Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Just saw the Resurgence trailer. I'm looking forward to the movie, but honestly I prefer the more fun tone the Japanese movies adopted over time. Even a more dramatic 90s one like Destoroyah, that still had a sort of cartoony fun to it at the same time. I love the original Gojira movie, which is of course grim and full of allegory of real life horror.

But, I dunno, right now we just had the American Godzilla movie that is a stone-faced disaster movie. And now it looks like the next Japanese one is another dead serious disaster movie. Unless the trailer is misleading, have there been rumors or set pics of other monsters in this movie or anything?

I can get into another grim monster attack movie, but just personally I love the fun of the genre too, and I'd like to see more of that honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

MinibarMatchman posted:

Shin Gojira-san will be a bit of a different beast than the Legendary pix movie. If shots of the movie are to be believed than this is going to be a horrifying evolutionary journey wherein Godzilla melts down and keep regenerating. I'm guessing that's why he might still have bony little arms.

Ironically if you are looking for more monsters, I think the next American movie will have Ghidorah and friends in it.

That's true. And for sure this will be different from the American one, I've seen a bunch of Anno's stuff. Though I did see Kaiju Big Battel recently, so maybe I'm looking for a giant sentient rear end-kicking can of soup or something.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

SHISHKABOB posted:

Godzillas tail looks like it's going to be as much a character as he is.

He does have a second brain around there, classic second rear end brain. (mentioned in Destoroyah or some 90s movie I think)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Violator posted:

It's interesting how the American Godzilla is a good guy but the Japanese Godzilla is a bad guy.

I had only ever seen the really old Godzilla movies growing up, so my entire understanding of him was based on the original movie and all of the goofy stuff in the 70s with Megalon and whatnot. I recently started watching the 90s and 00s movies and was pretty surprised that Godzilla has basically been a bad guy for like the past 20 years. Not only that, but there were a few scenes in the various movies that were downright scary. I can't remember what movie it was, but there was a shot of him standing in the ocean while a girl stood on a dock and they were looking at each other. It only last a few seconds but for some reason it was really chilling.

This new version of Godzilla really reminds me of a cat ready to pounce. He's standing there motionless and his tail is whipping back and forth right before he strikes.

Edit: I was also surprised how many of the roles were reversed. I thought Ghidorah was the ultimate villain, but he was a good guy in some of the newer movies fighting Godzilla.

GMK (2001) is the one where he's a villain with Ghidorah as a good guy etc. Other than that though, Godzilla has not been the villain in most of the movies in the past 20 years. At least he's usually considered the lesser of two evils, and he kicks some other monster's rear end. In Final Wars he kicks a lot of monsters asses.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Godzilla is the villain in both GxMG and Tokyo SOS as well.

Also, on this note, I've rarely been more disappointed in a movie than when I found out GMK was originally envisioned as 'VBA': Varan, Baragon, and Anguirus teaming up to take down Godzilla.

At least we got Baragon's finest hour in that movie there. drat he's lovable.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Shadowhand00 posted:

I thought GMK had a pretty decent human story.

Final Wars - I really just enjoyed everything about the movie. Its so loud and that opening sequence is so fun.

Those are two of my favs! Humble brag, I got to see both of those in theaters! Brattle theatre in Harvard Square is quite boss. Saw Gojira there too.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Yoshifan823 posted:

Have we considered the possibility that an EVA unit is gonna show up halfway through and this will be Rebuild 3.0 + 1.0 in disguise?

Because I would be OK with that.

I would not be okay with that, but I would accept a PenPen the penguin cameo.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

OptimusShr posted:

The Brattle had GMK at one point? I only saw Gojira and Final Wars there.

Yes indeedy they did, it was before Final Wars was out. I forget how soon after the Japanese release, but it was years before Final Wars.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Ramadu posted:

That trailer fukken rules

but

why does he have such tiny baby arms? I can't stop laughing at them

I think the look for this one is supposed to be horrid/bizarre rather than the handsome devil he used to be for a while there.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Mantis42 posted:

Godzilla and King Kong should have teamed up to take down the REAL villian: humanity.

*flustered southern mayor*: Now let's just hoooold our horses here a minute

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Looking forward to seein Shin Godzilla, wasn't able to catch that in theaters. Got to see Gojira, GMK, and Final Wars at the time at a local indie theater though, was glorious.

On a dream Godzilla anime, while Anno's Cutie Honey was not too shabby, I elect Yoshiaki Kawajiri. Godzilla fighting some jerks from space with strobe light epilepsy effects in the background, anime heaven.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

HannibalBarca posted:

if I had the time and resources I would destroy every copy of Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla that exists upon the earth okay thank you

I would thank you, but for some reason the US blu-ray of 90s Mechagodzilla has Spacegodzilla in the same case, so be careful to only destroy that one thank you.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I love about half of the Heisei movies myself, but agreed Space Godzilla is very poor. I think Biollante, 90s Mechagodzilla, and Destoroyah are Top 10 Godzilla films. I also love most of the 2000s films, GMK is a solid choice for best Godzilla movie for me. In general I think both eras compare pretty favorably to the Showa Godzilla film series.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Choco1980 posted:

I think I'm definitely in the minority when I say that I genuinely think Final Wars was the best Godzilla movie made in my lifetime

It's one of my top favs, completely rules. Got to see it in theaters too. It is a masterpiece in every conceivable way.

(I also love Ryuhei Kitamura's take on Metal Gear Solid)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Stairmaster posted:

i hope godzilla wins

I also am rooting for the big G, ditto for in the new rumble with Kong movie!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Final Wars rules, that's all I have to say. I got to see it in a theater no less, masterful stuff. Just catching up on the thread. The Ready Player One thing somebody said, that's just messed up. Man Ready Player One was dull.

I can dig that everybody digs different stuff, I myself find several Godzilla movies boring/bad. But I think the reason people hate on Final Wars so repetitiously over the years, is ultimately, because it's doing something very different, which you'll like or not like. I liked that positive in depth review of it from a few months back, indeed it's a greatest hits of a lot of things, and I love Ryuhei Kitamura's movies like Versus, so to me it fit very well with another thing I love, Godzilla. One of my favorite movies.

GMK is my other top fav, and that also is very different. But I can see why it's less controversial among G-fans, do to the pace and style of it, and being by our Gamera guy.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'm thankful for the Big G this season, he has given us so much. And we forgive him for that time he blew up Baragon.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I love the look of GMK, one of my favs. The Gamera trilogy by that director is also great, maybe a bit more the look you'd like. I watched Biollante on blu-ray recently, still great, I don't think it looks any better than GMK though myself for example. Do you like the look of other 2000s Godzilla films, or tokusatsu stuff etc?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I had some fun watching that. As it's own nutty thing and whatnot.

I'd love it if Toho got back to making a bunch of fun ones with practical effects, crazy that we haven't had that since Final Wars 17 years ago. The Shin thing is a fun idea, Shin Ultraman etc as well, but I could use more in another flavor. Could do both, or even more if they want, unleash the G!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Sure love Destoroyah. Catching up on the earlier Heisei talk, the three I love are Biollante, Mecha, and Destoroyah. Those three I rewatch and they're some of my fav Godzilla movies.

Overall, even though I only love say half of that total run, I like those particular movies as much as any G movie. And the Millennium series are favs too. I loved watching every Showa one back in high school, my friend lent me his subbed tapes. But the slower or less top tier ones there I don't see myself rewatching much. So I don't rate Heisei lower myself. Plus I just think that is the coolest version of Godzilla, with the most mystique. That look from Biollante on is the definitive DaiKaiju oh yes.

Agreed 90s Gams is right up there of course.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 20, 2021

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The CGI G to me didn't capture my imagination as much as some of the suit and miniature stuff.

Anno is great at visuals for sure though, Gunbuster was good stuff. And the American one does look pretty cool, I concur. Took me a moment to remember that 2014 wasn't Shin.

I'd say, for me, surreal as it may be, GMK is the most I've believed it. As far as scale, a monster in a city etc. Got to see it in theaters too.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That rocks! I love Final Wars. Just terrific to see some Godzilla Toho suit action.

That short Godzilla vs Gamera CG thing was pretty cool too.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Oh yeah, that's a beautiful Big G. I've got a couple ol' Final Wars Godzilla toys yessir, Solid Snake is riding on one of them.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Y'all know Baragon is in Dragon Ball? I did not! Great to see him, very random cameos. I'm a guy who's got a Baragon toy too, very much in the target audience for that action.

https://dragonball.fandom.com/wiki/Baragon

I also pretty much flipped out when Gamera (baby Gamera) spun onto the scene to help Master Roshi. This Toriyama guy has good taste!

https://dragonball.fandom.com/wiki/Baby_Gamera

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

GMK is still the best movie ever. Got Baragon and everything.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Drive Anguirus

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Your stomach sounds like an Akira Ifukube jam after that concoction.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Hell yeah, my friend got a real hoot out of that when we popped on the Biollante blu-ray. It pops up that rating tidbit on a big blue screen too. The finest violence around.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Hideo is the king. And gotta love that giant Godzilla head on that building, is that the Godzilla hotel I heard about or another thing? Good to see.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Baragon till the break of dawn! I do like that Guest actor, pretty entertaining guy.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

You said it, not a dry eye in the house when Destoroyah plays! If that's not an Oscar performance from the Big G, I don't know what is.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Shakman is a legend. He's directed tons of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, so he has experience with epic monsters throwing down. Danny Devito is way more intense than King Caesar.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Goddamn Godzilla is cool

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That rules! My fav Godzilla moment is his battle with Baragon.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Always good to see The Big G, but Kong again is a fairly boring idea to me. Seems like they just want to prop up their classic IP. But hopefully it's still a good time.

Preferably, just a monster mash that happens to feature both characters. We still need Toho to get back in the G business.

At least throw Gamera in there if we're going ham.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Plus, he's in Death Stranding and is homies with Hideo Kojima. Hope that MGS movie happens and is fun.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Great to hear about the new movie! The king is back.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Watching G Vs Megalon on Criterion and it’s glorious as always

Absolutely!

I just rewatched G vs King Ghidorah (91) with a friend who's getting deeper into Godzilla. Fun stuff! It was one I only saw once back in the day and found to be a weaker entry, but I enjoyed it a lot more now. Just bonkers charming sci-fi genre movie hijinks with that majestic Godzilla touch. And the mayhem in the last act is really high quality.

My fav three from that era was always Biollante, Mecha, and Destoroyah, so I'd skip the other ones on rewatches. Thinking I may give the 93 G vs Mothra another go too, which I found okay and hadn't revisited. I mainly remember the Indiana Jones type bit.

Also, it was so hype to see Akira Ifukube scores this Ghidorah movie in the opening credits. Talk about a bonus! Looks like that was his first return to it after 1975.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That is not what I like to see.

I feel like they figured out how to do low budget anime well decades ago, it's a visual language people like. Lots of pans, not moving as much etc, they use great art direction to make a low budget 2D/hand-drawn anime look great. I would adore a low budget 2D Gamera anime.

Also, I feel like netflix being involved in everything is probably not great either, they just don't have the best track record artistically speaking. Something is going awry in anime trends, and Gamera is taking the fall for it folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I can never remember if Kamen Rider J or Kamen Rider Zo is the early 90s short movie I saw back in the day. Probably Zo. I should watch both to make sure.

Rewatched the 90s G vs Mothra and 90s Mechagodzilla with friends who hadn't seen 'em. Good stuff! Hadn't seen those in a long time. I love the vibe of that era, some of my fav Godzilla flicks. That psychic gal in all of them is cool. Gotta have psychics.