Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I wanted to see the weird poo poo that happens in his head when Serizawa's son psychically bonds with the remnants of a dead space god, instead I got fluoride jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Ok

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It can't really be over-emphasized how much this blows as a mystery narrative.

This frustrated me more than anything else, it's a complete waste of time revealing a mystery that no one was even really keeping secret.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Ford's gentleness as a person in G14 is such a big contrast to typical Hollywood military men that it really made me like the character. I've seen a lot of people read him as a flat character but I never felt that.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

CelticPredator posted:

Godzilla already hosed up mass in KOTM!

One of my all time most surreal moments in a theater watching this one right down the street from Fenway Park and not knowing that it was going to be in the movie getting Godzillad

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Picked up the Criterion Godzilla set (it really is insanely large) and the original film still holds up so well, they absolutely nailed the sound design right from the start and the elemental dread is so good

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Should go the classic Godzilla route and reuse main actors in completely unrelated roles in each movie

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I had no idea there was a Criterion restoration of Rodan, watching it now and it's great! I'd only previously seen it dubbed on VHS. I don't remember it being so graphic. Also it's a movie from 1956 with the coal industry guys laughing at the idea of global warming so that's something.

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 3, 2022

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Maxwell Lord posted:

Did they actually do a restoration themselves? I just knew they had it on their channel.

Would be nice to see that get a disc release, War of the Gargantuas too. (And who the hell owns US rights to Frankenstein Conquers the World these days, I've got a DVD but would be nice to see that in the wild.)

I'm not sure on the details but the only logos in front of it were Criterion and Janus so I assumed so. It looks awesome, I love the gross bugs

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

ET being disgusting instead of cute is great

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

something fun I noticed watching Gamera vs Guiron in HD is that the giant screen Daiei used for rear projections has a big ol' defect in it:

They're doing their best!
The screen they use gets worse with more tears and visible creases with each movie, it's wild

Super Monster is a lot of fun if it's your only Gamera movie. Watching it immediately after the rest is a bad time, but I still kind of love the space ladies

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 29, 2023

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

If they're going to go full goof they should bring back the speech bubbles from vs. Gigan

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Vintersorg posted:

I am trying to think of a property that is good no matter the quality and nothing comes to mind.

Godzilla is honestly pretty close for me but there are some real low points, I can't bring myself to watch Godzilla Raids Again again

Child's Play has no misses. Even #3 is just fine.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

A classic Showa era plot about how THEY control your mind through fluoride in water

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I still didn't love the jokes but I thought they were way less out of place than in the last two movies. The whole thing felt more tonally coherent, if narratively stupid. I want my own pet Shimo and my seven year old though it was a lot of fun so that's honestly good enough for me.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I'm the one who wants a Shimo film

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The Daimajin movies are kind of repetitive but I think it's fun to see three different directors film their own take on the story all within the same year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Mothra has always made cute noises what the heck