Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Ghost Leviathan posted:

My first observation is that the left head is the dumb one.

Lefty was cool and I just loved the fact that the heads had distinct personalities.

I loved this big, dumb, stupid movie with all my heart. The human plotline was compelling enough. The only character I hated was Rick Stanton, since literally every line out of his mouth was a quip. He wasn't a character, he just made awful jokes and drank a few times. The monsters were all great, the action scenes were fun, and I was really into Sherizawa's whole arc, possibly because I rewatched the original Godzilla a few days earlier.

It's definitely not perfect but it was extremely fun and those ending credits were incredibly cool and full of world building that I hope we get to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Minus One was one hell of a movie, and it was pretty great to see it in a packed theater on a Saturday morning with an audience that was about as diverse as any I've ever been in. Families, teens, old people - not necessarily what I would have expected for a Godzilla movie, let alone a subtitled Godzilla movie.

My favorite Godzilla movie used to rotate between the original and Shin Godzilla, now this is right up there as well. Great stuff that I will gladly be rewatching once I can get it on Blu Ray.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

flashy_mcflash posted:

Still thinking about the final battle and they're getting ready to launch part of the offensive and the battleship just comes flying past them. Godzilla owns.

A guy in the theater went "HOLY poo poo!" at that moment, what a way to instantly raise the danger level.

Big Mac posted:

The monster design was tremendous.

This was one of my favorite details as well and a fun way to kind of tie all the Godzilla movies into some sort of cohesive narrative.

They firmly show that Godzilla existed before the bomb tests, he's some kind of deep sea dinosaur that legends have sprung up about. Then the bomb turns him into this constantly growing, constantly regenerating, constantly evolving monstrosity. So everything that happens beyond 1947 could be the same creature, or parts of this creature, growing and changing based on outside conditions.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Godzilla x Kong looks like an ideal popcorn movie to me. I'm hoping the human stuff is better than Godzilla vs Kong, but I don't have high hopes for it.

I'm also totally cool with King Kong discovering a big society of apes. It feels weirdly like he's earned it, viewing everything from Skull Island on as one big journey. He spends most of his life alone, then humans come and mess with him, then he gets a rival and eventual friend in Godzilla, and now he discovers there are other giant apes like him out there. It's cheesy as hell but I'm all for it.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

I saw this last night. It's a very dumb movie but I enjoyed it for what it was. I wanted to see Kong and Godzilla smashing stuff and fighting, and it gave me that. The character stuff was VASTLY improved from Godzilla vs Kong (at least imho) so I never felt like stuff was dragging between the monster fights. It also helped that the humans were mostly in a pretty visually interesting world, rather than a bunch of boring industrial buildings and underground bases and stuff.

And maybe I'm overly sentimental but all the Kong stuff worked for me, I really enjoyed his character stuff and how expressive he was. Showering in the waterfall after getting monster goop all over him and just looking tired, I dunno, it worked for me. He's this big lonely monster who's getting older, I dug that.

Godzilla did a vertical suplex to Kong, too, so I'm happy.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Trapper was alright but he might as well have had a neon sign floating over him at the beginning that said "THIS IS THE COOL NEW CHARACTER PLEASE LIKE HIM".

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

GateOfD posted:

there was no reason to have the podcast guy there at all

They cut back so much of the human cast (thank God) but I don't know why he made the cut.

Just in general, "conspiracy theorist who's actually RIGHT!" is probably a character type we can retire for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Mechani-Kong tease.