Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Does make me wonder how the Legendaryverse will take on the weirder Kaiju, if at all. Pacific Rim had its own handwave with interdimensional alien biotech, but the Legendary films are focusing more on the ancient superspecies angle, which I have to admit I really like, because obscure and weird evolutionary dead ends are awesome.

They might go for magical realism at the very least with Mothra, Hedorah has been hinted at, and Ghidorah... I get the feeling they might throw a curveball and have him be an outright alien organism when everyone assumes another ancient superspecies, but we'll hafta see. Aliens would be a big genre intrusion on the more nature-horror themed films. (Though I also like the idea of Ghidorah being mutant conjoined triplets, too horrible to die)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

well why not posted:

If they keep up the prehistoric leftovers angle, there's stuff like Megalodon and giant squid. They could MUTO up a few of those and be good for a while. I agree that adding clear-cut aliens would likely be a mistake - very easy to mishandle.

Skull Island outright has a giant squid. Also about the first clear cut case of one Kaiju preying on another for the purpose of food.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mechagodzilla is pretty much the original Jaeger, right? Wouldn't be surprised if that's the natural escalation of humanity having to deal with monsters, creating their own monster to try and fight them. Possibly a bio-mechanical being made out of Kaiju remains, since they're the only materials strong and versatile enough to make a giant robot work.

Oh hey, if they're hinting the Oxygen Destroyer, that's a different way of escalating.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

PriorMarcus posted:

Don't the Muto's eat and lay eggs in Godzillas and the Skullcrawlers eat Kongs? Or do you mean specifically shown on screen?

The latter, not just implied or stated.

(also, it's apparently called the Mire Squid, and is a squid/octopus hybrid, or at least an evolutionary offshoot with aspects of both)

The Kaiju must be made of incredibly strong and exotic materials just to beat the square cube law, Pacific Rim even played on how Kaiju bodies are gold mines for scavengers. Wouldn't be surprised if both the Pacific Rim and Godzilla sequels played on humans finding uses for Kaiju body parts. Apparently one version of Mechagodzilla was already basically an EVA.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Would be interesting if they assume Ghidorah must be another ancient, mutated superspecies, then with considerable difficulty they get a sample from him and realise it's not remotely like any terrestrial creature, including Godzilla.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That weirdly gives me Nier: Automata vibes. Earth being rendered effectively uninhabitable to humans and the survivors fleeing to space does sound like the logical endpoint of having Kaiju around, Pacific Rim specifically demonstrated the concept is a slow apocalypse.

Also reminded of Half-Century War; 'Half the world was in ruins and the other half was waiting its turn'.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Given they've hinted Hedorah was involved in The Great London Smog, I wonder what take they'll have on him in the more naturalistic Legendary movies. Some kinda creature adapted to volcanic environments or mutated by pollution?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Godzilla, Kong and Mothra vs Ghidorah, one for each head.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I hope we get a glimpse of how balls to the walls insane the Permian period must have been.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Burkion posted:

Imagine Godzilla being on that island

Everything would be irrelevant to him. All of the Skull Crawlers could come at him at once and he'd probably not even notice.

The saddest thing is that when Kong gets to be his size, he won't fit on that island anymore either

Something something, Plato's Cave is Skull Island, going both ways.

Godzilla 14 is said to have ended up 'Godzilla taming humanity', wondering what it'll mean for Kong to become aware of the greater world, both the countless humans and their toys in the present and the titans of the past who are his only remaining peers.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Godzilla seems nonplussed by the Golden Gate Bridge before he's attacked and it becomes the path of least resistance, there seems to be a subtle theme of him slowly becoming more aware of what the teeny things around him are doing, and that they are capable of affecting things on his scale, like destroying the MUTO nest.

On the other hand, Kong is paying attention to the humans from the start, especially when they start blowing up his home for no apparent reason.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Good subtext works perfectly well while also having perfectly plausible if boring actual explanations for why what goes on goes on in the movie.

The MUTOs seem to be very well received despite being quite different from the 'classic' kind of monsters, being of a more biology-informed design than the usual heavily thematic Kaiju. Which as a fan of weird prehistoric critters I have to say I love, but still. It helps that it informs their characterisation and behaviour, and even gives them a sympathetic moment with their affectionate meeting.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm reminded of the 2006 Skull Island apparently being literally crumbling and shrinking (makes sense with how the geography is portrayed) from its original size, according to supplementary material, causing all the megafauna to enter a brutal death spiral of natural selection at its worst, not to mention the humans on the island literally clinging to the edges as it falls apart.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

King vs. Kong. It's a melodrama about King Kong seeking to become the world champion at Donkey Kong.

But seriously... given the characterisation Godzilla and Kong have been given, I think they've actually set things up for an interesting encounter. A bit like and unlike Beavis, both characters are orphans and endlings, only ones of their kind in the world, but Kong is like a man at large, outgrowing his home and likely even his connections with the little scrambling humans he finds some empathy with, while Godzilla is far older, truly ancient, battle-worn and unknowable. In a way, they could be brothers, if they can get over how they're so drat different and find the most basic way to communicate.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Godzilla 2014 has bugs who gently caress.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

K. Waste posted:

It's a visual parallel to the Brodys being reunited at the beginning of the film.

Zilla reproduces asexually.

I mean the bugs even don't just gently caress, they date, cuddle and start a nuclear family.

Also given they came from the same parasitised Godzillasaurus corpse it seems implicitly incestuous.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Their family is depicted as a force that will destroy everything else in the world for their own short prosperity. Also, they literally use a ticking nuclear bomb to warm their children, seeing a weapon that would inevitably destroy them as the perfect foundation for their family.

What I'm saying is, the real monsters are Baby Boomers.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And someone, probably SMG, brought this up before, but a big underlying theme of Godzilla 2014 is the beauty and terror of the idea of true, universal family. A man has to reunite with his estranged father, who he has probably good reasons to dislike due to him going off running after crazy echolocating monsters rather than being a father, but in turn has to leave his own son behind in the process. The MUTOs would destroy everything for their family, while as they share a glance amid the ruins of San Francisco, Brody and Godzilla realise that they have a commonality, that the human soldier and the ancient monster are part of an extended family of Earth's inhabitants who must learn to coexist if they are to survive, to unite against those who would destroy all seeking their own gain.

And I've said a bunch of times, but I really love the 'naturalistic' approach to Kaiju in the more recent movies, like they've taken inspiration from nature documentaries, taken Walking With Dinosaurs to its most awesomely ridiculous conclusion. They can be allegorical beings and monsters of myth, but also like animals that could exist in the world, at least before you think about it for five seconds. People go to zoos for a reason, animals are interesting and we see both familiar and strange things in them, and Kaiju are animals at massive scale to make it all the more clear.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I mean, I suppose this isn't a wrong way to describe evangelion.

It might be wrong in that it's barely under the hood. More like a hood ornament if anything.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

K. Waste posted:

Ah, so it's like Crash with mechs

A key thing is that it's an anime that clearly really, really hates anime and its fans, while also being so anime it invented new things for anime to be anime about.

Also written by a guy who was very clearly in the middle of a mental breakdown, and it also may have been intended to fail as part of a financial scheme and ended up with The Producers-esque unexpected success, since a couple of Gainax execs went to jail.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think a lot of it is a supposedly typical 'Teenage boy pilots mech built by long-lost father' plot (I have no idea if this is actually typical. Though oddly enough it ties into Brody) and actually looking at what kind of parent would abandon their child and then have them pilot a superweapon. (A really lovely one, it turns out!) Not to mention how hosed up the situation would have to be to have teenagers fighting wars in giant machines in the first place. Shinji starts out maladjusted because he's been seemingly abandoned by his parents and foisted off on apathetic relatives in the middle of the apocalypse, then gets worse from generous heaps of PTSD.

The closest Western counterpart thematically I can think of is The Venture Bros, funnily enough, and that's mostly because of the contest for Worst Animated Dad.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Godzilla vs a giant Steve Irwin.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Either that or Dave Chappelle.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kinda ironic given it's a certain kind of brand engagement that's poisoned Joss Whedon's brands harder after the revelation that he fucks vulnerable women all the time. Which really shouldn't have been a surprise in context, but the theme of 2017 is the world being sucked into the Irony Dimension.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The prequels were probably one of the first major cases of a movie everyone simply expected to be brilliant that upon reflection (which even casual audiences would find themselves doing with what was inescapably marketed and referenced) really didn't hold up.

Basically, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpYEJx7PkWE

Bad movies can and do make lots of money. Key thing is, they don't necessarily have lasting appeal, and are often completely forgotten in the long run. I'm pretty sure most people who watch the Bayformers movies have forgotten 99% of what happened in them by the time they leave the cinema.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

If the prequels were beloved and fondly remembered, TFA probably wouldn't have been trying so desperately hard to distance itself from them, to the point of cutting context for the plot because of fears that too much 'boring politics' would send audiences into PTSD attacks.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

New topic; what might the hinted Legendary-verse version of Hedorah be like?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I was 8 when it came out and ended up having to leave the cinema because I was scared. And possibly also bored.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think kaiju movies tend to prove that the natives of any country love seeing their national monuments and cities spectacularly destroyed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Every movie hero is turning into Batman. Bond is Batman, Kong is Batman, I'm sure Han Solo will be Batman.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm just going to pretend I recited the entire DK Rap here to save time.

Gotta admit, a young child surrounded by the corpses of his parents is still a powerful image.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

MONARCH for all they're built up as don't seem to be able to do anything right.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mantis42 posted:

Its unnecessary though. The throughline is giant monsters existing. Not every shared universe needs a SHIELD analogue.

You say that, but SHIELD actually fought Godzilla for a while.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I doubt anyone will remember by the time it shows up in a movie, including me, but my bet is the Legendary version of Hedorah will be a gastropod or something similar that adapted to thrive in volcanic ash during some particularly geologically catastrophic era of the Earth, and thus is most at home today in horribly polluted environments.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

...I wouldn't think so? They're pretty different in setup and tone, and the current continuities would be mutually exclusive.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I didn't get the 'Jeagers=nukes' thing til you spelled it out, but it suddenly makes a fuckload of sense. And that basically makes them slightly more subtle Metal Gears. (note that the only Metal Gears to survive a game's story are the non-nuclear equipped ones)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Probably a difference between the 90s where they reckoned it was as good as they were going to get, and the 10s where there seems to be a lot more confidence in more faithful adaptations of foreign franchises.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

As we've established, Skull Island does the usual thing with modern movie heroes and turns him into Batman.

Interesting that most depictions of Skull Island are a nightmarish hell of giant creepy crawlies, dinosaurs and missing links, while K:SI explicitly works it into the Kaiju creature mythos they're going for; a place where the full giant ecosystem still survives, giving a hint of what the world was like when titans walked it every day- and a society where people have learned to accept the Kaiju and live alongside them. The 2005 one by contrast is a Darwinian nightmare, walled off by terrified degenerate tribespeople, and apparently the geography is meant to indicate that the island is shrinking, causing a horrific escalation of survival of the fittest as everything fights over dwindling territory and resources.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's kind of an obvious contrast between them; Kong obviously has a lot more in common with humans, being a primate and a social being (which compounds his tragedy that he has no family or peers left) while Godzilla is far older, far more different and more mysterious in his actions and motivations.

It is established that Kong and his species have generally been relatively friendly towards humans and protected them (so long as the humans aren't attacking them or blowing poo poo up for no reason) compared to Godzilla barely acknowledging them. That seems like a pretty logical setup for a conflict; Kong kinda likes humans (maybe we're like adorable tiny monkeys) while Godzilla doesn't care much about the collateral damage he causes just by moving around, even if he might be ultimately the one thing keeping the planet from a Kaiju apocalypse. (a fair few Godzilla works, including Half-Century War and Final Wars, aren't subtle about how the rise of all of the Kaiju is basically Ragnarok for humanity)

On another note, I liked the Skull Islanders of Skull Island; less horrifically racist 'degenerate superstitious tribesfolk' more still problematic but at least better 'mysterious natives with connections to ancient secrets beyond the modern world's understanding', but their attitude and culture seems interestingly different and suited to the harsh life of surviving Skull Island, with their voiceless communication and stoic personalities resembling Kong himself. And all the make-up makes it look like they don't talk much before everything you need to know is literally written on their face, and body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Seems like both of the major King Kong remakes were fairly well recieved and box office hits, only to be pretty quickly forgotten.