Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Just saw it. I immediately got a ticket for the next show.

The theater was Dolby Cinema. They have seats that vibrate with the bass. For most movies it's mildly annoying. For this though... It felt like Godzilla was in the theater. When he walked the whole place shook. It was incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Blooming Brilliant posted:

MUTO Talk: The MUTO at the end looked notably smaller. Maybe it was the camera work but it looked pretty tiny compared to the 2014 version. Probably didn't wanna cause poo poo with jacked-up Godzilla.

I want a whole movie of monkey mammoth by the way, he looked cool as hell.

Also on the fortune-cookie line, that was bad, and so was the gonorrhea line.

Also, pre-end of this movie the remaining MUTO(s) could still be aggressive towards Godzilla because he isn't King of the Monsters yet. They still remembered Ghidorah and therefore didn't respect Godzilla. But now he is the King and they/it submit to him.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
UN VETOES GODZILLA

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Overall it was good but I think I liked KOTM more (but I've always been a big Ghidorah fan).

The sea fight was really cool and Godzilla stalking them like a shark was a great visual. It actually reminded me a lot of the start of 20,000 leagues under the sea when the Nautilus is attacking the ships.

The Hong Kong fight part 1 wasn't as good for me as the Boston fight in KOTM. Just the two of them punching it out over who is the best. It didn't have the "This could be the end of the world" urgency. Adding Mecha to the fight improved it and I wish that had lasted a bit longer.

As for the human stuff... Eh. The girl being Kong's friend was nice and the only good plot. The MBB and team stuff was only good for my favorite exchange in the whole movie: "I only learned HTML at summer camp!" "Was it a 90s summer camp?!"

If they somehow got to do more of these movies... I'd love to see a prequel with Atlantis Godzilla vs Kong Kingdom. And then another sequel with Mecha Ghidorah.

Also the gravity vehicles would be an amazing theme park ride. Fly through hollow earth and then the middle of a Kong/Godzilla fight.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 1, 2021

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

also the native Iwi residents of Skull Island were wiped out by "a storm", which if you read between the lines presumably means King Ghidorah, in which case Monarch is effectively responsible for their genocide. and then they basically set up camp over their graves, built a prison for their god, and used the last survivor of their people to keep him docile.

:shepface:

I forget if that was already mentioned in KOTM but I feel like it was. But also wasn’t a giant storm already surrounding the island in Skull Island?

Another detail that was cool but didn't make sense:

When Kong puts the axe in the ground the lighted circle of energy looks like a Godzilla.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

What doesn't make sense about it?

The ancient Kong society used dead godzillas as a power source. This is definitely a brilliant idea that could never go wrong, has no parallels to what humanity is doing in the present, and couldn't possibly have anything to do with Kong civilization being wiped out. :v:

Just the part about using your enemy’s image to surround your throne. Like if the Oval Office was the Swastika Office.

But maybe the Kongs were not interior designers and it was just an effect of using the power?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Another thing...

Was Apex working with Monarch? It didn't seem like it but they were able to just borrow Kong from his Monarch cage and take him on a Navy fleet to a Monarch station.

Also they very quickly jumped between Hollow Earth is crackpot nonsense to oh it's easily proven by Apex satellites but Monarch still doesn't believe. Dr. Hollow Earth was ex-Monarch after the stuff with his brother and people not beliving his theories so he left. But Monarch built that huge facility over the hole in Antarctica and they had previously been aware of the portals in KOTM. So they did know but just stopped trying to figure it out?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
:viggo:

Umm I think you will find that Godzilla would be too large to stand on the deck of an aircraft carrier without sinking it.

What’s that?

It did sink?

Complaint withdrawn.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
If they can't make more Godzilla films after this couldn't Legendary still make Kong films for the Monsterverse? I'm not sure how his rights work (or if he is public domain now?).

It did fee like they were setting him up to lead the franchise in this movie.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/cnet/status/1377729397575327749?s=21

I assume it’s just the end of the movie with Kong and everyone in Hollow Earth. I don’t know what else it would be.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Just saw it in a Dolby Cinema. Try to find it in a large format screen.

Overall Very good. Agreed with that review above that the human story is compelling. The score was also excellent.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Sega 32X posted:

Folks who watched it: is it not for kids at all? My guy is a young preteen and watches all sorts of 80s PG/PG13 stuff (Ghostbusters, etc -- some swears, some scary stuff) and we watch Godzilla movies together, but I don't know if I should bring him and I haven't seen too much about gore, etc. (He was a bit bored with Edwards Godzilla and I don't think we will watch Shin for a few years, for reference).

Gore is pretty light. Blood on faces and shirts level stuff. People get stepped on but you don't see the results.

The worst is probably right at the beginning when (minor spoilers discribing violence in the opening scenes) soldiers are bitten in half and tossed through the air by small Godzilla. Similar to Jurassic Park's T-Rex

I'd be more worried your kid will be bored with the human story. There is much more of that than Godzilla himself.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 30, 2023

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I dunno, I guessed that was going to happen after there was a discussion about the Japanese government not putting ejection seats in their fighter planes, and then it's revealed that the maintenance crew had fitted a foreign-made seat in the Shinden local fighter and it didn't hit as hard for me

Yeah to me it was obviously telegraphed that the plane had an eject. Just as telegraphed as the telegraph that Noriko was still alive.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

garycoleisgod posted:

If I had to guess, that might have been because the classic theme can come across as villainous and Legendary Godzilla is working babyface pretty much 100% of the time.

Although it did rule when it played in King of the Monsters, so who knows? :shrug:

Hell yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2iUQ6sta_c

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Japan didn't put it up in the category (each country can only put up one film for nomination).

“Perfect Days,” was Japan's selection and it received a nomination.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Saw it. Overall I thought it was trash. Not even fun trash. Pacing issues all over the place. It was obvious they knew the human stuff wasn't good and just rushed through every scene but then it still felt like it took too long. Also they had two fights against water snake monsters back to back. Couldn't they have changed one of those up a little? Make Kong fight a big flying guy instead.

Scale of the monsters was just as much a problem as people thought it would be.

Even in the Cairo and Rio battles it felt wrong. We never really saw people. It didn't feel like they were fighting in a city. Just fighting around some building shaped objects.

Story was bad. Villian didn't feel like a big threat. Just an ape who was a bad leader. Not at all like Ghidorah or MechaGodzilla. Human stuff was rushed, as I sad before, but also failed to help set up any stakes. The exposition was rushed and was almost all Dr. Andrews talking while the cast of Hollow Earth natives had no lines in the entire film.

Music was bad too. Classic themes were out (maybe the smallest hint of one). They were trying and failing to be Guardians of the Galaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Binary Badger posted:

frankly, who's gonna tell big G he can't use the Coliseum as a big Fort Warms?

I thought he slept in the radioactive Atlantis?

Obligatory: Godzilla sleeps in a big bed with his wife.