Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Variety show from last Friday in Japan. Surprise! Shin Godzilla is all mocap, not a rubber suit at all (although there is some puppetry obviously with that shaking head/roar scene)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPUxmgdwwbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Shin Godzilla SFX breakdowns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66SAVZ4JxY8

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

God damnit the Alamo Drafthouse better show it here in SF.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Pyswagoras posted:

http://www.funimationfilms.com/movie/shingodzilla/

440 theaters across the US and Canada. Tickets on sale through Funimation beginning September 9th.

where does it say anything about the theaters? I see nothing on the site that mentions that? Is it in Flash or something stupid like that?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Bimmi posted:

Greatest Godzilla sequence is the first ten minutes of 2002. Also, please dig trailer of same:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cotXakan9ng

This made me realize I never saw this or SOS. In fact the Millennium series is one that I've mostly forgotten about. It didn't help that I find Final Wars to be garbage.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Good photo to show anyone who thinks Shin's second form is too "unrealistic". I still think that SG is a mutated frilled shark or close cousin.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

K. Waste posted:

Hot-take: Godzilla vs. Megalon is hella underrated.

I have a HUGE soft spot for G vs Mega because I saw it in the theater when it got it's American release (the only Godzilla film I got to see in the theater for it's release until Godzilla 1984). The Megalon/Gaigan tag team stuff is hilarious.

But I also admit it's a terrible loving movie.

Edit: I can watch pretty much any Godzilla film no problem and enjoy most of them, but most of the Heisei movies were just meh at best (and loving horrible at worst) to me and the Heisei Gamera movies clowned them. Of course, the only three Godzilla movies I absolutely love are Godzilla, G vs. Hedorah, and Shin Godzilla.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 4, 2018

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

So has anyone else watched Godzilla: City on the Edge Of Battle yet?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The distinct lack of actually introducing Mothra was a big let-down imo. Stoked that Gidorah will be in the third and final episode. Earth Godzilla is still amazingly powerful, but no actual Mecha Godzilla after it was promised was also a bummer, although I did like the Vultures quite a bit.

Edit: Also the more I see Earth Godzilla's heat beam the more I like how it functions.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 19, 2018

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Choco1980 posted:

Zone Fighter slowly walks away as the sad Hulk music plays

Redman jumps out of nowhere and stabs the poo poo out of Ghidora

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm a collector of old style soft vinyl kaiju and I'm going to have a shot at getting one of Sunguts' new Shin Godzillas in February and I'm loving stoked. :cool:

https://twitter.com/SUNGUTS/status/1074303830676799489

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

poo poo the croc from Rampage was “Not Angiras” enough that it could have been a good substitute in the Legendary Godzillaverse

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ramen Pride! posted:

I love knockoff Godzillas. Here's one I picked up at a flea market. I love the whack colors, they're just so wrong. I wonder if it's actually worth anything?

The Sunguts one is actually licensed; it's just in a real Showa-Era style. I think M-1 has also put out one with that 70s styling but it's not nearly as good. Kayodo and X-Plus put out movie-real style ones that are loving enormous (I still kind of want one but where I would put it and the $1200 price tags are no gos for me).

There are collectors of bootleg figures, but I don't know much about them.

Edit: Sunguts has also put out Form 2 and Form 3 Shin Godzillas in his series and they are all in scale with each other.

Edit 2: the Kaiyodo Shin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDWEAKAKF1M

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 3, 2019

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

K. Waste posted:

From what I remember reading G-Fan, there's actually a whole separate cottage industry of daikaiju/tokusatsu merchandise and collectible figurines that do all sorts of wacky color palettes and more or less original designs just because it looks cute/cool.

Yeah that's a big part of the soft vinyl world. Nonetheless, that one pictured looks like a generic Chinese knock-off to be honest.

Ramen Pride! is there any markings on the bottom of that figure's feet at all? If so, please take a photo and I can tell you if it's a Japanese maker or not.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/abogado4213/status/1080802047778119680

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah the idea that we are going to have the opportunities to see these 4 chonk boys on IMAX wrecking poo poo is loving BANANAS

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Arcsquad12 posted:

G14 would have been better if Jared Keeso's cameo hadn't been as the jumpmaster but as his character from Letterkenny. Small-town Ontarians versus Kaiju.

lmao I would watch the hell out of this

"I was fighting a kaiju the other day..."

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

That whole line is amazing. The box art was by a famous painter of kaiju and ultras and M1 got him to do a series for new releases of those tricycles (the originals were in the 60s-70s) and he passed away right after he completed the art. I really wish M1 would make prints, because I would buy a high quality giclee of the Matango trike box art.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I should have included the photo>

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I just finished watching the final Godzilla Earth movie on Netflix. It keeps the slow pace for sure, but I found it to be a satisfying ending even though the movies, like Godzilla in this series, is lumbering and clumsy. Better than the second film for sure but still not a must see or anything. Glad I watched it, but I doubt I'll ever see them again.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah those toys are butt. Still if I was an 8 year old they would probably rule. Nonetheless, I've pre-ordered the SH Figuarts Gidorah.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The elf dudes are X Seijin in this dimention. They needed those slit-shades.

Edit: even Mothra was a cop-out in these movies.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Nroo posted:

Showa era rules, Heisei era drools

:hai:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Other than Shin Godzilla, are there any other 4K Godzilla movies on UHD?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

My main problem with GMK (and a that Orga kaiju as well) is that the monsters seemed like they belonged more in a weekly tokusatsu show than in the Godzilla franchise. Monster X was loving dumb as poo poo.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

UmOk posted:

What are the "good" Godzilla movie?

Godzilla (1954)
Godzilla Vs Hedorah (1971)
Shin Godzilla (2016)

The rest are entertaining as hell but personally those are the only ones I found threatening and horrific (even though Hedorah has some incredibly goofy poo poo in it)

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Oh yeah for sure. I mean I love the hell out of Godzilla talking to Rodan because it’s incredibly fun.

Edit; I’m getting the Shin Godzilla UHD soon but will double dip if Critereon puts out their copy of Shin.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Shiroc posted:

Did Criterion ever end up doing anything with all of the Showa Godzilla movies they got the rights to past the original?

The Criterion channel went tits up so i'm not even sure if they were even aired since they never announced disk releases :(

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

In other franchise worlds, now that Tsuburaya has won the full rights of Ultraman back I'm hoping that the many Ultra series will get legit subtitled Blu Ray releases in the States. I'm contemplating picking up the new Ultraman Leo blu ray release in Tokyo next month, but the downside is that the Japan releases don't get english subs and also cost a fuckload of money (I believe it's around $400 for Leo).

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Now that I think about it, Ultra Q would be a perfect fit for a Criterion Blu Ray release.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah Seven is definitely one of the absolute best of the Ultra Series for sure. Episode 8, The Targeted Town, is considered one of the best episodes of all the series.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Davros1 posted:

What's the official pronunciation of "Ghidorah"?

Ghee-Door-Ah?

Ghee-dra?

Yes.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Burkion posted:

Kong's got a lot of growing to do in 30-ish years

~47 years. Skull Island takes place in 1973

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

CelticPredator posted:

Kong seemed way bigger than that in Skull Island.

I know what you mean, but when I saw the Gundam at Odaiba in Japan (16 meters tall) I was loving FLOORED at just how loving BIG it was, and that’s just about half of SI Kong’s height. We are used to seeing 5 story tall buildings, but when you see something bipedal that are those heights, it’s mind boggling. I’m just shy of 6 feet tall and I came up to the Gundam’s ankle.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I was just going to post that Gidorah haha. It’s amazing

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The fact that they will make sofubi that match the suits perfectly is amazing, but when they do special ones where it is colored to match a set of theater cards, well that is something special.

The "Destroy All Monsters" full kaiju set they did recently is :monocle:

I've bought 5 X-Plus kaiju. Some are way out of my price range, but the ones I get are so loving worth it.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Uncle Wemus posted:

What movie was rainbow ghidorah from? :confused:

Apparently it was his planned original color scheme. All that exist of it are a few photos now.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Now I anxiously await the 2019 Gidorah to be photoshopped with those colors.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I just was there and that was one of the last things I saw and it is AMAZING.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Also this ketchup dispenser was one of the highlights of WonFes imo.

https://twitter.com/degochi/status/1094383115890352128