by a runaway greenhouse effect, seems especially pointed in this light.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

He's got a good point: Ghidorah being from space is something explained entirely in dialogue.

Honestly, it's a shame they didn't have an astronomer turn up and show them some classified files from the Venus probes (or the Mars rovers) with evidence that Ghidorah destroyed an ancient civilisation there. That would be an excellent callback to the original films, add yet another hilariously batshit crazy conspiracy theory to the mix, and actually convey that he's from space more effectively.

Or have him be inside an asteroid rather than an ice sheet, though that obviously robs them of one of the better shots of the film, with Ghidorah's heads trapped in the Antarctic ice sheet.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Thank God(...zilla) some of you don't write these movies. IMO the last thing KotM needed was more science rambling and dialogue-y scenes with glossed over ideas

All you need is a shot of the Mars Canals, except it's actually a series of artificially-constructed canals, torn apart by an unknown force.

Uncle Wemus posted:

In the old movies was it Ghidorah who would fly to earth as a giant Diamond

Spacegodzilla did that. Ghidorah first appeared as a magnetic metorite, then demonstrated the ability to fly through space.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Precisely. The declaration that he’s “an invasive species” is seemingly arbitrary.

Like, the MUTOs aren’t? How are those things “part of The Natural Order” if Ghidorah (with his snake necks and distinctive mammalian features) isn’t?

Near as I can tell, it's because he's Literal Satan.

"The Natural Order" is the film's equivalent of 'the divine right of kings' (i nearly typoed that as 'divine right of kongs', which would be a great direction for the sequel).

I don't know if it's particularly surprising that a film subtitled 'king of the monsters' is stridently pro-feudalism, to be honest.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

the good dad vs bad dad fight is the film trying to couch good king vs bad king in terms that a modern audience who doesn't like feudalism will agree with, because the closest thing to a king in this day and age is your dad

again: movie literally called king of the monsters.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

i have a bad habit of fitting stories into thesis/antithesis/synthesis patterns, driven by how common trilogies are, but this movie really does feel antithetical to 2014 in a few important ways, and antithetical to skull island in some other important ways (the most significant one being 'actually the monsters are gods and not just big gorillas') that could lead to godzilla vs kong being an interesting synthesis.

then again man of steel / bvs / justice league could have also been a good one of these and the synthesis Got Murdered so who knows

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

it's pretty obvious that the writers were trying to capture that sweet, sweet A/B/O fanfic writer market

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

It's a 'comic book movie', in the sense that all the good visuals are the single long shots that were all over the trailers, like comic panels.

Like Age of Ultron, but not quite as awful.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Humans aren’t apex predators.

I mean this is wrong but I think I get what you mean: a lion or whatever can eat one human just fine. A group of humans, especially ones who live in some sort of society, are absolutely a 'collective apex predator', so to speak.

The film then tries to extrapolate this out to 'human civilisation is the newest kaiju', which is dumb, because even an idiot animal could look at humans and figure out there's a bunch of different groups all fighting each other. We're not even a bunch of smaller organisms working together like a man o' war, because man o' wars don't nuke themselves.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

it's the standard high school (anime) trio trope of bossy/stupid/disaffected

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The boring answer is that reptiles and insects don't usually have external genitalia. No excuse for Kong though.

Gorilla penises are proportionately the smallest of all primates.

You're welcome.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

honestly, king of the monsters wasn't even remotely batshit enough. you know what the climax needed? every human on earth simultaneously unleashing a battle cry to resonate with mothra's, not some macguffin that reverbs it with, like, one person's voice. humans aren't the newest kaiju, humanity is the newest kaiju.

also the Argo (the stealth helicarrier) should have been a giant transforming robot

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

I turned myself into a kaiju Morty. I'm kaiju Rick!!!

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Meme for idiots said by idiots

don't sign your posts

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

there are too many giant monsters in this movie; please remove at least three. i am not a crackpot.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

It's a supercarrier designed to ship Godzilla places, or some equally silly retroactive explanation

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

it's also bad

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Is that in the comics or something?

one of the scientists says 'we've been terraforming the planet for them' in reference to industrialisation and co2 levels. it's just in the movie

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

sure, but on the other hand: the aliens aren't real

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

snyder's mothra would kick rear end, to be fair

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

...wait, shouldn't the 'save mothra' meme be godzilla asking kong to save mothra

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

also i just remembered the original 'save mothra' joke before twitter latched onto it was godzilla asking king kong wearing batmans' armor to save mothra, so i was right!

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Burkion posted:

I fully believe Godzilla is not being controlled what so ever

If you look at the map, all of the areas Godzilla attacks are APEX related.

it seems like, if you read between the lines and ignore what the trailer is trying to SAY what the movie is about, the actual story is that APEX is doing something lovely, Godzilla is working on stopping them, and APEX goes to get Kong to try and save themselves because none of the other kaiju could stand against Godzilla nor would want to.

This is entirely consistent with how Godzilla has been shown to be in Legendary- he won't go out of his way to do harm, but if he thinks something needs to be done, he will do it. Its also why they have to bring Kong TO Godzilla- Godzilla doesn't give a poo poo about Kong. He has no reason to fight him and no reason to kill him.

Kong has every reason in the world to hate Godzilla considering his species were apparently forced onto the island by Godzilla, but Godzilla has no beef with him. The main thrust is going to be getting Kong to recognize this, let go of the past, and ally against a greater threat

Which, I think we all know what that is

"There was a time above, a time before. There were perfect things. Diamond absolutes. But things fall, things on Earth. And what falls is fallen. In the dream, they took me to the light. A beautiful lie."

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

they're still filming the rest of the movie. all they have is this half-hour long aircraft carrier scene and they need to figure out how to get there and where to go afterwards

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

Godzilla but it's animated in/around CalArts-style (Teen Titans Go, ThunderCats Roar, Pony Life, Star VS, Gumball, Steven Universe, etc)

unironically, a friendship-is-magic style comedic slice of life show where the main characters are six kaiju would own.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

i read that as 'at least one dance sequence with electronic fight hip hop' and now i'm going to be disappointed regardless of what transpires

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

PlushCow posted:

I feel KOTM's human drama is much of the same human drama from G14 with a new coat of paint and that's why it feels not great.

i mean, the white male protagonist behaves completely differently in those movies, and so does everyone else, so i don't see how it's "a new coat of paint", unless you mean something as vague and unspecific as "the human drama is about family"

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Well, we end up with Hedorah when Earth becomes Venus and he flies away to...Mars?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Save...Mothra...

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

i think this is enjoyable enough, but more than anything else this film's editing was absolutely loving terrible. there were so many cuts to reaction shots that were both disruptive and unnecessary, some really godawful ADR, and just about all the human scenes were shot in the most perfunctory, uncaring way possible

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

the ending reads pretty clearly to me as godzilla looking at kong and going "yeah, i'm stronger than you, but i don't need to fight you again to prove it, especially when you've had the poo poo beaten out of you this much." and kong thinks "yeah that's fair. don't rest on your laurels though."

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Characterising Kong as a 'champion of man' sure is a Take

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Kong, as he lays dying on the floor: You're letting them...build Mecha...

Godzilla: WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME?

Kong: Stop...Mecha...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Godzilla 98 is a pretty good Aliens vs Jurassic Park crossover that happens to be called 'zilla'