Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Hi thread, Godzilla '54 is one of my favorite movies, but then I watched Raids Again (ugh) and King of the Monsters '56 (ew) and lost steam. My secret shame is that I haven't seen any other 'zillas.

My 2024 resolution is to watch all the movies, starting obviously with the Showa stuff. I watched Mothra vs. Godzilla today and it kicked rear end. Gonna share my thoughts as I work through it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Watched Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster last night, and it was... fine. If Godzilla was great, and Mothra vs. Godzilla was good, this one was "fine". It felt like too much crammed into its run time. I LOVE King Ghidorah as a monster design, but the whole Venusian princess plot didn't really click with me. I loved seeing the tiny women from Infant Island again though.

3 out of 5 stars.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Kick rear end, gimme more big budget kaijus

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I had no idea there even was a Pacific Rim sequel

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I've always found this to be a boring entry. Invasion of the Astro-Monster is superior IMO, it's helped that the alien/human stuff is way more fun and goofy.

However if I'm not mistaken this is when Toho began their nasty stock footage habit, and I'm a firm believer in docking points for that, rather than viewing the movie as something on its own or in a vacuum, i.e. pretending it isn't recycled material.

I just finished Invasion of the Astro-Monster and... fun and goofy is a good way to describe it! My biggest complaint is the extreme lack of kaiju in this kaiju movie. If you watch as a trippy weirdo alien movie, it's a lot of fun, but I was hoping for more Godzilla/Rodan/Ghidorah!

3/5 stars.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

surf rock posted:

edit: apparently they made this film on a shoestring budget? Alright, I'm impressed with what they were able to do effects-wise then.

The word on the street was $15million, but recently Takashi Yamazaki said he "wished he could have gotten $15mil", so probably less than that. Definitely low budget for what it was.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Please, Toho, please, I just want to give you money for English subtitles.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Working my way through all the Zilla movies, just finished Ebirah Horror of the Deep, and it might be my new favorite after the original. I feel like they're really hitting a stride of how to balance the human and monster parts, and I actually got invested in the human story this time, for the first time since Mothra. 4 out of 5, on to Son of Godzilla

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
More thoughts as I work through all the movies:

King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)
Filling in a gap from earlier in my Godzilla journey when this wasn't on streaming. It's still not, but I found a copy. Honestly, a sort of forgettable entry. I will say that it had lot more "feel" of the original Godzilla than some of the later movies I've been watching. I did like the corporate greed angle, which seems like a natural place to go from both Godzilla and Kong being involved. Actual monster fighting was okay but nothing special.
3 out of 5 stars.

Godzilla (2014)
Godzilla (1998)
I'm reviewing these two together because I think it's an interesting juxtaposition. Godzilla 2014 is a beautiful film that lacks any sort of ... heart, or teeth, or anything memorable really. When Godzilla's on screen, great! It's good! But the MUTO? Completely uninspired design when it comes to Kaiju. Holding the MUTO up next to Mothra or Ghidorah or hell even Ebirah, there's just nothing there. It's like a monster designed by focus group. And the whole movie feels like that.
On the flip side of this is Godzilla 1998, which is a garbage film that goes on way too long, BUT, at least it has some soul to it. There are actually memorable and interesting design choices in '98. Aside from that? Garbage. If they made 2014 with the heart and soul of '98, we'd have a winner. I feel like 9/11 is to blame somehow, but I don't have a good explanation yet.
3 stars for Godzilla 2014
2 stars for Godzilla 1998