Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Went to see Minus One with my partner. It was her first Japanese Godzilla film after being a big fan of the Monsterverse films for some time. She really enjoyed it, and now I'm keen for us to watch more of the classics. So: aside from Shin Godzilla and the original, which are considered the best among the many Japanese Godzilla films? Or just good kaiju films in general? (A random guy at the dog park the other day was telling me that the 90s Gamera movies are really good...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

GxK opinions

Overall it was pretty mediocre, definitely the worst Monsterverse film so far, nevertheless I don't regret seeing big monke and giant lizard in the cinema.

The script was complete chaos, all sorts of plotlines tripping over each other, and Mothra and Godzilla were shoehorned into what was clearly a story about Kong first and foremost. Everyone was right of course about the problems with scale in the Hollow Earth. However the biggest problem with the film was simply that it failed to sell me on the villains. After Ghidorah, Mechagodzilla and the Skull Crawlers, it was just too hard to feel like the characters or the world were seriously threatened by... a skinny version of Kong and a rejected character design from How To Train Your Dragon.

All that said, I still enjoyed the fights, and I laughed when Scar King punted that one monkey straight into the lava.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

Zero One posted:

Also they had two fights against water snake monsters back to back. Couldn't they have changed one of those up a little? Make Kong fight a big flying guy instead.

This part was so bad lol. They even did the exact same beats at the end of the fight. It was like someone copied and pasted the same scene twice at some point during script development, and then someone else just picked it up and rolled with it.

Actually a lot of the movie felt like they took a rough draft of the script and said "gently caress it, film it".

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

I'm weirdly torn because I liked it, more than Godzilla vs. Kong actually, it went by at a fun clip without ever dragging and the human stuff was actually entertaining for a nice change of pace. But I'm still underwhelmed. I really thought Skar King was going to be a fakeout and he was concealing/would be brushed aside for some other, cooler monster in Act 3. But no, he's the big baddie and the last fight is exactly as anticlimactic as "can Kong beat up the guy he could already beat up and only lost to by trickery, now that he's powered up and has Godzilla helping and Mothra too" makes it sound like it'd be. "Dude who's not as cool as Kong" is not a threat, even though the movie seems to think "what if we gave him a pet who's not as cool as Godzilla and is also only helping against his will so you know he'll half-rear end it and turn on him the second he can" makes him one.

I realize they've already used the two best evil monsters they had with Ghidorah and Mechagodzilla, but they've got to get someone out of the back catalogue who's worth a drat for next time.

The more I think about it, the more I feel like both villains detracted from each other. "Evil Kong who was sealed away for millennia" and "ice dragon who literally caused the Ice Age" are both great pitches for a villain. But they didn't really hype up either of those concepts enough, and the fact that Skar King was keeping Shimo as a pet made them both seem less imposing.

I do like the theory that Ghidorah was encased in ice by Shimo

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

Exactly. I understand people like to be a part of the conversation but I just think it’s a waste of time and money to see something you know you’re going to dislike.

poo poo ain’t changing in the legendary front. But hey good news is Toho is back and they’re making very great Godzilla movies too. Just wait for those.

Thing is, I had a great time with KOTM and GvK, and I feel like GxK really failed to deliver even on the level of dumb entertainment. All I ask of these movies is that they make the kaiju look really big, and have a showdown with a suitably epic villain at the end. GxK failed on both counts!

I don't care about the other plot holes like Mothra respawning, those things are fun to point out but wouldn't spoil the movie on their own.

Anyway the mrs. wants to see it again in the cinema so I probably will lol.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

Talking non-Godzilla kaiju films, I rewatched Big Man Japan recently. It's basically a mockumentary about the ordinary life of a transforming hero, who has to defend Japan despite being generally shunned and reviled by the Japanese public. It's well worth a watch, some of the daily life scenes are a bit slow, but the bizarre kaiju are a treat, and the film goes to progressively weirder places as it goes on.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

Shageletic posted:

So it's like Tetsup the Iron Man?

Spoilers: that ends with the eponymous hero merging with the bad guy I think and turning into a iron dick speeding thru the streets of Tokyo

Stylistically very different, but I can sort of see the comparison, yes. I like the idea of drawing a line between Tetsuo and tokusatsu heroes. The transformation of human bodies into something more perfect than flesh...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

Shard posted:

In the other movies, specifically King of the Monsters I remember them having lines about evacuations. There is no way that final fight had enough time for anyone to evacuate so that's a lot of dead humans lol. But I can actually accept that because I imagine to Godzilla he doesn't even notice humans other than like we do ants. And Kong probably understood that poo poo gotta kill this crazy monkey man before he ice ages the planet.

hands down the funniest moment in the Monsterverse films is in GvK when Godzilla stomps through the city and blows up the Apex laboratory with his atomic breath, and in the next scene there's a news chyron that says "8 dead in Godzilla attack"