Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

no film could survive Godzilla 2014's protagonist.

I dunno Godzilla does pretty good in movies usually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Basebf555 posted:

He doesn't seem very agile at all.

Yeah where are the backflips and cartwheels.

This movie is going to loving own. The pic of Godzilla in the op is so good.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Shadowhand00 posted:

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Godzilla 2014 the first two times I watched it. I was the biggest fan as a kid and wasn't surprised by the fact that Godzilla was a hero or anything.

I think my third viewing soured things a bit when I started letting Aaron Taylor Johnson's plot get to me and the criticisms of the movie itself started becoming apparent. I still like the movie and hope for more US Godzilla movies. In the end, I just didn't absolutely adore the movie as I thought I could have.

I'll revisit and look at the reasons others have articulated about the criticisms. Its a valid point and I haven't really thought about the movie since I just saw this trailer this afternoon.

You shouldn't adore movies, you should criticize them. Movies aren't supposed to be perfect, they're art. Every movie you see is a bunch of videos some people took of other people and stuff. Your parents did that to you when you were a child, maybe.

Thinking of movies as products to be consumed is the most terrible, horrible thing you can do to them.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Elfgames posted:

Godzilla is not a force of nature Godamnit! he is very explicitly a manmade force! the 2014 movie isn't a godzilla movie (it's a fine film but not a godzilla movie) it's a natural disaster flick where a lizard shaped hurricane comes in and kills some monsters.

Godzilla shows up and causes destruction because the humans messed around too much with the mutos. If it weren't for human actions, none of the monsters in the movie would have even woken up.

When you say force of nature it sounds like you mean act of God. I.e. Something no one can do anything about, and dwarfs humanity. Isn't that exactly what happened in the original?

This sits in the whole bullshit realm of the idea of nature being separate from humans. As if we have no relationship with this thing called nature, we just gently caress with it and sometimes it acts like a god or something. We aren't fuckin separable from "nature", there's just the universe and we are a part of it.

Every Godzilla film is representative of this. Or ok at least a few of them.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Godzillas tail looks like it's going to be as much a character as he is.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Obviously they have common heritage, but it's a lot older than evangelion or Godzilla.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I was there. He screams a lot.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Joe Gillian posted:

You should watch the Korean film, "The Host". The humans are more interesting than the monster, and that's barely a knock against the film itself. It has some over the top moments in it, but it has characters you can identify with.

I identify with Godzilla :colbert:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mantis42 posted:

Godzilla and King Kong should have teamed up to take down the REAL villian: humanity.

This, but...

...unironically :twisted:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Yaws posted:

I dunno what it is about Godzilla movies but I've loved all of them. Even the lovely ones. Godzillas Revenge with that annoying latchkey kid? Totally watchable.

They've got such a strong clout cause fuckin godzilla hell yes.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
So... I went to look for a NA release, but that doesn't seem to be happening :negative:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Where

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I have faith in Shin Godzilla in being a good Godzilla movie, but man none of the trailers made me feel like Godzilla was scary. Which really just makes me want to see the movie even more.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

mandatory lesbian posted:

mothra is my beautiful kaiju girl, and im gonna marry her

Sorry but... we're already engaged.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

K. Waste posted:

Applying patriarchal gender binaries to a giant bug god that can asexually reproduce itself seems hasty.

Look, I asked and she said yes.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
K. waste is like one of the best posters in this thread. Heck, in the whole movies subforum.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Accordion Man posted:

Killing off Cranston's character was the movie's biggest mistake. Cranston's son should have been killed instead and then Cranston just starts going Captain Ahab on the MUTOs for taking his family away from him while Ken Watanabe tries to convince him not go completely off the deep end.

If Cranston didn't die then Godzilla would never have arrived.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Vince MechMahon posted:

I just found him incredibly boring.

Which is a different thing from "bad acting".

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ben Nerevarine posted:

These are amazing

This one has me scratching my head. The lava would have you think it's Rodan but it looks like it's walking. Burning Godzilla? Or a second, maybe third, unknown kaiju?

I'm like 95% certain that's a billboard for Orkin lol

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
So the scientist guy in Shin Godzilla, whose boat they discover at the start of the movie. He transforms himself into Godzilla, yes?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Davros1 posted:

Can't find the post now, but in another thread, someone asked if the missing yachter at the beginning of Shin evolves into Godzilla, and someone agrees with him, but I never saw it that way.

Thoughts?

One interesting thing is that the characters never really determine any kind of "intelligent" goal that Godzilla could have. He climbs out of the ocean, runs amok and then turns back to the water. Then he comes back out and eventually they say that he's pointed in the direction of where the government is situated.

When they talk about Dr. Gori, Yaguchi basically says that he thinks Godzilla was released on Japan by Dr. Gori as some kind of test.

There's a note by the Dr. that says "do as you please" basically, which is one of the main themes of the movie when it comes to the actions of the country of Japan. By the end of the movie, the country of Japan wants to do what it wants, instead of being a subsidiary state to the USA. One of my favorite books was East of Eden by John Steinbeck and one of its main themes is the words "thou mayest" which comes from the book of genesis, and it's about god telling human's how to live and how to deal with sin.

If you read Godzilla as being a sort of "descendant" of Dr. Gori in the literary sense, then you can also say that in Shin Godzilla, God is telling humans how to live and how to deal with sin.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Peanut President posted:

it first appeared in "jamaica"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0oewbZjrpA

edit: I think the idea is Zilla likes to eat some certain kind of fish and its stocks had been caught and then was shipped to NY so that's why it went

That video is just OOZING jurassic park sequel lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

Except the Lost World Jurassic Park kicks rear end, while G'98 is a much weirder movie when you break it down.

Also didn't they mention that Zilla crossed over Panama on its way to the Atlantic? It's been a while since I've watched the film.

Oozing in a bad way yeah.