Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Planet of the Monsters felt more like an anime movie featuring godzilla than a godzilla movie that happened to be anime. Therefore we get assloads of exposition and melodramatic angst, because if there is one thing Japanese anime gas told me, it is that animation us limited only by how much talking can be crammed into every scene. It bears repeating what others have said but nobody ever shuts up in this movie. Like most other anime, for that matter.

I won't give it bad marks for having paper thin characters because humans are mostly secondary anyways in these movies. Not every film can have a Serizawa. However, I honestly thought the two black alien dudes were the same guy until they were actually standing next to one another. Good visuals but horribly samey character designs.
I feel like a film set during the 50 year war against Godzilla would have been more fun, but the Montage of fuckups at the start was entertaining.

Cinematography was alright until the action scenes started. Apart from the jetbike attacks, most of the fight scenes are either way too hectic and dense without a proper camera sense, or they are too far away. Cutting to a wide shot every single time godzilla fused his atomic breath git old really fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

K. Waste posted:

Hot-take: Godzilla vs. Megalon is hella underrated.

You can't say no to Jet Jaguar.

Personal favourite is still Godzilla vs King Ghidorah though. Time travel, lasers and dinosaurs fighting in WW2.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I still don't get how they handwaved away all the fallout that would have come from detonating a nuke in a boat half a mile out from San Francisco. There's already an explanation from Godzilla vs Destroyah that Godzilla could absorb the radiation to heal himself and prevent fallout, but Legendary Goji just wakes up like he had a bad hangover and goes back to the ocean with no mention of the damage a multi megaton bomb would have going off nearby a populated city.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mantis42 posted:

Fallout is the result of radioactive debris falling back to earth, right? An explosion at sea probably wouldn't produce much.

It's still a multi megaton bomb going off in close vicinity to San Francisco. There would have to be some damage.
It's not as silly as Batman flying a super bomb away from Gotham, detonating it over the ocean and surviving the blast in under 30 seconds, but it is still silly. And I feel it would have been a good callback to Godzilla versus Destroyah to have Godzilla swallow up the radiation, thereby saving the city from poisoning and showing how he healed himself following the fight.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Destroyah has the hilarious scene where Godzilla is getting dragged around by his tail getting thrown through the airport.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The godzilla cartoon was certainly better than the king Kong cartoon where the protagonist man was cybernetically linked with the gorilla.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Let the MUTOs stay dead. They just looked like insect versions of the Cloverfield chicken.
I want to see godzilla fight a jormungandr style sea serpent.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The anime godzilla movie would have been better if they had started the film with the 500m tall variant from the end of the film and gone upwards from there. Having a roar so loud it shatters the sound barrier and sends tank destroying shockwaves, a tail whip that flings a mounting slicing laser and so on would just be the baseline wackiness.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The planet's entire ecosystem is derived from Godzilla's genes in the anime movie. This somehow results in dragons that look like flying metal turds and plantlife that can slice through metal.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I got confused in the anime when there were two space dwarf characters who looked exactly the goddamn same and sounded exactly the same as well. The only reason I realized they were different people is because they cut from one in one place to the other in a different place at teh same time.

None of the character outside of the lunatic sazaki and the elf Goji worshipper had any characterization.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd like to see a crossover between Legend Goji and the new Toho cinematic universe.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

LesterGroans posted:

There was a bootleg of that amazing Godzilla 2014 trailer. I'll take something like that at least.

The Oppenheimer trailer that had the giant centipede corpse in it? That trailer was so good.

In response to the Anime Godzilla 2 trailer with the generic as gently caress Anime OP music, what is this thread's consensus on the best Godzilla music pieces? I can pin a top three with the Original Theme, Who Will Know from Shin Godzilla, and Godzilla! from the 2014 Legendary flick.

Bottom of the bin is the awful P Diddy Kashmir rendition for GINO.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 1, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've been trying to freeze frame the opening credits of Godzilla '14 to see what the redacted text says before it's covered up. I like the one questioning whether the monsters are real or if it is just men in rubber suits committing an elaborate hoax.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm still kind of annoyed we didn't get a Mongolian Death Worm kaiju.

Like, not even necessarily at the movie itself, just in general.

I'm still waiting for Godzilla to fight a jormungandr-style Sea serpent.

Godzilla has to be one of the most accessible long running franchises out there because even if you've never seen a Godzilla movie before you know what you're getting by watching one at random. Giant liazard shoots atomic breath and trashes buildings. Sure you can get all continuity focused but even theories don't care that much about consistency and would rather have cool monster fights and occasionally interesting human moments.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
But destroy all monsters is great and who cares if you can't name anyone but Godzilla and mothra. It's got anguirus hanging off if ghidorah's neck and everyone curb stomping him into oblivion.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I do wish that Godzilla 14 had ended similar to destroyah with Godzilla's son (or in this case the main man himself) rising from the dead by absorbing the radioactive fallout to get his energy back. Even if a nuclear blast over water wouldn't be as bad as one on land the entire coastline around San Francisco would be hosed without Godzilla sucking up all the dangerous fallout.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Mechagodzilla and MechaGigan vs MechaGidrah: Mech Harder.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Vintersorg posted:

Legendary universe Jet Jaguar.

Only if he gets his Unleashed theme song.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm trying to get my friend into more Godzilla movies. He likes Legendary Godzilla but j want him to watch some more rubber suit Goji movies. Would selling him on a double feature of Godzilla against Mechagodzilla and Tokyo SOS be a good bet?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

don't strain yourself, it was pretty mediocre

Just watch the last three minutes and dump the rest.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
To fight monsters we created monsters of our own.

Pacific rim 3 opens with John boyega going through a portal to fight the Kaiju in their own dimension but gets stuck in the legendary Goji franchise to fight much more interesting Kaiju.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Jet jaguar would be a better fit for legendary than mechagodzilla

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Teenage Fansub posted:

That's G restoring the Earth's atmosphere. Arigatou gozaimasu!

He's just returning the atmosphere to the highly radioactive state it was when he was born

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I know everything released for a film's promotion is due for scrutiny, but that is a tiny, compressed image. No duh it looks jaggy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Oppenheimer trailer is one of the greatest teasers ever created.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I had a thought. Eco lady says that humanity is entering an extinction event. I'm wondering if this movie will go the route that the great extinction events in earth's history are actually caused by massive Kaiju battles. Like Ghidorah and Godzilla had a fight so destructive it caused the Permian Triassic extinction or the KP boundary and the "meteor" crater in the Gulf of Mexico is actually the battleground for Kaiju.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It turns out that the Legendary Goji movies are just a big budget adaptation of the flashback sequence of Planet of the Monsters and these movies are going to end with a shot of some rear end in a top hat kid named Sazaki.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Maybe Godzilla dies defeating Ghidorah and his son Godzilla Jr fights Kong at a more equal size.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A subplot of this film will be Jr learning to fight his own battles, you know.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Legendary Goji also realized he has arms and he likes to use them for more than swatting planes and clapping.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is desplat doing the music for this one as well?

Edit: oh poo poo they got Bear McCreary instead. I demand Taiko drums.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Waffleman_ posted:

Score's by Bear McCreary, who you might know from this year's God of War or maybe The Walking Dead.

I think you mean Battlestar Galactica

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Skull island Is a B movie with a 200million dollar budget.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
When did The Lost World film come out? That one had a Brontosaurus running loose in London. It had to have been the 20s.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Double post

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Toho Kong has lightning powers so it's an even match.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah Toho announced a few months back that they're gearing up for a new Godzilla franchise of continuity films that don't follow from Shin.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm actually not that big a fan of Shin's final form but his tadpole/amphibious stage is loving terrifying.
His final form just lacks mobility, which you think he'd have more of when you realize a lot of his extra bulk was applied via CGI in post. He just doesn't move enough to feel real to me, which was not a problem his tadpole form had.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
While I'm on the topic, the MUTOs are so close to having a good design. I really like the triangular head with the double mandible jaws, and I like the insect wings on the male. However the rest of the body just looks bad to me, like a crappier version of the Cloverfield monster. Maybe something less spindly would have worked better, and if they had given the MUTOs a more vivid colour palette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It should be Jet Jaeger, and spawn a Godzilla vs Pacific Rim crossover.