Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Long time Godzilla fan, first time thread poster. I was really excited to see that and... I was not so hot on it.

Whole movie spoilers
The spectacle of it all was certainly amazing (got to see an atmos screening - kickass sound mixing) and I wasn't surprised to read afterwards that the director was a fan of GMK, especially with the way Godzilla was emitting some weird light at the end. But.. that plot?? I picked up on all of the themes of regret and of the main character wanting to redeem himself and so on, but then you deliver the ending to us in a Dark Knight Rises way? Why? Why was that necessary? I was so engaged with the story until that cheap rear end rug pull. I honestly think I would have been more on the edge of my seat if we knew about the ejector seat. Shikishima did not seem like a man who would use it. I dunno, the action was really tense, the monster bits were good, but I am kind of shocked that the general reaction from reviewers is "the human stuff in a Godzilla movie is finally good!"

Also - is this the first Japanese Godzilla movie where we actually see Godzilla bite a human directly and intentionally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Maybe I'm bad at watching movies or something, I caught the line about ejector seats but I was unsure if the German writing on the seat was something that was possibly just present because of sharing tech between Germany/Japan since the plane was experimental. Either way, it felt like they went out of their way to show that Shikishima's intention was to die what with leaving the money and the "thanks for everything" to the neighbor, which is why I think making the ejector seat thing clear in the scene that they removed it from would've worked for me.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

About that at the final scene that you see Noriko, Koichi, and Akiko, you can see a dark mark on Noriko's neck. That mark is a mass of Godzilla cells according to the director. :smith:

:smugjones:

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I am not caught up on the current american zillaverse at all - is skull island a necessary and/or fun watch? I’m open to it if it’s good regardless of plot necessity

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Alright, I’m in for skull island then. Thanks all!

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

If you’re looking for less silly type of Godzilla then it’s pretty hard to recommend a lot of Showa era stuff outside of the original. The only really egregious missteps in the Heisei/Millennium films are Space Godzilla and Megaguirus, I think.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Big Mac posted:

If Godzilla showed up for real I can promise - as a huge man - I'd poo poo my pants so hard that movie audiences would all hear it. Even over my ear-splitting scream.

This is why Shin works so well for me, I don’t know what it is about Anno but he figured out some angle for portraying large things in animation and live action where they just seem appropriately pants shittingly huge and unnatural.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Raids Again is very bad and I frequently forget it exists.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Jean Reno chewing gum to look american still cracks me up

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Rewatched 2014 in my “watch the monsterverse movies” mission. Enjoyed it a lot more than the first couple of times, but that 6.4 on IMDb is totally warranted and maybe even a bit high.

-Lots of great location shooting and the CGI was really well done overall, amazing how much different and better movie making was even just 10 years ago before everyone was locked into a studio with a green screen for the most part
-Dialogue writing sort of sucked. Some really clunky moments that are fine by movie logic but really stuck out here (particularly Serizawa’s dramatic “them” to get Kick-rear end and Walter White involved in the military plot
-I absolutely love the idea that all of the nuclear tests were because they knew about Godzilla and were trying to kill it
-Only getting the TV snippets of the Hawaii fight still feels like such a robbery
-Godzilla is so gray. I always thought toys of this Zilla looked bad and shittily painted, but no…he’s just gray
-Everything with Kick-rear end’ wife and kids is awful, it honestly seems like their existence and plots were tacked on at the last minute to have someone in danger when the action happens, like the bus getting stuck on the bridge or the wife in the shelter downtown
-This movie really would’ve benefitted by having ~20 minutes left on the cutting room floor, by the time stuff is really getting good in San Francisco I’m sort of tired of the movie

Think I’ll just go in release order and watch Kong: Skull Island next.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I don’t have any problem with the color, it’s how relentlessly gray it is. I think it’s because it doesn’t really have the big expressive eyes that the suits had that makes it seem like it’s sort of flat or something.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I have the later version, I swapped when it came out. It’s not a hugely colorful film either way.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

my showing at regal didn’t even have trailers they just did the poo poo where they basically show tv commercials and then rolled straight into the movie about 15 minutes after the advertised start time

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Watched Kong: Skull Island in my quest to catch up on the monsterverse. Totally kick rear end, no notes. It rules.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Godzilla vs Biollante

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

final wars is my big dumb room temperature IQ adult son and I love him

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I really tried with Gamera but I can’t help but feel like it’s one of those cases where, yes, they’re pretty decent but earnestly saying they’re better than the Godzilla films of the same era feels like some underdog rooting thing.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

no one is gay or black so it’s anti woke, duh!! you’ve been owned, disney!

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I think I would have liked it better if my parents did that instead of just telling me not to play with the ones that made sound

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

CelticPredator posted:

Because it seems like toho keeps doing one and done movies and it would be cool to see a minus +1.

Shin Godzilla 2 could’ve been dope with those creepy rear end tail monsters :(

I will be holding out hope still for some sort of eventual continuation. Even if it’s animated or something, please

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I was the opposite and was really into the start of SKR and then was bored by the end. I’ve never really been a huge Rider fan and I was hoping it would convert me

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I actually think the melodrama of the death note anime really works for it, it fits with the tone of light thinking he’s an all powerful god. perfect, no notes

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I know Raids Again is widely disliked so it’s not a hot take to say it’s bad but I almost feel like it’s not hated enough.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

lmfao

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He just wanted to give him an anime power glove because he thought it looked wicked cool

this is the only explanation I accept on poo poo like this if you try to explain it with some plot bullshit and justify it you’re a loving nerd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

No English subs on the Japanese 4K, it has hit files sites