Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

depends on the era/series, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

I'm actually sort of worried that Godzilla 2 going forward will be contingent on the success of the new King Kong, so we had pretty much all cross our fingers that it does well.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

CelticPredator posted:

When is the movie going to be available to watch at home?

Chatter is sometime early next year, if we're lucky; middle of next year if we're not.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

This bit of the soundtrack is living rent-free in my head. I don't agree with all of the creative choices of the film, but the decision to re-use old sound and music cues was great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72a7F1SF8Vk

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

K. Waste posted:

I don't think he's really slagging off G'14 - he could just as easily (and more accurately) be ribbing Peter Jackson's Kong. I think he's more just coming from the point of view that, "Less-is-more is a formula that a lot of filmmakers seem less inclined to question because they've been reductively taught that it's a superior way of doing it."

To be fair, Kong showed up in 2005's Kong halfway through the movie and was, along with other monsters, a pretty constant presence throughout...

the problem was that it was halfway through a three hour movie. :v:

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Bimmi posted:

Seems like a really weird choice to make a three-hour movie out of.

Any of y'all seen the 1976 Kong lately? Holy balls, is that thing a wall-to-wall embarrassment for everybody involved.

1976 Kong is definitely goofy, but I think people give it too bad a rap. It's not great by any means, but it's alright.

Also, Jeff Bridges is there!

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Vintersorg posted:

I grew up watching King Kong Lives which is the sequel to the 76 movie. And I have a huge soft spot for it's insane cheese.

That movie is bugfuck insane and it's amazing.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Aliens is still the best Vietnam movie ever made.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Choco1980 posted:

Half-Century War is SO good you guys. Seriously. I want a movie out of THAT.

Wouldn't really work as a movie. Would have to be a miniseries, and good luck getting that made.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Bimmi posted:

Someone's leaked a lovely DVD rip of Shin to Facebook, if you haven't seen it and simply must.

It's missing about 20 minutes worth of footage somehow.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Stairmaster posted:

Godzilla vs Space-Godzilla is not very good.

Worst movie of the franchise IMO.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

the worst part of Spacegodzilla is that Miki Saegusa and the stupid psychic subplot spins way out of control where she ends up lifting tables into the air with her mind while G-Force fights the Yakuza.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

I've honestly never been that big of a fan of GMK. Aside from the suit issues, which others have mentioned, I've always found the human plot to be really muddled and occasionally poorly-written. I'm also not that big of a fan of magic in the Godzilla franchise (I know, I know), and GMK is one of the most explicitly mystical films of the entire series.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Popelmon posted:

I'm in the same boat. Are any of the billion other Godzilla movies as serious as the 54? Really liked that one.

the most serious Godzilla movies, off the top of my head, are 54's immediate sequel, Godzilla Raids Again (which is bad, though I have a soft spot for it), Godzilla 1984 (which is good, if a bit dry), Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah: All Out Giant Monsters Attack, which is basically schlock played straight (I don't particularly like it but it's a popular film among the wider fandom), the most recent American film, Godzilla 2014, on which opinions differ, and the most recent Japanese film, Shin Godzilla, which I enjoyed

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

there was actually a...let's call it "lively" debate when the designs of Godzilla 2014 and ShinGoji were first revealed about whether it's better to go with something vaguely plausible (square-cube law be damned) like G'14, or something weird and outlandish like ShinGoji. I recall quite a bit of arguing about feet, for example. Anyway, mix that in with a good old debate about whether or not Japanese special effects look too "fake" to be taken seriously when compared to $160m Hollwood blockbusters, and you've got a stew going.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I was thinking the fruit and was imagining a really tasty version of Biollante.

how do you know biollante isn't already tasty :colbert:

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Improbable Lobster posted:

I don't think Godzilla ever really did anything I would call a raid

Maybe the hit-and-run on the power plant in Return of Godzilla.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Burkion posted:

If they're smart

I haven't seen Shin, but knowing English scenes in Toho movies like I do, it was likely pretty bad.

Yeah...there were a few actors who actually had English as a first language, but they were still not great actors. Thankfully they had pretty minor characters. Then there was the woman who probably didn't have English as anything but a half-remembered class from school, and she sounded...really bad. (Unfortunately she was also a major character :v:)

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Anyone else concerned about the box office prospects of Kong: Skull Island and, by extension, Legendary's commitment to continuing its giant monster franchise?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Waffleman_ posted:

The Japanese release is sometime this month, Funimation has not given word on their US release.

I think the rule of thumb is that you can expect it to be at least 3 months later than the Japanese release. As an added headache, the Japanese release usually won't have English subtitles, so don't expect there to be a usable BluRay rip floating around anytime soon either

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

We've confirmed no English subs, right?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Burkion posted:

Miki was basically the protagonist of the Heisei era.

I'm not sure that that was necessarily a good thing,

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

if I had the time and resources I would destroy every copy of Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla that exists upon the earth okay thank you

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Burkion posted:

Real talk

Space Godzilla is the worst Godzilla movie right?

Like the actual worst one. No qualifiers no exceptions

Of the Godzilla movies commonly though of as being among the worst, Spacegodzilla is about the only one that doesn't seem to have passionate defenders or obvious redeeming qualities. Maybe Godzilla vs. Mothra: Battle for Earth comes close.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

First two look like Manda, though maybe they're both renders of the head of the third one, which looks like a more Edgy Rodan design, which I'm not too thrilled at the prospect of.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Charles Dance is gonna be in the next American Godzilla movie and I legitimately can't wait to see how they manage to waste a great character actor this time around.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Detective No. 27 posted:

Who did they waste in the last movie?

David Strathairn and Sally Hawkins. Two Oscar nominees given garbage roles.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Choco1980 posted:

Juliette Binoche was pretty wasted in Godzilla 2014 I'd say.

She at least had something to do (die, unfortunately), but Sally Hawkins had a character that could have been portrayed just as efficiently by an extra off the street. It was such a waste.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

oh no only two of those movies are good :(

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

DeimosRising posted:

Where was "yucca province" supposed to be again?

edit: I just looked back at the blurb from the teaser and it says Yunnan - a real place. I think someone got autocorrected on the promotional image lmbo

yup

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Apparently Haruo Nakajima, the original Man in the Godzilla suit, has passed away. RIP :(

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

dentist toy box posted:

how much of a classic invasion of astro monster is even though the monsters are hardly in it.

seconded. Invasion of Astro Monster is probably in my Top 3 Godzilla movies.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Detective No. 27 posted:

Gidorah as a hero in GMK was weird.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Waffleman_ posted:

I wasn't expecting to see a Tencent logo in front of Kong, but I guess it's not surprising given how important China has become to blockbusters.

isn't Legendary wholly owned by that Chinese conglomerate now?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

That doesn't really say that there will be a winner, just that he wants there to be one. I doubt the script's even been written yet.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Burkion posted:

Rodan is a strong competitor for best non Godzilla movie.

Rodan wins this category easily.

War of the Gargantuas is fun, but the movie's momentum is brought to a screeching halt by the awful musical number.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Wizchine posted:

Same. Life lost a wee bit of its luster that day.

Thankfully I was in Kindergarten when G98 came out, so it took me several years to realize it was bad.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Dark Horse also had a comic to this effect, which featured an attack by one of the above mentioned giant radioactive ticks.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

DC Murderverse posted:

Godzilla Final Wars is the most 2004 movie.

every time I see the Godzilla vs. Godzilla 1998 fight I assume that the awful Sum41 track has been added in by 12-year old youtubers and then I remember, no, that was actually in the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Fun fact: James Hong worked on the American dub of the original Godzilla in 1955.

Another, probably more widely-know, fun fact is that George Takei did a lot of dubbing work for the stateside release of Godzilla Raids Again, which over here became Gigantis the Fire Monster via a process best left to the imagination.