Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yeah, just the right amount of mecha and chaos.

The second Godzilla seemed hokey to me. Shouldn't he be the size of a continent by now? Oh, it looks like humans on Earth also managed to survive for 20,000 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

If you're gonna have MechaGodzilla, then lets see the return of Jet Jaguar! Go all out!

Noted that they purposely avoided having any giant humanoid mecha (that's Pacific Rim territory anyways) but you'd hope they had slightly better weapons than speeder bikes, giant flying coffins, and legged tanks.

BTW, Part 2, Godzilla: Battle Mobile Breeding City is expected to release here in June/July 2018.

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/when-will-part-2-of-godzilla-be-on-netflix/

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jan 18, 2018

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Varan the Unbelievably Bad (US version)

Taken out by severe indigestion, he wanted to end it all

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Cythereal posted:

Y'know, I still wasn't sure I believed it in the second trailer. Super-X seemed just a bit too out there for Legendary. But, here we are.

If there's an aliens subplot and a goofy android who looks like an insurance salesman that'll be the icing on the cake :stoked:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

wdarkk posted:

The rocket is the real sfx star of the movie anyway.

That's the Moonlight SY-3 to you, mister!

Of whose commander had an amazing strategy: let the flaming flying saucer cook us to within an inch of our lives, then do loop-de-loops until it gets motion sickness and falls off, then we finish it off with a single missile strike

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 8, 2019

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Nroo posted:

All of the Heisei era films are inexplicably 15 minutes too long. But if you want the exact opposite of trimming a movie down for pacing, Archive.org has a fan-edit combining Return and 1985 into one film. It's 2 hours long.

Very good and illuminating, thanks for mentioning this.

They put back in a lot of context that was removed from the American dub, added more kaiju / sea louse footage, and cut out some of the stupider jokes that redheaded member of service kept cracking.

Didn't realize until I saw this that the Russian officer was aboard the ship trying to STOP the launch.

The scene with the US and USSR diplos also ran longer and included the Japanese prime minister actually standing up more vociferously to getting double teamed for nuclear disaster.

I thought this was big- after the conference there is an establishing shot marked "RUSSIAN NUCLEAR LAUNCH SATELLITE" (or something similar.) What doesn't show up in the American cut is immediately afterward there is a shot of an even bigger and meaner looking "AMERICAN NUCLEAR LAUNCH SATELLITE," implying that both the USSR -and- the US can't really be trusted to keep the 'no nukes in space' treaty.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Happy Chinese New Year from your kaiju pals!

https://twitter.com/OMEGAGORMARU/status/1092893949730140163

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Yeah, if Striker Eureka wasn't there to take out the kaiju who went through the Sydney wall like it was paper mache, Australia would have gotten hosed up.

If you have problems remembering this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHC8wZHB3ZI

Note the kaiju is acting like "what, did I pass through something?!"

They stole that angle of Striker uppercutting the kaiju from an early episode of Ultraman Great (coincidentally shot in Australia as well by someone who went on to work on effects in Farspace) but I'm not complaining. They stole a lot of shots from Ultraman shows, actually.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 10, 2019

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Davros1 posted:

Or he's demanding someone get him photos of that blasted Spider-Man!

I'm seeing Godzilla with a brillo cut, chewing a stogie in his mouth and adjusting his already loosened tie. Yeah, that works.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Davros1 posted:

Obligatory:

BTW, if you wanna know what happens next..

Here, have some bad breath!

If you wanted to make an edit, you could always make the blast orange red and then put a charred skeleton chomping a cigar yelling "I SAID-- GET PARKER IN HERE" in the next frame I guess

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 23, 2019

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/Mike_Dougherty/status/1121236143607967744?s=19

Holy poo poo, Rodan got armor plating!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Makes sense if you figure he has a lotta radioactive stuff inside him, he's literally a walking pile of undepleted uranium.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

even OG Ghidorah was kinda mean lookin (ignorin' dem wires :))

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

McSpanky posted:

Where's my Legendary-style Gamera for the 21st century

quote:

Who will be guardian of the universe and friend to all children now??

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Tekne posted:

Accidental double post because I am dumb.

Just imagine:

Nah, not Ultraman the Next. You want roided Ultraman, it's Gaia Supreme or Titus.

But yeah, to keep it from breaking genre, Jet Jaguar.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Burkion posted:

One neat thing the art shows

Rodan teaming up with Godzilla to fight Ghidorah

Just like the classics (sniff!)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I'M BEING BORN

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/video/4082353-godzilla-takes-over-hollywood-cinerama-dome/

Video look from a few more angles of the Godzilla head.

drat, they even matched the spotlights to the color of the atomic breath..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Just a reminder that this is coming too for iOS and Android.. play as any of the Godzillas you want!

quote:

Godzilla (1954, 1966, 1968, 1984, 1989, 1994, 1995, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2016)

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2019/05/10/protect-your-city-in-new-godzilla-defense-force-mobile-game

https://wikizilla.org/wiki/Godzilla_Defense_Force

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Don't blame Trimpe for that. From what I understand from those days, the higher-ups at Marvel decided that once they got the license, they wanted Doug Moench to write and Herb Trimpe to draw it. Herb was picked because of his popularity on drawing the Incredible Hulk, a 'monstrous' character, and Moench was an up-and-coming writer who had also worked on the Hulk. That was literally the only reason they were picked.

There weren't really any James Stokoe level artists back then who wanted to draw the comic. Trimpe was it.

They also couldn't get anyone to ink Trimpe continuously for the same reasons. You need an inker who's familiar with the penciller's style, and no one worked on enough issues in this comic to really click with his style.

It was always farmed out to whomever was available, usually people in the Bullpen who didn't have any regular assignments. Trimpe often wound up inking his own pencils because no one could be found by deadline time who was willing/available to do it. Interestingly, Fred Kida, a Japanese American comic artist seemed to be one of the more popular inkers for Godzilla, but didn't stay on for long.

Moench and Trimpe had some help (Archie Goodwin, a senior editor at the time told him to use SHIELD and Stan Lee himself supposedly gave his blessing to Moench despite being totally unfamiliar with the Godzilla genre) but there were a lot of other things in the way. Toho's contract with Marvel specifically -ONLY- licensed Godzilla to Marvel. They were forbidden from using any other Toho property, like Mothra or Rodan. So Moench had to dream up Marvel original characters for opponents, like Yetrigar, and the terrible trio of Mega-monsters of Rhiann, Krollar, and Triax. And Red Ronin, who was supposed to be a stand-in for Jet Jaguar.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 13, 2019

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

To be fair, the licence agreement was that Marvel got to use Godzilla and Toei got to use Spider-Man and Captain America and they were also pretty far from being 'on model' :v:

Toei's another company from Toho, who owns Godzilla. Totally different deal, as Burkion says.

Also, another reason Marvel had to create its own monsters in its Godzilla series: Toho was perfectly willing to license Rodan, Mothra, Ghidorah, etc. all Marvel had to do was pay for each one. And they would charge the same price for each monster. Marvel could barely afford -just- Godzilla.

Back then, Marvel was nowhere near the moneymaking giant it is now and simply couldn't. But man, if they did, those comics could have rocked more.

Also, Marvel's Godzilla didn't tank because of low sales or reader enthusiasm, it was doing well in both of those, but Toho decided that they were going to increase the licensing fee and that's when it was ended, as Marvel couldn't afford the increase.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 13, 2019

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Mantis42 posted:

I don't want Disney to own everything but it would be cool to see Godzilla just stomp on 90% of the Marvel cast in the next movie.

Avengers: EndedbyGodzilla

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Good news: Box Office Mojo says KOTM is #1!

Bad news: it's performing at the low end of the studios' expectations.

Saw it, pretty decent IMHO, wouldn't refuse a repeat viewing.

Hope there's something left of the GodzillaCave if only to see if a Titan version of Alfred shows up next movie (Your slippers, sah? I imagine Godzilla prefers the big fuzzy pair with Mothra heads on them)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/02/media/box-office-weekend-rocketman-godzilla/index.html

It should say "Godzilla stomps all over Aladdin and Rocketman"

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/artofmmignola/status/1245147610576371712

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/06/24/sahara-dust-storm-us-gulf-coast-texas-what-to-expect/3250102001/

Gee, it sure doesn't look like Godzilla... also it doesn't seem to be stomping through any major cities and destroying buildings..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Welp, Godzilla finally got to go on a date..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbgPW68Psqw

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

It's kinda murky, but it's at least five years after the events of the first movie.

What's interesting is that Striker Eureka appears very early in the first episode (explained by a flashback in later episodes) and from there it tries very hard to remain faithful to the precepts of the PPDC.

Agreed that there's a lot of poo poo that happens in this series that's extremely grim for an anime, but not really for Pacific Rim as a whole..

Whomever did the music and audio FX did a masterful job of keeping the flavor of the original movie. Also appreciated the slow ponderousness they managed to instill in the mech animation; Pacific Rim Uprising felt to me like they ignored that aspect and just made the jaegers animate at the normal speed of a Saturday Morning cartoon, making everything look super cheap.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 7, 2021

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

The weirdest bit to me is one of the US releases of Gorath, where the copy mentions "giant monsters being disturbed from their slumber" even though the monster stuff was cut from that version (which really disappointed me as a kid, I should go back and give that movie a fair shake if I can ever find it.

Always thought that was definitely a skippable scene from the Japanese cut of Gorath; basically a bunch of the main characters flying in the VTOL that will get reused four years later in the first Ultraman kill a giant walrus.

The only rationale provided is that if they let him loose, he'll cause more damage to the nuclear rockets pushing the Earth out of orbit.

Also, they literally only dug up ONE giant walrus; they should have found more in their diggings unless that one giant walrus just happened to be the last..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Jet Jaguar, god love him, is Ultraman Lite anyway, so they should figure out whatever licensing issues there are and get Legendary Ultraman in the mix

Wouldn't happen without a gigantic payout to Tsuburaya, who would still demand final approval on everything, and you'd likely still wind up with the live-action version of the Hanna-Barbera Ultraman USA. Ew.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Apple should go for some synergy and do a Ted Lasso vs. Godzilla spoof.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

They can do it in that weird claymation style that they used for 'The Missing Christmas Mustache..'

They already have all the models, just make a Godzilla claymation and have him stomp all the characters, record some screams, boom you're done

(Hopefully this isn't what they ACTUALLY plan for a Monsterverse series)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

a little on the nose there..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Pretty sure all the pieces of Digital Donkey Kong are still at the foot of the scale model Tokyo Tower somewhere in a Toho backlot

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I remember reading somewhere that during the filming of the original Gojira, they wanted to film the scene where Gojira reveals himself to the inhabitants of Odo Island looming over the horizon in the daytime as in the shot we got, but with a cow in his mouth.

Not sure whether or not the shot was filmed but wound up being cut because it didn't look good enough, or if they just decided they couldn't pull it off convincingly so they didn't even try.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Jet Jaguar only has flying and punch punch punch, no dizzying array of kaiju-murdering beam / energy weapons

and a disarming smile

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I'm just about to go see it, but one thing I haven't seen mentioned a lot is that GM-1 was produced with a budget of loving 15 Million DOLLARS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

So I saw Godzilla Minus One in a typical suburban movie theater, and as others have observed, was astonished that the theatre was surprisingly full for a Sunday morning matinee.

An elderly couple sitting across from me could be heard plainly sobbing at certain points of the movie, both annoying and comforting because I was tearing up at pretty much the same times..

Yes, the movie was stirring and great, and the aviation geek in me was tickled pink that the Local Fighter Shinden was an actual prototype plane made by Japan during WW2.. a fact I only discovered after I watched the movie and googled 'Local Fighter Shinden'

Its futuristic look had me thinking, oh, well I guess they wanted to make a 1940's version of The Super X, and boy did it look good in its CGI flights, I kept expecting G -1 to have taken a bite out of it while Shikishima kept razzing him.. And now to realize that it was a real plane (though only two were ever made) just thrills me!

Check it out, here's a photo of the REAL THING from 1945..