Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
They need to be available through the means by which I watch MST, a website called YouTube

Starz has a nice chunk of Criterion branded Godzilla now. It's good to see, that logo, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

there are people who don't like shin? what a world

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

MrMojok posted:

Yeah, I look at it as a kind of alt-history thing. It really doesn’t bother me.

I just got out of the theater. I know in the coming days I’ll have more to say about the film but for now, I just want to say this.

*Please* go see this in the theater. The better box office it does outside of Japan, the longer it’s likely to play.

If you don’t, there are a couple of sequences in the film that if you wait for it to hit a steaming platform, you’re going to really regret not having seen in the theater. I can assure you of that.

See it on an IMAX screen if you can. I didn’t today, but I’m going to see it that way soon. It’s that good, and worthy of the format.

The only question in my mind right now is where this ranks among my top three Godzilla films of all time, and which one it bumps down to fourth.

I’ll have to think about it for a while, but this one may very well be my all-time favorite now.

i missed shin after seeing the American one (probably because of how little i cared about the American one, but it also wasn't running anywhere conveniently located). no way am i missing this one.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

very good

was the zoom on Noriko's next at the end because the thing on her neck was moving or was i just too teary eyed at Godzilla's death?

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

Asteroid Alert posted:

The thing was moving, heavily implying she received some some sort of radiation during the Ginza attack.

thought so, and i spotted someone mention the director's statement

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

Name Change posted:

Minus One was the best godzilla movie I've seen by a wide margin, and blows the stupid American movies out of the water. Do see it in imax.

still very confused as to why the nearest imax is in the 9th biggest city in my state, 45 minutes away, instead of the third biggest, 20 minutes away. but they only ran imax on Thursday anyway. do wish, though

also, while I'm with you on the American ones being stupid--a wide margin? drat. i loved it a lot, but i definitely can't put it on the level of the original

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

chiasaur11 posted:

Shin's a really good movie, but it's also one that I'd kinda check opinions first, like how someone feels about Apollo 13 style "A bunch of dudes in a room work out how to deal with a crisis" films.

shin Godzilla is a film about a scarred atomic god brightening the night sky with purple lasers while a guy gets eighty promotions at once

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

Name Change posted:

OK well MAYBE the movie that invented the CONCEPT of GODZILLA is better

lol

i mean to be fair the first Friday the 13th isn't the best so it does happen. i honestly enjoy shin more than the '54, but i do rank the original as the better movie, whatever that means. minus feels more of a companion piece to the original in a lot of ways, especially in terms of tone and the kind of filmmaking on display. i mean it does go out of its way to invite those comparisons

ah well. loving great movies

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

and i just threw vs Megalon on because my kid sounded like he was saying "kaiju." I'm Of Culture

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

very heartwarming to see all the Hedorah love. between how rad Hedorah is and how absurdly of its era it is, that's a hell of a movie. godzilla and discotheques 4 life

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

Der-Wreck posted:

I bought a big-rear end SpaceG sofubi in the summer because I love his design. I figured I should watch the movie and it’s pretty dumb. But I still think SpaceG looks awesome!!

:getin:

Space Godzilla's design is so good i can't hate the movie nearly as much as i should

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

Big Mac posted:

"This meeting is adjourned so we can have a different meeting on a different floor with more or less the same people"

lol isn't there one where they legit just walk across the room to have a different meeting?

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

the majority of godzilla movies were meant to be watched for their final acts by fourteen-year-olds staying up way too late and there's nothing wrong with being the best in that genre imo

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

and also GMK is great even by the standards of watching at normal human hours

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

probably 3/4 of the movies are just solid kino. a

yes

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Most of the Godzilla movies are not just good Godzilla movies but good movies overall.

yes

Tea Party Crasher posted:

Shin Godzilla? More like good Godzilla

yes

MrMojok posted:

Return of Godzilla 1984

deserves more acknowledgement in this conversation

tbh I think my immediate visceral reaction to people ranking Minus so highly is that whole recency bias thing. it was extremely good, but it's not some ridiculous outlier to a mediocre series or anything. godzilla is great.

(except the American ones. they've got nothing for me, tho i need to go back to 98 to see how much of an artifact if its era it is)

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

Arc Hammer posted:

Cinema Discusso: Godzilla Thread: Unlike Other Godzilla Movies This One Is About The Characters

lol

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it’s the best American Godzilla movie, for whatever that’s worth

that's how my memory has it

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

Neo Rasa posted:

Seeing it mentioned on the internet I notice Tokuzô Tanaka's The Whale God is considered a kaiju film so I would say absolutely 100% yes to both.

Speaking of which, I have a few issues with that flick but holy poo poo does it have some visuals and is worth watching for folks who post in this thread. What an incredibly bleak film imo even if life is pretty normal for everyone in it outside of like a few main characters' fixation on the titular whale for various reasons. Their bullshit casts a pall over the entire village, almost apocalyptic tone at times and when there is action it has some real momentum.

Also has the rare instance of Shintarô Katsu playing an absolute shitbag instead of Zatoichi.

Anyway, what a flick

If you seek it out, it wasofficially released in English for the first time a few months ago under the title The Whale God, but I think IMDB and some other sites still call it "Killer Whale" which isn't really accurate.

still waiting on my Blu-ray

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

I, Butthole posted:

I think SRS is sending them out in the next fortnight. I've had it on preorder for moooooonths

lol yeah, they're saying late December. excited

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

holefoods posted:

my showing at regal didn’t even have trailers they just did the poo poo where they basically show tv commercials and then rolled straight into the movie about 15 minutes after the advertised start time

got me beat. the regal i saw it at had a solid 20 minutes of commercials, followed by a solid twenty minutes of trailers with a couple commercials interspersed. how fortunate i am to have seen a preview of Blumhouse's upcoming classic, hosed Up Teddy Bear: The Shittest Goddamned Teddy Bear You Ever Did See, Just A Total Piece of poo poo, though

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

High Warlord Zog posted:

I want a Kaiju movie where the story grinds to a hault for a lecture about doing phrenology on Godzillas

the secret is that when you're making a movie you can just show the thing to prove it's big.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

STONE COLD 64 posted:

this was my first japanese godzilla movie since god, i think godzilla 2000 and godzilla 84 before that. i enjoyed this a lot. probably my favorite movie this year. i pogged irl when they succeeded in tricking godzilla into swallowing the sea mine only to regenerate immediately after. also the Takao was a really fun easter egg. i also loved the minesweeper crew that koichi worked with, i thought they were all fleshed out really well instead of being typical one dimensional character fodder. i thought dr. noda and captain hota especially shone too. it sounds like i should check out shin godzilla next?

yes, definitely

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

watching final wars projected on the garage at a party years ago was a hell of a lot of fun except for the extremely racist scene with the cops in America which was funny in a different way, or maybe the same way. who knows

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

Asterite34 posted:

The only way that scene could have been improved would be if the subtitle said it took place in Des Moines, with no other changes. Like that's just what any given square mile of America is like

lol

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

that show sounds unbelievably lovely.

i watched the whale god today. pretty solid. some stuff less solid. not what i expected but i don't regret it.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

going into it with the idea of a Japanese Moby Dick i think threw me off, and I'd kind of disabuse anyone of approaching it in that notion. the similarity is basically "what if 95% of this fishing village were all Ahabs and the other guy left town?"

it definitely had some utterly fantastic moments. the three generational scenes in the opening killed me, and the climax was amazingly rendered. i don't think the tone ever had as much weight as it wanted (something like Sword of Doom's gravity was needed, but not everyone can be Tetsuya Nakadai), tho the two female leads did fantastic work.

right at the end, when Shaki's being dragged to the shore, my toddler looked to me and said "that whale's head fall off." that really amped the maddened poignancy of the scene.

like i said, not a perfect movie, definitely enjoyed it.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

shin kamen rider is also basically several episodes of a show condensed into one movie with clean breaks in between. i really loved it and I've seen very little kamen over the years

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

everyone should start with the first Ultraman series, just because it's amazing seeing 60s kaiju suits being beaten to absolute death by that giant psychopath. just utterly brutalized. stop Ultraman, stop, you'll say, he's already dead

this one https://a.co/d/8ffBGfu

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

that dude would give an awakened eva a run for their money

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

good point. ultraQ is very weird

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

hallo spacedog posted:

My favorite episode of this is the one about Seabozu, the sad monster that fell from space and is crying cause it wants to go back to space and iirc Ultraman beats him up for good measure anyway

lol he's such a loving prick

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

I'm trying to decide on the weirdest wildest heisei godzilla. is it biollante? is it destoroyah?

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

i feel like desty takes too long before it goes insane

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

lol

he's such a violent unrepentant poo poo

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

'54

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

No that's just Doug, a small lizard-like kaiju which was on screen for about 3 seconds in GvK but somehow became a popular meme (here's an example) so they had to bring him back. Fans nicknamed him Doug and the filmmakers have now made that official.

Manufactured Anguirus